IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

Is Stereophile that desperate for clicks?

Yes, and thats nothing new based on the apparent fire sale that occurred, TEN dumped it to AVTech Media and I'd always thought at that time one of the reasons JA et al. were so adamantly promoting MQA was due to it's controversial aspect, which would drive clicks that might in turn prop up the sale value of the magazine.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

On 8/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, John_Atkinson said:

I know you are "cracking wise" but dCS has always offered a very short antialiaslng fliter on its A/D converters to reduce the otherwise inevitable sinc-function ringing on transients.

Is that what you use and have always used in the making of your own recordings?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

41 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

It is pretty clear that JA and Stereophile are not looking out for the consumer's best interests.

Exactly, he just recycled their debunked BS all over again, same old story there.

34 minutes ago, Pierre LeMonf said:

It seems to me that you are clinging to your embrace of MQA simply because you refuse to admit you are wrong.

Thats right, he just octupled down on that whole story.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

48 minutes ago, BassFace said:

The same 7 or 8 people liking each other's post , big deal.  Step back and to the normal person that's all you's are all doing. Its not trolling its mere observation from outside the little clique which is paramount on most forums but off the charts in the world of Hi-Fi.  Of course your not going to agree with me, your all too busy posting silly pictures and clicking like.

Funny then how you are willing to spend any time on it at all if that's your take. Or are you just trolling and attempting to derail this thread by saying stupid shit that people will react negatively too?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

15 minutes ago, BassFace said:

No point in small talk anything of substance will have Frank trying to tell me otherwise.  Im still being told about MQA when Ive read the past 500+ pages of this topic Zzzzz  It hardly resembles a party on here either, just grumpy old men that does very little to inspire new people to join would be another observation. But I could be wrong..  

You've completely dodged the direct question then of why you don't just ignore the topic. Why keep coming back just to troll and complain? Where is your own super compelling fresh new content?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Archimago said:

I would not be surprised if the Stereophile writers know this and are just throwing stuff in their articles as clickbait without actual conviction.

Me neither, and I think that would also have been true in the lead up to the sale of Stereophile to AVTech Media in spring 2018. The mQa click bait would have been one thing helping to prop up whatever little value the publication had left with regard to the sale terms.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UkPhil said:

I believe the European release by Warners

This is a Warner release in Europe? I thought this was EMI/Harvest/Capitol worldwide ever since the rights that Sony/Columbia once held in various regions expired in 2000. The 1997 Sony remastering was then used by EMI until 2011, when the current reissue was remastered.

1 hour ago, UkPhil said:

both MQA and FLAC PCM the error is clearly noticeable on Qobuz and Amazon in the UK too, what a mess and a bit of embarrassment for such a high profile bands hi res releases.

I'm not seeing any of that on the Qobuz release in the U.S. That one plays absolutely perfectly at 24/96 with no hiccups or glitches. Additionally, these all show as Pink Floyd Records releases in the U.S.

My only real question there was why is The Wall at 24/96, when it seems the rest of the catalog was done at 24/192, and I'm not hearing that those are clearly just upsampled. Even if they were upsampled, the question would then be why they didn't also offer The Wall at an upsampled 24/192 as well.

Lastly, I see on the U.S. HDtracks download store as well as the U.S. Qobuz download store that The Wall is available only in 24/96 for hi-res download.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, firedog said:

I don't get that whole article. In an extreme attempt to be fair and objective, it seems to be another example of people who just accept MQA claims.

I couldn't agree more and think this piece is a veiled pro-MQA stance, trying it's best to somehow sound fair, and provide some sort of claimed long hard hours research and analysis in a "civil" manner thats claimed to be otherwise lacking in everything from this forum, to GoldenSound's videos. Gimme a break.

Thats propaganda, and I've lost some respect for Bill Leebens in that regard. The call to authority of the various mastering engineers who stand to make money by kowtowing to MQA in hopes of being involved in their "white glove" efforts, as well as Bob Stuart himself, are just more of the same from that playbook. 

The piece looks to me like a blatant attempt at trying to repair MQA's image at this late date, knowing full well how badly they had shot themselves in the foot in the past at Chris' RMAF talk, and in other high-brow interviews too. Bob's retort to the RMAF incident that in hindsight they simply wouldn't have even attended is just more of the same again, acting above it all and not apologizing for the pathetic behavior of his senior management, and essentially taking the stance that they need not face any scrutiny at all.

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

Someone might want to remind the writer of the "hearing" study results from McGill University. What are we supposed to "hear" again in order to "believe"?!

I thought it ironic that Leebens felt the need to cite George Massenburg's teaching affiliation at McGill, but made absolutely no mention of the McGill study you cite.

I'll also admit that prior to today I had never even heard of Strata-gee, nor Ted Green, and while I appreciate the supposed mission of his site, I don't think this MQA piece/summation provides any unique insight or real value to readers.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ARQuint said:

Is Archimago suggesting that there's an important difference between "unattributed" and "anonymous"? Our Product of the Year Awards are actually written by the person who wrote the full review, even though his name or initials aren't given. But the issue number is provided in the blurb so you can find out who it was. Look, I'm no partisan when it comes to the MQA debate but I continue to detect a double standard when it comes to public discussion of this technology. Engineers who have anything good to say about MQA are either unqualified or shameless shills; engineers who condemn it are courageous truth-tellers. The dynamic, unfortunately, parallels the tone of the discussion with far more critical issues of the day—vaccination, climate change, election integrity, and so on.

Andrew Quint

Senior Writer, TAS

Another ARQ drive-by, replete with revisionist history, and false equivalencies intended to deflect the real issues at hand. In other words, more from the very same tired old playbook.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Uh, oh. Fire in the hole. Interesting comments from Lee on WBF:

"The bottom line is that Robert Harley, Andy Quint, and myself have talked up MQA because we hear the sound quality improvement."

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/state-of-the-industry-roy-gregory-editorial.34618/#post-787957

In reading the RG blog post, it appears he might have been asked to take down or rewrite the final page? I now see a blank on Page 10 of that piece, and many of the things mentioned or quoted from it in the WBF thread are now missing, including MQA. 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook