IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

Raag Darbari by Ustad Irshad Khan on Surbahar (bass sitar) with Sukhwinder Singh on Jori

This is a raag which is Carnatic in origin but adopted into the Hindustani music tradition.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Cuban legend Ruben Gonzlaez plays "Siboney"

My father used to play this song as well ... great memories.

[video=youtube;0oWhz0G4-Tg]

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Raag Darbari by Ustad Irshad Khan on Surbahar (bass sitar) with Sukhwinder Singh on Jori [...]

Hmm... He is one of Ustad Imrat Khan's sons. Even more interesting, he's based out of Mississauga, Canada which is a subsurb of Toronto. And looks like he's regularly giving recital at University of Toronto. Got to keep an eye out for that. Thanks.

Cool! Did he play piano, too?

Yes very much so. Played a Yamaha electronic keyboard until his very last days.

We used to have an old English piano growing up but sold it eventually.

He had a diverse taste in music - ranging from Hindustani classical to Tango/Bossa Nova.

@YashN

Thanks again for the intro Midnight Diner. What a fantastic series!

I have been trying to find the music for the series online but no luck so far.

This thread on Reddit can help.

Do check out "Terrace House" as well - probably one of the most interesting things is the analysis by the panel of celebrities, including "Yama-chan" who is systematically hilarious at each intervention.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Nikhil that was just amazing. As a former percussionist I have a huge appreciation for that.

@Booster MPS, this might be something you might like.

Available on HDTracks this is a unique performance of Zakir Hussain with his father Ustad Alla Rakah

Tabla Duet [Moment] - Alla Rakha | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

MI0002024151.jpg

@Booster MPS, this might be something you might like.

Available on HDTracks this is a unique performance of Zakir Hussain with his father Ustad Alla Rakah

Tabla Duet [Moment] - Alla Rakha | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

MI0002024151.jpg

Nikhil, thanks for keeping an eye out for that, I will look into it. I have been scouring Mark Guiliana's old tweets for something that he posted a while back to share. Will keep looking....

... BTW what is this fiddle-like instrument called?

That is the Kamaicha - a unique folk instrument played by Managaniyar musicians. This is what I found out when I looked for more info - The body of the instrument is carved from mango tree log and goat skin is pasted on its belly. It consists total 17 strings in which main three strings are prepared from goat's intestine called "Roda" and "Joda". Rest 14 strings are called "Jhara" in which 5 strings of copper and 9 from steel wire is used. The bow is prepared from "Khejari" wood and horse tail hairs.

That is the Kamaicha - a unique folk instrument played by Managaniyar musicians. This is what I found out when I looked for more info - The body of the instrument is carved from mango tree log and goat skin is pasted on its belly. It consists total 17 strings in which main three strings are prepared from goat's intestine called "Roda" and "Joda". Rest 14 strings are called "Jhara" in which 5 strings of copper and 9 from steel wire is used. The bow is prepared from "Khejari" wood and horse tail hairs.

On my first visit to Rajasthan I bought an old, rather tatty, yet still beautiful Sarangi.

I listened to many side of the road musician families, some quite good, and vividly remember listening fascinated to this little girl sing accompanied by her dad(?) and young brother(?) inside Mehrangarh Fort.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

As I said, 'just an ethnic element is enough'..

Just discovered her name on another thread and checking out her albums. A French punk - new wave vocalist and guitarist inspired by African rhythms and harmonies. Is she interesting? Original for sure. Lizzy Mercier Descloux.

Performing.. 'Mission Impossible' (this reminds me a little Talking Heads 'Remain in Light')

And she could dance too :)

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds interesting (and 24bit is quite cheap now)

3149027007429_600.jpg

The Queen of Turquoise | Basel RajoubÂ*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

And BTW I think noone mentioned Rabih Abou Khalil. Albums beautifully issued by Enya.

3149027007429_600.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The members of Altan Urag are classically trained, but produce more modern Mongolian music in general. Mongolian music is one of the few Asian genres which is naturally in a 2 or 4 part rhythm. Mongolia opened up it's country both to commercial mining (including uranium and coal) and foreign investment for the first time in recent history- maybe around 2012. Since then, the prices of mining products have collapsed and the country is... well... not doing well at all.