IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

One important thing I learned trying to do your method is to warn beginners to make sure that the "quick start" setting is OFF.

With "quick start" on, the player never really shuts down and it is hard to start from scratch if something goes wrong in the ripping process.  Most importantly, with "quick start" on, the USB drive keeps getting re-named sdb1, sdc1, sdef, etc. every time you reinsert it and you can't get it back to sda1, which you need for the stock scripts.  (I understand now why you wrote that special script.)

I've heard this happening from people but never really understood what was going on. 

I never had a problem with that because I always turn off, first thing, any quick start modes because I'm an energy miser and do not want my devices sucking up power all the time if they don't have to.

Firstly, apologies for the length of this post. In desperation I am being completely exhaustive about my process, in the hope that somebody can spot the fatal flaw. I am reasonably adept at low level technological manipulation – but not at all familiar with networking.

This is my second serious attempt to get this to work – regular followers of this thread may remember my previous attempts.

My Oppo 103 is hardwired into my LAN. I have manually set the IP address (192.1 68.1.116), turned off Auto Play and Auto Resume.

I opened the command prompt on my computer (Windows 10, 64-bit, latest update), and pinged the Oppo player – successfully. I opened Network within Windows Explorer, and confirmed that the Oppo player appeared under media devices, and that the IP address was correct.

I opened the relevant dropbox, and downloaded the contents of both the AutoScript and sacd_extract folders. (I tried downloading them both to my dropbox account, and directly, just in case. But (as expected) when I checked the contents they were identical, and as specified in the instructions.)

I prepared an 8 GB USB stick: used Bootice to create a new MBR, and then formatted the drive to FAT32. (I’m not sure whether the MBR is really necessary, but by now I was ready to try anything). I then created an AutoScript folder, and put the three files that I had downloaded into that folder.

I created a new 5ACD folder on the D drive of my computer (560 GB free), into which I placed iso2dsd_gui.exe; sacd_extract.exe and sacd.cmd. I opened sacd.cmd in notebook and modified the IP address to 192.168.1.116 to correspond to the IP address of the Oppo player, and saved it.

Now it reads:

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.116:2002 -P -I

I ran iso2dsd_gui.exe as an administrator, and selected server input, modified the IP address/port to read 192.168.1.116:2002; selected dual channel mode and Sony DSF output mode.

Leaving ISO2DSD open on my computer, I went to my Oppo player. I turned it off, then turned it on again. I inserted the USB stick, and after a couple of seconds the tray opened. I put an SACD disc in (in fact I tried a number of them to check whether there was a problem with a particular disc); both extracted/did not extract the USB stick; closed the drawer; observed the display go to SACD, and then HOME MENU. [I wondered whether going to HOME MENU is a sign that something hasn’t worked?]

I went back to my computer and clicked on ‘execute’ within the ISO2DSD program. The execute button greyed out for a couple of seconds, and then came back on. Nothing was ripped.

So I tried clicking on sacd.cmd within D:\5ACD. A command window opens with the appropriate instruction

D:\5ACD> sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.116:2002 -P -I

and almost immediately a window opens saying that

sacd_extract.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

So now I am at a loss – no idea what to try next. Any thoughts?

By the way: I do notice that if I push play on the Oppo, the disc plays. Is this correct? I thought that perhaps the operating system for the Oppo would have been replaced temporarily by the auto script files, and that this shouldn’t work – but I have no idea.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this, and running it through your brain cells.

GT in OZ

Digital = Personally built fanless and battery-powered Windows Server 2012 running JPlay + JRiver, Tidal and Roon (in that order) through JCat USB card to MSB Reference DAC with Quad USB and Analogue inputs + UMT for discs:

Analogue = Rebuilt Linn Sondek + Radikal with Woodsong base, Sole VIII sub-Chassis plus armboard, Tiger Paw Khan + Tranquility; Origin Live Conqueror IIIc: Acoustical Systems Archon cartridge; AudioNet PAM G2 + EPS G2:

d'Agostino M400 stereo pair amplifiers plus Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

Speaking as somebody who's been backing-up their SACD's using the 'AutoScript' folder and 'Sonore iso2dvd' method since Aug 2016, it's  got me wondering....

Might it be technically possible for other exploits to be created for backing-up say, regular audio CD's, DVD-A's, movie DVD's or even Blu-ray discs?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 

My Network Layout and A/V Gear
10 minutes ago, SeeMoreDigital said:

Might it be technically possible for other exploits to be created for backing-up say, regular audio CD's, DVD-A's, movie DVD's or even Blu-ray discs?

You don't need any exploit for those. Just a BluRay drive attached to your computer. The only problem might be decrypting the contents from BluRay disks, but there are ways too.

49 minutes ago, wanthalf said:

You don't need any exploit for those. Just a BluRay drive attached to your computer....

Personally... I'm already doing this. I'm just interested to know if it's "technically" possible to extract data from other types of discs too?!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 

still not getting what you are asking :|

there already are (easy) ways to rip CDs, DVDs and DVD-As. BluRay too, I guess (never tried as I have no need to)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Mmm. I did mention turning off AutoPlay actually. I will check and try turning off MY Network. Thanks.

GT in OZ

Digital = Personally built fanless and battery-powered Windows Server 2012 running JPlay + JRiver, Tidal and Roon (in that order) through JCat USB card to MSB Reference DAC with Quad USB and Analogue inputs + UMT for discs:

Analogue = Rebuilt Linn Sondek + Radikal with Woodsong base, Sole VIII sub-Chassis plus armboard, Tiger Paw Khan + Tranquility; Origin Live Conqueror IIIc: Acoustical Systems Archon cartridge; AudioNet PAM G2 + EPS G2:

4 hours ago, SeeMoreDigital said:

Personally... I'm already doing this. I'm just interested to know if it's "technically" possible to extract data from other types of discs too?!

It may be technically possible, but since there are simple options for doing this on a regular computer already, it's not worth spending the time on trying to figure it out.  I'd also rather put the wear and tear of ripping media on a cheap drive that's easy to replace in my PC.

I'm just interested to know if it's "technically" possible to extract data from other types of discs too?!

@SeeMoreDigital

Yes it is possible.  On a S590 in which you have root control, you can use the Linux commands to copy files from a DVD or BD in the optical drive to a USB drive .  I've done it as an experiment.

But here's the problem and why it is no big deal.  For copy-protected discs You're just copying encrypted data.  To rip these discs in the sense of getting useful data you need a de-encryption program.  That's what SACD_extract is doing.  It's not just copying the data, it is de-encrypting it.   There are de-encrypting programs for DVD and BD, but they all run on computer platforms.  Could someone devise  a DVD de-encryption program to run on a rooted S590?  Maybe, but what a lot of work for nothing because you can already more easily run them on computers with optical drives now.

With root control of these players you've got root control of an optical drive that plays SACD, CD, DVD, and BD.  But when you have a BD combo drive in your computer you also have root control of a drive that can read DVD, CD, and BD.  And you also have a software platform on which you can run de-encryption prrograms.

The reason people have spent all this time getting root control of these BD players that play SACD is that unlike BD, DVD, and CD, there has never been a computer-attachable SACD drive available.  You could never attach a SACD drive to a computer and run an de-encryption program, even if you had devised a de-encryption program.

This is why the first break-through for SACD ripping came with the Play Station 3 (PS3), for which some early models could read SACD.  With the PS3 you had a SACD-reading optical drive attached to something that was basically a computer.  Once they devised a program for de-encrypting the SACD discs, the program could be run on a hacked PS3.

This next generation of SACD ripping (on some Oppo, Pioneer, and Sony BD players) depends on several factors that turn these players into de facto computers for de-encrypting/ripping SACD discs.  1. They have networking capability which makes it possible to send commands and move data over a network. 2.  They have a rudimentary computer operating system (a stripped-down version of Linux) on which one can run a SACD de-encryption program (SACD_extract). and 3. they have optical drives that can read SACD discs.  It is only Factor 3 that is so hard to find for SACD discs.

I was hoping to have a capability of ripping SACDs at some point and teb_b was able to help me with my collection the last time.  But when the list of compatible players then included the Sony S590, I thought, "I've seen one of those before".  And sure enough, my parents still had there's from when i bought it for them years ago.  So now I have it again and will begin trying out ripping method.  Thanks to everyone here who helped figure this out.

On 4/21/2018 at 6:53 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

One important thing I learned trying to do your method is to warn beginners to make sure that the "quick start" setting is OFF.

With "quick start" on, the player never really shuts down and it is hard to start from scratch if something goes wrong in the ripping process.  Most importantly, with "quick start" on, the USB drive keeps getting re-named sdb1, sdc1, sdef, etc. every time you reinsert it and you can't get it back to sda1, which you need for the stock scripts.  (I understand now why you wrote that special script.)

The only problem left with that is that depending on the way USB flash drive is prepared, it can be mounted as /mnt/sda1 or /mnt/sda (I have seen this).  I think modification of the AutoScript like I mentioned before (copied below) will solve that problem and it provides the freedom of whether or not to enable the Quick Start Mode.

CLI(CLI_exec cp `ls -d /mnt/sd*`/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

15 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@SeeMoreDigital

Yes it is possible.  On a S590 in which you have root control, you can use the Linux commands to copy files from a DVD or BD in the optical drive to a USB drive .  I've done it as an experiment.

But here's the problem and why it is no big deal.  For copy-protected discs You're just copying encrypted data.  To rip these discs in the sense of getting useful data you need a de-encryption program.  That's what SACD_extract is doing.  It's not just copying the data, it is de-encrypting it....   

Hi @Phthalocyanine

Many thanks for the detailed response. Even though there are softwares available for decrypting other disc formats, it sounds like a lot of effort.

Cheers

On 4/21/2018 at 1:03 AM, Phthalocyanine said:

@mindset

Yes, I've used the Malcolm Stagg browser exploit to gain root control of an S590.  And once one has gained root control of the S590 (whatever the method) one can run the sacd_extract_160 on the S590 to rip SACDs.

But it's easier to use the Autoscript folder scripts to gain root control on a S590, so I've generally used that.

I understand that Stagg has a method for bundling software modifications within a firmware update (delivered through a customized CD upgrade disc), so one can permanently install those programs on the BD player, rather than having to use a USB stick to run the program, so that's what you mean by the USB-memory-less operation.  As you mention, this is not for the faint of heart, because if you get it wrong you can permanently brick your player.  And I've never done it.

In my experience, and in the experience of others who have posted, when using a S590 with the Autoscript folder scripts, one cannot simply use the same method as the Pioneer 160 because the Sony has no setting to disable automounting of the SACD.  So if you simply run sacd_extract_160 it will not work because the SACD is mounted and inaccessible to the ripping program.  You have to add a step where you "trick" the S590 into unmounting the disc, and this involves going to the music setting and switching the multichannel to stereo or vice versa just before running the sacd_extract_160 program.

If you've figured out a method to avoid that "work-around" step, that would be great, but I'm still not exactly sure the order of your steps.

And perhaps this only works because you modified your player permanently with the Stagg method.

Is your S5100 permanently modified too?  If not, does the Autoscript folder script exploits work for that or only the Stagg browser exploit?  And you can confirm that you've successfully ripped SACDs using sacd_extract_160 with a S5100?

OK, I think I'm 95% of the way there.

To recap, I have:

1.  Secured a S590 (latest firmware, so no, I can't do SACD-Rs)

2.  Already setup ISO2DSD on my Windows Server machine on my network (I know this works since i used it for extracting DSF files from the ISOs that others help me rip from my own collection last year.

3.  Made a USB stick and verified it works.  It's only 1 GB and I was intended to do a server rip.  With telnet from my Mac Pro, I can access the S590 and login as root.

4.  I don't have sacd_extract_160 since that hasn't been an obvious reference on where to download that (I have the sacd_extract which I think is specific to Oppo/Pioneer).  So where is that?

5.  I'm assuming that in order to get past the autoloading problem, I do this series of events:

a. Load a disc

b. Force an unmount in the Music option (Multi to 2 channel or vice versa)

c. Run sacd_extract_160 (root: /mnt/sda1/sacd_extract_160) or wherever the true mount point is

d. Run ISO2DSD on the Windows machine.  Right now it reports "Fail to connect" since I guess that sacd_extract_160 isn't running

Anything else i may have missed?

1 hour ago, Sevenfeet said:

OK, I think I'm 95% of the way there.

To recap, I have:

1.  Secured a S590 (latest firmware, so no, I can't do SACD-Rs)

2.  Already setup ISO2DSD on my Windows Server machine on my network (I know this works since i used it for extracting DSF files from the ISOs that others help me rip from my own collection last year.

3.  Made a USB stick and verified it works.  It's only 1 GB and I was intended to do a server rip.  With telnet from my Mac Pro, I can access the S590 and login as root.

4.  I don't have sacd_extract_160 since that hasn't been an obvious reference on where to download that (I have the sacd_extract which I think is specific to Oppo/Pioneer).  So where is that?

5.  I'm assuming that in order to get past the autoloading problem, I do this series of events:

a. Load a disc

b. Force an unmount in the Music option (Multi to 2 channel or vice versa)

c. Run sacd_extract_160 (root: /mnt/sda1/sacd_extract_160) or wherever the true mount point is

d. Run ISO2DSD on the Windows machine.  Right now it reports "Fail to connect" since I guess that sacd_extract_160 isn't running

Anything else i may have missed?

5 b. Try toggling from SACD to CD or vice versa.

@Sevenfeet

I think the following link will work for sacd_extract 160, which is the one you want for a Sony.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq273ebah/SACD-extract-BDP160.zip?dl=0

You quoted my discussion with @mindset over his "sleep"-server method.  I wouldn't use that as a guide for a beginner.

If you want to do the server method, you don't even need to do the telnet thing.  Look for the guides at the very beginning of this thread for the Pioneer 160 and the server method and follow that.  Then simply add in the "workaround" step (toggling the music setting multiichannel to Stereo or vice versa) before you hit the rip button in iso2DSD.

I'll send you our guide for the local ripping method too.

Following up. Disabled My Network as per One and a Half above (Autoplay and AutoResume were already off). Still no luck. D***!

GT in OZ