IGNORED

iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label (released on the 30th of November 2016)

Surprisingly enough, with a good power source as the Uptone JS2+iUSB3 interface, the difference between IDSD and iDAC2 war not always in favor of the iDSD. I loved the very straight listening of the iDAC2, and also its very easy ergonomics (no battery loading). With the standard power unit, the two DAC stay in a very good league and are still hard to beat knowing the price. There are better performers ... if you have >2000e to spend.

It's not really a surprise since the manufactures says that purely as a dac, the iDAC2 is superior to iDSD.

I own the silver now which is for sale. I'll respectfully disagree.

I too would love to see more measurements reflecting what the designers think are the audible improvements.

BTW, Jason, I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I did feel the Black Label sounded better than the original version I own when a friend brought it over for a listen. Anecdotal, subjective, unreliable, etc., so just take it (or not) for what it's worth. Keeping mine as I've got the building of a retirement home for me and my wife as a priority at the moment, but that was my impression.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yeah, I feel the same way so why don't you post some objective data from an AP test on this device compared to the Silver instead of the pure BS?

Hi,

Parts upgrade choices were not chosen based upon measurements as there was nothing to measure. Upgrade choices were based on:

i. General feedback we received on the sound quality of the iDSD micro, especially criticism, to determine the direction of adjustment to subjective sound quality.

ii. Experience over decades how specific parts choices shape subjective sound quality to determine possible candidates to adjust subjective sound quality into the desired direction.

iii. Testing the part options in the actual device, following burn-in, by listening to each change in isolation and cumulative (which is not a fast process).

A final "bake-off" between original iDSD and three slightly different modification packages was conducted to determine the final "winning" combination. Some customers and distributors were involved at this stage. In effect all testing was blind, only serial numbers on the casework differed.

During this time we have naturally performed standard objective tests (simply as part of the QC any device goes through) to make sure no changes made the performance objectively worse (we did not find anything that made traditional measurements better either).

Not wishing to start a debate on listening versus measurements, we only ask that people listen for themselves and trust their own ears. Which is why this goes hand in hand with why we always advocate that one auditions before buying. We have always stuck to this and AMR or iFi audio... this will not change.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

By reading the directions ;) (and Head-Fi). If you turn on the power switch before applying external power, the iFi uses its battery until it drops to 80% power (a couple of hours). If you apply external power before turning on the switch, external power is used.Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

This is incorrect.

To run off USB power, just plug the iDSD into a live USB port and then turn it on. You are now running off USB power.

To run off battery, as you said, turn on the iDSD before connecting to a live USB port. At that point, it is running off battery (with a small trickle to the battery from USB), and it will continue to run off battery until it dies, at which point you will need to unplug it, switch off, and plug into a power source (with the iDSD off) to recharge.

However, if you don't kill the battery when running in battery mode, and you leave it plugged in but cut the signal, it will go into "sleep" mode after 3 minutes. At this time, it will only charge to 80% full, then going back into standby (while charging the light will be blue, when 80% is reached it will flash green) awaiting a signal. This is designed so you can put less stress on the battery when you don't require a full 100% charge.

The 80% top off mode doesn't always work; mine sometimes charges itself to 100%, anyway, even though I followed the above steps... Or, it doesn't actually enter sleep/charge mode at all, requiring me to remove from USB, "reboot", and try again. This only happens, say, 1 out of 20 uses so I'm not fretting about it.

Good evening Loplop,

...Surprisingly enough, with a good power source as the Uptone JS2+iUSB3 interface, the difference between IDSD and iDAC2 war not always in favor of the iDSD. I loved the very straight listening of the iDAC2, and also its very easy ergonomics (no battery loading). With the standard power unit, the two DAC stay in a very good league and are still hard to beat knowing the price. There are better performers ... if you have >2000e to spend.

Mathieu

Hello Mathieu, thanks for the link--I hadn't yet seen that.

I have only done a cursory comparison so far, but as a DAC only I preferred the iDAC2. Generally, the iDAC2 presents more dimensionality and image solidity, as well as greater harmonic richness and dynamic shadings, and with greater apparent air and extension in the treble region. The iDSD is slightly more polite and diffuse, as well as slightly warmer. They both have a similar house sound, really, but I found the iDAC2 a more fully realized version of that sound when using as a standalone DAC.

On the negative side, I have heard the iDAC2 get a little naughty (bright) in the treble region with one particular amp setup behind it, although with the amp I normally use (iCAN Pro) I don't feel that way, so matching may be important here. In any case, I am burning in my new iTUBE2 and iCAN SE, so I am using the opportunity to add some more hours to the iDAC2 to see if the treble settles a little (the iDSD BL was a bit 'splashy' in the treble at first, this settled in over time).

I am using the iDAC2 with the iUSB3, BTW. It seems to be a very good pairing.

For my iDSD BL, somewhere after 350 hours it developed a sound I really enjoy. Now, with just over 400 hours on it, there's really nothing I'm dissatisfied about from a standalone DAC/Amp perspective. Although I have a lot of other great headphone and speaker-based stuff to listen to, I have zero qualms about sitting down for an evening with the simple setup of my MBP feeding the iDSD BL out to my LCDX. It's just a fantastically enjoyable setup, and I've spent many long hours delving into musical catalogs, not thinking about gear the entire time. That's just great, in my book, and I've been using it a lot in that way as of late. I added the iTube2/iCAN SE for kicks, but they're not strictly necessary for musical enjoyment.

In other iDSD BL news, I tried using an iPurifier2 with the iDSD BL (Type B version, using the supplied B to A adapter) and I found I didn't prefer the resulting sound, which became a bit unnaturally etched. I went back to the "naked" iDSD BL. I haven't tried it with my iUSB3, although I really should once I sit it into the new "micro stack" where it will stay (unless I need the iDSD's transportability).

This is incorrect.

To run off USB power, just plug the iDSD into a live USB port and then turn it on. You are now running off USB power.

To run off battery, as you said, turn on the iDSD before connecting to a live USB port. At that point, it is running off battery (with a small trickle to the battery from USB), and it will continue to run off battery until it dies, at which point you will need to unplug it, switch off, and plug into a power source (with the iDSD off) to recharge.

However, if you don't kill the battery when running in battery mode, and you leave it plugged in but cut the signal, it will go into "sleep" mode after 3 minutes. At this time, it will only charge to 80% full, then going back into standby (while charging the light will be blue, when 80% is reached it will flash green) awaiting a signal. This is designed so you can put less stress on the battery when you don't require a full 100% charge.

The 80% top off mode doesn't always work; mine sometimes charges itself to 100%, anyway, even though I followed the above steps... Or, it doesn't actually enter sleep/charge mode at all, requiring me to remove from USB, "reboot", and try again. This only happens, say, 1 out of 20 uses so I'm not fretting about it.

Sorry, but nothing you have said contradicts what I wrote, with a single possible exception.

I did not talk about cutting the signal and going into sleep mode. I talked about *playing* from battery. I said if started on battery, the iFi will continue *playing* on battery until it reaches 80% (perhaps two hours), at which time it would begin to draw USB power. If you know that the last part of this is incorrect and the iFi will *not* draw USB power at 80% battery level, please let us know. (Or the kind iFi folks can tell us.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Sorry, but nothing you have said contradicts what I wrote, with a single possible exception.

I did not talk about cutting the signal and going into sleep mode. I talked about *playing* from battery. I said if started on battery, the iFi will continue *playing* on battery until it reaches 80% (perhaps two hours), at which time it would begin to draw USB power. If you know that the last part of this is incorrect and the iFi will *not* draw USB power at 80% battery level, please let us know. (Or the kind iFi folks can tell us.)

@Jud the iDSD Micro's will play on battery until they hit voltage cutoff. ifi has stated that the unit will draw some minimal amount of power from USB in the process, depending upon the load you are driving you may never hit the point where the battery dies. I assume this means the unit is always drawing this minimal amount of USB power, of course ifi can clarify.

The 80% is only in reference to the charging process once the unit hits sleep, which I laid out above.

FWIW, I've had my iDSD BL run on battery power for days when connected to a powered USB port, in ECO mode, and driving a very light headphone load. Alternately, I've had it die when playing on battery power, connected to a powered USB port and driving a more difficult load (normal mode with LCD3, or RCA out).

HTH

@Jud the iDSD Micro's will play on battery until they hit voltage cutoff. ifi has stated that the unit will draw some minimal amount of power from USB in the process, depending upon the load you are driving you may never hit the point where the battery dies. I assume this means the unit is always drawing this minimal amount of USB power, of course ifi can clarify.

The 80% is only in reference to the charging process once the unit hits sleep, which I laid out above.

FWIW, I've had my iDSD BL run on battery power for days when connected to a powered USB port, in ECO mode, and driving a very light headphone load. Alternately, I've had it die when playing on battery power, connected to a powered USB port and driving a more difficult load (normal mode with LCD3, or RCA out).

HTH

It does, thanks. So whatever trickle charge goes on isn't enough to keep the battery charged given a sufficient load. How long did it take to die with heavier loads?

Is the trickle charge always occurring, even from full charge with the Eco setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Short Answer

"The 80% top off mode doesn't always work" – we beg to differ, it does always work, because it is a hardware control signal.

1. With the iDSD micro switched on it ABSOLUTELY CANNOT charge past 4.05V or appx. 80% of full charge. When the iDSD micro is switched off, the maximum charge voltage is 4.2V or 100% Charge.

This is controlled by a mechanical power switch, so there is no way for the charger circuit in the iDSD micro to ‘disobey.’ So when the iDSD micro is switched on, it will ‘top-up’ charge to 80% in 20 out of 20 top-ups. If the Blue LED during sleep is off, it means the battery is charged to 80%, not 100%.

The power control system in the iDSD micro is extremely complex, in design and programming we had a state machine model that had 52 different states for the software alone and there additional controls that are pure hardware and if we include would produce 208 possible states for the power system.

However in use it is really easy and with a minimum level of care and following instructions one never need to know much.

2. WHENEVER music is playing it DOES NOT charge in any way whatsoever, USB Power is completely cut off and internally disconnected.

ONLY if no music plays will the iDSD micro will enter sleep mode, where heavy battery consumers are shut off and it will attempt to charge.

But iPhones and earlier Android Phones (as common when the iDSD micro was released) do not provide large amounts of current (e.g. 500mA) and for those phones the iDSD micro will immediately terminate the charge attempt (before any protection systems can bomb).

It will charge from any attached USB Power adaptor or USB Port that delivers over ~150mA, which includes modern android smartphones (hence Firmware 5.XB - Sleepless not just in Seattle). This is why we coded several flavours of firmware!

Long Answer (you asked!)

"The 80% top off mode doesn't always work" – we beg to differ, it does always work, because it is a hardware control signal. With the iDSD micro switched on it ABSOLUTELY CANNOT charge past 4.05V or appx. 80% of full charge. When the iDSD micro is switched off, the maximum charge voltage is 4.2V or 100% Charge.

0) Power Modes

0.1) Battery Power - turn on iDSD micro BEFORE attaching the USB connection. This state is ‘latched’ regardless of connection/disconnection of USB until the iDSD micro is turned off or loses power from a flat battery.

In Battery Power mode, if there is no music playing for 3 minutes, the iDSD micro will go into sleep mode (minimise power consumption) and charge if the host (source) makes sufficient charge power available. Charge is always capped at 80%.

0.2) USB Power - turn on iDSD micro AFTER attaching the USB connection. This state is ‘latched’ regardless of connection/disconnection of USB until the iDSD micro is turned off or loses power from a flat battery.

If the USB Host does not provide sufficient power to operate the difference will be drawn from the battery. If there is more power available than needed to operate the iDSD micro, it will be used to charge the battery if the battery requires charging.

In USB Power mode, if there is no music playing for 15 minutes, the iDSD micro will go into sleep mode (minimise power consumption) to speed up recharging. Charge is always capped at 80%.

0.3) Recharge - turn off iDSD micro. It will charge from any available power source at the maximum rate supported. Even power sources that the iDSD micro would not draw charge from when turned on will be used. An appx. 18 hour timeout makes sure to avoid overcharging a damaged battery.

0.4) USB BC1.2 Standard - For charging use a USB if BC1.2 compliant ‘charging USB Port.’ Many modern PCs and Laptops have them, if not BC1.2 charging USB hubs are available.

Using BC1.2 ports makes sure that the iDSD micro can draw 1.5 Ampere from the USB Port, meaning in normal mode it can operate at full tilt AND recharge a flat battery within 6 Hours simultaneously. Even in Turbo mode the battery will recharge at a significant rate (<= 12 Hours flat to 80%).

Not using BC1.2 compliant chargers limit the maximum current drawn from USB to 0.5A. This means in normal mode there is no current ‘left over’ to charge the battery and in turbo mode the battery is slowly depleted even if running on USB power.

While some non-standard (proprietary - e.g. Apple, Samsung) chargers may be correctly detected, this is not guaranteed with the original iDSD micro and often Apple (and Samsung) chargers are detected as 0.5A power sources. This is due to Apple's choice to actively avoid complying with industry standards and Samsung following suit.

The charger detection chipset in the iDSD micro Black Label is upgraded from Fairchild to TI which detects Apple chargers correctly 100% of the time.

The iFi iUSB 3.0 nano & micro are BC1.2 standard compliant USB power sources that offer additional benefits for USB Audio.

1) Continuous desktop/home use in battery mode

1.1) Preparation - Make sure to let the iDSD micro charge fully over a > 12 Hour period switched off to make sure the battery is at maximum charge. Disconnect iDSD micro and reconnectet while switched off. The LED should turn blue for a few seconds, then go off. If the LED stays blue it means the previous charge process timed out before the battery was full, in this case investigate your USB cable and charger/port used, as they may provide insufficient power.

1.2) Operation - Turn on iDSD micro before connecting the USB cable. Leave turned on permanently. Make sure that the USB Audio stream cuts off when not using the iDSD micro Audio and the iDSD micro goes into sleep / sleep & charge mode.

Then, if attached to a BC1.2 USB port and at least given at least 50% "sleep time" in every 12 Hour period running in turbo, 18 Hour Period in Normal and 24 Hour Period in Eco mode, operation is "forget about it"and completely transparent and remains in Battery mode until switched off or the battery is depleted due to lack of USB power or prolonged use.

2) Continuous use in USB mode

2.1) Preparation - Make sure to let the iDSD micro charge fully over a > 12 Hour period switched off to make sure the battery is at maximum charge. Disconnect iDSD micro and reconnectet while switched off. The LED should turn blue for a few seconds, then go off. If the LED stays blue it means the previous charge process timed out before the battery was full, in this case investigate your USB cable and charger/port used, as they may provide insufficient power.

2.2) Operation - Turn on iDSD micro after connecting the USB cable. Leave turned on permanently. Make sure that the USB Audio stream cuts off when not using the iDSD micro Audio and the iDSD micro goes into sleep mode.

Then, if attached to a BC1.2 USB port, operation is ‘forget about it’ and completely transparent. If attached to a standard USB Port ‘forget about it’ use is limited to Eco & Normal power modes.

3) Portable use in battery mode

3.1) Preparation - Make sure to let the iDSD micro charge fully over a > 12 Hour period switched off to make sure the battery is at maximum charge. Disconnect iDSD micro and reconnect while switched off. The LED should turn blue for a few seconds, then go off. If the LED stays blue it means the previous charge process timed out before the battery was full, in this case investigate your USB cable and charger/port used, as they may provide insufficient power.

If using any recent Android device via USB please change the firmware to Version 5.XB to disable sleep mode. This significantly shortens operational battery life in cases of long periods with the iDSD micro connected but not playing music, however it avoids drawing charge from the phone when no music is playing.

3.2) Operation - Turn on iDSD micro before connecting the USB cable. Disconnect and turn off your iDSD micro when not requiring it's use for a long period of time.

3.3) Recharge - Turn off iDSD micro before connecting to a USB Charger. Use a BC1.2 compliant charger (iDSD micro Black label also Apple or Samsung 1A or higher current Chargers) to shorten charge time. When the LED stops shining blue, the battery is fully charged.

Short Answer

"The 80% top off mode doesn't always work" – we beg to differ, it does always work, because it is a hardware control signal.

1. With the iDSD micro switched on it ABSOLUTELY CANNOT charge past 4.05V or appx. 80% of full charge. When the iDSD micro is switched off, the maximum charge voltage is 4.2V or 100% Charge.

This is controlled by a mechanical power switch, so there is no way for the charger circuit in the iDSD micro to ‘disobey.’ So when the iDSD micro is switched on, it will ‘top-up’ charge to 80% in 20 out of 20 top-ups. If the Blue LED during sleep is off, it means the battery is charged to 80%, not 100%.

Thanks for clarifying, @AMR/iFi audio .

Then I clearly have a defective unit, or you have a programming bug... as my unit sometimes refuses to top off to 80% once I have used it for quite some time, stopped sending a signal, and the iDSD BL has gone into standby mode. Here's my normal nightly use case:

1. plug MBP into wall outlet

2. turn on iDSD BL (not connected to MBP)

3. when iDSD BL is flashing green, plug iDSD BL into MBP with ifi's provided blue USB3 cable

4. listen to music ~2 hours

5. stop music on MBP, close MBP lid (computer goes to sleep)

6. go off and prepare for bed

7. when I return from #6, usually ~10 mins, the iDSD BL will be doing one of two things:

7a. blue light (charging)

7b. flashing green light (not charging)

If I see 7b, I detach the iDSD BL from MBP, switch it off, switch it on, wait until it is flashing green, and plug back into MBP. Light turns solid color, I wait 3 mins, and it then turns blue. I can confirm that once this has happened, even 1 hour later the iDSD BL is still charging, so there's no way it was at 80% when #5 above occurred. I have never, when doing this, had it enter 7b state again. I haven't kept a log of dates this has occurred, but it has happened more than a handful of times in the last month. Certainly not daily, a wild guess is 1 out of 5 times.

Note: I never charge to 100% (on purpose) as I have no need to. So rinse & repeat steps 1-7 above, always starting from 80% charge state.

So your definitive statement may be true in design theory, but in operational practice, it isn't true for my unit. In the end I should clarify for the record: the 80% top off doesn't always work on my specific iDSD BL.

How long did it take to die with heavier loads?

Excellent Q! I didn't time it, so I can't say :(

Generally, I never hit the limits of the battery until weekends. My process on weekends was to use the unit organically, across hifi and headphone listening. Listen for some number of hours, usually I'd have to depart for one reason or another so I put it on a USB charger and let it start to charge back to 80%, then listen again, depart, etc. On two occasions I eventually got the flashing red (if I saw it) or simply cutoff at some point during the day. That's seriously heavy usage, though, and there are two ways I could have worked around it: 1) initial charge to 100% instead of 80%, 2) a better USB charger (I was just using an old android phone charger, I think only 1.2A rated, who knows actual output).

In the end, I solved the issue by purchasing an iDAC2, which now serves the hifi and one headphone rig. The iDSD BL isn't leaned on so heavily anymore, certainly not for 4-5 hours of background-doing-other-stuff-on-a-Saturday type of listening.

Thanks for clarifying, @AMR/iFi audio .

Then I clearly have a defective unit, or you have a programming bug... as my unit sometimes refuses to top off to 80% once I have used it for quite some time, stopped sending a signal, and the iDSD BL has gone into standby mode.

The hardware in the iDSD micro under sleep will attempt to charge 100% of the sleep events (this is a fundamental routine), but charge will only be entered if there is sufficient power available.

Flashing green light may be simply because the MBP turned off the USB port power or limited power to < 150mA.

Many laptops (by default) may turn off or apply power saving (suspend mode) the USB ports power when in a sleep/suspend state. Details vary with hardware/software and behaviour is not always reproducible.

If there is no USB Power, the iDSD micro cannot charge. This is not a fault of the iDSD micro. Make sure to set your MBP so it continues to power the USB port even if in "deep sleep".

On many laptops (other than Apple) dedicated ports are fitted that supply charge power under all conditions.

The hardware in the iDSD micro under sleep will attempt to charge 100% of the sleep events (this is a fundamental routine), but charge will only be entered if there is sufficient power available.

Flashing green light may be simply because the MBP turned off the USB port power or limited power to < 150mA.

Many laptops (by default) may turn off or apply power saving (suspend mode) the USB ports power when in a sleep/suspend state. Details vary with hardware/software and behaviour is not always reproducible.

If there is no USB Power, the iDSD micro cannot charge. This is not a fault of the iDSD micro. Make sure to set your MBP so it continues to power the USB port even if in "deep sleep".

On many laptops (other than Apple) dedicated ports are fitted that supply charge power under all conditions.

Apple laptops power the USB port when asleep, up to 900mA on my USB3 equipped MBP: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377

Furthermore, I believe I have ruled out the MBP; when the issue occurs, I have tried unplugging and plugging back in the USB cable from the iDSDto the MBP. This wakes the iDSD from flashing green (sleep) to solid color (awake, receiving signal). MBP is still with lid closed, asleep, and remains untouched. After 3 minutes, flashing green light (iDSD sleep) starts again. At this point, if you unplug iDSD and cycle power on the iDSD by physically turning the volume knob to OFF and back on, then plug back into still sleeping untouched MBP, you get solid color for connection... and in 100% of my tests at this point after 3 minutes the iDSD will enter charge state, indicated by the blue light. Since the power state never changed on the MBP during the tests, only the state of the iDSD, the finger is still pointing at the iDSD.

Just last night this issue occurred yet again, whereas with the same steps, same cables, same USB port, same computer it did not occur the previous night.

I hear what you are saying (that this behavior is not possible on iDSD BL) but theory isn't matching reality. I'd be happy to try some other troubleshooting steps, if you'd like, but to be honest I've given up long ago as this clearly seems like a bug in the iDSD charging behavior, it's really not a big deal to me as the workaround is simple, and my iDSD BL sounds great.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I have sold my micro to use the money to get the black label may I ask when is that due to go on sale?

I just sent my micro SE back the same to invest on a different amp/dac combo, and after 48 hours was missing it and considering buying it back! Then this lands!! Oh My...think I'm just gonna buy it soon before they disappear off the shelves. Edit: just bought it :) should be here by next FridAy. [emoji4]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Hi Ted,

Jud is correct, one can inject LPS-1 power into the microIDSD via an Adnaco USB or REGEN. I have also done the same with an Aqvox cable.

I don't have a microRendu, but that is likely to work as well assuming the microRendu current demand combined with the microIDSD doesn't exceed LPS1 limits. Make sure the microIDSD battery is charged before trying this.

And indeed, there is always the internal battery. To my ears, the silver microIDSD sounds best powered from its internal battery, where the black label sounds best powered from the LPS-1. There is no doubt that the BL bests the silver in any playback mode.

Are you planning to feed the BL native DSD512? Hearing is believing. You want to hear this!

Also BL break-in takes many weeks.

Feel free to PM me for details.

Larry

Larry,

I'm wondering if you choose the iDSD BL over the iDAC2 purely for its higher resolution? I read your post in another thread raving about the results you're getting by using something like HQPlayer to convert output to the highest capable resolution of this dac.

Gary

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Gary, I bought my original microIDSD due to its ability to handle dsd512 streams upsampled with HQplayer. Later the upgrade to the BL was more out of curiosity, and happily the improvement was compelling.

I've never considered the idac2, nor have I heard one. I would be surprised if it sounds as good as the microIDSD at dsd512.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Gary, I bought my original microIDSD due to its ability to handle dsd512 streams upsampled with HQplayer. Later the upgrade to the BL was more out of curiosity, and happily the improvement was compelling.

I've never considered the idac2, nor have I heard one. I would be surprised if it sounds as good as the microIDSD at dsd512.

iDAC2 is "limited" at DSD256... and yes it sounds more refined than the iDSD BL.

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

So Dyson, have you compared the SQ of the two DACs at their fastest DSD rates?

I own the 2 versions of the iDSD and the iDAC2. All used as desktop DAC.

Yes I have compared them but at DSD256 only, because Mac can't go higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

I like to think of a DAC as having (at least) 3 parts to its design that produce its "sound:" (1) Analog design (including the final analog filter); (2) Digital design (essentially the interpolation filters and modulator); (3) Parts quality.

Feeding DSD256 or DSD512 to a DAC can remove at least a portion of #2 from the equation, but you've still got #s 1 and 3 that can make a difference.

I like to think of a DAC as having (at least) 3 parts to its design that produce its "sound:" (1) Analog design (including the final analog filter); (2) Digital design (essentially the interpolation filters and modulator); (3) Parts quality.

Feeding DSD256 or DSD512 to a DAC can remove at least a portion of #2 from the equation, but you've still got #s 1 and 3 that can make a difference.

Yes without listening it is tough to say that the improved idac2 analog section #1 beats any sq increase gained from doubling the DSD rate to 512 #2 on the microIDSD.

Hopefully we have an opportunity to test this someday. Nevertheless, at the moment I can't say I am particularly motivated to do so given the outstanding SQ and continued SQ gains recently achieved with the microIDSD BL.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Yes without listening it is tough to say that the improved idac2 analog section #1 beats any sq increase gained from doubling the DSD rate to 512 #2 on the microIDSD.

Hopefully we have an opportunity to test this someday. Nevertheless, at the moment I can't say I am particularly motivated to do so given the outstanding SQ and continued SQ gains recently achieved with the microIDSD BL.

Thanks

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

In addition to what we wrote earlier, here's the extended version:

Easy connection and piggybacking with smartphones using OTG cable (android) or camera kit (iOS) was our aim in discussed machine's case. It is meant for portable use primarily.

As for USB input, we're not the only ones with type A implementation. Many DACs come with USB-A plugs (all the "USB dongle" types) and others have used USB mini or micro.

If a pure stationary (desktop/hifi system) DAC is required, looking at iDAC 2 micro and iCAN SE micro (and perhaps a complementary iUSB 3.0 nano) delivers a system that more than matches the iDSD sonically and is optimised and designed for desktop / Hifi System use.

TLDR: iDSD was meant for portable use mainly, hence we did what we did.

Ican SE has no usb hookups!

Mine arrived yesterday after FedEx delays due to the weather. Right out of the ice cold box impressions are good and it has started a burn in cycle. I'll report back after 100 hours or so. Not sure how long this one needs to burn in. We noticed changes past 350 hours on the BL. At 500 hours it was smooth and sounds great.

That's leaving it on 24/7 for 20 days..crazy.

Don't drop your suspicions, but listen if you have a chance - it's quite good with the right material fed to it (which IMO is music upsampled to DSD256 or DSD512 from Audirvana Plus or HQPlayer). And the USB power can be removed as any sort of sonic problem at not a huge expense, relatively speaking. Edit: This DAC will also run for hours from its own internal battery, and you can easily switch between battery and a USB power source of your choice to see which you prefer.

Would this unit be overkill for Tidal HiFi use off my Lgv20? Don't mind if it is, just want to be the envy of my friends is all. :D

That's leaving it on 24/7 for 20 days..crazy.

Leaving the computer and DAC on are not a problem. As long as they are running signal into a preamp, you will achieve burn in. I use freq sweeps with pink noise and leave it on 24/7 as you guessed. Every few days we fire up the system and listen to how it has changed. This is a pretty standard burn in method btw.

It has been a while since I've posted on this. The BL was returned and the iDAC2 has been a great addition to the system. It is the best sounding iFi product in our system to date and at a much better price point. I'm thankful for the recommendations made on this string. If it wasn't for them, I may not have tried the iDAC2.