IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

@[email protected]

What the error messages

libsacdread: Not a ScarletBook disc!

libsacdread: Can't read Master TOC.

mean is that the laser cannot find the Master TOC (table of contents) for the disc.

If the disc is a commercial SACD, this means it is a kind of read-error, since the TOC has got to be there.

If the disc is a CD you get the message because the SACD TOC  is simply not there.

But everyone agrees that no commercial SACDs were ever released with 2064 byte sectors (or whatever that Scarlett-book non-  confirming number was).  So that can't be the problem.

So try cleaning the disc and re-inserting it to see if you can get the laser to read the TOC.

check to see if the Sony can play the SACD layer, to rule out the possibility that it cannot see the SACD layer at all for this particular disc, only the CD layer.

Hi all, I'm dropping in to request assistance with trouble shooting.

I've been running a Pioneer BD170 (in white, as you asked) for SACD ripping only, since this thread appeared. (Thanks once again to all concerned in making this hack.) It has been flawless and I've done all my SACDs. But I keep buying them...

I suddenly needed a USB stick for an emergency OS reinstall, and repurposed the SACD USB drive - the one which goes in the Pioneer to install the relevant script. Now I need to rip SACD again I reformatted the USB drive (FAT) and reinstalled the AutoScript folder with 3 files in it. Sadly however, it doesn't work as before. I put in the USB drive - the tray comes out (sometimes) - and I click on the same file on the PC as previously, but it stops running (crashes) almost immediately.

Obviously the crashing of the ripping software on the PC is deadly. But I am also confused by the tray not coming out reliably.

I have checked the IP address of the Pioneer. It has not changed (and nor has that in the script on the PC). And I've checked that the Pioneer is visible from the PC by Pinging it: it is visible and responds. It is also listed in Explorer as a network device.

I have not checked whether the Pioneer has bricked itself as a SACD reader by updating its firmware, but (a) I turned off auto-update on initial setup and (b) it would seem a bizarre coincidence for that to have happened at exactly the time I futzed with the USB drive. (I can check the firmware version if that helps. And may also be curious whether a firmware update can be reversed for the BDP170, if it turns out to be the problem.)

I would be very happy if someone could point out a beginner error in all this, or otherwise help me get back on the road...

@LudwigvanMarbach if you used the usb drive for a Windows OS reinstall, then it is *likely* Windows formatted it with a hidden system partition at the beginning of the drive. And furthermore it may have used a GPT partition table. Off the top of my head I don’t know the Windows path of least resistance to reinitialize a drive with a  MBR partition table single partition of whatever file system (FAT32, ExFAT, NTFS) *your player* is happy with, but therein lies your problem I do believe. 

1 hour ago, LudwigvanMarbach said:

Thanks both for the wisdom. 

It was an OS X install actually but still I suspect something similar, having reformatted multiple times on multiple machines. I’ll try a FAT32 format from W10 and use that tool before hand. Will report back. 

@LudwigvanMarbach if it’s macOS we’re dealing with, then you surely have a hidden EFI partition at the start of that flash drive. It’s super simple to reinitialize the drive as a single partition MBR disc via CL or GUI. Instructions for both methods are in here:

The SACD Ripper’s Guide to the macOS Media Formatting Universe

I currently have a Pioneer BDP-80FD player.

If you were getting a 2nd player as a backup for ripping SACD's only with no other intended use, which would you get knowing it may sit on a shelf but if you needed it you want some life left in it:

1. A sony BDP-S590 used <$100
  2. Another BDP-80FD new ~ $230-250
  3. A used Oppo BP-103 $300-400

Just looking for other's thoughts.  One of mine is I could pick up two of the sony's put them in the closet and still not spend as much as the other options.

2 minutes ago, TODDCA said:

If you were getting a 2nd player as a backup for ripping SACD's only with no other intended use, which would you get knowing it may sit on a shelf but if you needed it you want some life left in it:

Just looking for other's thoughts.  One of mine is I could pick up two of the sony's put them in the closet and still not spend as much as the other options.

I picked up my S590 for $17 + $18 shipping on eBay for just that reason: to sit on the shelf as a hot spare for my Oppo. @Phthalocyanine‘s discovery ??? of the s590 and other Sonys was a quantum leap advance insofar as our options for snagging rip capable players whilst preserving assets better used to purchase more SACDs. ? 

@Phthalocyanine

The SACD is multichannel and my Sony BDP-BX59 plays the SACD layer without any problem. But it just gave me the Not a Scarletbook disc error. By the way, it's firmware version is M12.R.0510.

On 2018/4/8 at 11:52 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

@[email protected]

What the error messages

libsacdread: Not a ScarletBook disc!

libsacdread: Can't read Master TOC.

mean is that the laser cannot find the Master TOC (table of contents) for the disc.

If the disc is a commercial SACD, this means it is a kind of read-error, since the TOC has got to be there.

If the disc is a CD you get the message because the SACD TOC  is simply not there.

But everyone agrees that no commercial SACDs were ever released with 2064 byte sectors (or whatever that Scarlett-book non-  confirming number was).  So that can't be the problem.

So try cleaning the disc and re-inserting it to see if you can get the laser to read the TOC.

check to see if the Sony can play the SACD layer, to rule out the possibility that it cannot see the SACD layer at all for this particular disc, only the CD layer.

20180410_225405_HDR.jpg

4 hours ago, TODDCA said:

Gentlemen, I have an Oppo 103d for sale. $400. 1226 FW. 

Thanks to this discovery, I’ve ripped all my SACDs and have a 105d on the shelf as well. 

I hope we can help each other. 

5 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

I picked up my S590 for $17 + $18 shipping on eBay for just that reason: to sit on the shelf as a hot spare for my Oppo. @Phthalocyanine‘s discovery ??? of the s590 and other Sonys was a quantum leap advance insofar as our options for snagging rip capable players whilst preserving assets better used to purchase more SACDs. ? 

Is there a list of all the Sony player models that work?  I saw the S590 in the front of this thread and have seen BX59 in on recent post.  How many are there?

International Model listing and voltage specifications (from the Service Manual)

BDP-S590:  Taiwan Model, Australian/NZ Model, PX Model

BDP-S490/S590: UK Model, AEP Model, Mexican Model, Singapore Model, Chinese Model

BDP-S490: Latin America Model, Korea Model, Thailand Model, India Model, Middle East Model, Saudi Arabia Model

BDP-BX59/S590: US Model, Canadian Model

220 – 240V AC, 50/60Hz (BDP-S490:UK,AEP,CH/S590:UK,AEP,AUS,CH)

220V AC, 60Hz (BDP-S490:KR)

120V AC, 60Hz (BDP-BX59/S590:US,CND)

110 – 240V AC, 50/60Hz (BDP-S490:SP,TH,E,MX,EA,KS,IN/S590:SP,MX,PX)

110V AC, 60Hz (BDP-S590:TW)

On 08/04/2018 at 5:57 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

@Rightsaidfred

Welcome to the party!

Please post the firmware that's on your newly-acquired S490 and any problems you run into.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that the S490 has landed today and I've taken a picture of the firmware that is on it. 

I've not had a chance to play with it at all as I'm a bit rammed with my new job at the monent, but as soon as I've got some spare time I'll read the instructions one of you gents kindly pm'd  to me and see if I can get it to work for me. I'm not particularly computer savvy so I'm afraid I will definitily need some help from you guys along the way.  

What size of memory stick do you recommend I get to copy the ripped files on to? 

Cheers.

20180410_205906.jpg

11 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@Rightsaidfred

Your unit has the most recent firmware, so that won't be an issue.

If you plan to rip to a USB drive, then at least 16 GB.  32, 64, or 128 GB sticks will  give you more room before you have to offload the .iso rips off the stick.  SACD .iso-s range in size from 1.5 GB (short Jazz albums) to over 4.0 GB (classical symphonies and multi-channel albums).

Thank you for the advice re the memory stick.

I haven't studied the instructions in any detail yet, but as the S460 doesn't have wifi I thought a memory stick would be the only way for me to proceed - no? 

@Rightsaidfred

You've brought up an interesting point that I had not quite nailed down.  I was not sure whether the S490 had wifi or not.  For the models sold in the U.S., the S590 had wifi and the S390 didnot.  (The S490 was not sold in the US.)

In any event, you will need to connect your S490 to your LAN (local area network) to rip by any method, so you will have to connect it with an Ethernet cable.  You will need the S590 networked because for the "local ripping" method, the one described in my guide, you will need to communicate with the player via telnet, which requires a network connection.  For the alternative  "server method,' of ripping,  you need to have the player networked so that your computer can communicate with it and have the iso rip sent to it.

So I hope that you (like most people these days) have a router set up by which you share your internet connection with your devices because that is what you will need to network your S490.  (Technically, you can set up a local area network without an internet connection, but most people have a router set up because they are sharing an internet connection.)

34 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@Rightsaidfred

You've brought up an interesting point that I had not quite nailed down.  I was not sure whether the S490 had wifi or not.  For the models sold in the U.S., the S590 had wifi and the S390 didnot.  (The S490 was not sold in the US.)

In any event, you will need to connect your S490 to your LAN (local area network) to rip by any method, so you will have to connect it with an Ethernet cable.  You will need the S590 networked because for the "local ripping" method, the one described in my guide, you will need to communicate with the player via telnet, which requires a network connection.  For the alternative  "server method,' of ripping,  you need to have the player networked so that your computer can communicate with it and have the iso rip sent to it.

So I hope that you (like most people these days) have a router set up by which you share your internet connection with your devices because that is what you will need to network your S490.  (Technically, you can set up a local area network without an internet connection, but most people have a router set up because they are sharing an internet connection.)

Understood. I have a router and longish lan cable, I assume it's just a question of plugging one end in to the router and the other end into the S490 to give me my Internet connection?

Or will there be some further configuration that needs to be done on my part?

9 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Yes plug the Ethernet cable into the player at one end and the router at the other and you will be good to go.

Follow the guide and see how far you can get.

Will do, and I'll report back with how it went.

One more question if i may please. Once I've managed to rip these track from the sacd's can I then just transfer the DSD files to my hi-res sony Walkman? I mean there isn't any further conversion or processing required is there?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Rightsaidfred said:

Will do, and I'll report back with how it went.

One more question if i may please. Once I've managed to rip these track from the sacd's can I then just transfer the DSD files to my hi-res sony Walkman? I mean there isn't any further conversion or processing required is there?

Cheers.

Sonys eyewateringly expensive premium players like the NW-WM1Z can play back DSD files natively, so if youve got something like that then you just copy the files to it.

If your player does not support DSD then you will have to convert.