IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Brahan Seer said:

And there is partaking in/enabling the spreading of unsavoury chat about a brand

What about the over-savory waxing poetic bullshit about a brand that's exactly what was practiced here and elsewhere ad nauseam by the now infamous LS, and various other likely paid influencers including HB, and PV on behalf of MQA? 

Then there is the the trade press, and their orgasmic reaction to all things MQA, literally a birthing of new worlds by their take. Shall we agree there is sufficient need to counter balance against that too, or are you more in agreement that there is a revolution in digital audio called MQA that is the real "story"?

Causal observer here to provide balance, or spirited BS artist furthering that cause?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

3 hours ago, Brahan Seer said:

Fair(ish) point. I remain unconvinced that MQA's operations merit the level of vitriol levelled at it here on this thread.   

It's a long thread, I wonder if you've read very much of it, and if so what exact vitriol you refer to?

Fair assessment by means of testing and measurement, as well as an acknowledgment of the systemic threats MQA represents to both consumers, and the music production industry on various levels should this scheme survive do not constitute "vitriol".

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

On 9/6/2022 at 10:55 AM, Brahan Seer said:

So, why not audio. An obsession with 'it's the OG or nothing' strikes me as a somewhat prehistoric approach to tech/music/life. 

Except when the so-called new "post Nyquist" approach involves total BS like correction of time smear, or the total correction of supposed known flaws in all ADCs... etc.

Thats when the BS meter reads off the fucking charts.

You've asked for examples of various things in previous posts. Might we request you provide some examples of MQA having provided anything at all in the way of a better than "prehistoric" approach to tech/music/life?

Please also define "prehistoric" in the context of digital audio.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Speaking of Tidal, how successful have they been pushing MQA?

Fair point, I'd say very unsuccessful, so no real parallel with "success" at all in terms of broader market penetration, despite what the hifi trade press might have one believing.

Another way to view that lies in MQA's public financial statements. Turnover in particular is nothing shy of pathetic, in relation to debt incurred and coming due.

@Rt66indierock this can no longer be viewed as a startup company burning through its initial capitalization with a clear eye towards profitability at this juncture, or can it?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I like the sound of MQA. I like the tech.

So upsampling with a leaky MP filter is your cup of tea then? That's really great, good for you, some real cutting edge tech there.

I think that this forum is often massively unkind, unprofessional, unetc, etc, etc - so, I am addressing that.

Nice try, you mean you are once again going to that same tired old MQA playbook in attempting to change the narrative to some sort of unfair, uncivil internet accusation instead of providing some substance as to why you (or we) should consider MQA in a different light. Given all we know about the threat to the music distribution industry and consumer choice that MQA represents, and the published and repeatable measurements that illustrate the emperor certainly has no clothes, what are you really addressing at all here?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

11 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Except TIDAL doesn't - passing hi-res MQA tracks through the 16bit/44.1kHz TIDAL HiFi quality connection bit depth reducing resampling mangle just makes them corrupted MQA tracks.

Evidently he missed that memo sometime back, or conveniently filed it away, all the better to substantiate "liking the tech", whatever that actually means.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Apple and Microsoft have countered criticism. My point is, how many folks on here are actively boycotting these companies?

I see no possible way to compare MQA to Apple or Microsoft, that's a poor analogy, and one which attempts to paint MQA as some kind of technology leader in the same vein as those tech giants, which they are not.

With a pathetic £459,820 in turnover for their last reporting year, MQA does not belong in any tech giant or technology innovator discussion. Whether one likes or supports the business practices of Apple or Microsoft is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand here.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, botrytis said:

Does it make vinyl sound more like vinyl?

Yes for sure, and also this according to Analog Planet:

"The MQA encoder is said to “de-blur” the recording of artifacts that can be introduced in the transfer process, such as “time smear.” Then, the MQA decoding and rendering in the DAC is said to provide a clean pathway to bringing the music back into the analog realm, without new artifacts being reintroduced during conversion."

More total bullshit.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

37 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Maybe Mofi should have used this instead of the uncorrected, blurry DSD256. 😱

Absolutely... DSD256, so fucking blurry! Are there any hearing aids with MQA? 

41 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Lossy digital to lossy analogue copy. Looks like mQa and LPs were made for each other. 

Well according to Analog Planet, MQA-LP is the result of a massive undertaking, and produces an unheard of accomplishment. I trust those underwriting it are comfortable with the return.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

22 minutes ago, bambadoo said:

Thats very interesting how they are going after the labels for having used the encoding process as opposed to going after MQA themselves. Perhaps they are going after MQA too, if not, that might suggest it is the labels who created the batch encoding process.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

44 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Aren't you guys concerned that you're letting yourselves get robbed from superior audio

Definitely no concern there, what would you base such a concern on since you last graced these pages, any new developments, facts, or substantive defense of Master Quality Adulterated that we might have missed?

46 minutes ago, GUTB said:

At this point it seems certain that it's here to stay

I don't think so, have you had a look at the financials lately? You know, the ones that show absolutely pathetic turnover levels year after year, along with losses of roughly £5 million per year, and heavy reliance on a tiny bit player on the streaming provider side?

49 minutes ago, GUTB said:

certainly longer than HDCD for example.

Thats really not saying much is it?

51 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I feel I'm getting ready to come back in.

Go for it man, all in... go large or go home.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, yahooboy said:

Except for the fact that any manufacturer could misconstrue any purchase as condoning MQA

True, though in this case the product has already been out for quite some time without any MQA support, so unless WiiM thinks they are seeing a sudden sharp rise in sales due to the addition of some new feature(s), I'm not sure why they would be apt to attribute much of anything to a such fringe/gimmick feature on a marginal market share service such as TIDAL.

5 minutes ago, yahooboy said:

However You look at it, any purchase of a Whim product would send money in the direction of MQA

Since we don't really know what deal WiiM may have struck with regard to MQA licensing, it's really hard to say, except that it isn't going to be much money for MQA when the street price of a WiiM Mini is $89, and they've probably already had their sales wave crest after being on the market for a year +, and getting some positive initial press. WiiM will likely need to roll out a V2 edition of the mini, or something else entirely, to get any big influx of new sales at this point.

I had heard some suggestion in the past that WiiM's product road map is likely headed in the direction of powered speakers that incorporate the streamer aspect, à la Sonos, with this Mini device having been intended as a cheap gateway into their brand.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook