IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Ahhh...OK

How about......How did you play the files to verify that they played correctly?

System1: The USB output of my server feeds an exaSound 8channel DAC. The analog outputs go to an 8channel analog preamp and, then, to power amps and speakers.

System 2: HDMI output to a Marantz AV8802a which feeds a power amp and speakers.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Thanks a lot. One on order.

Now, I am a complete and absolute technological ignorant. If you are on a Mac, would you be willing to post a blow by blow description of how you set it up to work. Please include answers to: 1) Do you have to connect the player to a TV to set it up?,

No.
2) Can you connect the player directly to the computer using Ethernet or do you HAVE to go through a LAN?
Not likely but I have not tried it. I doubt if a direct connection would give you an IP address for the player to enter into the computer.

Kal Rubinson

Ok, I think I have some success to report. I went through my entire system, checked all speaker and wiring connections. Did not find anything wrong, but who knows. I then removed JRiver MC and did a complete clean install and I think I have this thing working. I have it set in DSP Studio to Output 5.1 with no Upmixing or Downmixing. This time it seems to be working, no sound from the center with 5.0 (4ch material). 5.1 and 2.0 seem to work as well. I have absolutely no explanation for this, as I used these settings before.

Now, when I set it to Source Number of Channels, the behavior is as it was, 5.1 and 2.0 work fine and 5.0 does not play the surround channels at all.

A few observations:

When Using the 5.1 Output, I notice the lights for all six channels come on my receiver regardless of actual channels being played. If playing 2ch material, all Six channels are lit up on the front panel of the Yamaha. When using Source Number Of Channels, then the channel lights light up in accordance to the actual channels being played. I tried this with Foobar as well, when using Foobar, all formats play properly and the correct channel lights on the Receiver light up depending on how many channels are actually being played.

It would seem that in 5.1 Mode MC is creating a 5.1 Channel container to send to the receiver regardless of the amount of channels being used. This seems like a great work around for the issues associated with telling it to use Source Number of Channels, but it is a workaround. I personally think The Source Number of Channels option needs to be fixed so that it plays only what the file has in it, and sends only what is necessary, and not a flag to turn on all the amps even if no signal will be sent to all of them, which 5.1 Mode seems to do. I guess the Source Number Of Channels needs to be fixed to properly see any combination of channels properly, weather it is the popular 5.1 & 2.0 or the not so popular 5.0. I hope the development team will fix this in the near future. It would really reduce the amount of confusion getting things to work as expected.

Also I am not sure why JRSS Mixing is set as default and as the recommended choice. I think this has added a lot of confusion to many people. No Upmixing or Downmixing should be the Default setting.

Just my opinion.

Much thanks to everybody who has been helping me with all this.

I will not post anymore on this so as not to distract anybody. Thanks again.

I would be willing to give it a try.

Thanks for the offer, but not needed now :)

I did as Living Stereo did and I just uninstalled JRiver(removing everything JRiver related from the registry) and reinstalling. Everything is now playing as it should. Somehow, something with 5.1 output was messed up even though true 5.1 was not a problem. Just these 2 4.0 Audio Fidelity SACD's for me. What a waste of a couple of hours :(

Sure.

First, make sure you have Java installed! It is no longer installed by default on new Macs or in recent/current versions of OS X. More about that here. (If you don't want to install Java, you can run the "sacd_extract" program from the command line in Terminal. I haven't done that, but it should be very similar to how it runs on the Windows command line.)

Then, you will need this:

And this:

Please note that you only need the "AutoScript" folder from the Dropbox link. You can download the whole thing as a zip and then discard the "sacd_extract" folder, if you wish. Then follow these instructions:

Here's where the process diverges:

3) Unzip "iso2dsd_OSX_v6.zip" and double-click on iso2dsd_gui.jar. This will launch the Java GUI utility for the "sacd_extract" program. It takes a moment to load. Once it loads, click the radial button to the left of "Server Input" near the top lefthand corner of the window. Enter the player's IP address in the "IP Address | Port" text field. Leave the port set to 2002.

6) In the "Options" pane of the Java GUI, select your desired "Channel Mode," "Output Mode," and whether you want a cue sheet, DST converted to DSD, and/or a printout (of what exactly I'm unsure). Click "Execute." The rip should begin in a few seconds and progress can be tracked in the bottom half of the window.

Happy ripping! :)

Does this work with any player ( i.e the bdp 9x ) and not just bdp-10x?

Thanks for the offer, but not needed now :)

I did as Living Stereo did and I just uninstalled JRiver(removing everything JRiver related from the registry) and reinstalling. Everything is now playing as it should. Somehow, something with 5.1 output was messed up even though true 5.1 was not a problem. Just these 2 4.0 Audio Fidelity SACD's for me. What a waste of a couple of hours :(

Good. Such things do happen.

Kal Rubinson

Yes, sounds like the CXU, has the same name, this is switched off in my setup. Here's the definition of what My Network does.

The CXU can perform Network Playback in one of the following three ways:

• As a digital media player (DMP): the CXU can actively search, access and

pull content from media servers on you network.

• As a digital media renderer (DMR): the CXU plays content received

('pushed') from a digital media controller (DMC). A DMC-capable UPNP/

DNLA media server is required. Plus the control APP you wish to use which

must be connected to the same network as the server and CXU. Refer to

the server and APPs respective user instructions for correct configuration

and operation.

• Accessing a SMB/CIFS client: the player can directly access files shared

by computers through SMB/CIFS clients over the network, as if accessing

a local USB hard drive. Most computers especially those installed with

Windows, already have an SMB client embedded. Please refer to your

respective OS instructions to set up the SMB/CIFS shared file/folder

Perhaps the OPPO still looks for any of these, and sacd_extract on top of all this falls over. It's an easy option.

All other methods in your post are correct and Win10 doesn't have any special attributes, I'm using the same.

Another thought, I wonder where the metadata for the ISO comes from. Last night I ripped a Japanese domestic SACD and sacd_extract still ripped OK as unknown album. Perhaps comms to the Internet to obtain the metadata is not working? Not sure what actually goes on with sacd_extract.exe more than meets the eye. ISO2DSD doesn't, for the last 12 rips, I use the command line and the metadata is all there.

In an extreme case, data corruption caused by a ethernet cable dropped on a SMPS. To check, use the:

ping [OPPO IP Address] -t

option and let ping go for several minutes and see if the numbers drop off or perhaps some timeouts are happening, CTRL + C to quit the ping.

Oh and set the IP address on the OPPO manually.

Thanks One and a half.

I turned off My Network - no difference. I even powered the Oppo off and back on, and restarted the PC.

I pinged the IP address for several minutes - no timeouts or problems.

The IP address is entered manually - no difference. I powered the Oppo off and back on as well as restarted the PC.

...the mystery continues....

I've had a similar issue as you twice now in the past week and each time I found that my Oppo's IP address had changed by one number. In both cases it was the last number in the chain before 2020, and once I matched the Sonore app to the Oppo I've been fine. Have no idea why that one number has changed though. Hope you get your problem solved.

No.

Not likely but I have not tried it. I doubt if a direct connection would give you an IP address for the player to enter into the computer.

A direct connection between the computer would probably work if you statically assign IP addresses to the computer and the player (for example 192.168.1.1 for one and 192.168.1.2). You may need a crossover cable, but I don't think it would be necessary.

“There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others."

-William Faulkner

For those that have the Cambridge Audio CXU or 650/750 Players, please find relevant procedure in the attached file.

Is the 651 a different chipset or the same as the 650?

Update: Nevermind, I see it's the MTK8530 only.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Thanks a lot. One on order.

Now, I am a complete and absolute technological ignorant. If you are on a Mac, would you be willing to post a blow by blow description of how you set it up to work. Please include answers to: 1) Do you have to connect the player to a TV to set it up?, 2) Can you connect the player directly to the computer using Ethernet or do you HAVE to go through a LAN?

Sorry for the naivete but I just want to make it work right the first time around.

Best.

I can do that and it wasn't hard so don't worry.

You do need the connection to the TV at least initially, so that you can go through the BDP-80FD's on screen set-up menus, to shut down auto play/resume etc... and also to test the network connection/jot down the player's IP address.

I don't know if you can connect the player directly to the Mac, I didn't try that and have no feedback there. My suggestion is don't do that, you are introducing another area of potential confusion and/or incompatibility, just connect to the LAN. I connected directly to the router but you could also connect to a switch if that is preferable, the main idea is connect to whatever will issue the BDP-80FD an IP address.

What kind of router and network configuration do you currently have?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

As stated ad nauseam throughout the thread, this only works with players that have one of two Mediatek chipsets. The Oppo BDP-9Xs are not supported.

I specifically quoted the computer based one because I wasn't sure if it was using the chipset or reading the iso and doing the decoding on the computer. It wasn't clear to me based on the thread and my meagre knowledge of sacd ripping.

I've had a similar issue as you twice now in the past week and each time I found that my Oppo's IP address had changed by one number. In both cases it was the last number in the chain before 2020, and once I matched the Sonore app to the Oppo I've been fine. Have no idea why that one number has changed though. Hope you get your problem solved.

The last number in the chain is the specific ID your network router assigns to each connected device - Oppo, computer, tablet, smartphone, whatever is in range and connected to your network at the time.

Routers assign these addresses dynamically. So if you powered off your Oppo, then connected with your phone or laptop, it's possible the phone or laptop got assigned the address the Oppo previously had, so when your turned the Oppo back on and it rejoined your network, your router had to give it a different address.

However, getting reassigned a new IP address twice in a week seems a bit frequent to me - usually these addresses reset/renew once a week at the very most. So another possibility is that when you turn the Oppo back on and rejoin the network, your router doesn't realize it's same device, so it keeps the old address reserved and assigns the Oppo - what the router thinks is a "new" and different Oppo - a new address.

It's really nothing to worry about either way, except for the minor inconvenience. It just forces you to fire up the Oppo Media Control app (or use a network-mapping utility on your computer) each time you want to rip an SACD, so you can see what the player's current IP address is.

A direct connection between the computer would probably work if you statically assign IP addresses to the computer and the player (for example 192.168.1.1 for one and 192.168.1.2). You may need a crossover cable, but I don't think it would be necessary.

I believe that for the past 10 years or so, all Macs have been able to auto-detect direct connections, making a crossover cable unnecessary as you say; I presume Windows PCs and Linux machines have the same capability.

I specifically quoted the computer based one because I wasn't sure if it was using the chipset or reading the iso and doing the decoding on the computer. It wasn't clear to me based on the thread and my meagre knowledge of sacd ripping.

This whole thread is about computer-based ripping of SACDs using players as transports. However, once you have an SACD .iso, you can use ISO2DSD to extract .dff/.dsf files, which—as the name of the program suggests—is its primary function.

- JediJoker

This whole thread is about computer-based ripping of SACDs using players as transports. However, once you have an SACD .iso, you can use ISO2DSD to extract .dff/.dsf files, which—as the name of the program suggests—is its primary function.

Speaking of which, did anyone else but me elect to skip the creation of the .ISO file and just have iso2dsd rip the SACD disc directly to .DSF files?

It worked just fine and saves some time too, or at least it does if all you were then going to do was create .DSF files and discard the .ISO.

I'm not at all suggesting that others don't have a real need for the .ISO file, either as their archive/back-up, or to use in burning a back-up SACD-R disc, but I don't really have a need for that and I'm pretty sure you could always just use the .DSF tracks as source files in iso2dsd to process a .ISO from, no?

Or do folks on this forum actually just play music from the .ISO and not create the .DSF tracks at all?

I play .DSF files from JRiver, but I believe JRiver will also play from a .ISO (however I've never tried it) but that would preclude the appending of album artwork unless I'm missing something?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

just got a pioneer bdp80fd from b&h brand new.

turned off autoplay and resume

prepared a usb stick, insert the stick, says usb in, then the door opens

I insert a single layer sacd

then try the sacd_extract program

the first one from the archive crashes in windows 10

the one from iso2dsd says

failed to connect

libsacdread: can't open 192.168.2.200:2002 for reading

I can ping the ip address, but cannot telnet in.

ipaddress,gateway and dns are all correct, loads youtube just fine

any idea what i'm doing wrong?

failed to connect

Did the entry of the IP address in iso2dsd result in the insertion of any leading edge zeros?

For instance, did "2" become "002"? If so get rid of the extra zeros and you should be good to go.

If not, did you disable auto play/resume?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

turned off autoplay and resume

failed to connect

You should using package from Maldur's post: link. This one is specific for bdp-160/170/80fd

Speaking of which, did anyone else but me elect to skip the creation of the .ISO file and just have iso2dsd rip the SACD disc directly to .DSF files?
Some people do it but, in the past, most wanted to avoid the wear-and-tear on their fragile PS3s.

It worked just fine and saves some time too, or at least it does if all you were then going to do was create .DSF files and discard the .ISO.
I do not know if it saves time since one can do the ISO-to-DSF conversion in large batches unattended.

... I'm pretty sure you could always just use the .DSF tracks as source files in iso2dsd to process a .ISO from, no?
You can make an ISO from the stereo or multichannel tracks but not the original ISO with both.

Or do folks on this forum actually just play music from the .ISO and not create the .DSF tracks at all?
Yup.

I play .DSF files from JRiver, but I believe JRiver will also play from a .ISO (however I've never tried it) but that would preclude the appending of album artwork unless I'm missing something?
JRiver appends the artwork to the ISO.

Kal Rubinson