IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

First of all, thanks to everyone in this thread for the guidance on how to rip Sacd on  Mac High Sierra. Based on the recent comments, A Sony Bdp-bx59 (same as 590) arrives today, but I’m unsure about a couple of how-to details. So far, I’ve downloaded and installed the three files from ted’s July 21,2016 Dropbox onto an mbr/fat32 usb stick (in Autoscript folder at root). And, iso2dsd is ready inside a “Sacd” folder on the root of a large drive. My plan today is to select Server in iso2dsd, enter the Sony isp address, select stereo (my preference) and then start the rip.

So, am I missing anything? Do I have to mess with Telnet, etc? Will the  3 files from the July,21,2016 work for the Sony?

Thanks for your help!

select stereo (my preference)

Better to select .iso because you get everything on the disc.  You can sort out individual tracks from that rip later in iso2dsd (which is actually this program's original function.)

For server method you do not need to mess with Telnet.  Follow the guides for server method (originally made for the Pioneer 160) and add in the "workaround" step for the S590 just before you hit rip in iso2dsd, that is, in the music settings, toggle mutlichannel to stereo and vice versa.

15 minutes ago, Eric3 said:

First of all, thanks to everyone in this thread for the guidance on how to rip Sacd on  Mac High Sierra. Based on the recent comments, A Sony Bdp-bx59 (same as 590) arrives today, but I’m unsure about a couple of how-to details. So far, I’ve downloaded and installed the three files from ted’s July 21,2016 Dropbox onto an mbr/fat32 usb stick (in Autoscript folder at root). And, iso2dsd is ready inside a “Sacd” folder on the root of a large drive. My plan today is to select Server in iso2dsd, enter the Sony isp address, select stereo (my preference) and then start the rip.

So, am I missing anything? Do I have to mess with Telnet, etc? Will the  3 files from the July,21,2016 work for the Sony?

Thanks for your help!

I just got finished doing this.  Here's what I learned:

ISO2DSD is a Java app so if you don't have Java installed, go to Oracle's website and get it.

Your Autoscript and Autoscript.TSS files should look like this:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)
CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

Also in the same folder should the executable  "sacd_extract_160"

Insert the USB drive into the player, turn it on.  Once booting is finished, load a disc and go to the Music menu and change the layer from DSD 2 channel to Multi (or reverse that, it doesn't matter).  This forces the built in player to "dismount" the disc so that sacd_extract_160 can access it.

Then run ISO2DSD and point it to the IP address of the player (you did right that down earlier?).  It should work at that point.

4 hours ago, Eric3 said:

@Eric3, as you are doing this on a Mac you may want to be forewarned of a *potential* gotcha w/r/t the AutoScript file:  if you edit the file using TextEdit then there is high probability of it breaking insofar as the parser on the S590 is concerned. This due to line termination differences. Basically any time you hit Enter to create a new line, you will introduce a line termination that is not compatible with the player, which will “break” that line (or the next; I cannot recall ATM). Depending on what part of the file you’ve edited, the script may work fine; may not work at all; or do the evil thing of both working and not working: e.g. the tray ejects but you can’t connect with sacd_extract/iso2dsd. It can be quite maddening and promote profuse Scotch consumption as you bang your head against the troubleshooting wall. Or so I’ve heard. Basically the Mac edited file may look exactly the same as the working file on a character by character comparison in TextEdit; but they are different as evidenced by the difference in physical file size. 

I’ve made copious notes on the specifics of the line termination issue (which AFAIK is most likely to bite Mac users), but I don’t have those with me ... okay full disclosure... but I’m too preoccupied with acoustic happy hour at the pub to search my cloud storage for said notes ATM.  

So just beware: TextEdit may be harmful to your AutoScript health. 

Good of luck and may The Force be with you!  

Well, I got my Sony to rip SACDs this afternoon on the Sony 590 I just received!  Special thanks to Sevenfeet for the tip about changing the music layer on the player itself before clicking execute in iso2dsd. It was no go without that step (I was mistakenly toggling channel mode on the iso2dsd menu instead of in the player).  So, for others who want as simple a journey as possible, here are a few tips I had to follow (drawing on the good work of many in this thread) for the Sony BDP-590 under Mac OS High Sierra:

1. Make a USB stick that has the Master Boot Record/Fat32 format. You'll need to use Windows (I had to use the Command prompt and then DiskPart to get this format). 

2. Use SACD_Extract_160 in the Autoscript folder, not the generic SACD_Extract.

3. After loading the SACD in the player, make sure you toggle the music layer from whatever setting is already there in Music Settings.

4. Make sure the USB stick is inserted in the player before you turn it on and make the change to the music settings in number 3 above.

5. It's OK to use the ISO2DSD menu for simplicity. Just select "Server", enter the ISP for the player, make your other menu selections and then "Execute."

4 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

@Eric3, as you are doing this on a Mac you may want to be forewarned of a *potential* gotcha w/r/t the AutoScript file:  if you edit the file using TextEdit then there is high probability of it breaking insofar as the parser on the S590 is concerned. This due to line termination differences. Basically any time you hit Enter to create a new line, you will introduce a line termination that is not compatible with the player, which will “break” that line (or the next; I cannot recall ATM). Depending on what part of the file you’ve edited, the script may work fine; may not work at all; or do the evil thing of both working and not working: e.g. the tray ejects but you can’t connect with sacd_extract/iso2dsd. It can be quite maddening and promote profuse Scotch consumption as you bang your head against the troubleshooting wall. Or so I’ve heard. Basically the Mac edited file may look exactly the same as the working file on a character by character comparison in TextEdit; but they are different as evidenced by the difference in physical file size. 

I’ve made copious notes on the specifics of the line termination issue (which AFAIK is most likely to bite Mac users), but I don’t have those with me ... okay full disclosure... but I’m too preoccupied with acoustic happy hour at the pub to search my cloud storage for said notes ATM.  

So just beware: TextEdit may be harmful to your AutoScript health. 

Good of luck and may The Force be with you!  

Is this still a Mac problem (text files line termination)?  I'm old enough to remember when there were specific differences between a text file line termination between Mac, Unixes and Windows, which were all different (back in the 80s and 90s).  One was a carriage return, one was a line feed and a third was a line feed+carriage return.  This generally hasn't been a problem in a very long time, especially since OS X which is a Unix derivitive. 

1 hour ago, Eric3 said:

Well, I got my Sony to rip SACDs this afternoon on the Sony 590 I just received!  Special thanks to Sevenfeet for the tip about changing the music layer on the player itself before clicking execute in iso2dsd. It was no go without that step (I was mistakenly toggling channel mode on the iso2dsd menu instead of in the player).  So, for others who want as simple a journey as possible, here are a few tips I had to follow (drawing on the good work of many in this thread) for the Sony BDP-590 under Mac OS High Sierra:

1. Make a USB stick that has the Master Boot Record/Fat32 format. You'll need to use Windows (I had to use the Command prompt and then DiskPart to get this format). 

2. Use SACD_Extract_160 in the Autoscript folder, not the generic SACD_Extract.

3. After loading the SACD in the player, make sure you toggle the music layer from whatever setting is already there in Music Settings.

4. Make sure the USB stick is inserted in the player before you turn it on and make the change to the music settings in number 3 above.

5. It's OK to use the ISO2DSD menu for simplicity. Just select "Server", enter the ISP for the player, make your other menu selections and then "Execute."

Glad to help.  For me, the hard part was figuring out I needed to use the version of Autoscript/Autoscript.TSS that executed sacd_extract_160 with the -S "server mode" flag.  This sets up the player to accept remote access commands directly to sacd_extract_160 from another computer on your LAN. Originally I was using the local USB storage version of these files which launches inetd and telnetd.  That's fun since you can telnet directly into the player and monkey around but I'd rather rip to a PC/Mac and not a USB drive.

I had a USB stick formatted already for Master Boot Record.  It's an older one with just 1 GB of storage, but since I'm not ripping to the USB stick, I don't need to worry about running out of room.

Toggling between DSD Multi and 2 channel (or vice versa) is just to force the player to "unmount" the SACD that you load so that sacd_extract_160 can access it.  Otherwise if you don't, the player itself will take over the optical drive and not allow the extract program access to the disc.  It's a little hack but a necessary one.

@Sevenfeet, if you’re old enough to remember Bewitched, it’s like “old Darren” and “new Darren”. The old Mac OS used one type of line termination and the newer iterations use another. I *think* the latter is the same as unix and the former was a single character termination that was not the same as MSDOS. The point is that New Darren is the same as Unix and yet that’s not what works for the S590 if not others. Current macOS is the same as Unix/Linux afaik and yet it is the Windows style line termination that the S590 wants. 

It seems opposite sauce to me but I can can assure you that if you type up an AutoScript file using TextEdit on the Mac it will not work but if you do it via Notepad on Windows it will. I can no ‘splain but it is what it is as they say. 

RE My Network (on Oppo 103) - if it's 'Off' then I can't access the Oppo via 'Network' in Windows Explorer, which seems to block the rest of the process.

GT in OZ

Digital = Personally built fanless and battery-powered Windows Server 2012 running JPlay + JRiver, Tidal and Roon (in that order) through JCat USB card to MSB Reference DAC with Quad USB and Analogue inputs + UMT for discs:

Analogue = Rebuilt Linn Sondek + Radikal with Woodsong base, Sole VIII sub-Chassis plus armboard, Tiger Paw Khan + Tranquility; Origin Live Conqueror IIIc: Acoustical Systems Archon cartridge; AudioNet PAM G2 + EPS G2:

d'Agostino M400 stereo pair amplifiers plus Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

12 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

@Sevenfeet, if you’re old enough to remember Bewitched, it’s like “old Darren” and “new Darren”. The old Mac OS used one type of line termination and the newer iterations use another. I *think* the latter is the same as unix and the former was a single character termination that was not the same as MSDOS. The point is that New Darren is the same as Unix and yet that’s not what works for the S590 if not others. Current macOS is the same as Unix/Linux afaik and yet it is the Windows style line termination that the S590 wants. 

It seems opposite sauce to me but I can can assure you that if you type up an AutoScript file using TextEdit on the Mac it will not work but if you do it via Notepad on Windows it will. I can no ‘splain but it is what it is as they say. 

Sadly, old enough to remember "Bewitched" but young enough for it to be in reruns in the 70s. :)

And yes, I get the problems of line termination.  It's just that I haven't had to deal with it since the 90s.

14 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

Glad to help.  For me, the hard part was figuring out I needed to use the version of Autoscript/Autoscript.TSS that executed sacd_extract_160 with the -S "server mode" flag.  This sets up the player to accept remote access commands directly to sacd_extract_160 from another computer on your LAN. Originally I was using the local USB storage version of these files which launches inetd and telnetd.  That's fun since you can telnet directly into the player and monkey around but I'd rather rip to a PC/Mac and not a USB drive.

I had a USB stick formatted already for Master Boot Record.  It's an older one with just 1 GB of storage, but since I'm not ripping to the USB stick, I don't need to worry about running out of room.

Toggling between DSD Multi and 2 channel (or vice versa) is just to force the player to "unmount" the SACD that you load so that sacd_extract_160 can access it.  Otherwise if you don't, the player itself will take over the optical drive and not allow the extract program access to the disc.  It's a little hack but a necessary one.

This makes sense as to why I can successfully rip via the local USB method (Phthalocyanine), but was unsuccessful when it came to doing it via ISO2DSD on my Mac.  Do you have the Autoscript version w/ the -s command in line?

25 minutes ago, turnstile said:

This makes sense as to why I can successfully rip via the local USB method (Phthalocyanine), but was unsuccessful when it came to doing it via ISO2DSD on my Mac.  Do you have the Autoscript version w/ the -s command in line?

This is the reference copy I have that works for the Sony. I cannot recall whether the Sony wants the TSS extension whereas the Oppo does not or the converse but then you already know that if you’re doing local ripping so adjust as required. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4ho1cch1yeotag/AutoScript.TSS?dl=0

4 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

This is the reference copy I have that works for the Sony. I cannot recall whether the Sony wants the TSS extension whereas the Oppo does not or the converse but then you already know that if you’re doing local ripping so adjust as required. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4ho1cch1yeotag/AutoScript.TSS?dl=0

PS: the line where it loads the splitter kernel object doesn’t seem to be required for the Sony as far as I can tell. Maybe I’m missing something but I didn’t notice anything going awry when I deleted it. Presumably it is required or beneficial in some way for the Pioneers for which the AutoScript was originally created for. ??‍♂️

Presumably it is required or beneficial in some way for the Pioneers for which the AutoScript was originally created for.

Interesting that you got the Sony to work without it.

My sense, based on what was discussed on this thread early on, is that the Pioneer needed this line (as compared to the Oppo 103/105, which were only other BD players known to work with the exploit at the time) because the Pioneer had less memory and needed this line to help buffer the rip.

The following is the memory info returned on a Sony S590.

For those folks who better understand such things, how does its memory capabilities compare to the Pioneer 160 etc and/or the Oppo 103, 105?

~ # cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:         353572 kB
MemFree:          229604 kB
Buffers:            7392 kB
Cached:            28660 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            39528 kB
Inactive:          40580 kB
Active(anon):      22200 kB
Inactive(anon):    22352 kB
Active(file):      17328 kB
Inactive(file):    18228 kB
Unevictable:           8 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
SwapTotal:             0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:                 0 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:         44092 kB
Mapped:            19960 kB
Shmem:               488 kB
Slab:               5496 kB
SReclaimable:       1496 kB
SUnreclaim:         4000 kB
KernelStack:        2528 kB
PageTables:         1364 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:      176784 kB
Committed_AS:    1068156 kB
VmallocTotal:     385024 kB
VmallocUsed:       20256 kB
VmallocChunk:     337988 kB

20 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The following is the memory info returned on a Sony S590.

For those folks who better understand such things, how does its memory capabilities compare to the Pioneer 160 etc and/or the Oppo 103, 105?

Here's the memory info taken from my Oppo 103.  Obviously telnet was already running but I grabbed memory stats from both before and after launching sacd_extract in server mode:

Oppo 103 Memory Info

Before running sacd_extract:

-sh-3.2# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:         316356 kB
MemFree:          161484 kB
Buffers:           13912 kB
Cached:            22660 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            40592 kB
Inactive:          48052 kB
Active(anon):      25520 kB
Inactive(anon):    26552 kB
Active(file):      15072 kB
Inactive(file):    21500 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
SwapTotal:             0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:                 0 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:         52032 kB
Mapped:            12056 kB
Shmem:                 0 kB
Slab:               5828 kB
SReclaimable:       1708 kB
SUnreclaim:         4120 kB
KernelStack:        2296 kB
PageTables:         1112 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:      158176 kB
Committed_AS:     523448 kB
VmallocTotal:     385024 kB
VmallocUsed:       32388 kB
VmallocChunk:     322244 kB

After running sacd_extract in server mode:

MemTotal:         316356 kB
MemFree:          160464 kB
Buffers:           13812 kB
Cached:            22752 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            42044 kB
Inactive:          47824 kB
Active(anon):      26752 kB
Inactive(anon):    26552 kB
Active(file):      15292 kB
Inactive(file):    21272 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
SwapTotal:             0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:                 0 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:         53304 kB
Mapped:            12216 kB
Shmem:                 0 kB
Slab:               5856 kB
SReclaimable:       1712 kB
SUnreclaim:         4144 kB
KernelStack:        2304 kB
PageTables:         1144 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:      158176 kB
Committed_AS:     549640 kB
VmallocTotal:     385024 kB
VmallocUsed:       32388 kB
VmallocChunk:     322244 kB

21 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Interesting that you got the Sony to work without it.

My sense, based on what was discussed on this thread early on, is that the Pioneer needed this line (as compared to the Oppo 103/105, which were only other BD players known to work with the exploit at the time) because the Pioneer had less memory and needed this line to help buffer the rip.

Well it is what I *thought* I remembered explicitly testing for and concluding a few months back, but then again after all the bouncing around between the two players and all of the different things I was attempting to nail down, I figured I should double check to be certain and avoid adding another brick in the inadvertent misinformation wall. So...

I just ripped an SACD ISO over the network from my S590 using an AutoScript.TSS file that definitely did not have the splitter kernel object line present.  The rip went fine and seemed perfectly normal to me.  It started at around 1.9 MB/Sec and began climbing from there.  The final average reported by ISO2DSD was 2.39 MB/Sec, which surely would have been higher had the image not been on the small side.  It was only about 1.9 GB.

OTOH I have no reason to think the inclusion of the "insmod" line causes any harm even if it has no appreciable benefit.  The point being that I'm certainly not recommending it be removed for S590 targeted scripts; it's just that I don't use it myself.

MISINFORMATION ALERT

Severity: MODERATE

Offender:  @Dick Darlington

Offense:  Dissemination of fake news w/r/t AutoScript file name requirements for Oppo and Sony S590 players

Inculpatory Evidence:  see quoted SigInt below

22 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

Disposition:  Convicted.  Sentence of 40 hours of listing to 128 kbps MP3 music ripped from low dynamic range CDs reduced to slap on wrist, specifically a timely release of an evidence based retraction/correction. 

"The above statement, which implies that neither the Oppo nor the Sony player is compatible with both the '.TSS' and extension-less AutoScript file name is patently false.  In actual fact, the name 'AutoScript.TSS' is accepted by and works correctly with BOTH players whereas the extension-less form, 'AutoScript', works on the Sony S590 but will not work on the Oppo 103.  Put another way:  the Sony S590 does not care about the TSS extension or lack thereof whereas the Oppo 103 requires it."

Comparison of the processor memory on the known SACD-ripping BD player models (in kilobytes?)

Sony BDP-S590 MemTotal: 353572 kB  

Oppo 103 MemTotal:         316356 kB

Sony BDP-S390 MemTotal:         261532 kB

Pioneer BDP-170 MemTotal:  235388 kB

The Pioneer number is taken from an on-line posting.  If anyone who actually has a Pioneer wants to confirm this that would be great.

So this makes basic sense that the Pioneer actually has the lowest memory and needs a special line to help it buffer the SACD rips.

The Sony S390 is low too, so it might need it as well.  I haven't tested it without the line.

I did notice that the Sony S390 boots up noticeably slower than the S590, reflecting the lesser memory.

4 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The Sony S390 is low too, so it might need it as well.  I haven't tested it without the line.

I have never needed to insmod splitter.ko on S390.  However, it doesn't mean it's not needed.  The fact is that splitter.ko is already inserted by something before the AutoScript is run.  Therefore, when AutoScript tries to insert it, it just fails to do so and just moves on.

As a proof,

One can manually remove splitter.ko from the kernel by:
rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko

then the player will not be able to rip (the whole player will freeze when ripping starts).

3 hours ago, mindset said:

I have never needed to insmod splitter.ko on S390.  However, it doesn't mean it's not needed.  The fact is that splitter.ko is already inserted by something before the AutoScript is run.  Therefore, when AutoScript tries to insert it, it just fails to do so and just moves on.

Correction.  It looks like the main player program (bdpprog) inserts splitter.ko when a disc is inserted.  I see this in the output of bdpprog upon disc insertion:

[NOTIFY] send_notification:0x3ff
[DRV_INIT_PROG] driver_notify, argc:2
[DRV_INIT_PROG] vDriverInit, level:2
[DRV_INIT_PROG] vDriverInit, to insert splitter module!
[DRV_INIT_PROG] vDriverInit, insert splitter module!
[DRV_INIT_PROG] insert_kernel_module splitter.ko, inserted:0xf0, to insert:0x1
[DRV_INIT_PROG] LoadFileToDram, file_size:0xbb300
[DRV_INIT_PROG] insert_kernel_module, dram_pointer:0x79260000

I accidentally found this thread while searching for something else. I'd given up a while ago on ripping my SACD's to play in JRMC because finding a PS3 with the required firmware didn't seem practical. I was thinking about packing up my Oppo BDP-103 and sending it to one of my nephews because I bought a UDP-203 about 6 months ago and the BDP has just been sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Holy crap! I might have to buy a different Bluray player for the nephew instead.

I spend all day yesterday reading in this thread- I got through 50 pages (glossed over a lot looking for the important parts) and I think I've got a pretty good handle on what I need to do to get started, only one question I haven't resolved, and that's about firmware. In the first 50 pages, the latest reference I could find to what firmware is confirmed to work is to ver. BDP10x-83-0715. Obviously that's for pretty old firmware at this point, and since I didn't even know this thread existed until yesterday, my  firmware is significantly newer.

Can anyone save me going through 70+ more pages of the thread and let me know what the latest working firmware version is for the BDP-103 or if any firmware version has ever been an issue that blocked this method from working?

(Fingers crossed)

not using an Oppo myself (been on this thread since almost the beginning, though) but afaik they never blocked the exploit so you're fine with up to the latest firmware ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones