IGNORED

Clean power should have it's own subforum

I the only thing I was going to try was a twist on the live neutral... Maybe all 3 in my case. I would say as ever polish up the mating contacts...On the external pins and the wire and terminal posts..

1200 grit and a tiny amount of Deoxit if we are going to the extreme. Fuse post ect...

Use the same fuse in the same direction you have...

like new and a more consistent test...

I used a standard 13A bus man not my synergistic black...

For safety with solid core live neutral I will change the earth to multicore for these experiments.... As mentioned by our friend 1 and a half ( Thanks again mate)

Good luck

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I will twist the live & neutral wires. Just did´nt know how to do it on the drawing and forgot to add a comment to the picture. Most likely I will also try withot the floated mesh shielding at some point since I will be using short lenghts of maximum 50cm. I always use Deox-it to treat my plugs, sockets and contact surfaces as well as using Furutech crimping sleeves (recommended) on the final AC cable for increased contact.

Hifi fuses are for sure a good thing for SQ. I use it previously on many other hifi gears. I have actually bought a AHP tuning fuse for my present Pioneer U-05 (DAC/HPA/PRE)...but found out that it was a huge project to just take it apart to reach that standard fuse (nice with screw-less design...but not DIY friendly)....so right now it is just collecting dust in my drawer until I have got enough time for that project! :-/

🎛️  Audio System  

I don't feel that it is a good idea to have a separate earth plug. With a normal 3 wire earth plug you will always have the integral earth wire for protection. However, if the separate earth plug becomes loose or falls out during cleaning etc., you will no longer have the safety earth protection.

Normal 3 core mains leads already have an inbuilt twist, but perhaps not as much as you would like. You could always twist 3 suitably rated insulated wires together yourself, then enclose them in a suitably voltage rated insulating sheath.

Even with a normal mains plug you could still fit an outside, non connected, metallic mesh covered by heatshrink tubing.

You don't always get 2nd chances with a 253V AC (maximum) 50HZ mains supply !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I don't feel that it is a good idea to have a separate earth plug. With a normal 3 wire earth plug you will always have the integral earth wire for protection. However, if the separate earth plug becomes loose or falls out during cleaning etc., you will no longer have the safety earth protection.

Normal 3 core mains leads already have an inbuilt twist, but perhaps not as much as you would like. You could always twist 3 suitably rated insulated wires together yourself. then enclose them in a suitably voltage rated insulating sheath.

Even with a normal mains plug you could still fit an outside, non connected. metallic mesh covered by heatshrink tubing.

You don't always get 2nd chances with a 253V AC (maximum) 50HZ mains supply !

Ofcourse you´ve got a point there Alex! :) Even if I am sure my Supra mains plug have a firm fit and I always unplugg the IEC plug first on my AC mains cables I might consider a right angel Supra mains plug for the safety ground and use a plastic tigthner (zip lock) around it and my power conditioner to ensure it will never accidently be unplugged (by anyone incl my kids) before my separate live & neutral plug.

On a second though I might just run a 70 cm ground wire outside my 50cm Supra LoRad2,5 cable and connect them at both ends. I am still torn between the additional capasitive coupling of a second mains plug and a longer lenght ground wire (higher resistance/impedance?). I am not fully convinced what will be the best chiose....so I guess I´ll have to try them both! :)

Just for notes. For me personally I would prefer no shielding at all if possible.

🎛️  Audio System  

Well, I think you have to choose one or the other, don't you?

(Maybe you could try one of each, and listen for differences. Who knows, you might detect parity violation in electrons!)

What does twisting the wires do, and why leave out the ground wire? Wouldn't a triple helix be better?

Well, I think you have to choose one or the other, don't you?

(Maybe you could try one of each, and listen for differences. Who knows, you might detect parity violation in electrons!)

What does twisting the wires do, and why leave out the ground wire? Wouldn't a triple helix be better?

Right and left, clockwise and anticlockwise= same same...but different name! ;)

The twist will reduce RFI/EMI. If it will be enough to twist the neutral & live wires on a high voltage cable without the use of any shielding I do not know...but intend to find out. I choose to leave out the ground wire to reduce the capasitive coupling along the lenght of the wire. This will just be a fun test to see if there will be any noticable SQ gains by doing so. I found this to be true with USB cables...but would´nt know if it will be the same thing with power cables until I have tried! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Same here EMI RFI .... just a few £s of 2.5mm solid electrical cable.

The fancy cables seem to use twisted stands but a hollow core.....

I wanted to try solid and thick...like me..?

So the Amp rating was higher spec but the same 3A load on my LPS.

Just seeing what works and cheap......

Or someone give me that cable in the link Nordost $1200 to have for free ?.

I will try a double and triple twist if I get the chance.. But may have to substitute the earth with stranded wire for safety... as mentioned above

Thinking about it. I might just as well go all in and do a cable like this with all three wires separated on a distance from each other and no shielding what so ever. More safe for my wife and kids as well!:)

Each stranded wire is 2,5mm in diameter...and if I am correct....a minimum "safe distance" for capasitice coupling is around 4 times the diameter of the wire...which means that all wires must be atleast more than 10mm from each other were possible (ie. not at/in the plugs). I think I will give it some more distance to be on the safe side.

Mains AC cable adjusted.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

look at mapleshades version

Thanks Middy!

Looks very familiar! :D

I would love to have those wooden mains plugs but as EUR mains plugs. If you (or anybody else) know about a maker with wooden IEC or EUR mains plugs (ie. without the cable) please let me know! :) I strongly beleive in natural material like in audio applications.

🎛️  Audio System  

I actually found a Taiwanease company that do IEC and Schuko male plugs in wood, wood/aluminium and wood/carbon: FIRST TECH ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.– Taiwan, Asia, manufacturer of HDMI CABLE.PACKAGING,CABLE,PLUG,JACK,ADAPTOR,CONNECTOR,POST,SPLITTER,TRANSFORMER,SERIES,PARTS,POST,SPEAKER,HEADSET,HEADPHONE

Just have to find out how much they are and were to buy them! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Depends on whether your electrons are spin up or spin down.

Or maybe northern or southern hemisphere.

Doesn't appear that normal rules of electricity apply wherever it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Or maybe northern or southern hemisphere.

Doesn't appear that normal rules of electricity apply wherever it is.

The spin of the electrons should obviously be opposite to the earth, that is down in the northern hemisphere and up in the southern. Otherwise you get torsional distortion.

I actually found a Taiwanease company that do IEC and Schuko male plugs in wood, wood/aluminium and wood/carbon: FIRST TECH ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.– Taiwan, Asia, manufacturer of HDMI CABLE.PACKAGING,CABLE,PLUG,JACK,ADAPTOR,CONNECTOR,POST,SPLITTER,TRANSFORMER,SERIES,PARTS,POST,SPEAKER,HEADSET,HEADPHONE

Just have to find out how much they are and were to buy them! :)

Definitely looks nice.

I keep seeing so many different designs like cables filled with shot ..individually shielded.......

Anyone here with the more esoteric power leads and what thier main design points are?

Or will it get more spin puns ... mainly from advertising material...

Never thought of a separate plug for the earth.....

Not necessary.

Solid core is awesome.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I don't feel that it is a good idea to have a separate earth plug. With a normal 3 wire earth plug you will always have the integral earth wire for protection. However, if the separate earth plug becomes loose or falls out during cleaning etc., you will no longer have the safety earth protection.!

Very good point. Safety first.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Anyone here with the more esoteric power leads and what thier main design points are?

Read up on Caelin Gabriel's Shunyata designs.

Thanks YashN.... I did watch a few videos and they are a good watch with no hint of snake oil just good design.... I do wonder what filter is used in the cables...If only I could afford the power cleaners they do...never mind the cables....

Love the fact here they keep you real and safe while I run around all excited trying things.....

Next test if I get a chance with the wife having a small op.... Bird Cage the wires out and replace the earth with stranded wire.....

I can only afford cheap experiments. This is just cheap wire from a diy store but solid single wire isn't doing to bad in the sound stakes.....

Keep advice tips coming please and thanks as always...

Dave

Use a twist (and other popular wires) to reduce EMI/RFI | EE Times

This simple 2 page article explains how the wire twist is working for you and how basic filtering works.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thanks YashN.... I did watch a few videos and they are a good watch with no hint of snake oil just good design.... I do wonder what filter is used in the cables...If only I could afford the power cleaners they do...never mind the cables....

Love the fact here they keep you real and safe while I run around all excited trying things.....

Next test if I get a chance with the wife having a small op.... Bird Cage the wires out and replace the earth with stranded wire.....

I can only afford cheap experiments. This is just cheap wire from a diy store but solid single wire isn't doing to bad in the sound stakes.....

Keep advice tips coming please and thanks as always...

Us DIYers are probably a minority here on the forum. Some other cool places to check: diyaudio, diyaudioprojects and audioasylum, and lots of info for AC Filter design over at audiocircle.