IGNORED

iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label (released on the 30th of November 2016)

Using my Black Label to drive a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones and am very impressed with the sound quality (despite not having Class A output). For PCM files, I've settled on "bit perfect" setting while for DSD files "standard" setting. I also find the 3-D switch amazing for making many recordings come to life (clearer treble and less murky). Of course, I can hear a difference using the polarity switch and I will have a strong preference depending on the recording. The iDAC2 sounds intriguing (for the class A output), but, I hesitate due to lack of polarity switch. And, with more space available in iDAC2, I'd imagine using more DAC chips like the iDSD Black Label would be better? Anyways, I still may give iDAC2 a try and use my Jriver MediaCenter software to invert polarity. However, I've done a test and did prefer sound of the hardware switch over software inverting.

Using my Black Label to drive a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones and am very impressed with the sound quality (despite not having Class A output). For PCM files, I've settled on "bit perfect" setting while for DSD files "standard" setting. I also find the 3-D switch amazing for making many recordings come to life (clearer treble and less murky). Of course, I can hear a difference using the polarity switch and I will have a strong preference depending on the recording. The iDAC2 sounds intriguing (for the class A output), but, I hesitate due to lack of polarity switch. And, with more space available in iDAC2, I'd imagine using more DAC chips like the iDSD Black Label would be better? Anyways, I still may give iDAC2 a try and use my Jriver MediaCenter software to invert polarity. However, I've done a test and did prefer sound of the hardware switch over software inverting.

That's a valuable feedback, thank you. Please do what suits you best!

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

That's a valuable feedback, thank you. Please do what suits you best!

AMR: regarding polarity, with the switch on "+" is that referring to positive (aka unchanged polarity from the original recording) polarity out of the DSD1973, or positive (unchanged polarity from the original recording) at the headphone output?

IIRC it was surmised on another thread (that I can't find right now) that the TPA6102 headphone amp IC used in the iDSD Micro was inverting polarity itself, thereby to maintain the polarity of the recording a user would have to switch it to "-" .

The answer would likely impact @movinginstereo 's choice, as most recordings should theoretically be in correct polarity and not need reversing.

I do often find "-" sound better than "+" on the BL, so it's part of my warm up/setup routine now to do a quick check.

All that said, @movinginstereo: I never even think about polarity with the iDAC2. Maybe I should, but so far, I've always found it to sound good. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :P

IIRC it was surmised on another thread (that I can't find right now) that the TPA6102 headphone amp IC used in the iDSD Micro was inverting polarity itself, thereby to maintain the polarity of the recording a user would have to switch it to "-" .

This is incorrect. The entire signal path of the iDSD micro when switched to +polarity position is non-inverting. The same is true of all iFi & AMR products, even where individual stages are inverting, the complete signal path (including speakers) always preserves polarity.So in order to get the correct polarity of the recording (presuming the recording is in correct polarity) the polarity switch must be set to +. Of course, the choice is up to the user.

Let s get to the conclusion first ....

PROS

True hifi gear - Quality for monney - Powerfull enough output to drive power amps

CONS

Almost none, I m awaiting the same gear with one analog input and symetrical analog outs.....

REVIEW

The unit arrived in perfect condition, packaged in the usual iFi nice boxing.

- The IDSD was powered through the iUSB2 unit and an Uptone power supply

I don't use headphnes, so my judgement is only valid for the RCA output.

We connected it on two different hifi systems :

1 - Krell / Vecteur Alpha / with and without the Audio Research Preamp. USB cables is Absolute Creation and Howland for the RCA and speakers

2 - A large Acoustat 44 electrostatic system, amplified with Electrocompanie mono amps, with and without a modified Perreaux SM3 preamp.

Audio files are all non compressed, mainly Classical and Jazz (P.Herreweghe/Beethoven/9th - Harnoncourt/Haydn/7th words of Christ/Teldec - McGegan/Arias for Mantegnana- Ahmal Jamal/Live concert ...)

Immediate comparison between the Standard and Black label unit show indiscutable improvements/

- Voice are more natural, I would say more transpare,t, but without loss of impact and presence.

- Bass seems to extend deeper, lighter, but this extension comes without any negative artifact, at the opposite of an 'Hifi' sound. There is more music there.

- The unit is more dynamic than the standard IDSD, an loses the slightly 'warm' sound of the former.

Longer listening session shows that the Black label is more regarding toward the system on which it is connected than the older one. It may reveal some defects of the others components, such as harshness or 'bummy bass.

In some cases the addition of the preamp added some warmth, but removed some neutrality and tones reality.

I clearly prefer this new unit. It is more of my taste : closer to the reality of dynamics, voices humanity and quick low response.

Once again, AMR/iFi gives the opportunity to put one foot in the 'tru living music' for many audio enthousiasts. Thanks !

I don't see any concurrence below 2000e to beat the IDSD, and even more the Black label. A true bargain.

Thanks for confirmation, @AMR/iFi audio :)

FWIW I mis-typed above, I meant to suggest that "+" sounds better than "-" most of the time; but also suggest that "-" can often (as pointed out by moving stereo) have a very positive net benefit, as well. So, I make this part of my normal listening routine.

@Math89 I never had the "silver" (original) Micro iDSD, so it's interesting to hear comparisons. FWIW, my iDSD BL took a very long time to stop exhibiting small sonic changes during break-in. Now, with over 400 hours on it, I have found it to be warmer than the middle period of break in. Not in a bad way, but certainly in a manner that I would say it is solidly on the warm side of neutral. I find it very pleasing, I hope yours continues to meet your expectations, as well. You may consider trying a iDAC2, as well; this thread suggested that is a better fit for hifi listening (optimized for stationary use), and now that I have one, I agree with that statement.

All that said, I really like my iDSD BL. Even with "better" stuff, when I am listening to the iDSD BL as a standalone unit I never itch to plug into my "better" gear. I find myself listening to the iDSD BL a lot, since I can take it anywhere I'd like in or out of my home, and that's just super convenient for a busy lifestyle. I have recently been working through every recording of Beethoven's String Quartet's that I can get my hands on via Tidal, and instead of finding my defective audiophile gene kicking up and listening to gear, I'm focusing on the music and performance styles. It's really a musically satisfying device, and may be one of the most useful and satisfying audio purchases I've ever made. For me, the iDSD BL paired with my LCDX is the beginning point of sufficiency.

I hope that makes sense. I'm trying not to be gushy-sounding; it's not the best thing hifi has ever seen, and I can't even say it's the best unit on the market (in its class) as I haven't heard them all. But more than 2 months into ownership, long after the new car smell has faded, and even after really digging into the ifi solutions and buying a ton more of their gear, I am finding myself still enjoying every listen to the "naked" BL.

I agree, listening to the Black Label powered by the LPS-1 at DSD512 is just terrific. Combined with the cost of the power supply this $950 solution blows away any other DAC LPS combo auditioned here including many in the $4k plus range.

Results are jaw droppingly great, with a very strong 3d image, full extension, no digital hash, with a wonderfully open and natural presentation. The music is just beautifully presented.

I have done four demos for four different groups in four weeks and everyone is amazed.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I agree, listening to the Black Label powered by the LPS-1 at DSD512 is just terrific. Combined with the cost of the power supply this $950 solution blows away any other DAC LPS combo auditioned here including many in the $4k plus range.

Results are jaw droppingly great, with a very strong 3d image, full extension, no digital hash, with a wonderfully open and natural presentation. The music is just beautifully presented.

I have done four demos for four different groups in four weeks and everyone is amazed.

Larry,

Nice. I have a BL in for review and am breaking it in on a pair of headphones in my office (not sure that breaks in the rca's though). Question: how does one power the BL with an LPS1, assuming the BL gets its power from a USB connection? I mean, if you are playing DSD512 (say via HQP) then won't the USB from your pc (or uRendu) do the powering, and if not, how does the LPS1's clean power get to the BL? I feel like I'm missing something very basic here, sorry.

I'm highly suspicious of claims made about this DAC. In the end of the day it's a 1793 DAC with USB power supply and some high quality commercial components.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Don't drop your suspicions, but listen if you have a chance - it's quite good with the right material fed to it (which IMO is music upsampled to DSD256 or DSD512 from Audirvana Plus or HQPlayer). And the USB power can be removed as any sort of sonic problem at not a huge expense, relatively speaking. Edit: This DAC will also run for hours from its own internal battery, and you can easily switch between battery and a USB power source of your choice to see which you prefer.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Larry,

Nice. I have a BL in for review and am breaking it in on a pair of headphones in my office (not sure that breaks in the rca's though). Question: how does one power the BL with an LPS1, assuming the BL gets its power from a USB connection? I mean, if you are playing DSD512 (say via HQP) then won't the USB from your pc (or uRendu) do the powering, and if not, how does the LPS1's clean power get to the BL? I feel like I'm missing something very basic here, sorry.

Thru something like a Regen or Adnaco.

Edit: Also, you might like to try running from battery and running from USB with such a setup to see which sounds better to you.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm highly suspicious of claims made about this DAC. In the end of the day it's a 1793 DAC with USB power supply and some high quality commercial components.

Hearing is believing. The BL is phenomenal. Even though It was an easy feat IT has recently completely smashed a little also black competitor with little balls emitting light on It in a recent comparison Ihave made.So far the BL has performed significantly better than any other dac up to 1000 eur Iheav compared It with visirting friends and the like. So far everybody has been left very impressed by It.

In that case, you must lead a very easy life: just buy the parts from an Electronics supplier, connect and it will sound magically really good...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Larry,

Hi Ted,

Jud is correct, one can inject LPS-1 power into the microIDSD via an Adnaco USB or REGEN. I have also done the same with an Aqvox cable.

I don't have a microRendu, but that is likely to work as well assuming the microRendu current demand combined with the microIDSD doesn't exceed LPS1 limits. Make sure the microIDSD battery is charged before trying this.

And indeed, there is always the internal battery. To my ears, the silver microIDSD sounds best powered from its internal battery, where the black label sounds best powered from the LPS-1. There is no doubt that the BL bests the silver in any playback mode.

Are you planning to feed the BL native DSD512? Hearing is believing. You want to hear this!

Also BL break-in takes many weeks.

Feel free to PM me for details.

Larry

The USB power supply is one of this DACs best features as one can control the quality of the power source. And doing so is definitely rewarding.

The clever and unique DSD512 implementation created with two 1793 DAC chips sounds terrific.

So yeah it is a relatively simple and creative solution that stands way above the crowd.

Hi Ted,

Jud is correct, one can inject LPS-1 power into the microIDSD via an Adnaco USB or REGEN. I have also done the same with an Aqvox cable.

I don't have a microRendu, but that is likely to work as well assuming the microRendu current demand combined with the microIDSD doesn't exceed LPS1 limits. Make sure the microIDSD battery is charged before trying this.

Larry

Larry et al,

How do you know that the internal battery is not being used anyway (assuming blue light is gone, of course)? Is there a setting that allows for direct power?

Larry et al,

How do you know that the internal battery is not being used anyway (assuming blue light is gone, of course)? Is there a setting that allows for direct power?

By reading the directions ;) (and Head-Fi). If you turn on the power switch before applying external power, the iFi uses its battery until it drops to 80% power (a couple of hours). If you apply external power before turning on the switch, external power is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

By reading the directions ;) (and Head-Fi). If you turn on the power switch before applying external power, the iFi uses its battery until it drops to 80% power (a couple of hours). If you apply external power before turning on the switch, external power is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Got it. Thanks. And no, haven't yet read much about its settings I guess. :)

While we are on the subject of what the BL uses, do you think breaking it in on the headphone out (running 24/7 signal into my cans at low volume) is also breaking in the analog stage going to the RCAs (which will be used for the review)?

Ted, the blue light indicates that the device is in charging mode.

The battery mode is controlled by the state of the external power input, vbus, at startup. Here is the procedure.

Using the volume knob turn the DAC entirely off, indicated by a click.

Now if you power the DAC on with no external power connected, it will be in battery mode, even if power is supplied after turn on. When in this mode, if the battery is depleted, external power will be connected and used to power the DAC if present.

Likewise, if you connect an energized USB cable, and then use the volume knob to turn the DAC on, it is in external power mode. It is unclear to me if the battery is still connected in parallel to the DAC in this mode. This mode sounds best to me using the lps-1 with the black label.

Perhaps IFI can chime in. I'm sure my explanation here can be amplified or corrected.

I hope that answers your question.

We're very suspicious about anything we evaluate/test, from fundamental circuit topologies via individual chips to passive components. And we tend to disbelieve hype until proven otherwise.

This is why we always suggest to potential customers to try the product before they buy it and that's why we encourage our retailers to offer generous return policies. The very low return rates of our products - to us and our retail partners at least - confirm that these machines live up to reasonable (and often even unreasonable) expectations.

We are usually very enthusiastic about our devices. Simply because we put into them the best components we could find given strict cost frame and always according to our know-how. We always feel it represents both excellent sound quality and value. We hope this does however not end up as hype, if we are sometimes too enthusiastic we beg to be excused.

We're very suspicious about anything we evaluate/test, from fundamental circuit topologies via individual chips to passive components. And we tend to disbelieve hype until proven otherwise.

Yeah, I feel the same way so why don't you post some objective data from an AP test on this device compared to the Silver instead of the pure BS?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Yeah, I feel the same way so why don't you post some objective data from an AP test on this device compared to the Silver instead of the pure BS?

Have you ever had the silver? Did you like It. If the answer is yes then yes bad news for you the black is drammatically better go and compare It for your self unless YOU do not believe your own ears.

I can think of another truly and highly hyped competitor whos products are clearly inferior despite their perfect measurements and impressive specs yet everyone licks their marble balls seduced by the strong promotion and advertising.

Hearing is believing and we listen to music in order to enjoy and relax we do not measure It in the lab..

Good evening Loplop,

Comparative testing between the differents iFi DAC's exists ... i was lucky enough to get the iDAC2 / iDSD (silver) / iUSB2/ iUSB3 for a comparative test. You will find it there :

[h=2]Ecoute comparative : les DAC iFi IDSD et iDAC2[/h]http://enceintesetmusiques.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2545&p=74780#p74780

... in french language, I don't remember if I made any translation.

Surprisingly enough, with a good power source as the Uptone JS2+iUSB3 interface, the difference between IDSD and iDAC2 war not always in favor of the iDSD. I loved the very straight listening of the iDAC2, and also its very easy ergonomics (no battery loading). With the standard power unit, the two DAC stay in a very good league and are still hard to beat knowing the price. There are better performers ... if you have >2000e to spend.

I did not made any comparative test with the iDSD BL-did'nt exist at that time-. My feeling is that is has both qualities, the warmth and humanity of the iDSD and the linearity of the iDAC2. But that is also a matter of taste, and at its price, the idAC2 -with the right power supply- if a hard-to-fight competitor.

One thing I did not test is the direct supply of the iDSD/iDAC2 with the 5v output of the JS2 (i did not have the right adaptator). I would be curious if someone has done this test.

Regards,

Mathieu

Have you ever had the silver? Did you like It. If the answer is yes then yes bad news for you the black is drammatically better go and compare It for your self unless YOU do not believe your own ears.

I can think of another truly and highly hyped competitor whos products are clearly inferior despite their perfect measurements and impressive specs yet everyone licks their marble balls seduced by the strong promotion and advertising.

Hearing is believing and we listen to music in order to enjoy and relax we do not measure It in the lab..

I own the silver now which is for sale. I'll respectfully disagree.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos