IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 2/21/2018 at 4:50 PM, Indydan said:

MQA "enthusiast"                        Reason for no longer posting on CA

Peter Veth                                                          BANNED

WitchDoctor                                                      BANNED

Lee Scoggins                             SCARED of his BS being called             

out

Michael Lavorgna                    BANNED for telling someone to go fuck his mother

Peter Veth (as Peter Markus)  BANNED for acting like a dick and being an MQA shill

Ah!  A CA twit list.  Shouldn't this be a sticky?

mQa is dead!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, firedog said:

Even when the original is analog, the LP is generally mastered from a digital source, not a tape. 

I don't doubt this but I am curious as to the reasons why the analog source (tape) would not be used to master the LP.  Is it so that the sound engineer(s) can take advantage of the DSP processing that exists?

mQa is dead!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 1:58 PM, crenca said:

What Teddy and Lee Scoggins do for a living is just use words in a technobabble way to obscure, not to actually explain.  whether Lee Scoggins actually understands what "transducer" is or does is irrelevant - his whole participation in this thread, at the @The Computer AudiophileMQA seminar - indeed his whole "professional" participation in this hobby has this character of using words and not actually meaning anything at all.

I too am not sure that Lee actually understands the technobabble.

mQa is dead!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Jud said:

They were unlucky enough to have a team assigned to Enron, the scam energy company, and further unlucky enough that those in charge of the team thought they ought to protect the scammers rather than perform a true audit.

As is usual with these things, since Andersen was a prime source of money for those defrauded by Enron with the help of Andersen accountants, the entire 80,000-person firm was way downsized, and changed from primarily an accounting firm to a consultancy.  (My brother worked for a subsidiary as a retail consultant, but lost his job in the downsizing.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Andersen

mQa is dead!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jud said:

High speed Internet is the #1 reason I want high speed Internet.

I remember waiting 20 minutes in a coffee shop for the Hubble "Pillars" image to download over a 14.4k modem.  Not fun.

But do you really need speeds over 1 gbps?

mQa is dead!

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Yes!  It makes cloud storage totally viable for the home, among many other things.  And I want 1Gb/sec each way!

25 Mbps is likely enough for that. Or 50 Mbps. And as far as streaming goes, it's usually the servers' bitrate that is the bottleneck, not your internet speed.  In any case, I got 1 gbps and it was cheaper than my previous 50 Mbps; one of the benefits of switching providers regularly.

mQa is dead!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Not to mention that the environment doesn't really affect the quality of a TV picture very much - stores virtually always have units set at maximum brightness to attract attention. <snip>

And it's not just the stores; TVs come from the factory with red push.

mQa is dead!

4 hours ago, miguelito said:

2- Bandwidth is a non-issue

I keep hearing that. That may be true at home and maybe even at the office.  But what about the shopping mall,  the coffee shop, airports, public buildings, schools, etc.? The bandwidth can be pretty bad.

mQa is dead!

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

There are unlimited data plans, should you require them.

Not where I live. 😒 Unlimited Data is still a rare service to find in Canada and only offered by fringe brands (limited network coverage and/or slow speeds) that seek to differentiate themselves.

mQa is dead!

36 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

losslessly compressed redbook is the obvious audiophile choice if possible, because it's lossless and uses less bandwidth than high-res or MQA.

How much size difference will there be between a compressed 24/48 file and a compressed 16/44.1 file?

36 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

If high-res is desired, and somehow possible, in a lower-bandwidth situation, then 24/48 FLAC still is more feasible than MQA.

I'm not following here.  The MQA on Tidal is either a from a 24/48 file or from a 24/44.1 file.

mQa is dead!

2 hours ago, Sonicularity said:

Yes, that is technically correct, but an 18-bit PCM file could contain as much or more musical data than a decoded 24-bit MQA file.  Why not use PCM and save the rain forests?  

I agree.  But in the end, Bob Stuart's argument is about psychoacoustics; however, as far as I'm concerned, he has not made a compelling case.

mQa is dead!

2 hours ago, crenca said:

Is it?  I thought MQA is not nearly as compressible (i.e. non-lossy, FLAC, etc.) as the 24/48...due to the folded HF being non conducive to compression...going from memory here

edit:  see #3 and 4 in the last section here:  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55970-mqa-technically-exposed/

because of this preexisting compression, FLAC is simply not as effective and so MQA is a 'tweener' in size (i.e. between 24/48 and 24/96 PCM)

MQA is not a file format nor a compression scheme.  All MQA does is play with the bits.  An MQA'd track can exist in any lossless file format you choose.  If it be a flac file with compression, then the compression scheme will not be partial to whether there are any "MQA" bits or not.    

mQa is dead!