IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

On 2/10/2022 at 12:45 AM, Miska said:

Seems to work with the "amd" build:

It is interesting that with the 4.16.2 AMD version on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS desktop, my passive cooled i7-9700 can also upsampling even 192kHz PCM to DSD512 with ext2 filter and ASDM5ECv2 modulator. I need to allow the CPU to run max at 4.3GHz (AVX offset 2) so CPU max temp after 1.5hrs of playing reached about 85degC. A bit too hot.

For comparision, if upsampling 192kHz to DSD256 with ext2 filter and ASDM7ECv2 modulator, my CPU only need to set max at 4GHz (AVX offset 2) so max temp after 1.5hrs of playing will be just about 65degC! ☺

For Holo Spring 3 L2, which combination do you recommend to use: DSD512 with ext2/ext2/5EC or DSD256 with ext3/ext2/7ECv2?

Thanks

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Which one sounds better to you? From technical performance point of view you are certainly fine already with DSD256.

I have not done any intensive listening test to compare yet. Early impression is for 1x I still prefer the DSD256 ext3 / 7ECv2 over the DSD512 ext2 / 5ECv2.

If DSD512 with 5EC (slightly lower load than 5ECv2) is technically better than DSD256 with 7ECv2 on Holo Spring 3 then I'll try to switch back again and test.

If not, I might just be happy with DSD256/7ECv2 and enjoy the much cooler HQPlayer Server machine.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

Jussi a question
when I use embedded mounted on a USB stick
can I see the functioning of the cpu and the cores used?
in short, a sort of task manager
I guess with on-screen controls ...
on linux they are very poor.
thank you.

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

On 1/21/2022 at 1:37 PM, Mike Rubin said:

This is exactly what causes my issues.  Thanks again for the file editing suggestion. 

The other option that you have is to go on your DHCP server and reserve the IP address for the mac address.  So the next time you reboot it will assigned the reserved ip address to the HQPe device.

Edit: I prefer the static IP address option on my Ubuntu system.  One of this days I will have to try the image version.

Edit 2: Read the later message and your XFinity router does not have the option 🤦‍♂️

54 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

The other option that you have is to go on your DHCP server and reserve the IP address for the mac address.  So the next time you reboot it will assigned the reserved ip address to the HQPe device.

Edit: I prefer the static IP address option on my Ubuntu system.  One of this days I will have to try the image version.

Edit 2: Read the later message and your XFinity router does not have the option 🤦‍♂️

Thanks, @shadowlight.  Indeed, it is the xfinity router that causes this issue.  Could have fixed it easily if I still had an ASUS router, which allows me to revoke assigned addresses with a mouse click.

My current workaround is to power down the HQPe install and delete it from the active device list before I update.  Then, I give it a reserved DHCP address at the high end of the range, e.g., 192.168.0.250.  When that address is reserved, the router won't prioritize that device at 192.168.0.19. 

Then, I install the new HQPe version.  The router assigns it a new DHCP address, but I then change it manually to 192.168.0.19. 

Because the old MAC address associated with 192.168.0.19 now has a different address reserved, I don't get the error message that the new device wants to use an address already assigned elsewhere.  Then, I change the DHCP lease time to two minutes from two days.  After a few reboots, the new version of HQPe finally becomes 192.168.0.19.  I then change the lease time back to the default. 

Until that happens, I can limp along with HQPD Controller and HQPW using hqplayer.local and with manually setting the current address in Roon to whatever the new installation is using before it settles in at 192.168.0.19.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 hour ago, robi20064 said:

Miska,

Do you think that recent Linux kernel changes regarding TCP are going to have any (positive) effect on HQPe performance or these are never going to be significant for our standard use cases?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-TCP-Optimization

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-Faster-csum_partial

Also, playing with the p-state of the Alder Lake Intel processor could be a promising way to improve CPU utilization.

On my system, with p-state in performance mode, I seem to have a better utilization of the active cores.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-12900k-pstate&num=1

18 hours ago, robi20064 said:

Miska,

Do you think that recent Linux kernel changes regarding TCP are going to have any (positive) effect on HQPe performance or these are never going to be significant for our standard use cases?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-TCP-Optimization

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-Faster-csum_partial

I don't think the former one is very much applicable to our use cases. More for things like web servers.

But the latter one should have benefits also on low power NAA devices and such.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

16 hours ago, SwissBear said:

Also, playing with the p-state of the Alder Lake Intel processor could be a promising way to improve CPU utilization.

On my system, with p-state in performance mode, I seem to have a better utilization of the active cores.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-12900k-pstate&num=1

This is something managed by the OS kernel. It can certainly have some benefits. HQPlayer is kind of easy workload in a sense that it creates constant load patterns that vary very little.

Biggest challenges are usually related to situations where there are sudden changes to CPU load and kernel needs to make decisions what to do about CPU parameters based on some predictions about future loads.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:45 AM, Miska said:

This is something managed by the OS kernel. It can certainly have some benefits. HQPlayer is kind of easy workload in a sense that it creates constant load patterns that vary very little.

Biggest challenges are usually related to situations where there are sudden changes to CPU load and kernel needs to make decisions what to do about CPU parameters based on some predictions about future loads.

Thanks for the answer. On my system (i9 Alder Lake and kernel 5.17rc), the workload of the most loaded cores is lower than 40% when p-state is in performance mode and close to 50% when p-state is in powersave mode. Not sure whether this is cosmetic or real. Does not make a huge difference as I still have some interruptions when trying DSD1024.

Cannot wait for the release of 4.30 to taste the results of your latest developments 😉.

2 hours ago, SwissBear said:

Thanks for the answer. On my system (i9 Alder Lake and kernel 5.17rc), the workload of the most loaded cores is lower than 40% when p-state is in performance mode and close to 50% when p-state is in powersave mode. Not sure whether this is cosmetic or real.

Load percentage is always relative to the clock speed. So 50% load at 4 GHz would equal to 100% load at 2 GHz. Which is of course same absolute load in both cases, but percentage of available computing power at given frequency is still correct. Of course when OS decides to change clocks based on the load, the load percentage changes too.

Technically load % calculation could take the active CPU clocks into account as well, but usually it doesn't. Because it cannot make assumptions about what will actually happen about the clocks. For example laptop running on battery vs laptop running plugged in.

The latest version 4.30.0 version of HQPlayer Embedded doesn‘t start for me - it results in Kernel Panic (see screenshot). That also happened with 4.29.2, while 4.29.3 to my relief again worked…

Is there something I can fix or do? Or is this something @Miska in the packages or so that go into your image (which I flash onto an USB stick and then boot from it)?

92E08A6F-A69F-44A8-ACA3-12B681EE4A4B.jpeg

Sure, HQPe OS. As said, happened with 4.29.2 as well, never before (didn‘t try 4.29.1 but 4.29.0 was fine) and 4.29.3 was fine as well. Always using balenaetcher with verification and the same USB sticks. Downloaded several times (I‘m using the amd version as well). 

58 minutes ago, Bertel said:

Sure, HQPe OS. As said, happened with 4.29.2 as well, never before (didn‘t try 4.29.1 but 4.29.0 was fine) and 4.29.3 was fine as well. Always using balenaetcher with verification and the same USB sticks. Downloaded several times (I‘m using the amd version as well). 

I use Rufus had issues with balenaetcher

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I use Rufus had issues with balenaetcher

When flashing hqplayer-embedded-4.30.0-x64amd (i9-12900K) with balenaEtcher I had no problems.

This new version I consider an important step in SQ increase. The performance has been improved and a new filter I particularly like in Redbook: 

poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp (Miska's recommendation).

With the PCM format 44.1kHz the Apod counter goes up for many of my albums. With the new apodizing filter, some sharpness in the sound is softened without losing resolution. 

43059804vj.png