IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5.1 with PCM->DSD Conversion

Jud

Just move the slider for Quality.. and it will revert to the original iZotope filter settings..

Hello

Can someone send me the original iZotope filter setting please?

I didn't make note of them before changing and now cannot go back to original setting!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

Thank u guys. Now back to tweaking......

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

Day 1 with new pair of 805 D3

My oh my Audirvana from Mac mini to oppo HA-1 to Rotel RMB-1075 to 805 D3

Absolutely heaven and the speakers are not even broken in

Thank u B&W and Audirvana

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

Principle #1: In digital audio, intuition is extremely unreliable. :)

What you describe, while intuitive, isn't what's really going on. Upsampled data is not more reliable, because RedBook (16/44.1) data will, mathematically speaking, specify the analog result (the music) completely reliably. (This is what our friends Shannon, Nyquist and others proved mathematically a long time ago.)

So why upsample? Well, because we do not live in the perfect world of mathematical proofs, we lack some of the critical tools necessary to recreate music from a digital file perfectly.

One of those things is a perfect low-pass filter (removes higher frequencies, lets the lower ones pass through), which would, completely without distortion, get rid of all the frequencies above the audible range. We have low-pass filters, but they are not perfect. The steeper a filter is (the sharper the cutoff between the frequencies it will pass and those it won't), the more it "rings," meaning if you ran a sharp impulse through the filter, you'd find lots of smaller impulses trailing off in *both* directions, i.e., an oscilloscope trace would look more like a pig moving through a python than one sharp rise and fall.

So let's just use a filter that's not so steep and we'll be OK, right? Well, no. Unfortunately, a filter that isn't steep will let through higher frequencies, and these will interact with audible frequencies to cause distortion.

The solution is to move the point where the filter has to engage away from the audible band, so even a filter that isn't so steep can do an adequate job getting rid of higher frequencies. The way this is done is upsampling.

The upsampling step itself requires filtering out higher frequencies so they won't be fed to the final digital-to-analog conversion filter in your DAC. Beyond just upsampling, A+ also uses better filters for the upsampling step than are usually available in your DAC for this purpose.

So is there any point / logic in up sampling before I feed my Audio Note DAC which is R-2R NOS and no digital filter?

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

So is there any point / logic in up sampling before I feed my Audio Note DAC which is R-2R NOS and no digital filter?

Your DAC will "objectively" work much better because the conversion filter working at Redbook sample rates is highly imperfect, and outputs much less measurable distortion if it is fed with higher rates.

It is up to you if you subjectively prefer no upsampling of RedBook - in other words if the measurable distortion in this type of DAC fed by RedBook sounds pleasing to you.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Well, I don't know. Perhaps Damien is preparing to release 2.6 :)

Not yet, though beta 10 has all the features of the final 2.6.

Compilation done. Now preparing the post (with explanation of all the updates)...

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Fine. Will you release the beta for testing now? I'd like to try it.

Enjoy the beta 2.6 :)

Damien

PS: I'm sure someone will create a new thread as this 2.5.1 is more dedicated to DSD upsampling...

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Damien is a freakin' genius. This isn't even his day job. His software has enriched my life.

I don't even use the proprietary library management. But, even with using iTunes to tag and manage my library of almost 1700 albums, the sheer simplicity of dragging-and-dropping folders into the Audirvana playlist window from the Finder only takes one mouse click. And processing and pre-loading tracks into the memory buffer is fast (Amarra falls down here).

Most importantly, the SQ blows away Amarra Symphony and HQPlayer (for PCM playback). My DAC is not DSD-compatible, but even converting DSD-to-PCM on the fly with Audirvana sounds better than transcoding DSD to PCM in advance with TraX.

Thank you, Damien.

Merci beaucoup !

I'm still wondering if there's anyway?, or settings that won't cause as much of a strain on say Mac Mini's without the fan keeping in?, as I never had this occur with JRiver or HQ Player while merely upsampling from PCM to DSD 128.

Having said that........, I've remained loyal to A+, but pray that at some point a lesser current draw on the CPU can be adapted to any upcoming versions, as I'd be more then happy to pay any extra fees needed.

Regards,

O_o scar

I use Audirvana 2.5.4 on a MacMini (late 2014) running Capitan 10.11.5. The Mac goes USB into a Rega DAC-R (NOS). I have Direct Mode and Integer Mode 1 enabled and upsample "power of 2."

I haven't yet tried to compare SQ with Direct Mode on or off.

These days, my Mini wants very much to install the Sierra it downloaded but I haven't allowed it to do so because of the Direct Mode conflict. The solution discussed here seems workable but not something I'm enthusiastic about attempting myself. (Also, thanks to all of you for such an incredibly rich thread and forum; the generosity is amazing).

Would it make sense to do a little A/B comparison with Direct Mode on and off to see if I can detect an SQ difference? Perhaps as a way a way of knowing whether or not to allow Sierra to install?

I don't mind putting off Sierra until the end of time, frankly, since my Mini is a dedicated music server. Have others of you installed Sierra and found the loss of Direct Mode isn't a big deal?

Thanks in advance!

into a Rega DAC-R (NOS)

sorry for going OT and not answering your question (wait... I'll do: I'm not updating to Sierra my dedicated Mac mini. not just because of Direct mode being broken). Back OT :P now...

the DAC you mention is not at all NOS

or better: it is just according to the usual misleading marketing jargoon :rolleyes: which claims as NOS a DAC that does not oversample before the DAC chip, which oversamples anyway internally ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

the DAC you mention is not at all NOS

or better: it is just according to the usual misleading marketing jargoon :rolleyes: which claims as NOS a DAC that does not oversample before the DAC chip, which oversamples anyway internally ;)

Is this because the Wolfson chip has an interpolator? I've done a little research since your reply and I think I understand why this DAC isn't a true NOS unit. (which is fine with me, good to learn that!)

Are you delaying the Sierra update for other reasons related to Audirvana?

no idea what and how much that Wolfson chip oversamples but, usually, all delta-sigma chips (and Wolfson is delta-sigma) do

I'm not updating because of a "great new security feature" :rolleyes: introduced by Sierra that makes it so the user, to mount a network share, has to manually confirm, by clicking "Connect", a pre-filled dialog (user and password are already there so... great security feature indeed!) :mad:

my Mac mini runs headless, is set to auto-mount at boot the NAS share where my music files are and... the above is just a great big PITA

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Not sure if this is the right place to post about my library issues but since I am not using the beta version, I will try here.

i recently got a new Mini and bought a new license for A+. The DSD upsampling is great and the installation went smoothly except for the library aspect. I have two identical hard drives that I connect by FireWire.

On my old Mac, every track was duplicated (each song listed twice) but everything was there. On the new Mac with a new license for A+, tons of songs are missing. The hard drive that I used on the old Mac still shows duplicate listings but half of the songs are gone.

i tried my backup hard drive and it was even worse. songs were not duplicated but many albums and songs are missing. I use DPPoweramp to rip all my stuff so I am pretty confident that the tagging should be ok.

Are there some settings in A+ that I am not setting up correctly?

Not sure if this is the right place to post about my library issues but since I am not using the beta version, I will try here.

i recently got a new Mini and bought a new license for A+. The DSD upsampling is great and the installation went smoothly except for the library aspect. I have two identical hard drives that I connect by FireWire.

On my old Mac, every track was duplicated (each song listed twice) but everything was there. On the new Mac with a new license for A+, tons of songs are missing. The hard drive that I used on the old Mac still shows duplicate listings but half of the songs are gone.

i tried my backup hard drive and it was even worse. songs were not duplicated but many albums and songs are missing. I use DPPoweramp to rip all my stuff so I am pretty confident that the tagging should be ok.

Are there some settings in A+ that I am not setting up correctly?

Get rid of the A+ database files. At next startup it will ask if you want to create a new library. Say yes.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.