IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

22 minutes ago, djoel said:

Sorry to disturb the on going conversation if someone is selling their Oppo player please let me know.

Thanks

Danny

21 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Gentlemen, I have an Oppo 103d for sale. $400. 1226 FW. 

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Once I've managed to rip these track from the sacd's can I then just transfer the DSD files to my hi-res sony Walkman? I mean there isn't any further conversion or processing required is there?

The directions in my guide result in ripping an .iso, which is a SACD disc image, one big file.

Some programs (like J. River) can play that .iso file and discern the individual tracks.

If you want to have individual .dsd track files, you can use the freeware program iso2DSD on either Windows or a Mac to extract them from the .iso.

I think the Windows based Foobar 2000 plug-in for SACD will also extract DSD files from a SACD .iso.

If you need to convert from DSD to PCM, there are other programs.

This subject is well covered in this thread and elsewhere on CA.

9 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The directions in my guide result in ripping an .iso, which is a SACD disc image, one big file.

Some programs (like J. River) can play that .iso file and discern the individual tracks.

If you want to have individual .dsd track files, you can use the freeware program iso2DSD on either Windows or a Mac to extract them from the .iso.

I think the Windows based Foobar 2000 plug-in for SACD will also extract DSD files from a SACD .iso.

If you need to convert from DSD to PCM, there are other programs.

This subject is well covered in this thread and elsewhere on CA.

Will "sacd_ectract_160 -s" make the product of ripping become dsf files of the tracks?

Will "sacd_extract_160 -s" make the product of ripping become dsf files of the tracks?

Yes, that will output the rip as Sony DSF files.  (See the options commands below.)

The conventional wisdom has been that it is best to rip .iso-s because you are sure to get all the tracks (stereo and multichannel) and because that way you will have less wear and tear on the ripping drive, since you can process the .iso files on the computer later with iso2DSD (which contains the same code for extracting).

But the option is there to rip directly to .dsf files.

Usage: sacd_extract_160 [options] [outfile]
  -2, --2ch-tracks                : Export two channel tracks (default)
  -m, --mch-tracks                : Export multi-channel tracks
  -e, --output-dsdiff-em          : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file
  -p, --output-dsdiff             : output as Philips DSDIFF file
  -s, --output-dsf                : output as Sony DSF file
  -t, --select-track              : only output selected track(s) (ex. -t 1,5,13)
  -I, --output-iso                : output as RAW ISO
  -c, --convert-dst               : convert DST to DSD
  -C, --export-cue                : Export a CUE Sheet
  -i, --input[=FILE]              : set source and determine if "iso" image,
                                    device or server (ex. -i 192.168.1.10:2002)
  -P, --print                     : display disc and track information
  -S, --server-mode               : start in a server mode

I am new to this forum and extremely appreciative of the information - finally a way to rip and then stream my SACDs through Plex next to my DVD-A, DTS, Blu-ray Audio rips which all work flawlessly!

I was able to get a Sony BDP-S590 (M12 R.0430) from ebay and it functions correctly.  I wiped a USB drive and placed the 3 files in an AutoScript folder -> AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract. The drive causes the tray to eject, I put in the SACD, it is read and sits ready to play. I launch iso2dsd_gui.exe from my PC and the error comes up:

Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.45:2002 for reading

The player shows up in my "Other Devices" network view and the IP addresses matches above. I am able to ping the address.

With so many mixed entries and directions, can someone attempt to make a quick list of directions (and updated links) for this model player?

6 minutes ago, vhrocks1 said:

The drive causes the tray to eject, I put in the SACD, it is read and sits ready to play. I launch iso2dsd_gui.exe from my PC and the error comes up:

Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.45:2002 for reading

The solution to your problem is in @Phthalocyanine‘s guide for the S590. I think there’s a link to it somewhere one the 1st post. Basically you have to trick the player into unmounting the disk. Go into Music Settings and toggle the Stereo vs Multichannel setting *before* you run sacd_extract_160 be that directly or via a GUI front end. 

@vhrocks1

I can send you my guide but it is focused on the telnet "local ripping" method as opposed to the "server" method, which is what you are attempting.  But the Sony will work just as well with the "server" method.

@Dick Darlington is correct that you need to do the Sony "work-around" right before you hit that button on iso2dsd to commence the rip.  That work-around will be covered in my guide.

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@vhrocks1

I can send you my guide but it is focused on the telnet "local ripping" method as opposed to the "server" method, which is what you are attempting.  But the Sony will work just as well with the "server" method.

@Dick Darlington is correct that you need to do the Sony "work-around" right before you hit that button on iso2dsd to commence the rip.  That work-around will be covered in my guide.

4 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

The solution to your problem is in @Phthalocyanine‘s guide for the S590. I think there’s a link to it somewhere one the 1st post. Basically you have to trick the player into unmounting the disk. Go into Music Settings and toggle the Stereo vs Multichannel setting *before* you run sacd_extract_160 be that directly or via a GUI front end. 

Thank you both for the quick response! The toggle makes sense, that was a piece I was missing. However, I think I have the wrong folder versions on the USB drive. Can you provide the link to the correct ones (there seem to be multiple throughout this thread)? 

Since they re-did the server on CA, I don't know where all the links are in this thread anymore.

Why do you think you have the wrong folders?  You got the tray to open, so something is working.

Open the autoscript files in Notepad or another text editor and post the contents back here.

Also check the contents of the autoscript files against the contents listed in the appendix of the guide.

Guest skepitcal

Problem: Your nice shiny commercial hybrid sacd plays fine on your Sony BDP-Sxxx player but sacd_extract_160 fails to rip, complaining

libsacdread: Not a ScarletBook disc!
libsacdread: Can't read Master TOC.

Solution: Your player is reading the CD layer!

• do [Setup > Music Settings > Super Audio CD Playback Layer = Super Audio CD]
  • eject and reload the disc

After scratching my head over this for days, compiling and running linux arm6 binaries to run on the player for debugging, and scouring raw data dumps of 'problem' sacds throwing this error, I had a sudden D'OH moment (as opposed to AHA! alas):  If the player is set to read the CD Layer, then of course it's reading the CD layer :-P. This setting is irrelevant for single-layer sacds ('obviously' he says), which is why all my prior rips were good until I got to the hybrid Bob Dylan box set.

Guest skepitcal

PS geeky details:  sacd_extract_160 throws this error and bails out when it can't read the marker   SACDMTOC at the expected TOC location (offset 0xff000, which is the beginning of sector 510. arithmetic: 2048 bytes per sector x 510 sectors = 1044480 = 0xff000 in hexadecimal representation). You can verify this via the telnet console by reading and dumping the relevant bytes from the disc drive (/dev/sr0), e.g using hybrid 2ch Blue Trane (724354157 2 5):

• set playback layer to CD
  • eject and reload

# hexdump -C -s 0xff000 -n 48 /dev/sr0

000ff000  b4 05 dd 0e ee 06 84 0f  18 08 71 10 db 08 c7 10  |..........q.....|
000ff010  b3 09 96 11 cb 09 51 11  1b 0a da 11 eb 09 7d 11  |......Q.......}.|
000ff020  bb 09 27 11 9a 09 6e 11  2f 09 e2 10 8a 09 96 11  |..'...n./.......|
000ff030

nothing to see, let's try the sacd layer....

• set playback layer to SACD
  • eject and reload

# hexdump -C -s 0xff000 -n 48 /dev/sr0

000ff000  53 41 43 44 4d 54 4f 43  01 14 00 00 00 00 00 00  |SACDMTOC........|
000ff010  00 01 00 01 00 00 00 00  30 37 32 34 33 35 34 31  |........07243541|
000ff020  37 35 37 35 30 20 20 20  01 00 00 0e 00 00 00 00  |75750   ........|
000ff030

note that the catalog number usually shows up here too, starting at the last 7 characters of the second line.

20 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Since they re-did the server on CA, I don't know where all the links are in this thread anymore.

Why do you think you have the wrong folders?  You got the tray to open, so something is working.

Open the autoscript files in Notepad or another text editor and post the contents back here.

Also check the contents of the autoscript files against the contents listed in the appendix of the guide.

One step forward, two steps back...I copy/pasted into all the files as shown. Now, the tray didn't automatically open. I manually opened it, inserted disc, and toggled the setting. I used telnet and got the following:

image.thumb.png.0de29c41a8f459ec0a5d2467ac1d4b4f.png

I then tried ISODSD, and got the same:

image.thumb.png.23f543baa135e6efe9720d317f849746.png

Any additional tips are appreciated, great weekend to all!

I'm not exactly sure what you did in each case.

The first one, the telnet session actually looks like what it looks like when it is ripping.  But I don't understand why you put a ? before the command.

You can't mix and match "local' ripping to a USB stick with the server method, which rips to a networked computer.

You need to pick one method and work at getting it to work.

Since you can telnet and get root control, you can go back and try to follow my guide again.

12 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I'm not exactly sure what you did in each case.

The first one, the telnet session actually looks like what it looks like when it is ripping.  But I don't understand why you put a ? before the command.

You can't mix and match "local' ripping to a USB stick with the server method, which rips to a networked computer.

You need to pick one method and work at getting it to work.

Since you can telnet and get root control, you can go back and try to follow my guide again.

Bingo! Good eyes, apparently the copy/paste replaced the - with ?

I manually typed in the command and now I'm golden.

Thanks again for the continued help!

image.thumb.png.d262d5394ed360f9c3e641f1a977478c.png

I just got a sony BPD-S590

The firmware it came with is M12.R.0510

I don't know if I have firmware compatibility issues but I simply can't telnet into it.

I tried using the auto script files Dick Darling-ton had and changed the inetd to telnetd.

No Dice tried using both front and rear ports, have formatted both fat32 and ntfs

The player sees the pny thumb drive in either port and adds a folder "buda"

I think when I insert in the back.

tried using both putty on windows and telnet on ubuntu

can ping the dvd player

where am I going wrong?

Using all the great information here I have been successfully ripping sacds on my Pioneer BDP-80FD.  One problem I have noticed is a glitch within the first 10 seconds  and the last 10 seconds of each track.  Doing a search on this I found that there is a known issue when converting the iso to dsf files using sacd_extract versions earlier than 0.38.  I found v.0.38 and replaced the version I had in the ripping directory on my pc.  I re-ripped an sacd and have the same glitches even when playing the iso using jriver. This tells me that the glitch isn't because of the conversion.  Has anyone else had this issue? Does anything have to be done with the sacd_extract_160 on the usb drive used in the player?  

Thanks to the BDP-S590 user guide, I was able to rip over 35 SACDs successfully including one using the special character substitution method. There have only been 3 which did not work after a couple attempts with restarting. The completed MB count goes up and then freezes at a specific spot. All discs are clear with no scratches or smudges.

Roger Waters - In The Flesh (disc 1 freezes at 78% and disc 2 80%)

Heart - Alive In Seattle (disc 2 29%)

image.thumb.png.a5047d44f4dd3c959a3877cc33936c78.png

Anyone else have this happen?

Anyone else have this happen?

Never had that happen and I don't have either of the discs in question.

Let me point out that the size of the rip reported at 80% is quite strange: 5438.0 MB and 6749.8 MB.

Either of those is larger than the size of a single-sided DVD (around 4700 MB) which is what I thought was the size limit for a SACD disc.

Certainly a double-layer DVD can be larger (around 7000 MB) and a double-layer SACD is theoretically possible.

Given that this album has multichannel, maybe it is double-layer disc because it needs that much room.

Simple fix questions:

USB drive formatted in NTFS (not fat 32) for rips over 4 GB?

Is there enough room on your USB drive for these very large sized rips?