IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

1 hour ago, shadowlight said:

I am not a fan of 18.04.  They install a lot of stuff not needed as part of bare bones system and their mini install is able to boot under UEFI but will not install the required UEFI stuff after finishing the install.

Are you referring to the Desktop version, or does that also apply to the Server version?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

7 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Yeah, I am not a fan of 18.04.  They install a lot of stuff not needed as part of bare bones system and their mini install is able to boot under UEFI but will not install the required UEFI stuff after finishing the install.

I'm not fan of systemd overall. But my resolv.conf is pointing straight to my own name servers.

I have two servers running 18.04 Server, with only ssh-server selected from the installer. Network configured through /etc/network/interfaces same way as on Debian. I only replaced the kernel with my own one. But other than that I didn't need to modify the installation and didn't notice much unnecessary extra, just added the things needed by HQPlayer Embedded.

I also have one server running Fedora 29, which has fairly good option to install quite minimal system when you start from the Server installer. But Fedora is all-in on systemd and few other things, probably partially because they employ the main systemd developer...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 3/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, Miska said:

That is one of the bugs in the Ravenna ALSA driver... It doesn't start playback again after stopping once, unless the entire device is closed and reopened...

Hi,

now something strange happened. Roon closed a track. From that moment on I couldn’t connect to HQ with ipaddress:8088. I closed connection to Roon. Problem persisted. After deleting the hqplayerd.xml and starting HQPlayer I could get access through my browser. But I can’t configure it. Everytime when I hit apply It responds failed!

6 hours ago, Miska said:

I have two servers running 18.04 Server, with only ssh-server selected from the installer. Network configured through /etc/network/interfaces same way as on Debian. I only replaced the kernel with my own one. But other than that I didn't need to modify the installation and didn't notice much unnecessary extra, just added the things needed by HQPlayer Embedded.

I assume that the only reason to use your kernel would be direct attach DAC/ALSA ... I'm using HQPe on an application server with stock kernel (Ubuntu 18.10). I could swap it in if there were a benefit but I'm trying to minimize variables at this point as I install all the upgrades to the server (starting with a Dell T420 E5-2440, 48Gb ECC) ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

I assume that the only reason to use your kernel would be direct attach DAC/ALSA ... I'm using HQPe on an application server with stock kernel (Ubuntu 18.10). I could swap it in if there were a benefit but I'm trying to minimize variables at this point as I install all the upgrades to the server (starting with a Dell T420 E5-2440, 48Gb ECC) ...

Depends on what you want... But overall I would stay away from short-term Ubuntu releases. If you want bleeding edge, I'd rather go with Fedora.

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Depends on what you want... But overall I would stay away from short-term Ubuntu releases. If you want bleeding edge, I'd rather go with Fedora.

No doubt there are advantages and disadvantages ... I'm most familiar with debian/ubuntu ... the third parties/hardware folks seem to support ubuntu better e,g, NVidia and Mellanox, for example the Mellanox drivers are currently at 18.10 Ubuntu but Fedora 28 .... my point/question is that I am assuming things like RT and the ALSA mods that are available in your image would have no bearing on a server that only intends to serve NAAs, correct?

12 minutes ago, jabbr said:

No doubt there are advantages and disadvantages ... I'm most familiar with debian/ubuntu ... the third parties/hardware folks seem to support ubuntu better e,g, NVidia and Mellanox, for example the Mellanox drivers are currently at 18.10 Ubuntu but Fedora 28 .... my point/question is that I am assuming things like RT and the ALSA mods that are available in your image would have no bearing on a server that only intends to serve NAAs, correct?

Yes, not as much... But for Ubuntu I'd rather stick with LTS ones unless you really want to go through the trouble of switching over to another version every six months and risking hardware support. At least Nvidia won't be very quick to follow, so be prepared to be in a strange gap for months if you go with non-LTS.

P.S. Isn't Mellanox supported by the mainline kernel without need for 3rd party drivers?

At least when 18.10 first came out, HQP wouldn't run on it. I rolled back to 18.04 and will stay there until 19.04 comes out.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, not as much... But for Ubuntu I'd rather stick with LTS ones unless you really want to go through the trouble of switching over to another version every six months and risking hardware support. At least Nvidia won't be very quick to follow, so be prepared to be in a strange gap for months if you go with non-LTS.

P.S. Isn't Mellanox supported by the mainline kernel without need for 3rd party drivers?

Ok, this is great advice for most people ... I'm prepared to reinstall on 18.04 if problems encountered...

Mellanox ... I like to use the latest drivers for some of this stuff, for example the included IXGBE driver somehow doesn't work for me and I recompile on my machine ... but in general folks should stick with LTS.

Hi,

I'm currently running ROON / HQP Desktop on a NUC I5-6260U WIN10 setup.
I'm planning to switch to a new RYZEN 2700 Linux custom build: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/user/volpone/saved/pd2HhM
More computing power to run convolution and filters engine !

• Pros and cons about using HQP Embedded vs Desktop version ? Especially interested on Embedded version Web UI to avoid RDP or VNC to manage HQP (headless server in a closet), however HQPe price is higher.
  • I heard about a rebate on HQP Desktop license when buying second license for other OS , confirmation ?
  • Fedora 29 or Ubuntu 18.04 ?

Thank's for your insights ...

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

1 hour ago, volpone said:

I heard about a rebate on HQP Desktop license when buying second license for other OS , confirmation ?

Yes, you can send Signalyst a request (e.g. you have a Windows license and wish to buy a Linux license) specifying the email address with which you registered and the fingerprint of your system which you find in Help(About. Miska will send you a 50% discount coupon towards the purchase of your 2nd license. 

6 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

Yes, you can send Signalyst a request (e.g. you have a Windows license and wish to buy a Linux license) specifying the email address with which you registered and the fingerprint of your system which you find in Help(About. Miska will send you a 50% discount coupon towards the purchase of your 2nd license. 

Thank's @bibo01

Discount coupon only available for HQP Desktop, not embedded version ?

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

On 3/6/2019 at 6:42 PM, michaelvv said:

Thanks it worked like a dream. 🙂

If any other is interested, this is what I have been doing.

apt install qt5-default build-essential
qmake
make

you could also use LMS to send files to hqplayer embedded...including qobuz and tidal
https://www.nexthardware.com/forum/pc-top-software/90075-gentooplayer-immagini-x86_64-raspberry-pi-3b-3b-allo-sparkyusbbridge-beaglebone-black-botic-driver-18.html#post989351

10 hours ago, jabbr said:

Ok, this is great advice for most people ... I'm prepared to reinstall on 18.04 if problems encountered...

Mellanox ... I like to use the latest drivers for some of this stuff, for example the included IXGBE driver somehow doesn't work for me and I recompile on my machine ... but in general folks should stick with LTS.

Also now with 18.04.2 release, there are 'hwe' kernel and xorg to stay current with hardware support/drivers.

If one now installs from 18.04.2 install media, the hwe parts are installed automatically. If the installation is older, those can be installed manually. That brings kernel version 4.18. 'hwe' stands for Hardware Enablement.

A bit old page, but explained here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/RollingLTSEnablementStack

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Hi Filippo.

Thanks for the info. I have been using the hqp-control , and I now have my home brewed software and hqplayer

up running. I have implemented the most of the API function from it, and it works nicely.

I play through your gentooplayer and I'm very satisfied with the result.

Best Michael.

7 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

No files will be sent to hqp embedded on my side, whatever I tried. Could you be so nice to share exact settings in upnp/dlna bridge to make it finally work if it worked for you?

15 minutes ago, skipspence said:

No files will be sent to hqp embedded on my side, whatever I tried. Could you be so nice to share exact settings in upnp/dlna bridge to make it finally work if it worked for you?

those instructions are valid for gentoo ...

for other distro try to have a look at this:

https://www.nexthardware.com/forum/pc-top-software/90915-mini-guida-come-usare-hqplayer-embedded-hqplayerd-con-lms.html

8 minutes ago, skipspence said:

To me it's really game stopper to acquire HQP, since all my music is stored on LMS (Daphile). I try now to go LMS>Minimserver(Windows)>BubbleUPnP way which works, but is simply too long... Why I can't send files direct via LMS UPnP/DLNA bridge is still unclear, maybe that LMS plugin is buggy.

the plugin to use must be version 0.2.9.5.

more recent versions do not work

PS: and let's talk about Hqplayer Embedded

37 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

Thank you so much, but guess I'll only be able to install this by adding the link to repository in LMS which doesn't work.