Let the fun begin! ?

I received the AQVOX network switch nicely packed from Moussa after work. Thanks a lot! ?

IMG_5925.thumb.JPG.3a1ff9eabd5be20f6c190a8109b71363.JPG

I immediately replaced my D-Link DGS-105 switch.

IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.7ada129636d62dd48ed5973efe7afcad.JPG

I did'nt care to use the supplied SMPS since Moussa thought that TP-Link Vivid sounded better...and I trust the guy! ? Grounded the switch to my Entreq Minimus and connected my short Cat6a U/UTP cables on port 1 & 8.

IMG_5927.thumb.JPG.ef1a762507c7da7e683a6eb7e2ac8f36.JPG

IMG_5929.thumb.JPG.61999f8dc94a416d3b169ff9586e56f0.JPG

IMG_5928.thumb.JPG.ec1b8d812c8b20684ad671eb518c465f.JPG

Full of excitement I sat down in my little hifi corner and had a listen to Death Cab For Cuties MQA album "Kintsugi" via Tidal/ LigthingDS 5.0 Beta 2 with "Precise" setting.

IMG_5930.thumb.JPG.7e88d8d286f2cee69667b3d1fe2f7ef8.JPG

One word. Wow! Simply wow! The music is so effortless yet with a completely fearless authority. The music is pounding my ear drums with full monty and my neck hair is giving me shills of joy down my spine. Great separation, natural performance and greatly improved 3D sence. Just the things I am constantly looking for. Pure joy! ?

Unfortunately I have a kid to mind right now. Otherwise I would'nt leave this spot until after midnight. I love this hobby! ?

Be sure. More experiments will come with the AQVOX, but right now I want to enjoy it to the full! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Let the fun begin! ?

I received the AQVOX network switch nicely packed from Moussa after work. Thanks a lot! ?

IMG_5925.thumb.JPG.3a1ff9eabd5be20f6c190a8109b71363.JPG

I immediately replaced my D-Link DGS-105 switch.

IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.7ada129636d62dd48ed5973efe7afcad.JPG

I did'nt care to use the supplied SMPS since Moussa thought that TP-Link Vivid sounded better...and I trust the guy! ? Grounded the switch to my Entreq Minimus and connected my short Cat6a U/UTP cables on port 1 & 8.

IMG_5927.thumb.JPG.ef1a762507c7da7e683a6eb7e2ac8f36.JPG

IMG_5929.thumb.JPG.61999f8dc94a416d3b169ff9586e56f0.JPG

IMG_5928.thumb.JPG.ec1b8d812c8b20684ad671eb518c465f.JPG

Full of excitement I sat down in my little hifi corner and had a listen to Death Cab For Cuties MQA album "Kintsugi" via Tidal/ LigthingDS 5.0 Beta 2 with "Precise" setting.

IMG_5930.thumb.JPG.7e88d8d286f2cee69667b3d1fe2f7ef8.JPG

One word. Wow! Simply wow! The music is so effortless yet with a completely fearless authority. The music is pounding my ear drums with full monty and my neck hair is giving me skills of joy down my spine. Great separation, natural performance and greatly improved 3D sence. Just the things I am constantly looking for. Pure joy! ?

Unfortunately I have a kid to mind right now. Otherwise I would'nt leave this spot until after midnight. I love this hobby! ?

Be sure. More experiments will come with the AQVOX, but right now I want to enjoy it to the full! ?

That's amazing @Cornan I like the pictures especially the headphone stand :)

3 minutes ago, mozes said:

That's amazing @Cornan I like the pictures especially the headphone stand :)

Thanks Moussa! I like pictures in posts as well. It brings it more to life! The Buddha statue have been with me for more than 25 years and have carried many different headphones! The Fostex TH900 is my all time favourite though! ? 

I made a nice necklace for it as well with the words "Hifi Geek" ?

🎛️  Audio System  

33 minutes ago, austinpop said:

@Cornan

That's very exciting news about the Aqvox!

Quick question - remind me again what is good about the TP-Link Vivid battery pack, compared to something like the Tecknet (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FAU7ZB2) ?

I don't see the Vivid on sale here in the US...

Yes, I am actually over the moon! I did'nt expect that the AQVOX switch would qualify into my top ten list of best hifi purchases ever, but it just did! ?

The good thing with TP-Link Vivid is except the good quality battery cells and high output amperage that it have a single USB output. The TP-Link is not at all the best choise, but it is a very good choise when you look at the price vs performance. Another one with even better price vs Performance ratio is this for example this Blitzwolf https://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-PowerStorm-BW-PF1-6700mAh-13W-Dual-USB-Power-Bank-with-Type-C-Input-and-Output-p-1130501.html?rmmds=search

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, mozes said:

Fyi, TP link new nano router has 5G

http://www.tp-link.com/ca/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR902AC.html

wish they had it before I got the 802

Yay! That would be a perfect solution for me. Either as a bridge replacing the D-Link DAP-1620 to D-Link DGS-105 or as a router connecting to the AQVOX to share the goodies to my low budget setup. Thanks for sharing! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

I have a plan to power all my four 5v DC powered devices in my low budget setup with my floating Gophert safety style psu to see where that will end up. I wanted to make it into a starquad arrangement but with a total of 8pcs of 20awg wires into a 4mm banana plug was simply mission impossible, so I needed to find another solution.

I think I just found one! :)

With this DC banana socket terminal I can just change the input cable to a starquad and power up to six different 5v devices simultaniously with the same floating psu. I just need to make myself four starquad DC ouput cables with 4mm banana plugs as well to get that project going.

https://www.electrokit.com/grenuttag-dc-6-par-banankontakter.47072

47072-5624-4.thumb.jpg.3c843cb634d068d3ea3742533451af60.jpg

PS. It is possible to ground as well! ;) DS.

🎛️  Audio System  

Here is a system topology with my plan for the low budget setup when the OTG power splitter, Canare 4S6, connectors, TP-Link router and DC banana socket terminal finally arrives:

5901cb76988c5_Cornan-Lowbudgetsetup.thumb.jpg.90ceab75c70d39dd2f2d668f5190a434.jpg

I will also try to find a way to ground the DC banana terminal ofcourse. Since my DIY grounder is connected to the star ground on my Naim Music Line powerstrip I might try to connect both the D-Link switch and the DC banana terminal to the very same spot for quick access to the safety ground...atleast in theory! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

4 hours ago, Cornan said:

I have a plan to power all my four 5v DC powered devices in my low budget setup with my floating Gophert safety style psu to see where that will end up. I wanted to make it into a starquad arrangement but with a total of 8pcs of 20awg wires into a 4mm banana plug was simply mission impossible, so I needed to find another solution.

I think I just found one! :)

With this DC banana socket terminal I can just change the input cable to a starquad and power up to six different 5v devices simultaniously with the same floating psu. I just need to make myself four starquad DC ouput cables with 4mm banana plugs as well to get that project going.

https://www.electrokit.com/grenuttag-dc-6-par-banankontakter.47072

47072-5624-4.thumb.jpg.3c843cb634d068d3ea3742533451af60.jpg

PS. It is possible to ground as well! ;) DS.

Congrats!

Very neat and handy. If your system is all in one place then this is a great solution especially for a low budget system. 

I still prefer direct wire to each component but let's wait for the results :)

23 minutes ago, mozes said:

Congrats!

Very neat and handy. If your system is all in one place then this is a great solution especially for a low budget system. 

I still prefer direct wire to each component but let's wait for the results :)

Thanks Moussa! 

If it is better or worse than the direct wire approach depends how it will look at the back of the unit. Hopefully it is a solid metal bar connection I am hoping to see and not a wired solution (if it is I will change the wires to starquads as well). It could then possibly be just as good as a direct wire approach. Those banana plugs are hopefully screwable and accepts a direct wire connection. Let´s see when it arrives! :)

Another advantage is actually that all the DC cable will be shorter since the terminal will be in the center of all the devices. Could even end up better that the direct wire approach! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

18 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Thanks Moussa! 

If it is better or worse than the direct wire approach depends how it will look at the back of the unit. Hopefully it is a solid metal bar connection I am hoping to see and not a wired solution (if it is I will change the wires to starquads as well). It could then possibly be just as good as a direct wire approach. Those banana plugs are hopefully screwable and accepts a direct wire connection. Let´s see when it arrives! :)

Another advantage is actually that all the DC cable will be shorter since the terminal will be in the center of all the devices. Could even end up better that the direct wire approach! ;)

I think it would better if it has wires so you can upgrade the wire. I received my Canare 4S yesterday

1 minute ago, mozes said:

I think it would better if it has wires so you can upgrade the wire. I received my Canare 4S yesterday

I will hopefully know more tomorrow (was shipped today from local dealer) or next tuesday (monday=holiday in Sweden).

Wow, that was a quick delivery! My Canare 4S6 is still on the way...and not to forget the sloooow Swedish customs! :/

Looking forward to hear some report from you regarding the Canare! ;)

BTW. I got to be at 01:30 yesturday night. The AQVOX had a spell on me! :x

🎛️  Audio System  

I just realized that I did´nt consider the coming TP-Link router power connection. USB micro socket! :( I rushed to eBay and bought this little bugger http://www.ebay.com/itm/361848774644?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.315a1f482792eaf8319bc1f64ce1effa.jpg

Not optimal, but it will work without the risk of heart failure trying to solder 4x20awg wires to a USB micro! :D

🎛️  Audio System  

15 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I just realized that I did´nt consider the coming TP-Link router power connection. USB micro socket! :( I rushed to eBay and bought this little bugger http://www.ebay.com/itm/361848774644?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.315a1f482792eaf8319bc1f64ce1effa.jpg

Not optimal, but it will work without the risk of heart failure trying to solder 4x20awg wires to a USB micro! :D

Why don't you just power it from your tp link power bank with a straight usb cable? You can make an exception for the router :)

21 minutes ago, mozes said:

Why don't you just power it from your tp link power bank with a straight usb cable? You can make an exception for the router :)

There can be no exeptions! :) I am on a mission to find out if it will prove to be beneficial to power ALL (not some) of the DC powered device with a floating power supply. That is the main idea with the new arrangement, so I will not budge by making exeptions! ;) 

I am really against powering several devices with one power supply due to possible ground loops/leakage loops. However, when all DC powered devices are powered with a floating PSU it is suddenly a completely different story. I beleive it could prove to be a good thing, but I´ll let the real life experiment tell me if that is true.

If this turns out good it is something I intend to transfer it to my main setup as well. In fact, the experiments with the low budget setup is not only to improve that perticular setup or to see how good a ChromeCast Audio can get. It is also to find new approaches for my main setup which is really my primary target.

🎛️  Audio System  

19 minutes ago, Cornan said:

There can be no exeptions! :) I am on a mission to find out if it will prove to be beneficial to power ALL (not some) of the DC powered device with a floating power supply. That is the main idea with the new arrangement, so I will not budge by making exeptions! ;) 

I am really against powering several devices with one power supply due to possible ground loops/leakage loops. However, when all DC powered devices are powered with a floating PSU it is suddenly a completely different story. I beleive it could prove to be a good thing, but I´ll let the real life experiment tell me if that is true.

If this turns out good it is something I intend to transfer it to my main setup as well. In fact, the experiments with the low budget setup is not only to improve that perticular setup or to see how good a ChromeCast Audio can get. It is also to find new approaches for my main setup which is really my primary target.

I see your point, makes sense. I am using this LPS for my router so how do I know if it is floating or not?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100VA-Ultra-low-Noise-LPS-HI-END-R-core-Linear-power-supply-for-audio-DC5V-24V/32691902812.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.Q5PHor

27 minutes ago, mozes said:

I see your point, makes sense. I am using this LPS for my router so how do I know if it is floating or not?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100VA-Ultra-low-Noise-LPS-HI-END-R-core-Linear-power-supply-for-audio-DC5V-24V/32691902812.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.Q5PHor

That is usually the tricky part to find out. Far from everyone specify if they are floating or not. I would say that the LPS in your link is not floating, but to be absolutely sure you can ask this question: "Does this LPS have a floating DC output realive to the AC mains safety ground?"

A truly floating PSU means that the AC mains safety ground is totally isolated from the DC output.  The AC mains safety ground (input) is connected to the chassi instead of to the DC output. With a truly floating PSU you can safely connect several psu´s in series without putting your life at risk. With a truly floating output 100% of the leakage loops and ground loops is gone in that path. For example a LPS-1 is not truly floating. It do have a 100% isolated output but it is not 100% isolated towards the safety ground. Connecting the SMPS feeder supply to your BK 1604A will turn the LPS-1 into a truly floating PSU. Connecting the Gophert to the LPS-1 will turn the LPS-1 into a truly floating PSU.

Here is some more info regarding a floating output http://powersupply.blogs.keysight.com/2014/03/what-is-floating-power-supply-output.html

I hope that helps! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

29 minutes ago, Cornan said:

That is usually the tricky part to find out. Far from everyone specify if they are floating or not. I would say that the LPS in your link is not floating, but to be absolutely sure you can ask this question: "Does this LPS have a floating DC output realive to the AC mains safety ground?"

A truly floating PSU means that the AC mains safety ground is totally isolated from the DC output.  The AC mains safety ground (input) is connected to the chassi instead of to the DC output. With a truly floating PSU you can safely connect several psu´s in series without putting your life at risk. With a truly floating output 100% of the leakage loops and ground loops is gone in that path. For example a LPS-1 is not truly floating. It do have a 100% isolated output but it is not 100% isolated towards the safety ground. Connecting the SMPS feeder supply to your BK 1604A will turn the LPS-1 into a truly floating PSU. Connecting the Gophert to the LPS-1 will turn the LPS-1 into a truly floating PSU.

Here is some more info regarding a floating output http://powersupply.blogs.keysight.com/2014/03/what-is-floating-power-supply-output.html

I hope that helps! :)

Great stuff will read more about it

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Yeah, who wants a boat with leakage? Not me! ?

I have an audio system on my little boat with Australian marine speakers and a Sony marine audio head.  Playing back music from my cell phone via Bluetooth is super. There are no leakage currents as everything is galvanically isolated and powered by batteries. Your post made me realize that may be why it sounds so great.  Thanks.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio