IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I finally got an sacd ripped:) Fantastic that we can do this. But here's the question:

When I use the iso2dsd program to covert the iso to .dsf I notice the resolution of the resulting files to be 24-96. I'm sure that isn't the resolution of an sacd so I don't think I'm getting an identical copy from the rip.

There are no settings in the program to set the output sampling.

The two I've ripped are Mofi's Blood on the Tracks SACD and AP's Pet Sounds SACD.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

I finally got an sacd ripped:) Fantastic that we can do this. But here's the question:

When I use the iso2dsd program to covert the iso to .dsf I notice the resolution of the resulting files to be 24-96. I'm sure that isn't the resolution of an sacd so I don't think I'm getting an identical copy from the rip.

There are no settings in the program to set the output sampling.

The two I've ripped are Mofi's Blood on the Tracks SACD and AP's Pet Sounds SACD.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

The extracted files should have a .dsf extension, right? This is DSD64 2.nnnn MHz.

OK, how are you playing the files and the output of the computer player is set to and what tells you the files are 24-96?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Yes, dsf extension. If I right click the audio properties tell me it is 24-96 (I believe I have dbpoweramp program as a shell so it has detailed info for all audio files).

Also, when I play the file my receiver verifies it as 96. Shouldn't it be 176? I probably shouldn't care because I'm not sure I could tell the difference anyway, but I want an exact copy if I'm going to bother with this.

I have my computer wired by ethernet to my 103 and play the files from the oppo's interface. I have the sacd set to play back 2 channel dsd.

Yes, dsf extension. If I right click the audio properties tell me it is 24-96 (I believe I have dbpoweramp program as a shell so it has detailed info for all audio files).

Also, when I play the file my receiver verifies it as 96. Shouldn't it be 176? I probably shouldn't care because I'm not sure I could tell the difference anyway, but I want an exact copy if I'm going to bother with this.

I have my computer wired by ethernet to my 103 and play the files from the oppo's interface. I have the sacd set to play back 2 channel dsd.

The setting in the Oppo undergoes a conversion to play the dsf. I don't have an Oppo, there should be a setting to play native. The receiver must receive an output from the Oppo as the setting matches, what kind of weird system is that?

Sacd_extract faithfully extracts from the ISO to create a proper DSF. There's no conversion to PCM along the way and it is a process in your Oppo that converts DSD to PCM, and should be 176.4 (4 x 44.1) and not 96 (2 x 48).

i am using the original unmodified script. if you tell me which post # i will look at the differences

up to disc 57 now, just a bit over 1800 to go. All being stored over the network to a raid10 nas box.

I would not sleep at night storing 1800 ripped SACD's on a raid 0 array...it has no redundancy for disk failure.

Guest winopener
I would not sleep at night storing 1800 ripped SACD's on a raid 0 array...it has no redundancy for disk failure.

He's using Raid 10... big difference!

So from your 10 years experience what do you think about the reliability of OPPO players and the after sales support (including out-of-warranty repair) ? I'm currently debating whether I should return my Pioneer BDP-80FD for another one, or just buy an OPPO 103. Like you, I'll be using the player for ripping SACD only. Not sure it justifies the extra cost.

Oppo reliability and support have been top notch. I think many so called high end companies are second rate by comparison.

The Oppo warranty is 2 years, the Pioneer just 1, I believe. But, agreed, Oppo might not be worth the added cost. I just have zero experience with Pioneer.

I think it's your player config is converting your DSD to PCM. The iso is DSD and iso2dsd keeps it as dsd, when you convert to dsf it is still DSD. When you play any of these DSD files you need to have your player configured to not convert to PCM. You might be able to play DSD native or you might need to use DoP (DSD over PCM) and you might need a good ASIO driver depending on your set up.

www.realafrica.net

You sure do with me.

About to to order an Oppo 103, BTW, specifically for ripping only after two crashed PS3s costing me about $600 total. I have one working PS3 left. I expect an Oppo will last quite a few years. No offense to Pioneer guys, and I know they are cheaper and will do the job. But, there are Ford guys and there are Chevvy guys. I have been an Oppo guy for over 10 years, and I have huge respect for the company.

Carl, I'm lucky enough that my solitary PS3 has been holding up for the entire backlog of SACDs that I own and is now used only for the few new ones that I get monthly. Btw, I got it from the guy recommended on this forum a while back.

But, like you, I'm considering moving to a new Oppo model from BDP-93. Just to catch up on the latest: does Oppo BDP-105D function as a multichannel asynchronous USB DAC with its newest firmware? I recall that our excitement was limited by its stereo-only performance.

But, like you, I'm considering moving to a new Oppo model from BDP-93. Just to catch up on the latest: does Oppo BDP-105D function as a multichannel asynchronous USB DAC with its newest firmware? I recall that our excitement was limited by its stereo-only performance.

Stereo only. Proud owner of a 105D since release. I did test it out for ripping last week. Worked like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Oppo reliability and support have been top notch. I think many so called high end companies are second rate by comparison.

The Oppo warranty is 2 years, the Pioneer just 1, I believe. But, agreed, Oppo might not be worth the added cost. I just have zero experience with Pioneer.

The Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD carries a 2 year parts/labor warranty (because it's part of the Elite line).

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/29529538HEelite.pdf

The 160/170 might be only 1 year.

Carl, I'm lucky enough that my solitary PS3 has been holding up for the entire backlog of SACDs that I own and is now used only for the few new ones that I get monthly. Btw, I got it from the guy recommended on this forum a while back.

Max - AFAIK, the Oppo 105 and D are still restricted to stereo only via USB. Mch is only via HDMI.

Sonically from other threads, Kal likes the Exasound E28 DAC and the Merging NADAC better than the 105D. But, all 3 use ESS DAC chips. The 105D is good for the money, though, it appears. Except for a small handful of DACS, there is nothing yet that does Mch via USB that I am aware of.

I finally got a Pioneer BDP-170-K and it worked without a problem. The new player was ordered from amazon.com and was shipped from Japan by A-Japan. The player and box were both wrapped in bubble pack and arrived undamaged in 4 days to Canada. The player needs 100V input so I now have a VCT VT-200J step down/up transformer that converts 125V to 107V. ...

Thank you to the developers of this process and to ted_b for the thread and support on CA.

Pity, that.

I've always thought these players had universal supplies rated from 100 VAC - 240 VAC 50/60 hz input. I would return it and get one with a universal supply.

So from your 10 years experience what do you think about the reliability of OPPO players and the after sales support (including out-of-warranty repair) ? I'm currently debating whether I should return my Pioneer BDP-80FD for another one, or just buy an OPPO 103. Like you, I'll be using the player for ripping SACD only. Not sure it justifies the extra cost.

I have a 105, but the 103 also is a fantastic machine. But if you're using it only as an SACD ripper, there's no need to spend the extra money.

If, however, you might use it to play SACDs, and/or if you want DVD-A support, then the 103 would be worth it in my opinion. Oppo occasionally has Oppo certified refurb'd 103s for only $415, which is a great deal, as even used 103s on eBay with zero warranty usually sell for about $400 anyway.

Max - AFAIK, the Oppo 105 and D are still restricted to stereo only via USB. Mch is only via HDMI.

Sonically from other threads, Kal likes the Exasound E28 DAC and the Merging NADAC better than the 105D. But, all 3 use ESS DAC chips. The 105D is good for the money, though, it appears. Except for a small handful of DACS, there is nothing yet that does Mch via USB that I am aware of.

I'm holding out for a high-quality standalone multichannel DAC that has every possible input (USB, ethernet, HDMI, optical, coax, AES/EBU), handles both PCM and DSD natively at all conceivable resolutions (PCM up to 32-bit float 384kHz, DSD up to 256fs), and includes every relevant decoder (HDCD, DTS, Dolby, etc.). I can't be the only one who would find this a useful centerpiece for a hifi multichannel A/V system.

- JediJoker

I'm holding out for a high-quality standalone multichannel DAC that has every possible input (USB, ethernet, HDMI, optical, coax, AES/EBU), handles both PCM and DSD natively at all conceivable resolutions (PCM up to 32-bit float 384kHz, DSD up to 256fs), and includes every relevant decoder (HDCD, DTS, Dolby, etc.). I can't be the only one who would find this a useful centerpiece for a hifi multichannel A/V system.
OK. Now there's two of us.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Pity, that.

I've always thought these players had universal supplies rated from 100 VAC - 240 VAC 50/60 hz input. I would return it and get one with a universal supply.

The BDP-170-K (-S = Silver) version, according to this document works from 110V-240V, but if there's a transformer already, then an advantage. The transformer will at least reduce some noise from the player to the rest of the system and vice versa. The nameplate will give it away in any case.

Thanks to Fitzcaraldo215, MikeyFresh, Obtuse and tmtomh for your opinions. I have 10 more days to return/exchange my BDP-80FD to Bestbuy. So far I have seen a mixed success with BDP-80FD/BDP-160. I would be interested to hear more from other Pioneer users. Interestingly almost every OPPO user reported no problem with their players.

The BDP-170-K (-S = Silver) version, according to this document works from 110V-240V, but if there's a transformer already, then an advantage. The transformer will at least reduce some noise from the player to the rest of the system and vice versa. The nameplate will give it away in any case.

Pioneer makes 100V only players for Japan. I have one.

Why use USB or HDMI? Use the network. The Oppos have built in UPnP/DLNA and SMB client capability. As long as you're running a DLNA server on your network (I recommend running MinimServer on your NAS), or even if your files are on a network share (SMB), you can locate and playback Mch DSF files.

On DSD, this is limited to DSD64 only, but PCM goes to at least 24/192.

I only use USB as a last resort!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile