IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well April is here. I realize that April is still 30 days long but I am pretty much done with KEF for encouraging buyers with the Roon Ready "Coming Soon" marketing.

I contacted the vendor that I purchased from and they have agreed to take my speakers back with a 10% restock and just $12 for shipping the two heavy speakers and the KEF stands. I am way past the company standard return policy and I would have lost a LOT more money if I tried to sell them.

Two reasons prompted my decision. First, the vaporware marketing by KEF. It has been over 6 months since their Roon "Coming Soon" product "launch". The second reason is that to me they sound good but not great. I would not call them "Giant Killers" but it depends upon what you are used to.

They probably sound better than what your could get in separates for $3200 (streamer/DAC/Preamp/amp/speakers/cables). If you sell off some really good gear you may feel regret. My previous Linear Tube Audio and Omega Audio equipment was much better, although a lot more expensive. I should add that my listening impressions include using the KEF coax input with an expensive Roon(RAAT)front end which most likely exceeds what they will be able to achieve with their Roon firmware and built-in DAC.

If you need to downsize or just want to simplify these new LS50s may well suit you but I would suggest waiting until KEF has actually pushed out the Roon Ready firmware update before buying. They could certainly be satisfying for casual listening and for TV.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, HamSammich said:

Hoo boy. Hate to do it to you, given your choice. But, wow. They sound great. The quiet gets quieter and the highs get cleaner and more articulate. Worth the wait.

No problem. Glad to hear that. I would think that the difference in sound quality in one's own system would be dependent on what you had been using to stream. The KEF's do give a lot of bang for the buck.

Thanks for the input.  

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, robi20064 said:
Does anyone still have LS50W_FW_UpgradeTool_V4.0.0 or LS50_Wireless_Firmware_Up date_Tool_V4.0.0 and would mind sharing? Seems KEF removed all their original LS50 Wireless related content from their site.

LS50W_FW_Upgrade_Tool_V4.0.0 (1).zip

Hope this works

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet