IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

14 minutes ago, loop7 said:

I'm curious about one year and five years from now. 

Will reviewers still play stored MQA files even though those tracks me be unavailable to most listeners?

Those who talked about it as the greatest thing ever, will create a market for old mQa products and pirated recordings and endlessly talk about how great it was during the salad days of mQa. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

11 minutes ago, Fx Studio said:

I said the same thing for 2 years - and its in the first thing I said here!

But really it should be obvious that the software can't apply correction when the data it requires is unknown.

You've been digging for two years? Don't you get tired of being the only person in the world on this high horse?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This was my guess after reading the mQa documents a couple months ago, but I couldn’t figure out why. I still can’t figure out why, but that’s ok. 

PICKERING, ONTARIO, CANADA, SEPTEMBER 19, 2023 – Lenbrook Corp., a diversified, privately-owned Canadian enterprise with activities in brand development, technology, and distribution in both residential and commercial audio and the communication sectors, has acquired the assets of MQA, a UK-based industry leader in high-resolution audio encoding.

This acquisition enriches Lenbrook's intellectual property portfolio with an assortment of significant patents and introduces two prominent audio codecs – MQA and SCL6. This merger further solidifies Lenbrook's commitment to excellence and innovation in the evolving landscape of audio technology.

There must be more to the acquisition than meets the eye. Without a source of content, who would license MQA? Even if they loved it, if people can’t get the content, they don’t need a DAC that supports it. 

SCL6 seems cool, but the uphill battle is getting mobile phone operating systems and manufacturers to support it. 

59 minutes ago, RichardSF said:

I don't see any future for SCL6. Even a powerhouse like Qualcomm didn't get far with adoption of more advanced versions of their aptX codec. Meanwhile, Bluetooth standards are evolving and products will be moving in the direction of Bluetooth LE Audio and the LC3 codec.

I don't see Apple licensing it either

If I had to guess why Lenbrook purchased MQA, I’d say it will develop its own ecosystem for wireless speakers and headphones using SCL6. Headphones is an uphill battle because phones won’t support it. Home theater is an easy one because its processors and speakers can contain transmitter and receiver for SCL6. If they use the upper bandwidth limit of the tech, it could be cool. 

DTS Play-Fi just announced something similar. 

https://restechtoday.com/dts-play-fi-adds-12-channel-wireless-home-theater-audio-expansion/