IGNORED

Clean power should have it's own subforum

Here is my finalized test cable! :) The tubing of the Supra ground wire is a bit special (couples with the shield) so I had to cover it with electrical tape to minimize interfearences. Not pretty... but the sound is pretty though! :) First impression is very good with a more natural flow and clearer notes in comparison with my Audioquest NRG2 cable. Definately something I will persue with a properly done cable. I will go right ahead and order better parts and make it a final cable! :)

1476985158058.jpg

This is the competitor that will be collecting dust from now on:

1476985271214.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

1476985148812.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

Lovely my friend....nice...

With that configuration you could try a tri twist to see the effect. We need to start giving a marking system how we judge the changes..... From my Lapp cable off a real to just common power cable.... As a base line of 0 This gets a +2 ...

My version will try 2 solid and a multi core earth....... Spaced out...

I saw they have hollow pins on the Mapleshade connector but I wonder what the purpose and material of the loose plastic is on the wires are?

Keep up the good work

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Lovely my friend....nice...

With that configuration you could try a tri twist to see the effect. We need to start giving a marking system how we judge the changes..... From my Lapp cable off a real to just common power cable.... As a base line of 0 This gets a +2 ...

My version will try 2 solid and a multi core earth....... Spaced out...

I saw they have hollow pins on the Mapleshade connector but I wonder what the purpose and material of the loose plastic is on the wires are?

Keep up the good work

Dave

Thanks Middy!

Hollow connectors should mean less resistance & higher impedance...so that would be a very interesting plug to use...atleast for my cable were the whole point is less capasitive coupling (=less resistance & higher impedance) and a cleaner ground connection. I know Entreq is using similar ideas on their IC's but actually not on their AC cables were they use Furutech plugs.

Do let me know if you find any Schuko plugs with hollow pins! :)

Difficult to give rates on DIY projects. I can only say that my test cable beats Supra Lorad 2,5 MKII and Audioquest NRG-2 hands down which is quite good cables in my point of view. I would'nt know how they hold up against much better cables...which I have'nt heard in my own system and will not buy or cannot afford anyway! ;) My AC cable holds true to my vision of how it should be/should sound and the SQ is just great...and that means everything to me! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

I almost refused to believe any change could be made with a couple of feet of cable especially power cable.....

As long as it makes an improvement especially cheap or free....

Every day is a school day...... learn learn learn

I went in that DIY test expecting no changes as well - big surprise.

Then I went into an even more controversial one at the time: a DIY USB cable ("digital, should make no difference") - here again flabbergasted.

It's the best time ever in Human History as we know it to learn new things: meta-brain + Web.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Indeed.

Solar panel manufacturing have the same problems:

Solar Energy Isn’t Always as Green as You Think - IEEE Spectrum

[/OT]

Did you read the article? So it might take a solar cell 4 years to make up for CO2 used in producing it. That if it is installed where electricity produces less CO2 than somewhere like China. Okay, so the next 20 or so years thereafter you are coming out ahead. One day solar power can be used to produce new cells and that will look even better. The other items like protecting workers from chemicals is an issue with virtually all industries. Nothing special about solar in that regard.

So as a negative about solar cell production, use and green-ness color me rather unbothered. One way or another eventually future electricity will be solar or nuclear for many reasons.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I almost refused to believe any change could be made with a couple of feet of cable especially power cable.....

As long as it makes an improvement especially cheap or free....

Every day is a school day...... learn learn learn

To me personally it all makes sense thinking about the capasitive coupling as the root of all evil for good SQ. To remove everything that adds capasitive coupling were possible will grant you a better sound. Same "law" applies to electronics. IMO all cables should be an Autobahn for signals & power and not limited by impedance or resistance, ie. make them short and make them clean and quick! :)

Opposite to many other on this forum I personally refuse to believe that impedance matching does anything good for the sound. It only limit the cables IMHO. However, using for example unshielded wires needs attension to distance between ALL wires in the system.

Best method to shield something from a distrubing source is to move it away from the disturbence. Were this is not practicly possible it is best to ground the shield to a separate and clean grounding point...or as last option to send it straight to the safety ground (which could/would end up in your system through the backway).

Anyway, next up will be to make a good DC cable with separated positive and negative wires! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Stripped off the able cover and changed over the solid earth....

It's not moving anywhere but as mentioned not legal with solid wire but the Earth is multi core.

Please tell me it's in my head. ... I can believe that... It now looks like a chef's whisk and a cheap mapleshade cable.... But there is a change.....

[ATTACH]30031[/ATTACH]

Yes. It will pick up , AND radiate more RF/EMI into nearby interconnects etc. !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

It's not moving anywhere but as mentioned not legal with solid wire but the Earth is multi core.

Please tell me it's in my head. ... I can believe that... It now looks like a chef's whisk and a cheap mapleshade cable.... But there is a change.....

[ATTACH]30031[/ATTACH]

Nice Middy! :)

However, I think you forgot one of the "rules" though. Keep the unshielded wires short. It needs to be <50cm to limit RFI/EMI. Also make sure it is on a safe distance from other cables by atleast >4 times the diameter of the thickest cable.

🎛️  Audio System  

[ATTACH]30031[/ATTACH]

It is very easy to try Alex...so I suggest you try one...and judge later! ;) Remember to keep the cables short and on a safe distance from other cables and power sources!

Yes. It will pick up , AND radiate more RF/EMI into nearby interconnects etc. !

🎛️  Audio System  

Nice Middy! :)

However, I think you forgot one of the "rules" though. Keep the unshielded wires short. It needs to be <50cm to limit RFI/EMI. Also make sure it is on a safe distance from other cables by atleast >4 times the diameter of the thickest cable.

If you only need a mains cable <50CM long, you would be better off chopping a normal 3 core mains cable to that length, and fitting another IEC female plug. As my DAC is quite close to the filtered powerboard in the cabinet I have done that.

Also consider cables like the attached wherever possible.

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p8417-powertran-0.5m-iec-c13-10a-3-pin-black-appliance-mains-lead/

P.S.

If the device being powered via that cable (above) is powered by an SMPS you may find that it will act like an antenna and radiate RF/EMI !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The cable was just cut the same length as my Lapp shielded cable..Now its in my bedroom both these cables are too long by far....But wanted some parity in comparison.....

It will get chopped back but that is as much practicality as experimental......

I still have the "it's wire from the power station" mentality..... So changes to sound still baffles me..... The Mapleshade style will be the next try using the same 2.5mm solid cable..

I do try with an open mind and no expectation....... I am just a cheap B*stard. .... trying things....

Thanks for the advice both...?

Actually, after pulling my new cable in and out a couple of times comparing it to my Audioquest NRG-2 it is a bit edgy...so I will likely try to twist the Neutral & Live to see if it improves. It still performance better with transparency and natural flow...but is a bit lighter and harscher overall. Further test needs to be done before making it a final cable I guess... :)

🎛️  Audio System  

so I will likely try to twist the Neutral & Live to see if it improves.

Probably the first thing that should have been done.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I still have the "it's wire from the power station" mentality..... So changes to sound still baffles me...

Think about how your tap regulates water pressure despite huge pipes distributing it to and in cities.

It's nearer your gear where you have control over it and it matters too: Interference can get it near the gear.

Best method to shield something from a distrubing source is to move it away from the disturbence.

Can't really move away from disturbances which are all around you...

Divorce is a start but more expensive than this hobby...

Heheheeee!!! :D

Well, twisting the Live & Neutral (but still GND on a distance) did make a big difference. Much better overall. Improved 3D sense to it all and easier to follow background details. Nothing lost from previous gains which I can hear so far...but will give this a couple of days before I switch back to my Audioquest NRG2 again for another comparison.

🎛️  Audio System  

Can't really move away from disturbances which are all around you...

That's why I suggested other options as well in the same post! ;) Shielding connected to ground sucks the life out of the music IMO (makes it dull)...but it can be improved if it is connected to external ground. YMMV ofcourse!

🎛️  Audio System  

looking at the Mapleshade cables. ..

I just noticed thier twists are doubles...

Hot neutral is next for me..

but it looks like they have 2 live neutral twists and 2-4 single earth's. ...It could be 1 live 2 wires twisted and 1 neutral 2 wires twisted but the wire colours are mixed so hard to tell without looking inside......

So many designs......Can't wait to try a twist cable.....

Cheers

Dave

looking at the Mapleshade cables. ..

I just noticed thier twists are doubles...

Hot neutral is next for me..

but it looks like they have 2 live neutral twists and 2-4 single earth's. ...It could be 1 live 2 wires twisted and 1 neutral 2 wires twisted but the wire colours are mixed so hard to tell without looking inside......

So many designs......Can't wait to try a twist cable.....

Cheers

Dave

It is a bit difficult to understand Mapleshades AC cable.

Looking at this picture...

powerstrip_revised.jpg

...it looks like you´ve said that the neutral and live are twisted separately....and not together. It also looks like there is a separate ground wire and a separate neutral ground/drain wire...but I cannot tell how they are connected in the IEC plug on any other pictures. Neutral is actually connected to ground in the AC mains network so there could be a clue there. I´ll surely need to look for more clues to understand their concept to the full...but it looks like a very intresting approach that I also would like to try out...as soon as I understand it! :)

Edit: Reading on their website they describe it rather as two "outrigger" ground wires (ie. both connected to ground)...and most likely their twisted cables are live+neutral twisted x 2. A pity they do not have these cables with schuko plugs. I would´nt mind buying them since they are not that expensive when checking how much a DIY version with good quality plugs and wires would add-up to.

🎛️  Audio System