IGNORED

Clean power should have it's own subforum

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30196[/ATTACH]

This flexible cord is unsafe because one conductor is not in the protective sheath.

Well, I never bought the Mapleshades (but find it a very interesting cable and I would be extremely surpriced If it did'nt meet the US regulations).

My own Supra experimental AC cable (only made in the purpose to find the best type of cable for my own system) will be replaced by this cable, which is 100% made by proffesionals:

1477595071392.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30197[/ATTACH]

This adapter cord is dangerous because it has two male plugs. It could be plugged into two receptacles with one of the receptacles wired differently than the other.

Thanks! Yes, Alex @sandyk enlighten me about this matter previously on this thread. It was just an idea to have a cleaner safety ground connection..but way too unsafe to be realized.

🎛️  Audio System  

There is no way in the world that any Safety Agency (UL, ETL, CSA) would approve that flexible cord.

Nor would any safety inspector allow it to be used. That cord is an accident looking for a place to happen.

For starters, it is probably the least flexible power cord I have encountered. While not evident from the photo, the inner wires have their own insulation.

I can't vouch for the regulatory status of these cords as I'm not at home to take a closer look. That is something anyone who's interested would have to ask Pierre.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Few of us know what the UL (or other agency) rules are, I for one don't. The rules are not visible to the general public. You have to purchase each rule for from $500 to $1000. And a product may involve more than one rule.

Speedskater

Thanks for reinforcing the safety aspect.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Few of us know what the UL (or other agency) rules are, I for one don't. The rules are not visible to the general public. You have to purchase each rule for from $500 to $1000. And a product may involve more than one rule.

I think they are all covered in this rule 817.

http://www.dxdlw.com/bbsupfile/2011%5C11%5C22%5C2011214904%5Cs0817_11.pdf

180 page PDF, but the cords like in this thread are covered starting around page 66. This is the rule in 2001. The latest update was in 2014.

You also have NEMA standards for the plugs and how they are wired.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I think they are all covered in this rule 817.

http://www.dxdlw.com/bbsupfile/2011%5C11%5C22%5C2011214904%5Cs0817_11.pdf

180 page PDF, but the cords like in this thread are covered starting around page 66. This is the rule in 2001. The latest update was in 2014.

You also have NEMA standards for the plugs and how they are wired.

None of this applies to either Middy or Cornan who reside in 230V AC (nominal) 50HZ countries, where the regulations will almost certainly be more strict due to the higher and far more dangerous voltages involved .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

None of this applies to either Middy or Cornan who reside in 230V AC (nominal) 50HZ countries, where the regulations will almost certainly be more strict due to the higher and far more dangerous voltages involved .

Okay, didn't realize both were in 230 vac countries. Rule 817 specs insulation to 600 volts though. So might work safely either way. Certainly USA NEMA plugs will differ.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

FIY Supra's cables and plugs used for my experimental cable are all CE approved for home as well as medical use in EU. Also approved in US as far as I understood. Each wire (for example my outside safety ground wire) is using a 2-layer PVC sleeving.

🎛️  Audio System  

FIY Supra's cables and plugs used for my experimental cable are all CE approved for home as well as medical use in EU. Also approved in US as far as I understood. Each wire (for example my outside safety ground wire) is using a 2-layer PVC sleeving.

My reply was only in reference to the specifications posted by Dennis, which do not apply outside of the U.S.A.

I doubt that the earth outside of the cable is permissible either, in the EU, Australia, New Zealand etc.

I posted this elsewere but since the origin was from this thread I thought I let you know the results as well:

I have recently changed my only AC cable to an unshielded (2x Quad braided) one with Furutech plugs. Removed my power filter strip I normally use and tried it in one of my star grounded sockets on my cheap Naim Music Line power strip (which have 2 star grounded sockets) I had stored away for some time. I suspected a change for the better due to the overall changes I have made...but was still surpriced that it made THAT of a difference in my system.

🎛️  Audio System