IGNORED

Clean power should have it's own subforum

with at least half a dozen threads on the front page of the general forum and most likely countless more, it seems a reasonable statement to say that there's enough conversation around this topic to merit it.

caveats; imo/ymmv/wtfbbqlol and so on

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

Agreed, and could include power supplies DC. There needs to be a limit though on construction techniques involving DIY AC power schemes, being an international forum many different safety rules and regulations apply.

For sure ! Playing around with changing A.C. mains wall receptacles in 50HZ 230 VAC (nominal) countries is outright dangerous, and can be lethal to either yourself or other family members .Even changing a light switch can be dangerous if you aren't careful.

Even in the USA and other countries with similar lower voltage mains supplies, this practice MAY still result in fatalities under certain circumstances.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Even in the USA and other countries with similar lower voltage mains supplies, this practice MAY still result in fatalities under certain circumstances.

Circumstances like leaving the circuit breaker open.

Remember, V = IR, and current is what kills.

Circumstances like leaving the circuit breaker open.

Remember, V = IR, and current is what kills.

Going by what I see happening in U.S. politics at present, there are millions of stupid people worldwide, some of whom are likely to open the wrong circuit breaker !

It only takes 50mA to kill a human being, and the U.S. mains system is certainly able to provide that through a sweaty body..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

I turn the power off, verify the power is off (such as with a light on the circuit), measure wires with a volt-meter, wear rubber-soled shoes, and treat all wires as if they were hot, just in case. I still worry that someday I am going to get it wrong.

I turn the power off, verify the power is off (such as with a light on the circuit), measure wires with a volt-meter, wear rubber-soled shoes, and treat all wires as if they were hot, just in case. I still worry that someday I am going to get it wrong.

I too turn the entire power off for even the simplest jobs and will hire an electrician for anything complex. A good electrician is worth the money you pay them.

Nah, it's just electricity. DIY playground! Calling an electrician is an admission of defeat.

Wisdom prevails when you can admit that some things are over your head. Complex plumbing, and complex wiring are a couple that come to mind. Paying a pro who does it daily, is better than me trying to muddle through it. I don't like tall ladders either! :)

I have solar PV too.....one more thing to shut off.....

I've had mine for about six years. Pretty trouble free thus far. Sunpower system. It covers about 90 percent of the bill over the course of 12 months. System makes about 10Kw over the course of a year. With costs going up, I should start to break even in about three - four more years.

Hopefully its under warranty.....

we have similar sized systems based on panels. My Sunpower is 32 panels @185w per (6Kw). I never get that though. About 5.5kw max. Lose the late late afternoon sun from the two story to the west of my abode.

My full warranty is ten years, so I plan on getting my installer to check it close in year nine.

I do the same, knowing just how dangerous AC mains can be after being thrown against a wardrobe many years ago !

Everyone should install a RCD for the whole house/appartment. I would'nt live without it and it have saved my life ones when a drilled a hole through a mains cable inside a concrete wall.

1471583766237.jpg

Since that happend I always use one of these to check the walls before I drill. :-)

http://www.suomela.fi/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/bosch-rakenne-475.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

Going by what I see happening in U.S. politics at present, there are millions of stupid people worldwide, some of whom are likely to open the wrong circuit breaker !

It only takes 50mA to kill a human being, and the U.S. mains system is certainly able to provide that through a sweaty body..

The 50 mA figure is for alternating current passing the chest region where it can disrupt the heartbeat. If confined to an arm or a leg, it takes much higher currents to be dangerous, the damage being in the form of burns.

Yes, and make them pay for it.

Wait, what did the Mexicans do to deserve being dragged into an audiophile discussion?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.