IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

1 hour ago, Tait said:

I've never listened to my KEF's via wireless so can't comment there, but the difference between streaming natively via the KEF app and my Innuos setup really is night and day.

Thanks for that. It sounds like I should try a good quality streamer from my other systems to hear for myself.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

18 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

Thanks for that. It sounds like I should try a good quality streamer from my other systems to hear for myself.

I think you just need to get away from the KEF app. I stream to the ls50w via a Roon server -- better sound and rock solid performance.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
44 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

I think you just need to get away from the KEF app. I stream to the ls50w via a Roon server -- better sound and rock solid performance.

I use BubbleUPnP on Android to stream from a hard disk attached to my router which runs MiniDLNA. I assume that the KEF app uses the same mechanism and should sound the same. I need to experiment with different ways of driving the LS50s, but I’m currently not a Roon subscriber.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

On 6/16/2020 at 4:19 PM, bunno77 said:

Very happy this thread is still going. I still don't own them but have heard them quite a few times now.

Can I ask if you have compared this to using the ethernet input ie Roon/DLNA etc via ethernet

Sorry, somehow missed this post.

I tried Roon briefly, before I bought the Zenith, using a laptop, but for me, I couldn't justify the price of Roon.

Innuos Zenith MK2, Innuos Phoenix USB re-clocker, KEF LS50 active speakers

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 8:08 PM, Tait said:

Thought I'd revive this thread by describing the improvements that adding an Innuos Phoenix has done to my LS50's and MK2 Zenith server setup.

Wait you spent $6000 on a server and usb re-clocker to put digital signal into the internal DAC of a pair of all in one speakers? 

• 2 months later...

I'm considering the Kef LS50 Wireless II, the only thing holding me back is I really like the sound of my Chord DAC and I am not sure the result I would have feeing my Chord into the Analog inputs of the LS50 WII.  From my understanding Kef will convert that signal to digital to be able to use DSP on that.   Anyone with the LS50 Wireless try something like that before, and how did that work out for you?

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

24 minutes ago, No Disc said:

I'm considering the Kef LS50 Wireless II, the only thing holding me back is I really like the sound of my Chord DAC and I am not sure the result I would have feeing my Chord into the Analog inputs of the LS50 WII.  From my understanding Kef will convert that signal to digital to be able to use DSP on that.   Anyone with the LS50 Wireless try something like that before, and how did that work out for you?

Just noticed the LS50 Wireless II launch. I've been using the LS50W I for 3+ years now and they have been an outstanding investment. I am surprised though that USB input is gone, why would they do that? I have my pair connected to my media player via digital spdif and also to my laptop docking station and switch back and forth as needed. Sounds like upgrading to LSWII would be a step backwards?

8 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@No Disc

LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

VS the new KEF wireless ll

On paper, I say no doubt you will enjoy the new KEF 😀

(via Ethernet)

I need to update that equipment.  While I still have the AudioEngine, I mostly use the QMS Q4P which is a bi-amped active speaker from China with AMT ribbon.   http://www.qmsaudio.com/productshow.asp?id=204

Comments from this Audiogon thread would seem to indicate that indeeds the DAC portion of the KEF might be a weak point.   

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/kef-ls50-wireless-internal-vs-external-dac

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

Looks like they omitted the RCA jacks as well on the  2's 

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

1 hour ago, No Disc said:

There are lots of Kef dealers, maybe you can find one who will let you bring in your Chord at an audition.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, No Disc said:

I bought a pair of Mark2's this week and am working to tweak them for best performance, testing various inputs etc..

Currently I am using the RCA SPDIF input from my Audiolinux/Mutec USB/Roon front end. Even though the speakers are still settling in they sound very good. I am still looking forward to Roon completing their "Roon Ready" certification so that I can use their RAAT protocol and really simplify my system. 

I also have a pair of LSX's that I have owned for a year. They started life as my desktop speakers but got little use so I moved them into our upstairs TV room. When they were on my desk I thought that the best input was the analog using my Yggdrasil DAC. I know that this is counter intuitive since that input goes through an AD converter and then to their own DAC(s). I read other posts online where others had felt the same way.

I will give that a try with my MK2's. I have a (probably vain) hope that I will like the RAAT or SPDIF input enough to be able to sell off a lot of my downstream equipment.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Does anyone have a pair of the new LS50 mk2's and are using the SPDIF input?

Supposedly you can change a setting in KEF Connect called "Second Wake-up Source" so that if the KEFs sense a signal on the RCA SPDIF input(or another input of your choice) they will turn on or come out of sleep. I made that setting change but it does not turn them on when I start music in ROON. Once I power them on manually they pass the signal perfectly.

Any suggestions?

System

Hi all,

I have LS50Ws for two years, and sometimes (two times in 2 months I have the left (not the main) speaker reboot. It turns off, then turns on again shortly after. The sound cuts for about 7 to 10s (only on the left), the time of the OFF / ON.

I noticed this while using the USB input (plugged into an nvidia shield). I don't know if it's related because it really infrequently does. 
The firmware is up to date.

Do you know this problem? What would you do in my situation ?

Thank you.

5 hours ago, cyayon said:

Hi all,

I have LS50Ws for two years, and sometimes (two times in 2 months I have the left (not the main) speaker reboot. It turns off, then turns on again shortly after. The sound cuts for about 7 to 10s (only on the left), the time of the OFF / ON.

I noticed this while using the USB input (plugged into an nvidia shield). I don't know if it's related because it really infrequently does. 
The firmware is up to date.

Do you know this problem? What would you do in my situation ?

Thank you.

Sounds like a power supply or protection circuitry issue, especially if it literally reboots with all lights going off as opposed to just dropping signal for a moment. I would definitely give KEF a call.

Good luck!

System

There is no light on slave left speaker, but i could hear the relay on this left speaker (OFF then ON).

I contacted KEF, they just told me to contact local service :-(.

I contacted them, and they have never hear of this type of issue. As it appears not very often, i would be very difficult to found the root issue.

16 minutes ago, cyayon said:

There is no light on slave left speaker, but i could hear the relay on this left speaker (OFF then ON).

I contacted KEF, they just told me to contact local service :-(.

I contacted them, and they have never hear of this type of issue. As it appears not very often, i would be very difficult to found the root issue.

Perhaps it is losing it's connection to the primary. Is it connected wirelessly or wired? If wired then perhaps try a new cable?

System

1 minute ago, mourip said:

Actually I was referring to the cable that connects your primary and secondary speakers.

Also you might try doing a factory reset.

I tried to unplug it, and i do not shutdown the speaker, just the sound. 

I think the issue is not related to this cable.

will try a factory reset .

• 1 month later...