IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Those are two of the largest SACD ISOs that you will rip, so as per Phthalocyanine I would first examine whether you have FAT32 USB drives.  In a PS3, should the ISO be too big for the required FAT32 then it automatically splits the ISO into parts that requires a tool like HJSplit to join.  I guess the remdy here is to use an NTFS USB drive.  Also, as he said, check for your overall room on your USB thumb. 

I just reripped my In The Flesh-Live (my NAS hdds which house my ISO collection are packed away in the new house in Denver) and disc 1 is 6.4GB and disc 2 is 6.6GB.  I believe the Heart Alive In Seattle discs, however, are both under 4GB.

54 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I just reripped my In The Flesh-Live (my NAS hdds which house my ISO collection are packed away in the new house in Denver) and disc 1 is 6.4GB and disc 2 is 6.6GB.

Is that because you converted DST to DSD? Otherwise, I don't see how that's technically possible. The disc limit is 4.7GB.

- JediJoker

9 minutes ago, JediJoker said:

Is that because you converted DST to DSD? Otherwise, I don't see how that's technically possible. The disc limit is 4.7GB.

Beats me!  That is the ripped ISO size, period.  And you can see those sizes in VHRocks1 screen grab, too.

The disc limit is 4.7GB.

That's what I thought too.

But a dual-layer SACD was always a theoretical possibility because a SACD disc has the physical structure of a DVD disc, which has long supported dual-layer versions.

Does that Roger Waters SACD disc have a hybrid CD layer too?

Now that would be a complicated disc!

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

That's what I thought too.

But a dual-layer SACD was always a theoretical possibility because a SACD disc has the physical structure of a DVD disc, which has long supported dual-layer versions.

Does that Roger Waters SACD disc have a hybrid CD layer too?

Now that would be a complicated disc!

In the Flesh is a 2 disc SACD set, both discs are dual layer containing stereo and multichannel.

There is no CD layer, these are not hybrid discs.

This title is a rare and at the time, one of the first dual layer SACD and at the date of release, circa 2001, forums were awash with complaints about the title stalling/freezing in some very expensive high end SACD players.

It seems many SACD players could not handle the layer change properly at that time.

I have ripped this on a 105D and can confirm both ISO,s come in at 6GB+

Guest skepitcal
17 hours ago, vhrocks1 said:

Roger Waters - In The Flesh (disc 1 freezes at 78% and disc 2 80%)

Heart - Alive In Seattle (disc 2 29%)

image.thumb.png.a5047d44f4dd3c959a3877cc33936c78.png

Anyone else have this happen?

@vhrocks1 According to your screenshot the rip is freezing at roughly 30 minutes (5438MB/3.26MBps=1668seconds=28min).  A couple of my rips froze at the half-hour mark because the BDP-S590 automatically shuts off if unattended for that long.  From the manual,  pg 12:

If any button on the player or remote is not pressed for more than 30 minutes, the player automatically returns to standby mode.

This 'feature' can't be turned off, so one needs to press a button every now and then to keep it alive.

5438MB/3.26MBps=1668seconds=28min

@skepitcal

Great use of forensic mathematics to figure out the possible problem!

(The rip rate is slower at the beginning, so it was probably a few minutes longer, maybe slightly more than 30 minutes.)

I would occasionally run into the "going into sleep" problem on my S590 on an unattended long rip.  (This Roger Waters disc is apparently the longest rip of any SACD.)

Most of the time I would be in the same room as the player, using a laptop to send the telnet commands, and keeping half an eye on the TV screen while it was ripping, while doing something else, like making dinner.  Whenever I saw the player go into screen saver (which is the first step towards sleep) I would hit the up or down navigation button to get it out of screen saver and keep it awake.  Hitting a button like this does not interfere with the ripping process

7 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@skepitcal

Great use of forensic mathematics to figure out the possible problem!

(The rip rate is slower at the beginning, so it was probably a few minutes longer, maybe slightly more than 30 minutes.)

I would occasionally run into the "going into sleep" problem on my S590 on an unattended long rip.  (This Roger Waters disc is apparently the longest rip of any SACD.)

Most of the time I would be in the same room as the player, using a laptop to send the telnet commands, and keeping half an eye on the TV screen while it was ripping, while doing something else, like making dinner.  Whenever I saw the player go into screen saver (which is the first step towards sleep) I would hit the up or down navigation button to get it out of screen saver and keep it awake.  Hitting a button like this does not interfere with the ripping process

Good call @skepitcal ! Each of the Roger Waters discs took over 30 minutes to rip so it was a timeout/sleep issue with the player. With the Heart disc, I was likely distracted between prepping it and starting the telnet commands. My player and desktop are on different floors, so it probably hit the 30 minute mark early in the rip process. 

@Phthalocyanine, you may want to add this to your user guide under the ERRORS, PROBLEMS AND FIXES section to make it even more rock solid. Thanks again to all for your quick troubleshooting and assistance! I am so excited to make varied playlists and bring up songs on-demand from all my incredible multichannel albums.

1 hour ago, benalaur_01 said:

My PS3 ripped iso archive has these 2 files as:

Roger Waters - In the Flesh - Live - Disc 1.iso  4,691,138 Kb

Roger Waters - In the Flesh - Live-  Disc 2.iso  4,826,850 Kb

Either those are a different version or they are incomplete. Mine said 100% but both were around 4.7GB and missing some mutitrack songs. I had to reformat the stick from fat32 to NTFS as suggested and then all was well.

Just wanted to contribute my SACD ripping experience for the Sony S590.

After figuring out my scripts actually needed to be in the AutoScript folder and not the root of the SD card

everything went rather smoothly.

Surprising to me USB 2 VS USB 3 thumb drives are significantly faster

I wouldn't have thought it would matter since the data is being ripped at around 3MBps

Technically USB2 should handle around 60MBps, but for some reason it drops to less than 1.5MBps

The sleep issue is a real drag.  I hope someone figures out how to keep the thing awake, I was thinking of trying to use a streaming service like hulu and watching videos while it rips, but it won't let me use my personal HULU account???

One thing that I noticed:  In quickboot mode and allow network wake.  One can still telnet into the machine while its off, but it's not particularly useful. In face it seems to cause an issue with the Player changing the id of the thumb drive from sda1 to sdb1 if you take it out and put it back in. The only way around it as far as I can tell is not allow quick boot so that it hard resets everything in the os.

I tried using the unix command shutdown now it gave the system warning it's going down like any unix/linux distro but it didn't seem like the player actually wanted to cooperate with the shutdown command.

Anyhow after figuring out some of it's quirks and to never leave it ripping unattended everything is working great.  I spent 69 on my player free shipping.  More than some of you but definitely worth being able to finally rip all of my SACD's off of physical media.

Thank you to everyone who figured out these exploits and whoever wrote the executable for ripping the iso's !!!!

To vhrocks1

My version of Roger Waters in the flesh is the  Columbia 501137 6 - Single layer SACD, not the version on SA-CD.net or HRAudio.net that is C2S 85235 that is a dual layer SACD

So yes it is a different version. I re-extracted the iso's to dsf to check,  and the stereo and multichannel tracks are all present in full

https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/738ede1e-4103-3e2e-9180-f9bdf4b65d80

21 hours ago, Antone said:

The sleep issue is a real drag.  I hope someone figures out how to keep the thing awake, I was thinking of trying to use a streaming service like hulu and watching videos while it rips, but it won't let me use my personal HULU account???

Not sure if this is related, but for that sleep issue, have you tried turning on the Quick Start Mode of the player and start ripping AFTER putting the player in sleep?  If Quick Start Mode is enabled, the UNIX system in the player keeps running even during sleep (power light = OFF) and you can even rip SACDs in sleep.

I have been happily ripping using BDP-S390 for more than a year with this method (plus firmware hack for pure USB-memory-less operation based on Malcom Stagg's study) though I don't have such a big SACD like yours.

By the way, I have also tried BDP-S5100 and BDP-S590 and these also work, too.

@mindset

These are very interesting revelations.

Can you explain in more detail about how you've been ripping SACDs with the S390, S590, and S5100?

Have you been using some variation of the "work-around" method that I've talked about for these?

Or are you saying that, in sleep mode, one can rip without the "work-around"?

What is the "firmware hack for pure USB-memory-less operation" based on Stagg's work?

Are you using the same exploit script for the S5100 as for the S390 and S590?

This would be significant, as this would be the first example of a 2013 model Sony BD player working with the exploit for SACD ripping.

First of all, I started with the browser exploit which allows execution of arbitrary program from a USB drive to gain telnet access.  (google Malcom Stagg for the exploit.  It's easy to find.).  Then, I ran sacd_extract_160, insert a disc, put the player in sleep, and rip over LAN.  I don't remember doing anything special besides this.  I am not sure how different this is from the popular Pioneer 160 approach people here are using.

Then, I thought it was inconvenient to do this each time I reboot the player so I switched to firmware modification for USB-memory-less operation.  I might have gone straight to firmware modification for some of the players I mentioned.  (Sorry, it has been 1.5 years since the time I was playing with them)

USB-memory-less operation: one can modify the firmware so arbitrary programs (such as sacd_extract_160, telnetd, ftdp, etc) in the little non-volatile disk space (/3rd_data) are executed before the main player program (bdpprog) so once the player powers up, it's ready for ripping.  Again, please refer to Malcom Stagg's webpage for the method.  Unfortunately it is not very straightforward as it involves extracting the firmware file system, extracting it, modifying it, rebuilding the firmware, and packing everything together.

@mindset

Yes, I've used the Malcolm Stagg browser exploit to gain root control of an S590.  And once one has gained root control of the S590 (whatever the method) one can run the sacd_extract_160 on the S590 to rip SACDs.

But it's easier to use the Autoscript folder scripts to gain root control on a S590, so I've generally used that.

I understand that Stagg has a method for bundling software modifications within a firmware update (delivered through a customized CD upgrade disc), so one can permanently install those programs on the BD player, rather than having to use a USB stick to run the program, so that's what you mean by the USB-memory-less operation.  As you mention, this is not for the faint of heart, because if you get it wrong you can permanently brick your player.  And I've never done it.

In my experience, and in the experience of others who have posted, when using a S590 with the Autoscript folder scripts, one cannot simply use the same method as the Pioneer 160 because the Sony has no setting to disable automounting of the SACD.  So if you simply run sacd_extract_160 it will not work because the SACD is mounted and inaccessible to the ripping program.  You have to add a step where you "trick" the S590 into unmounting the disc, and this involves going to the music setting and switching the multichannel to stereo or vice versa just before running the sacd_extract_160 program.

If you've figured out a method to avoid that "work-around" step, that would be great, but I'm still not exactly sure the order of your steps.

And perhaps this only works because you modified your player permanently with the Stagg method.

Is your S5100 permanently modified too?  If not, does the Autoscript folder script exploits work for that or only the Stagg browser exploit?  And you can confirm that you've successfully ripped SACDs using sacd_extract_160 with a S5100?

By the way S5100 doesn't rip any faster than S590 or S390.  The firmware on my S5100 is the latest = M15.R.0197.

Another thing:

This might have been discussed earlier, but I see many people asked for help, and their problems seem to be related to the way USB stick is formatted which can affect the mount point while autoscript assumes /mnt/sda1 as the mount point.  I see that the mount point of a USB stick is not fixed and it even changes each time it is reinserted.  Maybe changing Autoscript like this will help?

Original:

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

New:

CLI(CLI_exec cp `ls -d /mnt/sd*`/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

So it looks like you and I independently came up with different workaround for the same goal.

I'm going to try your sleep method this weekend -- very interesting.

New:

CLI(CLI_exec cp `ls -d /mnt/sd*`/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

So this command  looks for any folder in the mnt directory starting with sd (which will catch all the variant mount assignments)

and copies sacd_extract within.  Clever.  Have you tested it out in practice?

I found three S5100's in my closet

What else have you got in that closet?

Have you got any of the SACD playing Sonys from 2014 like the BDP-S6200 or from 2015 like the BDP-S6500 to test out?

Also you haven't figured out how to gain root access to the 2010 or 2011 Sony models (S570 or S580) have you?

Just checking . . .

14 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

So this command  looks for any folder in the mnt directory starting with sd (which will catch all the variant mount assignments)

and copies sacd_extract within.  Clever.  Have you tested it out in practice?

Yes, I tested the new command.  It worked for me.

17 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

What else have you got in that closet?

Have you got any of the SACD playing Sonys from 2014 like the BDP-S6200 or from 2015 like the BDP-S6500 to test out?

Unfortunately, I have got only S5100, S590, S390, and S1100.  S1100, which doesn't support SACD, has the same optical drive as S5100's but I couldn't get it to rip an SACD.  It does recognize an SACD as SACD (according to bdpprog log) but something (probably software) is preventing it from using the SACD layer.

For S6200 and newer, the firmware structure has changed, so we can't even extract the firmware using Malcom Stagg's method.  This makes me think that there might have been lots of changes to the firmware which could potentially include sealing the back doors like the autoscript and browser's USB binary execution.

I made a first pass with your method, but can't quite get it to work for me.

You were correct (and I was amazed) that if you put the S590 into quick boot mode and then turn it off, it continues to accept telnet commands.

But it no longer can read the USB drive either.  I confirmed with telnet ls command that the player no longer see sda or sd-anything in the mnt folder when it is in sleep mode.

This is a fatal flaw for my preferred method of ripping, which is "Local" ripping.  In this method,  I change directory to the sacd_extract_160 in the USB drive and issue the telnet command for the player to run the program from there and the player copies the ripped .iso into that folder on the USB drive.

But you cannot do local ripping this way with it in sleep mode because the player can no longer connect to the USB drive.  (Unless I am missing something.)

I think I understand how one could do the "server" method with the sleep mode.  You start up the player with the USB drive in it.  The script gets root control and copies sacd_extract_160 to the root of the player, and runs it in server mode, opening a network connection for ripping to a networked computer.  Now you can turn the player off (put it in sleep mode).  You do not need the USB drive to do anything at this point.  The sacd_extract_160 should still be running in server mode on the player.  So you fire up iso2dsd on your networked computer, use server mode with the IP address for the player, and it should rip to your networked computer.  You don't need my workaround because the SACD disc is unmounted in sleep mode, although it will still rip.

At least that's how I think it would work.  I could not get the server method to work for me.  But it has been so long since I've used the server method, I'm not sure I'm using the right scripts etc.  It is really not worth it for me to trouble-shoot it, because I much prefer the "local" ripping method.

But I can see if one likes the server method and has a S590 your approach offers some benefits, not least of which is not having to worry about the player going in sleep mode (because it is already in sleep mode).

Let me know if I misunderstood any of the steps you use.

42 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

But it no longer can read the USB drive either.  I confirmed with telnet ls command that the player no longer see sda or sd-anything in the mnt folder when it is in sleep mode.

This is a fatal flaw for my preferred method of ripping, which is "Local" ripping.  In this method,  I change directory to the sacd_extract_160 in the USB drive and issue the telnet command for the player to run the program from there and the player copies the ripped .iso into that folder on the USB drive.

Oh, I see.  It's opposite for me.  Ripping over LAN has been always my preferred method (I have setup a script so I can get .iso ripped, extracted, and stored in proper locations in my LAN in one shot) .    I can confirm that the USB drive disappears during sleep.  If you need to rip locally, the sleep method is not for you unless some one can find a way to "wake up" USB during sleep