IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

29 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

512MB (1 passed with a freshly formatted volume - had no choice as the drive was encrypted)

The term “freshly formatted” unqualified can mean different things to different people and depending on the context. FWIW this is why I tend to use terms “drive preparation” and such in this context since a properly prepared drive is critical for success and that often requires more than simple “formatting”. 

So, when you say “freshly formatted”, what are you referring to in more precise terms?  Also, did you employ a consistent drive preparation — or  “formatting” if you will — procedure including a check to ensure the resulting low level layout is as intended on every drive you used in your test?  Were there differences in the low level characteristics, e.g. partition schemes, partition layout etc. between those that worked and those that did not?  Are you using a GPT scheme, an MBR scheme or a mix of each?

The reason I’m asking these questions is because as it stands with the information you’ve provided, there’s nothing to suggest that “all drives were properly prepared for the target player and yet some would not work” as opposed to “out of several drives containing an AutoScript folder, some worked and some did not”.

In other words, until an ACME brand drive is believed with a high level of confidence  to have been properly prepared for this application for the specific player model and yet would not work, it is premature to conclude that ACME brand drives are incompatible with the SACD ripping process. 

41 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

The term “freshly formatted” unqualified can mean different things to different people and depending on the context. FWIW this is why I tend to use terms “drive preparation” and such in this context since a properly prepared drive is critical for success and that often requires more than simple “formatting”. 

So, when you say “freshly formatted”, what are you referring to in more precise terms?  Also, did you employ a consistent drive preparation — or  “formatting” if you will — procedure including a check to ensure the resulting low level layout is as intended on every drive you used in your test?  Were there differences in the low level characteristics, e.g. partition schemes, partition layout etc. between those that worked and those that did not?  Are you using a GPT scheme, an MBR scheme or a mix of each?

The reason I’m asking these questions is because as it stands with the information you’ve provided, there’s nothing to suggest that “all drives were properly prepared for the target player and yet some would not work” as opposed to “out of several drives containing an AutoScript folder, some worked and some did not”.

In other words, until an ACME brand drive is believed with a high level of confidence  to have been properly prepared for this application for the specific player model and yet would not work, it is premature to conclude that ACME brand drives are incompatible with the SACD ripping process. 

Both drives I formatted are using MBR and I used the Windows 10 GUI with the "quick format" option disabled. Beyond that I did not perform a deep-dive analysis at the bit or byte level of either drive. That said, since there is only 1 partition / volume on each drive, and since both drives were readable by the player at boot - as evidenced by the player's opening the drawer after receiving instructions from the drive, it make sense to me that the issue is not at the partition level. 

- Off-topic mode on

@hyendaudio:

Ahh, Dynaudio Confidence 5? Great Speaker!

- Off-topic mode off

😉

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

6 hours ago, Synfreak said:

- Off-topic mode on

@hyendaudio:

Ahh, Dynaudio Confidence 5? Great Speaker!

- Off-topic mode off

😉

-off topic response -

Thank you. I got them new in '99 in a trade and never looked back. They look great in rosewood and sound even better, paired with a VAC Phi 200.

- off topic mode off -

47 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Great!

@MikeyFresh Perhaps it is time to add the S790 to your master list of ripping players, since I think at least two people have successfully ripped with it now. 

Will do, I will asterisk both the the BDP-790 and BDP-S6200 as needing the specific/Sony-unique sacd_extract_6200 version of the AutoScript.

1 hour ago, Nexus3 said:

MikeyFresh, for his simple steps, constant positive attitude AND THE HINT to have this damn Quick Start option turned ON!

Thank you @Nexus3, and while I did publish the specific steps and help others to utilize the sleep method, the discovery and suggestion of how to do it were all @mindset, I only tested and confirmed using a few different Sony Blu-ray models and firmware versions, and posted a video which some members found helpful.

Related to the above, @mindset stated in his testing (but it's certainly worth repeating here) that the exact steps do differ slightly with the S6200. Specifically, the USB thumb drive containing the AutoScript can only be inserted AFTER the S6200 has been put to sleep, it will not work like the other Sonys (including apparently the S790 as detailed by @Nexus3 above) where the AutoScript can only run PRIOR to putting the unit to sleep.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

18 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

@mindset stated in his testing ... that the exact steps do differ slightly with the S6200. Specifically, the USB thumb drive containing the AutoScript can only be inserted AFTER the S6200 has been put to sleep, it will not work like the other Sonys ... where the AutoScript can only run PRIOR to putting the unit to sleep.

Today, I have tried this on the following disc:

SACDExtractGUI v0.1-5-g97d05f95
https://github.com/setmind/SACDExtractGUI.git

Use of this program that results in any form of copyright infringement is strictly prohibited.

[RUNNING][sacd_extract.exe, -i, 192.168.x.x:2002, -I, -C, -P, -o, E:\DSD\ISOs]

Disc Information:

Version:  1.01
    Creation date: 2001-04-20
    Catalog Number: CD-60433-SA     
    Locale: en
    Title: The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith
    Artist: Jerry Goldsmith
    Publisher: Telarc
    Copyright: Telarc

Album Information:

Catalog Number: CD-60433-SA     
    Sequence Number: 1
    Set Size: 1
    Locale: en
    Title: The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith
    Artist: Jerry Goldsmith
    Publisher: Telarc
    Copyright: Telarc

Area count: 2
    Area Information [0]:

Area Description Phonetic: The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith
    Track Count: 10
    Speaker config: 2 Channel
    Track list [0]:
        Title[0]: Star Trek: The Motion Picture
        Performer[0]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[0]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[1]: Motion Picture Medley
        Performer[1]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[1]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[2]: Theme From The Russia House
        Performer[2]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[2]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[3]: The Boys From Brazil
        Performer[3]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[3]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[4]: Theme From Sleeping With The Enemy
        Performer[4]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[4]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[5]: Medley Of Television Themes
        Performer[5]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[5]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[6]: Theme From Rudy
        Performer[6]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[6]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[7]: Twilight Zone - The Motion Picture
        Performer[7]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[7]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[8]: The Love Theme From Forever Young
        Performer[8]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[8]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[9]: The Generals
        Performer[9]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[9]: Jerry Goldsmith
    Area Information [1]:

Area Description Phonetic: The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith
    Track Count: 10
    Speaker config: 5 Channel
    Track list [1]:
        Title[0]: Star Trek: The Motion Picture
        Performer[0]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[0]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[1]: Motion Picture Medley
        Performer[1]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[1]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[2]: Theme From The Russia House
        Performer[2]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[2]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[3]: The Boys From Brazil
        Performer[3]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[3]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[4]: Theme From Sleeping With The Enemy
        Performer[4]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[4]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[5]: Medley Of Television Themes
        Performer[5]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[5]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[6]: Theme From Rudy
        Performer[6]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[6]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[7]: Twilight Zone - The Motion Picture
        Performer[7]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[7]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[8]: The Love Theme From Forever Young
        Performer[8]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[8]: Jerry Goldsmith
        Title[9]: The Generals
        Performer[9]: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
        Composer[9]: Jerry Goldsmith
Exporting CUE sheet [E:\DSD\ISOs\Jerry Goldsmith - The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith.cue]

Processing [E:\DSD\ISOs\Jerry Goldsmith - The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith.iso] (1/1)..
Completed: 100% (3989,5MB), Total: 100% (3989,5MB) at 2,80MB/sec

We are done..                                                          

[DONE]

Inserting the USB memory stick AFTER sleep (lights off) or shortly after power down / tray closure. 

I can surely say that this DOES NOT work on the S790 model,

so there normal approach (USB first, disc second and power off last) is the way to go.

Maybe the correct order depends on the script files used.

@mindset Can you shed some light on the script files you have used on your S6200?

24 minutes ago, Nexus3 said:

Maybe the correct order depends on the script files used.

@mindset Can you shed some light on the script files you have used on your S6200?

Yes and I'd also assume the part of the script that opens the tray automatically must be removed from the script used with the S6200, otherwise USB insertion after the unit sleeps would immediately wake it for a disc tray opening, no?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Dear all,

Topic: Ripping SACDs with the Sony BDP-S590.

I am new to this thread. I recently acquired a S590 as its been added to your compatibility list. The machine came with what was probably one of the last firmware update: M12 R.0510. Following instructions found here, I successfully downgraded it to firmware M12 R.0430 as it is supposed to be the last version supporting SACD-R playback. I prepared a usb stick and copied  the "AutoScript" folder on it. I also installed on my Windows 10 PC the Sonore Iso2Dsd_gui in a directory that also contains the sacd_extract application.

After powering on the S590 with the usb stick plugged, the tray of the blu-ray reader opens. I insert a SACD to rip and close it. But I always fail to successfully connect to the device via the iso2dsd software. I always get the following message:

Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.148:2002 for reading 

I tried to connect to the S590 (which is connected to my local network via a wifi extender, should it be necessarily hard wired to the router?) in opening a Telnet session using PuTTY as also recommended somewhere in this thread. I get the following error message: "Network error: Connection refused".

As I am not an expert in network management, I suspect that something prevents me to connect to the S590 on the network (firewall of something else)

Maybe someone, more experienced than I am, can suggest a way to connect to the Sony Blu-Ray reader on the local network. There are probably other key things I do overlook...

Reading this thread, I kind of understood that using PuTTY one can open a Telnet session (in Linux?) and conduct a few tests or obtain some more information on the chipset version of the machine, etc. In doing so, at least, there is communication with the device. I would like to find a way to at least access it and eventually see if I can successfully rip a SACD as it seems so easy for others.

On a different topic, I also own a OPPO BDP-095 Blu-Ray player. I guess that this machine is not considered "compatible" with this ripping process.

Thanks in advance for any clue one can provide. Regards.

1 hour ago, BACHJS said:

I would like to find a way to at least access it and eventually see if I can successfully rip a SACD as it seems so easy for others

1 hour ago, BACHJS said:

I get the following error message: "Network error: Connection refused".

If you try to connect with PuTTY but get the response "connection refused", a Telnet connection was made but the Sony player cannot be controlled by the scripts. If you get the response "cannot connect to [IP address]" this means your computer has not made a connection to the Sony. There may be a network problem to resolve.

I suspect that the USB stick you are using has problems.  We have been seeing this lately where some response to the scripts is shown (like the door opening) but other functions do not work (like telnet connection).

I will PM you my guide, which has more info on telnet to the Sony.  Check the content of the scripts you have against what is in the guide.  Then try a different USB stick.

4 hours ago, BACHJS said:

I also installed on my Windows 10 PC the Sonore Iso2Dsd_gui in a directory that also contains the sacd_extract application.

Is it only those two items in the directory?

If you want to try the server method again, you need the entire folder contents downloaded from Sonore to stay intact, there should be 4 items:

InkedISO2DSD-Win_LI.jpg.5656e11d459c1bf51f4d16dd17e1128a.jpg

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Thank you MikeyFresh for your question and suggestion. You are right. My folder contains all the proper files you listed in your post.

Phthalocyanine kindly sent me his excellent guide to rip SACD on a Sony S590. I will try to follow all his steps and process. Hopefully, it will work. I may try again the server method using the Sonore tools. I will report back on my attempts and success or failure.

Thanks.

B.

Hello @BACHJS welcome aboard!

Should you choose to tryout SACDExtractGUI, I would recommend the following two tests buttons:

1. PING - if this fails you have got a network issue - check your player's LAN or WiFi configuration.

2. TEST - if ping is OK, but TEST fails the counterpiece software ought to be loaded from the USB flash drive onto your Blu-ray player is NOT "playing along" - check if the USB contents are fine, followed the designated ripping steps and in case of a SONY if the Quick Startup option is ENABLED.

sacdextract_gui-test.png.185e0f43de0a54b95e2357fa04edbacd.png

Good luck and happy ripping!

On 2/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, Nexus3 said:

This is the only thing I have in AutoScript (I do not even have AutoScript.TSS).

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sd*/sacd_extract_6200 /3rd_data)
CLI(CLI_exec /3rd_data/sacd_extract_6200 -S &)

The following is a working sequence.  Inserting the USB stick before putting the player in sleep doesn't work.  (debugging via telnet shows sacd_extract_6200 won't even start)

• Insert the power plug
  • Open the tray & insert a disc
  • Press the power button to put the player in sleep (with the quick start mode enabled)
  • Insert the USB stick
  • Run sacd_extract from a PC

# Nexus3

...and others ofcause…..

I have a Sony BDP-S790 but no Linus computer and do not understand much of code command. Can you refer me to a place where I can download the ready made files (special treatment for the BDP-S790 / sacd_extract_6200) - for the USB-stick so I can just copy them to a USB-stick ? - and get on with the rip process. 

PS: What firmware version is ideal for ripping on BDP-S790 ? Can you update firmware backwards or forward as you please or can I risk that the firmware version on my player will never make it a SACD ripper ?

Thanks

8 hours ago, mindset said:

The following is a working sequence.

Is this the only working way to do it - or the rephrase it, is the conventional script failing on the S6200?

I am just trying to make sure that we are not riding two different trains heading for the same destination.

50 minutes ago, nUUK25 said:

where I can download the ready made files

Hello @nUUK25, the release of the binary is imminent!  

We just want to make sure whether we can use a combined package / script for the S790 AND S6200 or if two seperate scripts are actually required.

55 minutes ago, nUUK25 said:

What firmware version is ideal for ripping on BDP-S790 ? Can you update firmware backwards or forward as you please or can I risk that the firmware version on my player will never make it a SACD ripper ?

The firmware level on a BDP-S790 should be irrelevant for SACD ripping (I used the newest FW btw).

As for SACD-R playback (fails on M13.R.0510), I can't say for sure yet, as this "project" is still on my agenda (FW downgrade is a bit tricky but possible).