IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

7 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I've never heard that.  As far as I know the 103 and 105 work for SACD ripping with all known firmware.

I've never heard of that either, all known firmwares for the Oppo machines are working according to all reports here and on other forums.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

34 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

OK the first thing I'd like to point out is that the link above appears at least twice in the very early pages of this thread.

I don't host that link or I'd change it for one simple reason, MANY people have had trouble with it because it does not point to an Enclosing folder called AutoScript, it points to that folder's contents. SO many people have just downloaded the contents, and they lack the enclosing folder that is necessary, so for full clarity, in the Drop Box GUI, you use the Download button found at the upper right-hand side and that does download the entire enclosing folder called AutoScript:

DropBox.jpg.374d9f9b8cba086541a81dc2b71ecb1b.jpg

Then, resist the temptation to try opening that very first item within the folder called AutoScript, because if you do it will likely then have a .txt file extension, which breaks it. Worse yet, one wrong keystroke inside that file and it is broken. So don't click into it and if you did but are sure no stray keystrokes were made, also then ensure any .txt file extension/association is deleted.

Agreed to all of the above, and sorry if I reopened a can of worms. That said, it took some searching to find the link when I started my journey, and, to your point the one I found was very early in this thread and I guess I was too lazy to start all the way from the beginning of a 158 (when I first engaged) page thread. I did have to use an external search engine to find it though. I did follow your instructions (thank you for that) and downloaded a zip file which created the autoscript folder and deposited the 3 files into it. 

13 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

Agreed to all of the above, and sorry if I reopened a can of worms. That said, it took some searching to find the link when I started my journey, and, to your point the one I found was very early in this thread and I guess I was too lazy to start all the way from the beginning of a 158 (when I first engaged) page thread. I did have to use an external search engine to find it though. I did follow your instructions (thank you for that) and downloaded a zip file which created the autoscript folder and deposited the 3 files into it. 

Alright, so the very first test was touched on by @Phthalocyanine some posts back, but I'll ask if you are sure this unit's laser is actually reading SACDs, i.e. you put a disc in the tray and the LED display does in fact read SACD? If so you should be good to go in terms of the health of that unit.

The only other variable then is the Pioneer player settings, and those too would be buried a zillion pages ago as more recently the Sonys have proven far less expensive/more popular.

I have a Pioneer BDP-80fd, which is similar but not identical to your unit, the 80fd is actually a clone of the BDP-170. All 3 are known to work.

Let's assume the menu itself and the settings are going to be the same for each, very likely, as there were no early posts suggesting that all different menus and settings for the different compatible Pioneer units were necessary.

Do you have an HDMI cable connected to a display and a remote with which to toggle settings? Do you see the display read SACD when you load a disc?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

46 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I've never heard that.  As far as I know the 103 and 105 work for SACD ripping with all known firmware.

Some people blink at the cost of these units.  But if you wanted to invest in a quality BD player anyway, they're wonderful.

If you just want a SACD ripping machine, the you can't go wrong with the Sonys.

I have a UDP 205 - upgraded a BDP 105, so I agree. Oppos are wonderful - despite some firmware irregularities - too bad they got out of the business. 

I'd seen several discussions regarding newer versions of the  BDP-103 and 105 no longer supporting the SACD backup solution, and I tried the autoscript program on one which had been upgraded. The player simply ignored the program on boot up, so I figured "everything you read on the internet is true" (sorry, couldn't resist) and went with the Pioneer, which I'd felt was a safer bet. Truth be told, as much as I'm enjoying the research project - and interacting with you all - I'm not sure the Pioneer was a safer bet anymore. The BDP-160 is strictly for ripping. 

16 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Alright, so the very first test was touched on by @Phthalocyanine some posts back, but I'll ask if you are sure this unit's laser is actually reading SACDs, i.e. you put a disc in the tray and the LED display does in fact read SACD? If so you should be good to go in terms of the health of that unit.

The only other variable then is the Pioneer player settings, and those too would be buried a zillion pages ago as more recently the Sonys have proven far less expensive/more popular.

I have a Pioneer BDP-80fd, which is similar but not identical to your unit, the 80fd is actually a clone of the BDP-170. All 3 are known to work.

Let's assume the menu itself and the settings are going to be the same for each, very likely, as there were no early posts suggesting that all different menus and settings for the different compatible Pioneer units were necessary.

Do you have an HDMI cable connected to a display and a remote with which to toggle settings? Do you see the display read SACD when you load a disc?

Yes, I've confirmed the player is able to read SACDs, it plays through the 19" TV via HDMI which I use  as a monitor for both of my players. I've disabled auto play as well. IP address is set to static and it's a hard-wired ethernet connection; the connection test passes. What other settings should I check?

Check the following settings, please don't worry about whether they sound like they are truly needed or not, this is exactly how my Pioneer is set-up so we'll go with this for now:

Playback -> Last Memory -> Off

Options -> Screen Saver -> Off

Options -> Auto Power Off -> Off

Options -> Quick Start -> Off

Were they already that way and if not, what was different?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Though the above settings are important, I now see what is 99.9% likely to be your entire problem with the server method as stated by you to me in a PM:

30 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

I created an SACD folder on my NAS share (z:\SACD with about 1.5TB of available space), into which I installed: iso2dsd.exe and iso2dsd.jar.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Unfortunately the above PM ended with "I've got to step away now and won't get back to this until tomorrow afternoon".

OK, that presumes I or others are available tomorrow afternoon, and I am not. I have a day job and my Pioneer does not travel with me to work, nor would I have time there to answer any questions anyway.

However you are in luck because I'll post the solution right here right now, and I imagine your PM to me might also provide a clue as to why local ripping over Telnet also did not work.

You cannot have the Sonore package all picked apart with just those two pieces residing on your NAS, that won't work. While I've never tried to launch programs like that from a NAS, I do know one thing for sure, and that is the ENTIRE Sonore download package must remain intact and in one place, like this:

ISO2DSD-Win.thumb.jpg.8e34447a27ee3dfea48e492cfce32883.jpg

The Sonore web page says:

*Requirements: The sacd_extract file, version.txt, and the iso2dsd_gui.jar file need to be in the same folder, Java needs to me installed, 64 bit OS

...and they mean it.

Perhaps someone else can weigh in on the implications for Telnet with the above NAS-based arrangement of sacd_extract, I have a funny feeling it could be a problem there too.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

4 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

SACD-R support was silently removed in firmware 50-0323B

Yes but this has no effect on SACD ripping functionality.

Some people burn SACD-R from the .isos they get from their SACD rips, and it is perhaps convenient to play them back on the same player you used for ripping, but this is not strictly speaking a SACD ripping functionality issue.

The vast majority of people who rip SACDs today want to get away from more silver discs entirely in favor of a computer server repository of their music files.

(And for anyone who wants a player that both rips and plays SACD-R, Sony 390 and 590 rip and can play SACD-R up to a certain firmware, which is downgradeable on Sonys.)

7 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

SACD-R support was silently removed in firmware 50-0323B

I'm puzzled by you quoting me there.

I was responding to a post about SACD ripping being supposedly blocked via firmware update on the Oppo machines (which it hasn't, as repeated here many times over many pages in this thread over years' time ad nauseam).

In an earlier post I mentioned to the OP of that topic that he was confusing the SACD ripping capability with SACD-R playback having been blocked by an Oppo firmware update.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, greynolds said:

Despite what you’ve read and may believe to be true, it isn’t.  There aren’t any differences in newer Oppo BPD-10x players that would have any impact on the ripping functionality and the ripping works on both the D and non-D variants of the player.  I’ve been a beta tester for Oppo starting with the BDP-9x players and can confirm that the ripping process works fine with the latest firmware revision.  Please stop posting anything that suggests otherwise as it only serves to confuse people.

Apologies. It wasn't my intent to confuse or inflame. 

2 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

I'm puzzled by you quoting me there.

I was responding to a post about SACD ripping being supposedly blocked via firmware update on the Oppo machines (which it hasn't, as repeated here many times over many pages in this thread over years' time ad nauseam).

In an earlier post I mentioned to the OP of that topic that he was confusing the SACD ripping capability with SACD-R playback having been blocked by an Oppo firmware update.

Simply providing the underlying confirmation of what you previously said:

"I'm sure what you read had to do with a firmware defeat of SACD-R playback."

I'm using a Mac and I downloaded the ISO2DSD software; I have tried just about everything and nothing seems to work.  I have also used text edit on a Mac to change the IP addressing SACD.cmd but even that was not helpful.  The only thing I can think of is that my player is oppo BDP-95 instead of the 103 or 105.  Could that be the reason?  I am attaching a screen shot of the error that I am getting; Would anybody have any ideas how to read SACD to a Mac given my setup and situation? Any help to make this work would be God sent.  Thank you all 

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 10.54.11 PM.png