IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

14 hours ago, Bertel said:

The latest version 4.30.0 version of HQPlayer Embedded doesn‘t start for me - it results in Kernel Panic (see screenshot). That also happened with 4.29.2, while 4.29.3 to my relief again worked…

Is there something I can fix or do? Or is this something @Miska in the packages or so that go into your image (which I flash onto an USB stick and then boot from it)?

92E08A6F-A69F-44A8-ACA3-12B681EE4A4B.jpeg

This is strange, because the kernel binary is 1:1 exactly the same between 4.29.3 and 4.30.0. And same goes for everything else on the image, except of course hqplayerd binary itself. But It shouldn't be able to crash the kernel.

Maybe there's some problem with image writing to the boot media, or something else?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

13 hours ago, Bertel said:

Sure, HQPe OS. As said, happened with 4.29.2 as well, never before (didn‘t try 4.29.1 but 4.29.0 was fine) and 4.29.3 was fine as well. Always using balenaetcher with verification and the same USB sticks. Downloaded several times (I‘m using the amd version as well). 

Etcher sometimes misbehaves and writes broken images, so you could try some other tool. I use "bmaptool" on Linux, it is nice command line utility written by one of my ex-colleagues. It makes writing to boot storage much faster with help of .bmap file so it doesn't need to write unused/empty blocks from the image.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Etcher sometimes misbehaves and writes broken images, so you could try some other tool. I use "bmaptool" on Linux, it is nice command line utility written by one of my ex-colleagues. It makes writing to boot storage much faster with help of .bmap file so it doesn't need to write unused/empty blocks from the image.

I used rufus in windows 10 to write the 4.30.0 image. Works perfectly.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

This is strange, because the kernel binary is 1:1 exactly the same between 4.29.3 and 4.30.0. And same goes for everything else on the image, except of course hqplayerd binary itself. But It shouldn't be able to crash the kernel.

Maybe there's some problem with image writing to the boot media, or something else?

Thanks. Found the issue. balenaEtcher has always worked fine for me so far. When I have created a new bootable stick, I always go into etc/systemd/network and amend the files. I only have Windows systems so I use Linux File System for Windows by Paragon Software. This sometimes has issues and I need to restart the service, seems it has corrupted the file system when writing back because it was unreadable after my amendments. Will keep an eye on that. Good to confirm that the HQPe package is flawless of course :-)

On 2/4/2021 at 9:55 AM, Rovo said:

Thank you for your assistance. That did the trick.

Below I have summarized the steps I have taken to install Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS plus HQPlayerEmbedded. Perhaps useful for people relatively inexperienced with Linux as me.

First install Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS with only the "Standard Utilities" (in principle no selections for additional packages) and optionally with "SSH Server" package (if you want to remotely control your server, which normally you want because it is very practical). During the installation for the username pick your choice, only not "hqplayer" (because this will conflict with the installation of HQPlayerEmbedded). Then do the following:

sudo apt -y remove --purge lxd snapd
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
(--> repeat above two lines until all ok!!!)
sudo apt -y autoremove --purge

sudo wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/focal/linux-headers-5.4.85-jl+_5.4.85-jl+-4_amd64.deb
sudo wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/focal/linux-image-5.4.85-jl+_5.4.85-jl+-4_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-5.4.85-jl+_5.4.85-jl+-4_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-5.4.85-jl+_5.4.85-jl+-4_amd64.deb

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/focal/libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb

sudo reboot

wget -q -O - https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
echo 'deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/ xenial main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list
sudo apt update

sudo reboot

wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/hqplayerd_4.21.1-60_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.21.1-60_amd64.deb
sudo apt install -f

sudo reboot

sudo hqplayerd -s hqplayer hqplayer
sudo systemctl enable hqplayerd
sudo systemctl restart hqplayerd
sudo systemctl status hqplayerd

You most likely want to setup a static IP-address for your server. Easiest way to do this is via your router. See your router manual for the appropriate instructions.

When you have setup your static IP-address you can access your server via "ssh", your username (as set in the installation of Ubuntu Server) and your static IP-address. For maintenance etc..

To access the configuration page of HQPlayerEmbedded, start a web browser on another computer and enter:

<static IP-address>:8088/config

(username "hqplayer" and password "hqplayer" as set in the command "hqplayerd -s hqplayer hqplayer)

@Miska, 

A year ago I installed HQPlayer 4.21.1 and am very happy with it. But yesterday I got a "nice" message from ROON stating that I needed to update to one of the latest versions of HQPlayer(Embedded). Being relatively inexperienced with Linux I wanted to check with you if the following commands will do the trick (and hopefully not mess things up like with the kernel additions from Juussi or the rocm library): 

sudo systemctl stop hqplayerd

sudo apt-get -y update

wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/hqplayerd_4.30.0-118_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.30.0-118_amd64.deb
sudo apt install -f

sudo reboot

The CPU I am using is an Intel i9-10900K (without additional GPU). Is the version 4.30.0-118_amd64 the right one to use?

Do I need to update the NAA, current version 4.1.1 (Windows)?

The advantage of updating to this newer version of HQPlayer and ROON is that ROON is able to make contact with HQPlayer easier/more stable?

Thank you in advance for your reply. 

Robert

Industry disclosure: Rolan Hi-Fi owner

Hi,

anyone able to install HQPlayer-embedded in arch linux? I am using Audiolinux on a X86 minipc player.

if I try to install it I have this message:

/var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsysprof-capture-3.42.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Rgds.

2 hours ago, Rovo said:

year ago I installed HQPlayer 4.21.1 and am very happy with it. But yesterday I got a "nice" message from ROON stating that I needed to update to one of the latest versions of HQPlayer(Embedded). Being relatively inexperienced with Linux I wanted to check with you if the following commands will do the trick (and hopefully not mess things up like with the kernel additions from Juussi or the rocm library): 

This is the easiest step-by-step

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo usermod -a -G audio YOUR ACCOUNT NAME
sudo apt install linux-image-lowlatency-hwe-20.04 linux-headers-lowlatency-hwe-20.04
sudo reboot
sudo apt install libnuma-dev
sudo reboot
sudo apt install gnupg2
wget -q -O - https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
echo 'deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/5.0/ ubuntu main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list
sudo sh -c "echo '/opt/rocm-5.0.0/lib' >> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/rocm.conf"
sudo ldconfig
wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/focal/libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb
sudo wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/hqplayerd_4.29.3-117amd_amd64.deb

sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get upgrade 

sudo apt install -f
sudo systemctl enable hqplayerd
sudo systemctl start hqplayerd
sudo systemctl status hqplayerd

3 hours ago, upirox said:

Hi,

anyone able to install HQPlayer-embedded in arch linux? I am using Audiolinux on a X86 minipc player.

if I try to install it I have this message:

/var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsysprof-capture-3.42.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Rgds.

Hello,  please post the question on this forum: 

or contact support

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

10 hours ago, Rovo said:

sudo systemctl stop hqplayerd

sudo apt-get -y update

wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/hqplayerd_4.30.0-118_amd64.deb
sudo apt install -f

sudo reboot

Yes, this works for the generic build. For the AVX2 specific AMD/Intel build you need some extra effort, already posted earlier. It may be worth the trouble and that way you may be able to squeeze a bit more performance out of your machine.

10 hours ago, Rovo said:

Do I need to update the NAA, current version 4.1.1 (Windows)?

You don't have to. You can update to 4.2.0 if you wish to.

10 hours ago, Rovo said:

The advantage of updating to this newer version of HQPlayer and ROON is that ROON is able to make contact with HQPlayer easier/more stable?

Yes, it should make things work better.

13 minutes ago, askat1988 said:

I got the generic hqplayerd installed on ubuntu desktop and had everything working (at least I saw the hqplayer web interface), then I tried to restore settings (from an hqplayer OS install) now I can't get back into the web interface but the service is still running.  What did I mess up?  Do I need to start over?

Which way are you running hqplayerd on Ubuntu Desktop? Any error messages from hqplayerd? Do you have log file enabled?

You can remove the settings file, but it's location depends on how you are running hqplayerd in desktop environment (as a service, or under your user session).

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Which way are you running hqplayerd on Ubuntu Desktop? Any error messages from hqplayerd? Do you have log file enabled?

You can remove the settings file, but it's location depends on how you are running hqplayerd in desktop environment (as a service, or under your user session).

I followed the steps a few posts up so I guess it's a service? I tried looking in the ubuntu logs but could not find anything. I think I had log file enabled in my old settings. 

3 minutes ago, askat1988 said:

I followed the steps a few posts up so I guess it's a service? I tried looking in the ubuntu logs but could not find anything. I think I had log file enabled in my old settings. 

By default, log file is located at /tmp/hqplayerd.log

You can view service status with "sudo systemctl status hqplayerd"

Sometimes running HQPlayer Embedded as a service on Ubuntu Desktop installation is a bit tricky, due to the way network is configured on desktop systems vs how it is handled on server installations.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

By default, log file is located at /tmp/hqplayerd.log

You can view service status with "sudo systemctl status hqplayerd"

Sometimes running HQPlayer Embedded as a service on Ubuntu Desktop installation is a bit tricky, due to the way network is configured on desktop systems vs how it is handled on server installations.

Thanks, I emailed the log file to you. There is one error on the web viewer, clPlayerDaemon::WebServer(): soup_server_listen_all(): Could not listen on address 0.0.0.0, port 80: Error binding to address 0.0.0.0:80: Permission denied

33 minutes ago, askat1988 said:

Thanks, I emailed the log file to you. There is one error on the web viewer, clPlayerDaemon::WebServer(): soup_server_listen_all(): Could not listen on address 0.0.0.0, port 80: Error binding to address 0.0.0.0:80: Permission denied

Nevermind, figured it out, I guess the old settings changed the port to 80 which is not allowed.  I edited the hqplayerd.xml file back to 8088

2 hours ago, askat1988 said:

Nevermind, figured it out, I guess the old settings changed the port to 80 which is not allowed.  I edited the hqplayerd.xml file back to 8088

HQPlayer OS uses port 80, so if that's where the configuration originates, that's the reason. On Ubuntu or similar you need to use port >1024 such as 8088.

I would like to install a PCIe Fibre card at my HPQe OS server, I would like to explore the possibilities whether it can connect to a NAA endpoint with fibre connection directly.

1. In HPQe OS, any special driver that need to be installed? Or, it can recognise the fibre PCIe card?

2.  Can I use the HPQe OS server LAN port to connect to my home network, and use the fibre connection to the NAA endpoint directly?

3. Do I need to assign a fix IP address for the fibre connection at HPQe OS server and NAA endpoint?

P.S.: my NAA endpoint is running on AudioLinux, and I had already installed the PCIe fibre card.

Thanks,

6 minutes ago, Louie said:

I would like to install a PCIe Fibre card at my HPQe OS server, I would like to explore the possibilities whether it can connect to a NAA endpoint with fibre connection directly.

1. In HPQe OS, any special driver that need to be installed? Or, it can recognise the fibre PCIe card?

2.  Can I use the HPQe OS server LAN port to connect to my home network, and use the fibre connection to the NAA endpoint directly?

3. Do I need to assign a fix IP address for the fibre connection at HPQe OS server and NAA endpoint?

P.S.: my NAA endpoint is running on AudioLinux, and I had already installed the PCIe fibre card.

Thanks,

I have done that before but I was running Audiolinux on the server side with HQP embedded. 
It was super easy. Just use the Audiolinux option to bridge the Ethernet connections and then you can use the RJ45 for connecting the server to the switch/router and then the fiber to the NAA. 

Today I use an even simpler solution that I believe is even better then the NAA (as it is an even lower noise device) -

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/opto-usb

3 minutes ago, GMG said:

I have done that before but I was running Audiolinux on the server side with HQP embedded. 
It was super easy. Just use the Audiolinux option to bridge the Ethernet connections and then you can use the RJ45 for connecting the server to the switch/router and then the fiber to the NAA. 

Today I use an even simpler solution that I believe is even better then the NAA (as it is an even lower noise device) -

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/opto-usb

So, HPQe OS can be enabled the bridge function from LAN to Fibre connection?

1 minute ago, SwissBear said:

Under HQPe OS, the bridging of ethernet connections is activated by default. Nothing to do here AFAIK.

Would be nice if you can try and report :)

Thx, will try it later and report back. Meanwhile, if the NAA connect to the fibre connection, can it get the DHCP IP address from my home network router?

3 minutes ago, Louie said:

Thx, will try it later and report back. Meanwhile, if the NAA connect to the fibre connection, can it get the DHCP IP address from my home network router?

Yes. That’s the meaning of a bridge   
technically I think it will get the dhcp from the bridge but it doesn’t matter for the end result.