IGNORED

Was Journey, Foreigner, etc Bad?

I think it is not quite as simple as saying the music must be original. That would pretty much leave out a lot of classical music, and of course, things like reworking classical music themes or melodies has always been a near guaranteed ride to a pop hit. ;)

I have an interest in classification schemas and have always enjoyed looking at the history of music with respect to both combining styles as well as diverging styles. Composers/groups/artists that have unique sound, while not necessarily entirely original, usually have an original combination of older styles, or a specific divergence from an older style.

You could look at Led Zeppelin, for example, while derived from Electric Blues,

https://ledzeppelinproject.wordpress.com/musical-influence/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin#Musical_style

blend English Folk and then derive psychedelic influences. If we take Led Zeppelin along with Black Sabbath, there are the roots of a huge swath of the "hard rock" and "heavy metal" that followed.

Umm- I would say that the Beatles pretty much perfected pop for their time, but they didn't invent it. (grin) Come to think of it, I think that is at least partially true for all the artists you listed up there. And for any modern artist I can think of.

In a similar fashion the Beatles' unique sound is derived from Rock N' Roll but then goes on to form its own unique (at the time) style of pop, (Paul) as well as psychedelic (John) ... well that's way too simplistic but that is the general idea.

In any case I'd say that both are really original as well as tremendously commercially successful.

Likewise with classical there are subgenres that distinguish e.g. Mozart from e.g. Dvorak from e.g. Shostakovich.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Yesterday on the interweb, I happened upon a live video of Foreigner from a 1985 concert, and was absolutely floored by their phenomenal performance. When it ended, my first thought was "they don't make them like that anymore" (these days, "vocalists" lip-sync on stage and use pitch correction in the studio. Lou Gramm? Not so much.). My second thought was an old memory of being lifted up by my underwear because I liked Foreigner.

Arena Rock, Commercial Rock, Boardroom Rock, The Carpenters, whatever you call it; I have two, no, three questions for those of you who openly or mentally ridiculed guys like me for buying Foreigner "Four", Journey "Escape", or Kansas "Leftoverture":

1. What was it about these bands you found distasteful?

2. Do you still believe the ridicule was warranted or fair?

3. Do you now like any music you ridiculed in your youth?

Gary great thread. I caught hell in high school for buying Gladys Knight and the Pips, Aretha Franklin, Carpenters etc...the list of albums that caused me ridicule with my peers was endless... :-) Although most of my listening was more hard rock. I would argue that Karen Carpenter had perhaps the greatest female voice in the history of pop music. I grew up in Downey CA which is where they lived. One of my buddy's brother did automobile painting and restoration for Richard Carpenter who was a huge car guy. One of Downey's few claims to fame, well also the Apollo Command Modules.

I frankly liked all the bands you and others have mentioned. I might include Golden Earring, The Clash, The English Beat, Modern English (who may have done one of the top 80's pop songs in my opinion "Melt With You" on the After the Snow album), REM and others.

The only song I can think of that I really really really cannot stand is Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal Band. I want to cut my ears off like Madsen did to the cop in Reservoir Dogs.........

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

I frankly liked all the bands you and others have mentioned. I might include Golden Earring, The Clash, The English Beat, Modern English (who may have done one of the top 80's pop songs in my opinion "Melt With You" on the After the Snow album), REM and others.

The only song I can think of that I really really really cannot stand is Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal Band. I want to cut my ears off like Madsen did to the cop in Reservoir Dogs.........

He,he. Brilliant! Quintessential cheese. My response is more like:

Cool?

I dug it. Quintessential B-52's.

Of course it is impossible to compare it with something like the Minutemen's "Corona" video ("Corona" was the theme song for Jackass), complete with T.Boon's trade-mark dance moves. Very different music and dance styles but both prime examples of the idiot sublime, inspiring dancing fools everywhere.

more early '80s dancing:

Quintessential B-52's.

It is somehow funny that I started listening to B-52's the same time when learning about AC/DC, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Joy Division and The Clash. Got UFO Live from my aunt for the 16th birthday shortly after. Still not ashamed about this ancient mix

;-) Tom

Ha.ha,

this is so funny to see CONSOLIDATED at this forum.

It is my worst ever experience in talking with a likeminded left wing artist.

I had already over 15 years experiences in social movements when doing an interview for a free radio project in Hamburg due to the publishing of Consolidated new album "Play more music" in 1992. Meeting Adam Sherburne in a shady pup in the red light district of St. Pauli was getting a straight lesson taught about the superior knowledge of American activism in subjects like feminism, gender politics, homophobia, vegetarianism and everything else from the agenda of early-90s left wing debate. I may have had serious disadvantages within the American language setting then. Did not help to feel better.

Nonetheless, I have never felt less stupid and useless when talking to other people with a likeminded mindset. I was very much wondering why he had so much knowledge and so less empathy.

Could have been a leftist counterpart to Priaptor, when discussing politics here. (IMHO not valid for most of the other subjects).

On the other hand, talking with the likes of Chumbawamba or Alice Donut had been a lot more fun. Or concerts of DHOH.

;-) Tom

<br>

and

<br>

• 10 months later...

Just discovered this thread ... straight up, all those classic albums from back then are brilliant to listen to - I note Paul's Moody Blues, Days of Future Passed here - in the earliest days of digital this was played so much, I know it backwards - fabulous stuff!

Later I discovered this - tremendous piece of music, to be played at 11; should blow the house down  ...

Coincidence and irony. The first time I visit CA in a very long time happens to be mere hours after someone resurrect this thread. I haven't been here in a long time because I've been playing on stage again, and with a classic rock cover band. Journey, Styx, Toto, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Chicago, Boz Scaggs, Eagles, Robert Palmer, CCR, Van Morrison, Beatles, KC & the Sunshine Band, Queen, Santana, Kenny Loggins, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special, John Cougar, The Cars, Doobie Brothers, Bon Jovi, Wild Cherry, Steve Miller, Billy Idol, Earth, Wind & Fire, ZZ Top, Bryan Adams, Eddie Money, Hall & Oats, etc. Sounds like a Ronco record in the making. Nobody has attempted lifting anyone up by the underwear so far, though after hearing some of these songs I haven't quite decided if that's a step forward or not.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair