IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

12 hours ago, moosehunt said:

Hello, Thanks to everybody who helped with this. I successfully ripped 8 SACDs using a Sony S100 player, but after the 8th rip, now all i get is the following error in ISO2DSD.

Response result non-zero or disc opened
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.169:2002 for reading

Has anybody encountered this? I can't figure out anything that would have changed. Thank you for the help!

I'm not familiar with this Sony player, but if its network connection is configured to use an IP address that is automatically allocated by your router via DHCP then perhaps some recent network update has caused that address to have been changed. In other words, 192.168.1.169 may no longer be the correct address for your player.

I successfully ripped 8 SACDs using a Sony S100 player, but after the 8th rip, now all i get is the following error in ISO2DSD

Please go back and re-rip one of the discs you previously ripped successfully and see what happens now so we can figure out whether this a problem with that particular disc or a new problem in your set-up.

That is very strange...

I thought so too and then looked up the Teac PD-501 online.

At the risk of getting OTT, I thought this review from Amazon interestingly described the promise and problems of this device.  (An actual owner can chime in if this review was inaccurate.)

https://www.amazon.com/Teac-PD-501HR-Player-Black-Resolution/dp/B00BT7WJPC

This player could have been so good. Please TEAC, design the next iteration of this machine based on wider user habits rather than by a committee of marketing men. A DSD player is increasingly necessary given the increasing number of people using DSD, either derived from PS3 rips of their SACDs or as downloads, and in that sense this is a great first move (and the filterless 'Pure' setting is inspired).

However, what were you thinking corporately when you made the storage medium an optical disc (and a DVD one, single-layer at that, rather than a Blu-ray disc)? How many DSD and 2 x DSD files do you think will fit on a DVD-R? The answer is ~ 18 and 9, respectively. Ditto for 24/192 PCM. Even with the lowest resolution format that this device will play (i.e., 16-bit/44.1 khz), you'll be hard-pressed to get more than 100 tracks on that DVD-R. As the only source of DSD music is either downloaded files or SACD rips, why produce a device that requires the user burn those files back to a disc to play them?!

What a daft idea -- and implementation. This device screams out for a USB input that the user can put a flash drive into and play music files from directly (that is, a Type-A input, not a link to a computer). Given the hoops people must jump through to get DSD out of a media-player into a DAC (read DoP, ASIO-wrapper, etc), such a USB-equipped DSD player would have total market share to itself and would sell in truckloads.

The problem with most media players and music servers is the lousy navigation systems -- few want their hifi to behave like a mobile phone or to scroll down through endless lists of tracks just to play the one they want to hear, and the direct numeric track select (i.e., press '1', '3', '5' to hear Track '135') is a godsend, an aspect of the CD format that should have stayed on those players and servers and did not. Sony's attempt at this was a joke, as their HAP-S1 requires that you have the device networked and an associated iPad before you can use it.

Please rethink this device (and make sure that it is compatible with DFF DSD files, not just DSF, and has an onboard headphone socket and leve-control). If you do, you'll capture the burgeoning media-player and music-server market in one fell swoop.

As it currently stands, however, the PDS-501 is of little use...

7 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Please TEAC, design the next iteration of this machine based on wider user habits rather than by a committee of marketing men.

exactly what I always thought about it

when I was considering adding a "decent-ish" CD player to my setup just because you never know (I already ripped my whole CDs collection and it's years, now, I only buy digital downloads) I found that Teac but the DSD part... would be no use at all for me 9_9

only mentioned it here because someone asked about burning ripped DSD files

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

So I managed to find a Sony BDP-S590, and I now want to try to rip SACD to FLAC files, so I can store and play them on my Cocktail Audio X10. Would someone kindly point me in the right direction to find step by step instructions to do this, or send me a PM so I can get started. I'm planning to use Win 10 PC and have a network available. All I need now is a correctly formatted USB and download software. What could possibly go wrong?...........

I read all 125 pages of the forum dialogue, and I'm still confused!

Thanks!

After reading all 125 pages of this forum,   I am still confused. I would like to try to rip my sacds to window 10 PC.  I am going to pick up a Sony BDP-S590 tonight (found it on Kijiji  CAD 35).  Same as Tonmeister,  Would someone kindly point me in the right direction to find step by step instructions to do this, or send me a PM so I can get started. Thank you all of you from this forum.

@wl_lam, do you intend to rip directly to your PC over the network or do you plan to rip locally to the USB drive?  To put it another way: do you fancy the telnet method, or are you a server method kinda bloke? This matters since the procedures and the AutoScript file on the USB depart in many respects between the two. For instance you don’t need to worry about anything having to do with Telnet in the latter case. OTOH you will need to have the Windows command line sacd_extract.exe on your PC or the ISO2DSD GUI application. http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html The GUI front end includes the aforementioned command line sacd_extract program btw. 

I will be happy to provide a link to the correct AutoScript.TSS file for your chosen method as well as the Linux (player side) sacd_extact program for your USB drive.

@Tonmeister and wl_lam

At the top of the 2nd page in the thread, I think, there is enough of what you need to know, and links to files. In my case it is the Oppo 105 player but I don't think your units are much different in procedure, only in the specific files. Off the top of my head, this is what I do...and I do hope that you don't need to use Telnet, which I didn't:

1. You  place the PC-side software in an empty folder in your Win10 PC (preferably close to root and with a VERY short name*.) The extracted files will be placed in this folder. You'll want plenty of space available in that drive! Here's is what I remember from the one at home (I am still at work):

"J:\Sonore_I2D\iso2dsd_gui.exe" (main launching executable)
"J:\Sonore_I2D\iso2dsd_gui.jar" (optional Java launcher, can be left out)

"J:\Sonore_I2D\sacd_extract.exe" (works in background, launched silently by either of the above)

2. Turn on the player. You hook up the ethernet connection between player and Win 10 PC. Make sure WIn 10 sees the player but if not, check to see if your router has assigned an IP address for the player and take note of the address. Turn the player off after this, but make sure that there is no disc in the player before you do.

3. Then (with no disc in the player) you insert the USB stick or drive that contains the boot/transfer software files (for your specific unit) and then you turn the player on. (The drawer in the Oppo 105 opens shortly after this but not all players may do so automatically.)

4. Insert the SACD in the player, closing the drawer.

5. In the PC, you launch iso2dsd_gui.exe and enter the player's network IP address in the first 4 boxes, often 192.168.xxx.xxx, but leave the "2002" (port) alone.

6. At the top left, you select "Server Input".

7. Main Options:

-- Let's say that you first try extracting the Stereo DSD only.  In  "Channel Mode" you select "Dual" (right side controls), and (for the OPPO) choose "Sony DSF" for the "Output Mode". This will extract the files to a newly created folder in separate DSF files.  The same happens if you select "Multi" instead of "Dual" for "Channel Mode" and keep the same  DSF Output Mode. Except this way you'll get the multichannel tracks.

-- OR, if you want the whole contents of the SACD's DSD layer rendered in an ISO file, simply select "Raw ISO" for "Output Mode". It seems to ignore the "Dual" and "Multi" channel modes and simply grab the whole nine [DSD} yards. It ain't as easily a playable file but some software like JRiver can distinguish both Stereo and Multichannel inside this ISO's tracks for playback. (BTW, I use this ISO as a 2nd extraction, kept for backup and future use.)

-- - For both above, you may also request a cue file and/or a "Print" file. I ask for both and do so for the DSF and for the ISO. Then I save this to the respective folders.

8. Once the options are dialed in, you then press "Execute"...and recite a Hail Mary or somthn' :)

*Many classical music SACDs generate extremely long file names, Pentatone's more than any! The resulting "path" will sometimes exceed WIn 10's character length allowance. So, the shorter your initial  folder name is (off the disc's root) the less you will have this issue. If/when you do, ask about ways to deal with this eventuality...folks around here are very inventive!

I've commented what applies to the Oppo 105 to denote that there MAY be a different way or behavior in other units. I hope this helps.

[The traffic is probably manageable by now...time to drive home!]

I've currently got a rip in progress using a Sony BDP-S5100 I picked up for $39 on eBay.

I used the same USB thumb drive Autoscript files as I had been using with my Pioneer BDP-80fd, and the same server method using ISO2DSD v6 for Mac OSX.

Initially I had trouble and it seems related to my choice of the rear side USB port, that didn't work and produced weird behavior from the machine including one total freeze up with a disc loaded, all I could do was unplug the power. Another time the unit decided to just abruptly power itself down.

I think the rear USB port on this particular model is only supposed to be used for BD Live purposes and nothing else? I didn't get a manual with this S5100, I'll have to take a look for one on PDF, but in any event the rear USB port didn't work (sorry if thats been detailed previously and I missed it).

So I switched to the front panel USB port and that seems fine, though the behavior was a little different than on my Pioneer.

Specifically, I've always been able to just power on the machine with the thumb drive already connected to the Pioneer, and it rather quickly just opens the disc tray.

On this Sony S5100, doing it like that was finicky, however waiting on power up for the front panel display to cycle through "Wait", and then reach the on-screen display's main menu prior to inserting the USB thumb drive worked.

I wondered if the button on the remote control labeled "Audio" would toggle/cycle that necessary Stereo/Multichannel setting, but that seemed to have no effect (no feedback either from the front panel display or on-screen display) and the rip did not then commence. Using the Stereo/Multichannel toggle in the on-screen display Home menu's Music Settings then allowed the rip to commence using the Execute button in ISO2DSD. 

This was my first go with this machine, the rip has now finished as I type this and everything looks fine, I'll see if the above is all repeatable or did I possibly misreport anything, but the main takeaway for me is I now have another ripping station and a cheap one at that. Hopefully it holds up for a decent amount of rips as this removes wear and tear both from my Pioneer BDP-80fd and more importantly a Cambridge CXU that I prefer to just use in my main video-based system.

Thanks again to @Phthalocyanine for uncovering the Sony compatibility, and to those previous members here that confirmed their success with the S5100.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Rip #2 with the Sony BDP-S5100 complete:

5af393419ca44_ScreenShot2018-05-09at7_19_20PM.thumb.jpg.650cccaa50c2f78fddd5e6b2f3570f7f.jpg

For anyone wondering, the above ISO2DSD settings are only how I prefer to do it, foregoing a full ISO and the multichannel tracks, I save the 2-channel stereo tracks only directly to .dsf files. Others choose not to do it that way of course, it's just my particular use case/preference.

I found an S5100 Owners Manual in PDF form and the rear panel USB port thing is still unclear to me.

While they do specifically say to use the rear panel USB port for BD Live purposes, it doesn't exactly indicate thats the only thing you can use it for.

Maybe my troubles with it come from the on-screen menu's BD/DVD Viewing Settings default for "BD Internet Connection" being "Do Not Allow", which effectively disables BD Live.

You'd think that would be the correct setting, allowing that rear USB port to then be used for purposes other than BD Live, however it didn't work for me where the front panel USB port did. Maybe I'll enable that setting just for kicks to see if that changes anything, but it really doesn't matter, the S5100's front panel USB port works for ripping purposes. I think I'll leave it alone and just continue using the front panel USB port.

The Firmware Version on this unit is M15.R.0197 for those keeping score.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

On 4/21/2018 at 3:28 AM, mindset said:

I needed your workaround (=touching the SACD playback setting) OR my workaround (=putting the player in sleep) after disc insertion to be able to rip a disc.

How do I put the S5100 in Sleep mode?

I have just received this unit today, and I'm not very familiar with it or Sony Blu-ray players in general, it's not clear to me how to do this.

Thanks in advance and sorry if it's somewhat obvious, but I just don't see it.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

@wl_lam, do you intend to rip directly to your PC over the network or do you plan to rip locally to the USB drive?  To put it another way: do you fancy the telnet method, or are you a server method kinda bloke? This matters since the procedures and the AutoScript file on the USB depart in many respects between the two. For instance you don’t need to worry about anything having to do with Telnet in the latter case. OTOH you will need to have the Windows command line sacd_extract.exe on your PC or the ISO2DSD GUI application. http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html The GUI front end includes the aforementioned command line sacd_extract program btw. 

I will be happy to provide a link to the correct AutoScript.TSS file for your chosen method as well as the Linux (player side) sacd_extact program for your USB drive.

Hi Dick,

I will try to rip locally to the USB drive. it seems that it will be easier.  Please share the link to the correct AutoScript.TSS file. 

Hi EPhono,  Thanks for sharing you experience.

Thanks again to @Phthalocyanine  for sending me the SACD  backup guide. 

@MikeyFresh

While they do specifically say to use the rear panel USB port for BD Live purposes, it doesn't exactly indicate thats the only thing you can use it for.

I have never tried to use the rear USB on my S590 for ripping.  If you get it to work, let us know.

How do I put the S5100 in Sleep mode?

For the S390/590, you go into system settings and turn on "Quick Start Mode" (The default setting I believe is off.)

With Quick Start Mode enabled, when you turn off the BD player it does not turn completely off, but goes into something akin to "sleep" mode for a computer.

@mindset's brilliant discovery is that when the Sony BD player is in this "sleep" mode it can still engage in network connections and rip SACDs.  You can only use the "server" method however, because in "sleep" mode, the USB port turns off, so you cannot engage in local ripping to USB.

@mindset's other brilliant discovery is that in sleep mode there is no need to do the music setting toggle workaround for the Sony player because the SACD disc is unmounted in sleep mode.  (Actually you could not do the toggle in sleep mode even if you wanted to,  because you would have to turn the player on again to get to music settings.)

Now to get this all to work, you need to do everything you would do for a server method rip, but instead of toggling the music setting and then ripping with iso2DSD, you put the player into sleep mode (turn it off with Quick Start Mode enabled) and then go and start the rip with isosDSD.

A major complication is that when the player is in "sleep" mode, every time you re-insert the USB stick into the player, the player gives the mounted USB stick a new designation in the Linux operating system - sda1 to sdb1 to sdc1 to etc.  Now the stock scripts in the TSS folders designate sda1, so if the USB drive designation changes they will not work.  To get the USB drive back to sda1, you need to disable quick start mode, turn off the player (for real) and start all over.

@mindset has actually modified his player with modified firmware so he does not even need to use a USB stick for root access, telnet, starting sacd_extract in server mode etc.  But that's a whole other level.

So bottom line -- you can try to use @mindset's method, but you may run into some of the problems sketched out above.  If you do run into problems that the player will not run the scripts from the USB drive (because its designation has changed) remember you can always start from scratch by turning off quick start mode and turning off the player to reset everything.

8 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

A major complication is that when the player is in "sleep" mode, every time you re-insert the USB stick into the player, the player gives the mounted USB stick a new designation in the Linux operating system - sda1 to sdb1 to sdc1 to etc.  Now the stock scripts in the TSS folders designate sda1, so if the USB drive designation changes they will not work.  To get the USB drive back to sda1, you need to disable quick start mode, turn off the player (for real) and start all over.

Thank you, I will try that tonight.

I am wondering what happens if I complete a rip this way, then wake the player by using the open tray button, remove the disc I just ripped and insert another SACD to rip, close the tray... can I just sleep the machine again and the USB thumb drive remains in place the entire time with no change to the designation given to it in Linux?

If the above works then it's easier in some ways I suppose than it is to toggle the Stereo/multichannel menu option. If it doesn't work, then I'm not sure there is a big benefit to streamlining things using the Sleep method.

I also see in @mindset's posts that there is a modification to the script that makes the Linux designation for the USB thumb drive mount point more or less universal by use of an * in the code? i.e:

Original:

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

New:

CLI(CLI_exec cp `ls -d /mnt/sd*`/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

can I just sleep the machine again and the USB thumb drive remains in place the entire time with no change to the designation given to it in Linux?

That is the key question.  I don't know the answer.  If the USB designation does change then this method becomes impractical for multiple rips (with the stock scripts).

that there is a modification to the script

Yes, this is designed to get around the above-discussed problem.  I have not used it myself yet.

16 hours ago, wl_lam said:

Hi Dick,

I will try to rip locally to the USB drive. it seems that it will be easier.  Please share the link to the correct AutoScript.TSS file. 

@wl_lam and @Tonmeister, the following link will take you to a Dropbox folder containing a handful of resources including:

1. A universal AutoScript folder that supports both the Telnet and Server methods on (at the least) the Oppo and Sony S590 players.  The AutoScript folder contains the universal AutoScript.TSS file (which is highly annotated) and both variants of the sacd_extract Linux executable. 

2. Links to Sonore’s download pages for ISO2DSD and DSD2FLAC applications for macOS, Windows and Linux.

3. The computer-side binaries for the sacd_extract command line programs (macOS and Windows). Note these are also included in Sonore’s GUI front end. 

Dick’s SACD Ripping Stuff

You will not find instructions there, however you’ve already seen @ePhono‘s nice write up and since you are angling for local ripping AND a Windows bloke then @Phthalocyanine‘s Guide for the S590 should have you cookin’ with gas in no time. 

HUGE CAVEAT on universal AutoScript file: my heretofore latest version was tested on both the Oppo and Sony players and worked ?.  However (picture the late great Rodney Dangerfield nervously adjusting his tie) the minor changes I made today have not yet been tested. I plan to do that soon but as of this moment there exists the possibility that I introduced a fatal flaw. 

BTW, having done both methods, imho the telnet method is no more or less simple than the server method: they’re just different. Each has wickets potential pitfalls that the other does not. Both require your network connectivity to be sorted out or you don’t get to first base, etc. At the end of the day it just comes down to your workflow preference. 

Good of luck and may The Force be with you!  

9 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

can I just sleep the machine again and the USB thumb drive remains in place the entire time with no change to the designation given to it in Linux?

That is the key question.  I don't know the answer.  If the USB designation does change then this method becomes impractical for multiple rips (with the stock scripts).

Tonight I tried this on the S5100, using the server method and @mindset's Sleep trick, while leaving the USB thumb drive in place. It works for consecutive rips on the S5100.

So after the 1st rip completed according to ISO2DSD, I woke the machine from sleep using the open tray button, while leaving the thumb drive in the USB port untouched.

The player woke up, and opened the tray, however it should be noted the tray closed again all on it's own within about 1-2 seconds. So fast I didn't have time to remove the disc (be aware of that if you try to take the disc you just ripped out of the tray you have almost no time to do so before the drawer starts to close again).

So I opened the tray a second time and this time it stayed open, then I swapped a different SACD into the tray and closed it again. After putting the S5100 to sleep again, the Execute button in ISO2DSD commenced the 2nd consecutive rip. 

So the OS didn't change the USB designation preventing any further rips.

For the server method using a Sony, the above is probably a bit easier than using the on-screen display menu to toggle the stereo/multichannel setting. Both actions work of course, it comes down to preference I guess.

If nothing else I prefer the sleep trick because it means I don't even necessarily need a monitor or HDMI cable, the entire rip process can be done more or less headless which is the way I had done it on the Pioneer, no on-screen display is needed.

So for now I won't mess with the script change that @mindset posted about, it isn't necessary for the server method using the sleep trick on the S5100, consecutive rips are possible just by leaving the USB thumb drive in place.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

57 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

The player woke up, and opened the tray, however it should be noted the tray closed again all on it's own within about 1-2 seconds. So fast I didn't have time to remove the disc (be aware of that if you try to take the disc you just ripped out of the tray you have almost no time to do so before the drawer starts to close again).

Try removing the following line from AutoScript (and AutoScript.TSS just to be safe):

CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

This line opens the tray (and possibly closes it), and is unnecessary for sacd_extract to work.

Alternatively, if you are using the server mode, you can remove the USB stick once sacd_extract is loaded by the player .   sacd_extract will keep running even after ripping or sleep as long as quick start mode is enabled.  There will no problem with sequential ripping.

18 minutes ago, mindset said:

Alternatively, if you are using the server mode, you can remove the USB stick once sacd_extract is loaded by the player .   sacd_extract will keep running even after ripping or sleep as long as quick start mode is enabled.  There will no problem with sequential ripping.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense and is an easy way to keep the tray from moving at unwanted times. Your sleep trick allows the same monitor-less operation as I'm used to with both the Pioneer BDP-80fd, and Cambridge CXU.

If I then set-up WiFi on the Sony, the only wire I need to connect is the S5100's power cord, meaning it can then be located anywhere in the house (though WiFi might be slower than Ethernet).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook