IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

4 minutes ago, Lillapepe said:

Question........can I rip my Blu Rays using the same software (method) or do I have to use a different one?

Thank you in advance

It would need to be different and there's no good reason to use a Bluray player for this purpose.  Get a Bluray drive for your PC and then use MakeMKV, AnyDVD HD, or one of the other options to rip your Blurays.

Hi,

I'm new to this thread and haven't been able to read all 130 pages of it, but am getting the idea that I can get a Sony BDP-S390 & make up a USB stick with the AutoScript stuff on it & then convert my own SACDs to ISO format over the network.

Is a Sony BDP-S390 that has been modified to multi region DVD still ok? (I don't have one yet, but was going to pick one up from the usual place beginning with 'e'...)

I would also be using a Mac (& noted I need to format USB stick to FAT32 with MBR)

I'm pleased to have found this thread, as I've been keeping my old PS3 that could read SACD, but has died, around to act as a ripper, but might be able to get rid of that now ? 

(key question is in bold...)

Thanks

1 minute ago, Sevenfeet said:

Yup your player should be good to go.  I’ve used a S590 successfully...the process isn’t completely idiot proof but there’s enough help here to answer your questions.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've download a bunch of stuff that Dick(??) posted, so can see what's need, just need to cough up for Sony BDP-S390 now then (shame my current Cambridge Audio 751BD isn't supported [or is it??], as then I don't need to buy anything else)

2 hours ago, servoyguru said:

Is a Sony BDP-S390 that has been modified to multi region DVD still ok?

The BDP-S390 generally works, but I must say that no one has confirmed one that had multi-region modification.

So I would say that, unless you've already contracted to buy this one, it might be safer to get a regular one, which are plentiful and cheap.  (It seems to me that you would be paying a premium for a multi-region mod model that you don't even need the special capabilities.)

Several Sony models to choose from:

11 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The BDP-S390 generally works, but I must say that no one has confirmed one that had multi-region modification.

So I would say that, unless you've already contracted to buy this one, it might be safer to get a regular one, which are plentiful and cheap.  (It seems to me that you would be paying a premium for a multi-region mod model that you don't even need the special capabilities.)

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't committed to it, so am looking at the other models now from your list.

Hopefully I can pick one up cheaply and start ripping my SACDs ?

6 hours ago, servoyguru said:

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't committed to it, so am looking at the other models now from your list.

Hopefully I can pick one up cheaply and start ripping my SACDs ?

I was lucky to find my S590 sitting in my parents home theater rack now unused (thanks to Apple TV) since I picked it out for them years ago.

Not sure about Sony but my modified Oppo that is code free/region free rips as it should.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 6/5/2018 at 5:03 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

Also worth noting the Walmart/Target versions that were identical in every way, apparently the only difference being they also included a bundled HDMI cable in the box:

S390 = BX39

S590 = BX59

S5100 = BX510

I originally found an S5100 in good shape with original box and remote for $39, thought I had made a pretty good deal there until I found an even better condition BX510 with box/remote for all of $17.99. Now I have two cheap Sony units.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

6 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Also worth noting the Walmart/Target versions that were identical in every way, apparently the only difference being they also included a bundled HDMI cable in the box:

S390 = BX39

S590 = BX59

S5100 = BX510

I originally found an S5100 in good shape with original box and remote for $39, thought I had made a pretty good deal there until I found an even better condition BX510 with box/remote for all of $17.99. Now I have two cheap Sony units.

Thanks

I guess there may be the small problem that I'm in the UK ?

2 hours ago, opethrox said:

Has anyone tried using a Sony UBP-X800?

No one has reported trying the SACD ripping exploit on this 2017 model nor on any of the following Sony BD player models (the only ones with SACD) in these years.  Conventional wisdom is that it is unlikely that these models are using the vulnerable chipset.

BDP-S6200

BDP-S6500

UHP-H1

BDP-S6700

Sony UBP‑X800

On 6/11/2018 at 2:12 AM, Phthalocyanine said:

UHP-H1

BDP-S6700

Hello. My first post here. I have been using a Pioneer BDP-160 for SACD ripping for quite a while now, but the thing have since stopped working. I have the Sony BDP-S6700 too, so I decided to give it a try.

Inserting the usual USB stick with the AutoScript files made telnet possible. It is running Linux kernel 3.10.26 though, and running ./sacd_extract_160 -S & results in the following:

-sh-3.2# insmod: error inserting '/tmp/fileSWbF6y': -1 Invalid module format
[0]: install_modules: mknod/insmod filed
ERROR: Module sacd_read does not exist in /proc/modules
[0]: Can not install modules

Initally, I thought that meant all hope is gone, but cat /proc/cpuinfo shows hardware: mt85xx. Could that mean that it is due to the incompatible kernel, and a recompiled sacd_extract would work? I know I'm trying my luck here with possible lack of knowledge, but I surely hope it will work. Any thoughts? Thank you.

2 hours ago, Vincent Neo said:

Inserting the usual USB stick with the AutoScript files made telnet possible.

Wow really interesting that the the Sony BDP-S6700 has the same vulnerability.

It is definitely worth trying a number of methods to see whether SACD ripping might work with this model.

I am going to PM you my guide to "local" SACD ripping to USB stick (also available at Dick Darlington's Dropbox collection of SACD ripping resources) and maybe you can try that method.

Remember that even for the Sony models that have been proven to work for SACD ripping,  an additional "work-around" step is required (that is not required for the Oppo or Pioneer.)  This is discussed in my guide.

14 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I am going to PM you my guide to "local" SACD ripping to USB stick (also available at Dick Darlington's Dropbox collection of SACD ripping resources) and maybe you can try that method.

Remember that even for the Sony models that have been proven to work for SACD ripping,  an additional "work-around" step is required (that is not required for the Oppo or Pioneer.)  This is discussed in my guide.

I've tried the method from the guide you PM'd, steps go a little different for me, as the Sony BDP-S6700 interface works a little different compared to to Sony BDP-S590, though same error messages, no matter what is chosen. 

insmod: error inserting '/tmp/filenVAEOs': -1 Invalid module format

This line (the inserted file always changes) really makes me feel like it is a problem with the kernel not supporting the executable as it is of the newer version, not the usual 2.6.35 kernel with players like the Pioneer BDP-160. insmod inserts kernel modules, which is kernel version dependent, I remembered? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

I recompiled sacd_extract for kernel 3.10.26.

Previous errors are resolved now.

Now I'm getting this: 

libsacdread: Can't stat /dev/cdrom
No such file or directory

Now the question I have is that isn't the drive located at /dev/sr0? why is it sourcing /dev/cdrom? As such, do you guys have any way to force libsacdread to stat /dev/sr0, or to check if there is indeed a /dev/cdrom in usual supported devices like the Pioneers or the Oppos.

By the way, do anyone know if the sacd_extract_160 have modified source files, that differ from the github source? If indeed it is different, please share the source file with me, as I hope to dive deeper into this.