IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Thanks the guys involved in this informative thread. Got myself a Sony S5100 and was successful ripping my first sacd. Was struggling for a couple of days initially but finally found out what the problem was: for Sony players we need to use a different set of autoscript files (mentioned earlier in this forum). One of the files should be called sacd_extract_160. If the wrong file is used an error message will pop up when trying to execute sacd.cmd. As mentioned before the trick is to toggle the audio setting, and everything else should be straight forward.

AFAIK, the only relevant issue to this thread regarding Oppo firmware is the ability (or removal of that ability) to play SACD-Rs.  Those are ISOs burnt onto DVD-Rs and played back on SACD and universal/SACD disc players that accept them.  But as far as ripping the initial ISOs, no I don't believe any firmware affects the ability to rip (as others who are more in the know have already responded to).

21 minutes ago, billyl327 said:

Got myself a Sony S5100 and was successful ripping my first sacd.

So is the the first confirmed ripping success using the Sony BDP-S5100, a 2013 model?

I remember in @Phthalocyanine's original Sony finding post of early February that this was another model that logically might work, but I don't recall having seen any actual reports of S5100 (or any 2013 year Sony units) success until now.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 minute ago, ted_b said:

AFAIK, the only relevant issue to this thread regarding Oppo firmware is the ability (or removal of that ability) to play SACD-Rs.  Those are ISOs burnt onto DVD-Rs and played back on SACD and universal/SACD disc players that accept them.  But as far as ripping the initial ISOs, no I don't believe any firmware affects the ability to rip (as others who are more in the know have already responded to).

Thank you Ted, not an issue now, would only be an issue if I backed up my SACDs and the stored originals got disc rot, burned up in a fire (you think about these things after you've had a fire and lost most of everything you owned- I keep backups of important media in 2 fireproof waterproof safes now) or stolen; you wouldn't happen to know where I could find out more details about this, would you? If I had to restore my discs after a disaster and they wouldn't play in anything that would be a sad situation.

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

Just confirming this. Almost painfully, I am about to give away my old Oppo 83, which does retain the ability to play ISO discs, which my 105 can't.

Oh well, by the grace of the great work you've all done here, my Oppo 105 issues DSD copies that I can load to my PC for more convenience, no small consolation, huh...tks!

Created USB with ted_b's link, worked without issues in my BDP-103, used sacd_extract from the cmd line to extract my first sacd iso... went very smoothly, although I still have to review the cmd line switches because it ended up in my personal user directory instead of in the c:\sacd_extract\ folder. Will review the cmd line help listing to find the appropriate options tomorrow and create some bat files for my needs. I know there's a gui interface but it requires java and I'm not a fan of it and consider it a security risk (YMMV). I'm trying to figure out how JRMC has implemented it's use in ver 24 for Bluray titles, where it's isolated from use by other programs on the system and never tries to update itself, I think I understand how they did it, think it's similar to a portable version, but not the exact same, and this needs further review. If you want to know more a little more about how JRMC 24 says it works, see the beginning of this thread, which is not very detailed, but it's a start:

NEW: Blu-ray Menu playback support:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114628.0.html

I still have much to learn about the format; for instance I had read elsewhere in this  thread that ripping an ISO would result in it containing all the contents of the disc, i.e. the stereo, multi-channel and CD versions in the ISO ( I tested with 'Madman Across The Water'- Elton John, which the jewel case is marked with all three versions. When I opened the disc in JRMC 24, it only gave me the option of playing the stereo version, not the multi-channel... don't know if I need to configure something in JRMC or if the problem lies with how I ripped the ISO. Any explanation, advice etc regarding that would be appreciated, I'm not new to computers, but I am a newbie when it comes to ripping SACD's.

Many thanks to all the people who worked on the various aspects of this thread and those who contributed their personal experience and wisdom to help others on the same road...

3 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

I still have much to learn about the format; for instance I had read elsewhere in this  thread that ripping an ISO would result in it containing all the contents of the disc, i.e. the stereo, multi-channel and CD versions in the ISO

Definitely does not contain the CD layer.

The ripped iso contains the DSD/SACD layer only.

It will contain both stereo and Multichannel if present.

The CD layer cannot be ripped to ISO

No CD can be ripped to an ISO

You must rip to another image format for CD such as BIN & cue file, or wav & cue file etc.

You can use EAC or DBpoweramp and many other CD copy programs for that.

3 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

Created USB with ted_b's link, worked without issues in my BDP-103, used sacd_extract from the cmd line to extract my first sacd iso... went very smoothly, although I still have to review the cmd line switches because it ended up in my personal user directory instead of in the c:\sacd_extract\ folder. Will review the cmd line help listing to find the appropriate options tomorrow and create some bat files for my needs. I know there's a gui interface but it requires java and I'm not a fan of it and consider it a security risk (YMMV)

I'm using the command line too (for your very same reasons) but... I'm on a Mac

for ripping DSFs to my "SACD_rips" folder I type these two lines:

cd /Users/paolo/Music/SACD_rips

./sacd_extract -i 10.0.1.42:2002 -2 -s

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

5 hours ago, andy1249 said:

Definitely does not contain the CD layer.

The ripped iso contains the DSD/SACD layer only.

It will contain both stereo and Multichannel if present.

The CD layer cannot be ripped to ISO

No CD can be ripped to an ISO

You must rip to another image format for CD such as BIN & cue file, or wav & cue file etc.

You can use EAC or DBpoweramp and many other CD copy programs for that.

Thanks for clearing that up Andy, I own a copy of DBpoweramp so I can use that to pull a CD copy for my iPod. Will have to dig into JRMC to find out why it only saw the stereo version and not the multichannel of the iso.

1 hour ago, BluRay444 said:

Thanks for clearing that up Andy, I own a copy of DBpoweramp so I can use that to pull a CD copy for my iPod. Will have to dig into JRMC to find out why it only saw the stereo version and not the multichannel of the iso.

When you drag the ISO into jRiver, both the stereo and multichannel tracks are loaded into the playlist. IIRC, the stereo tracks are on top so either scroll down to the multichannel tracks or remove the stereo tracks from the list.

2 minutes ago, ted_b said:

And my JRMC videos show you how to create an ISO view that highlights one layer (2 ch) or the other (6 ch), so you don't end up playing the wrong one.  It's simple to do.

5aec72183aca4_ISOrule.thumb.jpg.cc0a009a8567b434fc99677b91b2fc07.jpg

Yes. I have mine setup that way. I was just keeping it simple for the new guy:-) Thanks!

Thanks himey and ted, this is my second day with ripping SACDs so I'm still in the steep part of the learning curve. As a quick test to verify the integrity of the rip yesterday I just double-clicked on the ISO and JRMC(24) auto-mounted the ISO in the background and suggested compatible bitrates, and the ISO played. I didn't import the ISO into my library as I'm still thinking about how I want to handle this format- ISO or split files. Will look at your JRMC youtubes today ted, thanks!

Can my ripped tracks (.dsf files) be burned onto a CD ROM to make a "mix tape" SACD?

You would need a DVD because SACDs are that size (2 to 4 GB) rather than a CD (700 MB).

A single DSF file is around 200-400 MB.

What you are really asking is whether you can author you own SACD-Rs (SACD information on a DVD) with your own selection of tracks?

You could if you could find a SACD authoring program, author your tracks, and then burn to DVD.

Unfortunately SACD authoring programs were strictly professional software and not available to the consumer.

If someone out there has got their hands on one, I'd love to hear from them.

Interestingly enough, Sony at one point tried to launch an easy standard to create DSD discs.

DSD discs are not SACD discs but they are close to what you want.

http://dsd-guide.com/sonys-dsd-disc-format-specs

You would basically have a root folder called DSD_DISC and then you drop your ,dsf files into that.

Burn the files to DVD-R or +R with UDF 1.02 (just like a DVD).

Very simple.  I made one once as an experiment and it works.

The catch is that such a disc format is only recognized by the PS3 (and a few other obscure Sony SACD player models).

Most people rip their SACDs to get away from little shinny discs, not to create more.

But if DSD discs played on more players I would make some more myself.

Teac PD-501 CD player doesn't read SACDs but can read dsf files burned to a DVD-R

(and will play them as DSD, without PCM conversion)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hello, Thanks to everybody who helped with this. I successfully ripped 8 SACDs using a Sony S100 player, but after the 8th rip, now all i get is the following error in ISO2DSD.

Response result non-zero or disc opened
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.169:2002 for reading

Has anybody encountered this? I can't figure out anything that would have changed. Thank you for the help!