IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I've updated to 4.9 HQPe on Debian Stretch. It appears I still have malformed code after a reboot?

And it reverts to internal clock after reboot:

It is normal that it reverts to internal clock after reboot, but at least for me it changes clock to Toslink when the input is selected as it should be.

It seems to revert to internal clock by itself sometimes, probably if it looses sync on the input, which sounds reasonable. IOW, when CCA cuts the bitstream/clock output.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

54 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Also I updated NAA on UpBoard Gateway from here:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/naa-356-x64.7z

And on HQPe Config page it now shows "hqplayer: Pre Box S2..." instead of "naa: Pre Box S2...". 

Is that how it's supposed to be? Just wanted to double check. Obviously doesn't affect function.

1101276594_ScreenShot2019-02-26at6_28_38pm.png.4e94c65871aee4b0f1549e9a0aeb82c4.png

Ahh, crap, I've forgot to change the default hostname parameter between the builds. I'll make a new build. Pretty cosmetic though.

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is normal that it reverts to internal clock after reboot, but at least for me it changes clock to Toslink when the input is selected as it should be.

It seems to revert to internal clock by itself sometimes, probably if it looses sync on the input, which sounds reasonable. IOW, when CCA cuts the bitstream/clock output.

No problem. 

Are you getting the malformed code in Config .xml file too, like above, after reboot?

Or is that how the code is supposed to look?

12 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Are you getting the malformed code in Config .xml file too, like above, after reboot?

Or is that how the code is supposed to look?

It doesn't look like malformed, although you've probably got those lines seemingly cut by a dollar sign because of the editor display.

5 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @Miska

With Merging's recent Linux Ravenna ALSA driver, does this mean you can add it to HQP Embedded (both your bootable image and with your custom headers) so that HQPe can play to a Merging Hapi/Horus/NADAC, for example, over network?

No NAA required? Just select ALSA backend in HQPe?

https://www.merging.com/products/alsa_ravenna_aes67_driver

Miska certainly could, but it seems to me that Merging Linux driver is still early beta.

Have you managed to make it worK?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I'm working on it. But I want to make sure things work before releasing something out... I'm just a bit short of hands here. :D

All good.

If we assume it does work as it should (and no timeline of when it will work), am I correct that theoretically the DAC should should show up under ALSA backend devices list and therefore no NAA required?

4 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

If we assume it does work as it should (and no timeline of when it will work), am I correct that theoretically the DAC should should show up under ALSA backend devices list and therefore no NAA required?

Yes, that's the case. You can still use NAA if you like, for example if you want to go over WiFi.

People into experimental things can already go ahead with Merging driver and HQPlayer. It should mostly work with latest versions as long as you select same sampling rate at the converter side, from the driver (web interface) and HQPlayer. With HQPE, configure it for fixed output rate, otherwise you'll have some challenges ahead.

Hi Miska,

am using audiolinux with HQPlayer embedded as try and merging Hapi.

I can configure the aneman matrix but the problem comes when I try to start Hqplayerd library. When I select a disk in library I get a blank screen. Have to select Main in order to see the selected disk. There I can see the files of the disk, but can only select the first! When I start the first, nothing happens, the aneman matrix should become green. In the Main of HQPlayer it states that it is playin, but I have the feeling that nothing started. Also see no progress of the music I am playing.

what am I doing wrong ?

cheers

sigi

Hi,

I managed it with 2 channels. Music was the result. Later I tried with 8 channels and room correction filters. Although Hapi worked with the 8 channels, I think that the filters were not considered! SQ was very strange.  I used wav. files, but what wondered me is that they didn’t showed after storing  at the right side, but in the middle row, as wav file from 0-7?

in the desktop I always had 2 rows, one for input- one for output! Input was 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 and output was 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

Can you explain?

3 hours ago, Sigi said:

I can configure the aneman matrix but the problem comes when I try to start Hqplayerd library. When I select a disk in library I get a blank screen. Have to select Main in order to see the selected disk. There I can see the files of the disk, but can only select the first!

Just curious, what version of HQPE are you on?

1 hour ago, Sigi said:

Later I tried with 8 channels and room correction filters. Although Hapi worked with the 8 channels, I think that the filters were not considered! SQ was very strange.  I used wav. files, but what wondered me is that they didn’t showed after storing  at the right side, but in the middle row, as wav file from 0-7?

in the desktop I always had 2 rows, one for input- one for output! Input was 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 and output was 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

When you upload filters for convolution, they are stored internally with fixed channel specific names. Difference to Desktop is that on Desktop you are referring to accessible local files, while with Embedded the files are uploaded and need to be stored in a way that they don't conflict with each other.

Web interface layout in itself is dynamic, so browser decides how the individual elements are located. It is done that way to accommodate from mobile phone browsers to 4K displays.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:43 AM, bibo01 said:

Have you managed to make it worK?

Me? No chance, I don't have a Mergic DAC. I've been wanting to get a Hapi + DA8P for a while, waiting for Linux support. This means I could use it at my desk for HQPe audio and MacOS audio and Windows PC audio.

All audio over ethernet cable - no USB devices at all.

The upcoming Anubis (with DXD/DSD DAC option) is rumoured to be just a little more than half the price of Hapi + DA8P... Rumours may be all over the place at this stage though.

Full info coming in a few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Me? No chance, I don't have a Mergic DAC. I've been wanting to get a Hapi + DA8P for a while, waiting for Linux support. This means I could use it at my desk for HQPe audio and MacOS audio and Windows PC audio.

All audio over ethernet cable - no USB devices at all.

The upcoming Anubis (with DXD/DSD DAC option) is rumoured to be just a little more than half the price of Hapi + DA8P... 

More info coming in a few weeks.

I have been in touch with Sigi and Piero AudioLinux to follow their developments in making Hapi work under Linux - it can be useful to @Miska too.

It seems that we are getting very close to get full control of Hapi, after all Sigi has just managed to get 2ch playback!

What interests me is to be able to upmix at driver level 2ch -> 8ch. This is possible in Windows/OSx, but it still has to be verified in Linux.

In the meantime, Piero has given me a few recommendations:

1) Hapi and AudioLinux are on the same network, e.g. 192.168.1.x;
2) Frequency used by HQPlayer is the same configured in deamon's web interface;
3) "DAC Ravenna" bits in HQPlayer are set on 32 (not "auto"). 

If 2) is verified, it means that DAC cannot dynamically change frequency. :(

1 hour ago, bibo01 said:

I have been in touch with Sigi and Piero AudioLinux to follow their developments in making Hapi work under Linux - it can be useful to @Miska too.

It seems that we are getting very close to get full control of Hapi, after all Sigi has just managed to get 2ch playback!

What interests me is to be able to upmix at driver level 2ch -> 8ch. This is possible in Windows/OSx, but it still has to be verified in Linux.

In the meantime, Piero has given me a few recommendations:

1) Hapi and AudioLinux are on the same network, e.g. 192.168.1.x;

I'm certain Jussi will have it all working nicely, in due course. I've seen him work miracles ! 

On 2/15/2019 at 4:39 PM, hifi25nl said:

Interesting... but why do you ask for computer password and WiFi password?

I don't think is a good idea for security. HQPlayer can be controlled with his own username and password. Giving permission for a ssh connection to a closed source app is a little dangerous, I think.

The ssh sesion is necessary to restart the hqplayerd daemon and to get info like filesystem status. cpu load

8 hours ago, bibo01 said:

As I mentioned earlier, that is my experience too. Rate needs to be set from three places.

Have you managed to start playback again after stopping it once? Without restarting HQPlayer.

Sounds like you are still using HQPE 4.8?

What interests me is to be able to upmix at driver level 2ch -> 8ch.

Why do you want to do this?

55 minutes ago, Miska said:
9 hours ago, bibo01 said:

What interests me is to be able to upmix at driver level 2ch -> 8ch.

Why do you want to do this?

By upmixing at drivers level and then downmixing 8ch->2ch at output with a specially made cable, you use all 8 D/As onboard ES9028 chip and achieve higher SQ.

59 minutes ago, Miska said:
9 hours ago, bibo01 said:

Sounds like you are still using HQPE 4.8?

Initial tests were with HQPE, but lately @Sigi is using HQPD.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Have you managed to start playback again after stopping it once? Without restarting HQPlayer.

I don't know. @Sigi should be able to answer that.

Hi,

Before answering I will upgrade to the new version of HQPlayer and then report.

With 8 channels configuration yesterday Hapi was playing all the channels. But SQ was as if it was sending left and right channel to all of the 8 channels ,  without considering convolution with the correction filters configured in the matrix.

till later

sigi

2 hours ago, bibo01 said:

By upmixing at drivers level and then downmixing 8ch->2ch at output with a specially made cable, you use all 8 D/As onboard ES9028 chip and achieve higher SQ.

You get better sound quality by running individual modulator for each of those channels. It notably drops the noise floor. So instead output 8 channels from HQPlayer with matrix mapping from stereo to 8 channels.

Ok, I have installed HQPlayer-embedded 4.9.0.1

The Problem with library persists

1. In library I choose Title of CD and press play button

2. It returns with the list of files of that CD ok

3. I choose a file of that list and press play

4. I again get the list of files

5. In order to see if it is playing I have to go to bottom of the display in order to be able to select main. (In case of a huge library this can take a while till you arrive the bottom.)

6. There I can see if it is playing, but have no chance to see the progress of playing, eg how much was played, how long till the end, etc

With 8 channels I have the following problem

1. Can’t use easy connect as in windows. Get no connection!

2. By using Aneman sometimes connection works, sometimes not.

3. SQ is not comparable to what I hear under Win 2012! Something is not correct with the convolution of the matrix.

4. If I use the menu convolution instead of matrix, after selecting the filters I  enable the convolution and store the selection

5. After opening the convolution menu again, no filters appear, it looks like the beginning, without selected filters

55 minutes ago, Sigi said:

5. In order to see if it is playing I have to go to bottom of the display in order to be able to select main. (In case of a huge library this can take a while till you arrive the bottom.)

I can add "Main" link on the left side same way as "Help" is now on the right.

56 minutes ago, Sigi said:

6. There I can see if it is playing, but have no chance to see the progress of playing, eg how much was played, how long till the end, etc

It is not constantly reloading the page, so it is only updated when you reload.

1 hour ago, Sigi said:

3. SQ is not comparable to what I hear under Win 2012! Something is not correct with the convolution of the matrix.

4. If I use the menu convolution instead of matrix, after selecting the filters I  enable the convolution and store the selection

Have you checked log file if the filters are loaded and activated properly?

And remember to turn off convolution engine if you use matrix or vice versa. On Desktop both share the same convolution setup, on Embedded they don't.

1 hour ago, Sigi said:

5. After opening the convolution menu again, no filters appear, it looks like the beginning, without selected filters

It is not showing the filter as "set", like below?

image.png.00b6c5149e7a4438bef17cfbabae7b90.png

Ok, in convolution it is flagged as set! Sorry, was accustomed to see the file in the desktop version. I know that if I use convolution Menu that I have to disconnect the Matrix and viceversa .

I will try 8 channels again, and then send you the log. Am not sure if I used it in correct way. In HQP I give 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2 and for one the corresponding 1357 and for 2=  2468. In Aneman I think I will have to do it in same manner.

here for 2 channels:

3A815A9D-3BEA-49A4-9941-BCCA600937E1.thumb.jpeg.028b1b16f5cb27ea95c7e119a5598435.jpeg