IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

Generally, for all alsamixer settings, you can store the current values for next reboot using "alsactl store" on boot it should restore these values, but you can also do it explicitly at other times using "alsactl restore".

Many thanks.

Any initial/preliminary ideas why 4.8.0 may have issues with DoP64 (and pops with 44.1)?

Or you'll will need time to look into it in detail?

Using HQPe v4.7.1, Apple Music Airplay via both Airport Express (TOSlink output) and Node 2i (TOSlink output) sounds brilliant into HQPe Input...

I think the non bitperfect playback issues I was having was affecting SQ, beyond just the obvious audible pops (I think).

Also official AirPlay (Airport Express and Node 2i) does sound better than HiFiBerry Digi+ & Shairport to my ears.

44 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I think the non bitperfect playback issues I was having was affecting SQ, beyond just the obvious audible pops (I think).

The DoP not working is not related to bitperfectness, just that there was a bug switching from PCM to DSD based on the DoP detector. If you start the interface at DSD rate it works, just the PCM <-> DSD switch was broken.

Pops, which are due to clocking issues (internal clock drifts vs incoming clock) of course... But good that some fix in Linux kernel brought these needed mixer controls in allowing proper clock selection.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

The DoP not working is not related to bitperfectness, just that there was a bug switching from PCM to DSD based on the DoP detector. If you start the interface at DSD rate it works, just the PCM <-> DSD switch was broken.

Pops, which are due to clocking issues (internal clock drifts vs incoming clock) of course... But good that some fix in Linux kernel brought these needed mixer controls in allowing proper clock selection.

Very happy with this input feature now, with USBstreamer.

I had reservations about relying on TOSlink via USBStreamer because I thought that was related to my pop issues. Now I know TOSlink with USBStreamer is not an issue at all and it can work flawlessly, so I will spread the word about HQP Embedded and this Input feature 😁

Looks like I will be keeping this Node 2i after the 30 days.

26 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you start the interface at DSD rate it works, just the PCM <-> DSD switch was broken.

What do you mean here?

I installed 4.8.0 again just now.

I left input on "Playlist".

I first started playing the DoP64 file to HiFiBerry Digi+ (via Roon), with input is still on "Playlist".

Then while Roon is playing DoP64, I select "USBStream @176k"

But I still get static sounds - clock source is correctly on TOSlink.

Is that what you meant with starting the interface at DSD rate?

4 hours ago, Sigi said:

Hi Bibo01,

the Linux driver for the Hapi is not only announced, it is available at their homepage.

You also have Linux experience, what do you recommend to begin with?

HQPlayer embedded or desktop or Pro?

regards

sigi

It shouldn't make any difference which HQP version.

My AudioLinux developer friend - Piero Olmeda - has compiled the kernel module with no problem and he has started the program with some tweaks... It seems that everything is working but he does not have the possibility to test it properly without a Horus or Hapi.
From the documentation:

• 1FS to 8FS support
  • PCM up to 384kHz
  • Native DSD support (64/128/256) in playback only (DOP not supported)
  • Interleaved and non-interleaved** 16/24/32 bit integer formats
  • Up to 64* I/O
  • Volume control
16 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

What do you mean here?

I installed 4.8.0 again just now.

I left input on "Playlist".

I first started playing the DoP64 file to HiFiBerry Digi+ (via Roon), with input is still on "Playlist".

Then while Roon is playing DoP64, I select "USBStream @176k"

But I still get static sounds - clock source is correctly on TOSlink.

Is that what you meant with starting the interface at DSD rate?

You need to change the input rate to 2822400 instead of 176400. That will kick it straight into DSD mode.

From the log you can see that otherwise it is running in endless loop trying to start input in DSD mode after it has been started in PCM.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

You need to change the input rate to 2822400 instead of 176400. That will kick it straight into DSD mode.

From the log you can see that otherwise it is running in endless loop trying to start input in DSD mode after it has been started in PCM.

Thanks. Leave nperiods in the config file? Or take it out?

4 hours ago, Miska said:

You can have HQPlayer reset the value when input is selected, I'll add it to the config file for next release. Add following item to each USBStreamer <input> element:

script="amixer -D hw:CARD=USBStreamer sset 'miniDSP Clock Selector Clock Source' 'miniDSP TOSLINK Clock'"

I deliberately set clock to Internal.

Then added the script to each line and selected DoP64 input and restarted hqplayer service:

2127238066_ScreenShot2019-02-05at11_51_55pm.thumb.png.16fb6a1bd3bbb662d1d5202601cf9a0e.png

And TOSlink clock was properly selected! So all good now. 

I don't think I should have anymore pops now with correct clock selected automatically - no human error on my part and no defaulting to internal clock.

USBStreamer input should be bulletproof now ! 

1 hour ago, bibo01 said:

It shouldn't make any difference which HQP version.

My AudioLinux developer friend - Piero Olmeda - has compiled the kernel module with no problem and he has started the program with some tweaks... It seems that everything is working but he does not have the possibility to test it properly without a Horus or Hapi.
From the documentation:

• 1FS to 8FS support
  • PCM up to 384kHz
  • Native DSD support (64/128/256) in playback only (DOP not supported)
  • Interleaved and non-interleaved** 16/24/32 bit integer formats
  • Up to 64* I/O
  • Volume control

Thank you for your support ! The Pro Version has a recording facility! Is it possible to edit the recording for title, etc.?

whatever version Install, do I have to install Ubuntu first or does a suitable exclusively audio oriented OS exist? I have a licence for HQPlayer. Do I have to pay for a Linux version?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Miska, are you working on a version that allows changing the room correction filters on the fly? You posted time ago that this is on your agenda!

Best regards

Pops are officially gone! I need to update miniDSP Tech Support to close my support case.

Listened to Coldplay's latest live album (Live in Buenos Aires) on Apple Music.

Gapless playback from Apple Music on MacOS -> Bluesound Node 2i AirPlay (over ethernet) -> miniDSP USBStreamer -> NUC7i7DNHE HQPe -> DSD512 (poly-sinc-ext2) -> Pro-Ject S2 DAC -> THX 789 amp -> AEON Flow Closed cans

Fantastic SQ!

@Miska as a feature request, can you consider adding the input bitrate on the "main" page of HQPe?

Maybe even in the "format" box on "main" page?

Like for Apple Music it would show: 44100/256/2/32?

For RBCD (Roon, UPnP, USBStreamer) it should show: 44100/1411/2/32 and etc etc

1 hour ago, Sigi said:

Thank you for your support ! The Pro Version has a recording facility! Is it possible to edit the recording for title, etc.?

whatever version Install, do I have to install Ubuntu first or does a suitable exclusively audio oriented OS exist? I have a licence for HQPlayer. Do I have to pay for a Linux version?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Miska, are you working on a version that allows changing the room correction filters on the fly? You posted time ago that this is on your agenda!

Best regards

If you already own a HQPlayer Desktop Windows license, you can buy a Linux at 50% discount. Send an email to signalyst/Miska with your system fingerprint, he will send you a coupon. 

If you have it for Mac, it works for Linux as well.

36 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Maybe even in the "format" box on "main" page?

Like for Apple Music it would show: 44100/256/2/32?

For RBCD (Roon, UPnP, USBStreamer) it should show: 44100/1411/2/32 and etc etc

HQPlayer cannot know anything about Apple Music or the bitrate you are receiving...

So the already shown format includes all relevant information...

Hi @Miska

Last night I switched input from USBStreamer to "Playlist" so that HQPe CPU loading would drop while I was sleeping.

Switching back to USBStreamer input today, I noticed pops came back and first thing was to check alsamixer and I see it had switched back to internal clock. So this script I entered didn't fix it, unless I entered the code wrong?

Not sure why the script changed to the below:

<engine

auto_family="1" cd_drive="/dev/cdrom" channels="2" cuda="0" direct_sdm="0" dsd_6db="0" fft_size="512" multicore="auto" pdm_conv="5" pdm_filt="0" removable="/media" sdm_conversion="0" sdm_integrator="0" volume_hw="0" volume_max="0" volume_min="-60" volum$

<defaults bitrate="24576000" dither="5" filter="9" modulator="6" oversampling="9" samplerate="768000" volume="-12"/>

<alsa channel_offset="0" dac_bits="24" device="hw:0,0" dualwire="0" friendly_name="" pack_sdm="0" period_time="100" volume_element="Master"/>

<network address="naa" dac_bits="0" device="hw:CARD=Digital,DEV=0" dualwire="0" friendly_name="naa: Pre Box S2 Digital: USB Audio" ipv6="0" pack_sdm="0" period_time="0"/>

<input channels="2" device="hw:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0" name="USBStreamer @44.1k" nperiods="4" period_time="100" samplerate="44100" script="amixer -D hw:CARD=USBStreamer sset &apos;miniDSP Clock Selector Clock Source&apos; &apos;miniDSP TOSLINK Clock&apo$

<input channels="2" device="hw:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0" name="USBStreamer @48k" nperiods="4" period_time="100" samplerate="48000" script="amixer -D hw:CARD=USBStreamer sset &apos;miniDSP Clock Selector Clock Source&apos; &apos;miniDSP TOSLINK Clock&apos;$

<input channels="2" device="hw:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0" name="USBStreamer @88.2k" nperiods="4" period_time="100" samplerate="88200" script="amixer -D hw:CARD=USBStreamer sset &apos;miniDSP Clock Selector Clock Source&apos; &apos;miniDSP TOSLINK Clock&apo$

<input channels="2" device="hw:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0" name="USBStreamer @96k" nperiods="4" period_time="100" samplerate="96000" script="amixer -D hw:CARD=USBStreamer sset &apos;miniDSP Clock Selector Clock Source&apos; &apos;miniDSP TOSLINK Clock&apos;$

<input channels="2" device="hw:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0" format="auto" name="USBStreamer @DoP64" nperiods="4" pack_sdm="1" period_time="100" samplerate="2822400" script="amixer -D hw:CARD=USBStreamer sset &apos;miniDSP Clock Selector Clock Source&apos; &a$

</engine>

Yesterday I entered the script as:

1565779994_ScreenShot2019-02-05at11_51_55pm.png.48cc1d6f4f00b83a823ad5e71e388648.thumb.png.6fc5c57b7a856633e8fccd15eec004e4.png

Not a huge deal because now we know precisely where the pops come from and I know how to switch clock source now but still requires command line / ssh which is a pain each time.

Must be the way I entered the script?

12 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Must be the way I entered the script?

It has become malformed XML. Please check that the syntax is correct. "/>" terminates the element (unless it encloses other elements or body, where it is then terminated by </name>).

You have the slash in the middle of the initial element descriptor, between attributes, and then it is not terminated...

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

It has become malformed XML. Please check that the syntax is correct. "/>" terminates the element (unless it encloses other elements or body, where it is then terminated by </name>).

You have the slash in the middle of the initial element descriptor, between attributes, and then it is not terminated...

This is why I've always avoided going into the config file up to now...  I mess things up 😁

8 hours ago, Miska said:

I looked carefully and fixed it, did a reboot of my NUC and again i get the malformed XML. So I’m doing something wrong again. Coding is not for me. I get nervous whenever I’m editing the config file.

It’s ok, I’ll wait for 4.8.1

I know how to change clock source manually until then.

3 hours ago, wealas said:

@Miska what SDM oversampling filter causes the least digital volume change latency for DSD 256? Any other ways (buffer tweaking) to make volume control faster?

Apart from the very long ones (million, 16 million taps), there's no notable difference in latency between the filters.

Not much can be done about the latency...

Currently playing Tidal via Chrome browser on my Mac, casting just the Tidal tab to Chromecast Audio puck over the network (ethernet).

Chromecast Audio TOSLink output goes into miniDSP USBStreamer feeding HQP Embedded Input.

Until Tidal desktop app supports playing to Chromecast direct, this works great.

Great SQ too!

I like Tidal's app/web-browser's "suggested new tracks" and "suggested new albums".. some great recommendations for discovery.

I have Roon and it's great for my local drive collection but unfortunately Roon doesn't have these features of the always improving Tidal app, especially for discovery.