Bummer! I had a great plans for my speakers. I saw two ads. Plan A was to buy a pair of Atacama sl400i speaker stands for 1500 SEK second hand (instead of 3450 SEK). Success! They will be delivered tomorrow http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/sl400i-speaker-stands-pair

ca5fbc5b869a9cd0eb15f71d0d6a5cfc.jpg.f3aa3ce129f608de93517db134ded6f0.jpg

My grand plan B was to buy 8 pcs second hand IsoAcoustic Gaia III (2100 SEK insstead of 4000 SEK) that could really make those Atacama floor stands sing for 3600 SEK together with my Gibson Les Paul 8.

e75901e7ae22ac4d71678bb6f4ed825f.thumb.jpg.ef496a48b8041ace0ce6137e00e4f044.jpg

Just one problem. The seller had just sold the Gaia III to a guy in Finland. I must admit that I am a bit dissapointed. It was the perfect plan! :ph34r:

Anyway, I am a owner of a pair of sl400i instead of the Atacama Moseco XL500...and it is time to start looking for a plan C! :D 

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, Cornan said:

Bummer! I had a great plans for my speakers. I saw two ads. Plan A was to buy a pair of Atacama sl400i speaker stands for 1500 SEK second hand (instead of 3450 SEK). Success! They will be delivered tomorrow http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/sl400i-speaker-stands-pair

ca5fbc5b869a9cd0eb15f71d0d6a5cfc.jpg.f3aa3ce129f608de93517db134ded6f0.jpg

My grand plan B was to buy 8 pcs second hand IsoAcoustic Gaia III (2100 SEK insstead of 4000 SEK) that could really make those Atacama floor stands sing for 3600 SEK together with my Gibson Les Paul 8.

e75901e7ae22ac4d71678bb6f4ed825f.thumb.jpg.ef496a48b8041ace0ce6137e00e4f044.jpg

Just one problem. The seller had just sold the Gaia III to a guy in Finland. I must admit that I am a bit dissapointed. It was the perfect plan! :ph34r:

Anyway, I am a owner of a pair of sl400i instead of the Atacama Moseco XL500...and it is time to start looking for a plan C! :D 

At least you Got a good deal on the stands :)

Maybe you Can tweak the stands with some bamboo boards

from IKEA.

I know its NOT AS good as the Gaia III.

Regards Monge

9 hours ago, Monge said:

At least you Got a good deal on the stands :)

Maybe you Can tweak the stands with some bamboo boards

from IKEA.

I know its NOT AS good as the Gaia III.

Regards Monge

Thanks! ? I will look into other solutions which might include bamboo or maple oak platforms. This weekend is fully booked for packing mania though. Moving on Friday! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

22 hours ago, tapatrick said:

@gstew Hi Greg

I finally received all the pieces and started to build my Sparky based Ethernet to I2S Roon streamer comprising the Sparky SBC > Ian's McFifo & McDualXO Isolator and rechecking boards > HDMI LDVS board > DAC.... I've got 2 replacement Crystek CCHD-957 clocks too but need some kind of carrier boards to help replace the stock ones that come with the McDualXO....more later when I get it all to work as its not simple or clear to me how to wire everything. I might well ask you for some help...:)

5a7e3ad5ea6a3_Sparkychain.thumb.jpg.c60d95b1db4adcbb6fa09b74a48c6d2a.jpg

Just a quick comment... Ian sells a carrier board just for that purpose. I know he just launched a redesign of it too. 

As far as questions, let's exchange emails via PM to better keep in touch.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

33 minutes ago, gstew said:

Just a quick comment... Ian sells a carrier board just for that purpose. I know he just launched a redesign of it too. 

As far as questions, let's exchange emails via PM to better keep in touch.

Greg in Mississippi

Thanks Greg will be in touch after I have had some time to hook everything up and see if I can get it to perform. I have asked Ian about his carrier boards but not heard anything back yet...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

39 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I just made a quick inspection of the electricity in my new appartment. Only 2-prong wall sockets and no central circuit braker panel with a RCD/GFCI installed. 

This could be interesting. I will start by ordering 4 of these AHP fuses https://www.svalander.se/shoppen/saekringar/smaeltproppar-high-end

?ma=get_image&id=23211

It’s all “foreign” to me ? , maybe I should be glad I live in the states ? (Although I’ve actually heard you have better electric in EU than USA for audio. 

On 2/9/2018 at 7:31 PM, tapatrick said:

@gstew Hi Greg

I finally received all the pieces and started to build my Sparky based Ethernet to I2S Roon streamer comprising the Sparky SBC > Ian's McFifo & McDualXO Isolator and rechecking boards > HDMI LDVS board > DAC.... I've got 2 replacement Crystek CCHD-957 clocks too but need some kind of carrier boards to help replace the stock ones that come with the McDualXO....more later when I get it all to work as its not simple or clear to me how to wire everything. I might well ask you for some help...:)

5a7e3ad5ea6a3_Sparkychain.thumb.jpg.c60d95b1db4adcbb6fa09b74a48c6d2a.jpg

Looks cool! Keep us posted! I wonder if that HDMI LVDS board could be somehow used with the Brooklyn DAC to convert the Brooklyn to I2S ? 

2 hours ago, agladstone said:

It’s all “foreign” to me ? , maybe I should be glad I live in the states ? (Although I’ve actually heard you have better electric in EU than USA for audio. 

Yeah, you do not need to face these issues in the US. The lack of safety ground can possibly be a good thing for SQ as well. It will be interesting to see how this will affect SQ. More about that in a couple of weeks. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Just now, Monge said:

I need to find a Powerbank for my IPAD Air and my Lighting USB 3 camera adapter setup.

I am considering Asus zenpower with 5v/2.4 A or a TP link Vivid with 2.4A.

Are they both good SQ or?

Thanks in advance..

Regards Monge

I have both powerbanks and would say that TP-Link Vivid has a slight upper hand in SQ. Less charging noises to Asus ZenPower for sure, but also sound more smooth without charger attached. I hope that helps.

🎛️  Audio System  

7 hours ago, agladstone said:

Looks cool! Keep us posted! I wonder if that HDMI LVDS board could be somehow used with the Brooklyn DAC to convert the Brooklyn to I2S ? 

Will do...:)

@Cornan might know. If the Brooklyn DAC has an HDMI I2S input AND follows the PS Audio wiring spec then it will work with the HDMI LVDS module. Look here to see all the DACs listed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit?pli=1&pli=1#gid=853411704

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Just a quick look at Audiophonics and I found this board which converts I2S signal to a classic 75ohn Spdif output.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/digitale-interface-i2s-vers-spdif-bnc-wm8804-p-12559.html

digitale-interface-i2s-vers-spdif-bnc-wm8804.thumb.jpg.aaa7fc24f8d514e35e0627d639f3eed3.jpg

This would work in-between Luckit WaveIO USB to I2S board and Brooklyn DAC. I have no idea if it is a good idea or not SQ wise though. Any volunteers? ?

I have actually wonder if Brooklyn DACs DSD input via BNC to RCA Spdif (using both Spdif inputs) could improve SQ with Tidal streaming as well? I wonder if two of these could do just that? Hmmm, looks like I might volunteer myself? ?

@tapatrick

Have you got your Luckit WaveIO board back with the new NDK oscillators? I am not 100% sure if your recent re-evaluation between BluWave and WaveIO was with both boards using the NDK or not? ?

🎛️  Audio System  

18 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

HI Micael

I don't think its worth converting USB to I2S then to SPDIF, best to go straight from USB to SPDIF i.e. with the Bluewave.

I didn't proceed with upgrading my WaveIO after all even though using it to run I2S into my PS Audio Junior DAC was a great sound, as that got me curious and I started down the Sparky SBC path which is ethernet>Sparky Roon bridge>Isolator & reclocker>I2s>DAC. I'm still putting this together and need to upgrade clocks before reporting on SQ.

Ideally I'd like to upgrade the WaveIO too with new NDK oscillators and test that too but only so much can be done at once and I'm not really sure it would be worth it. BlueWave with Iso Regen is I think the Number one to beat...

I have my doubts as well. Not even sure if it will work with dual boards (WaveIO I2S output> board 1 input-output plus BNC output>board 2 input plus BNC output) with BNC to coaxial Spdif cables into Brooklyn DAC to get the DSD capability I am looking for (using a pair of BNC to coaxial RCA cables into Brooklyn)? Maybe a bit too far fetched even for me! ?

Thanks for your answer and input as always Patrick! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

47 minutes ago, mozes said:

I successfully tried Tidal MQA today on my iphone with Mconnect player at 24Bit/48Khz.

I find it odd that Tidal native app doesn’t support MQA!

I find it odd too, when Tidal app on desktop do.

I hope the Tidal app for IPhone/IPAD in the future will support MQA. Better be soon.

What is your opinion on The Mconnect player app?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Monge

32 minutes ago, Monge said:

I find it odd too, when Tidal app on desktop do.

I hope the Tidal app for IPhone/IPAD in the future will support MQA. Better be soon.

What is your opinion on The Mconnect player app?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Monge

I still didn’t do any comparison with Bubble or Tidal app. For non MQA, Bubble always sounded better

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

You are welcome Micael :)

...by the way just come across other posts that confirmed what I was already finding - that powering the ISO regen with 5v LT3045s bypasses the internal IRegen regulators and explains the better SQ...

tip for the day... :)

It is always nice to know that your ears are telling the truth! ? I am power my ISO Regen with LT3045s in series as well (powering BluWave USB input). Hopefully the BluWave GI Spdif output will be powered by LT3045 and shunt regs (with Kelvin starquad output) in series (9v/1A>5v/480mA) quite soon. It will be used with a Y-split with the LT3045 at the power leg and two shunt regs close to BlueWave and Aqvox switch-8. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. It is actually hard to understand how anything will top up my current setup....but I have been taken by surprise before so I will not be too surprices if it do! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, mozes said:

I successfully tried Tidal MQA today on my iphone with Mconnect player at 24Bit/48Khz.

I find it odd that Tidal native app doesn’t support MQA!

Yeah, it is strange indeed. Probably a bit more complicated to get it working for mobile use? I'll guess 2018 will be the year for the MQA app release though. Touch wood! ?

🎛️  Audio System