IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5.1 with PCM->DSD Conversion

Jud

In SoX there are filters of order 4-8, two of each constructed using different methods. I don't know how they are mapped to A+ names in the current naming scheme.

Whom shall we ask?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I doubt the mystery is very deep. The order of the modulator, which is shown in the settings, I believe tells us how much that modulator cuts the ultrasonic noise from DSD. The higher the order the greater the cut, so less noise.

The following is speculation on my part, but I wonder if A, B and C approximate the three flavors of sox conversion, which are something like (sorry, haven't looked at them for a while) fast, regular, and best quality.

Higher order filters generally have less in-band noise and a steeper rise in noise above the "audio" band (it has to go somewhere). Some of the high-order filters have proved problematic for DACs using the DSD1793 chip. They are also more prone to destabilising with "evil" inputs.

I can't even find the A Filters or B Filters This list of what I send is copied from an earlier post. What I want is to see if I can hear an improvement? Thanks

Jamesroy... just look at 2 of my post in pages 32 here... you'll see my audio system and filters preferences from A+

you'll see also i upsample to DSD and using filter C

If you don't have a DSD DAC, maybe that prefs is grey, i don't know

just coming back from biking, didn't see all the answers before leaving and coming :-)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

mine native DSd is not detected by default... i have to put the tab at DSD over PCM 1.1

than on audio preferences select the DSD upsampling button... mine stop at 128...

then choose the filter on the right that your ears love the most :-)

try the izotope setting by default first... if you changed them just move the slider to lower than put it back at max it will bring back Damien's default one... then you can try other people settings

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Again, those filters are for DSD upsampling...

it is new here with Audirvana... not all people prefer DSD upsampling

some like PCM upsampling better... many also don't love upsampling anything...

rickca explained it pretty well earlier i think for you to have sound upsampling PCM...

no filters by mansr for PCM just when you select DSD button in Audio of Audirvana

The filters are just there because when upsampling in DSD... you NEED to have a filter before the sound goes out...

so those are there for you to choose one... they are not magical and super different from each others...

Thanks, you all can have a good laugh over this next statement, Thank you for telling me how to reset back to default by sliding the slider back and forth. With all the messing around I was doing my music sounded like it was getting worse now it's back to its original sound when I firsts set up with A+. Thank You.

In SoX there are filters of order 4-8, two of each constructed using different methods. I don't know how they are mapped to A+ names in the current naming scheme.

OK, so that explains a lot. If even mansr doesn't know how the SoX filters are mapped to A+ names, we clearly need input from Damien.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

OK, so that explains a lot. If even mansr doesn't know how the SoX filters are mapped to A+ names, we clearly need input from Damien.

OK, Damien and mansr should provide a description of the dsd filters.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

mine native DSd is not detected by default... i have to put the tab at DSD over PCM 1.1

just got a Chord Mojo and I'm seeing the very same (guess because it doesn't do native, if I'm not mistaken: new to DSD)

oh, and... 384KHz is missing :-/

connected to the iPhone (using iAudioGate) all sampling rates up to DSD 256 are showing and available

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

It seems I can't use the "stop" command without getting stuck at "loading first track". It usually helps restarting the program and start replay of the first track of the entire library (10,000 Maniacs). After that it seems to work just as long as I don't hit "stop". I can use the "pause" command and still be able to continou playback. It seems a lot harder to start the first played track if I for instance start with, lets say "ZZ top" The library is quite big, 1,4TB. Music is all aiff. All music is on a NAS (synology ds214se). All tags are in perfect order, took some time but finally they are.

I have at least one friend who has the same problem so I'm not alone with this problem. Is there anyone here who has had this and has solved it somehow ?

I tried this fix today without any luck http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/if-you-have-network-attached-storage-beware-os-x-10-11-5-a-28709/

It doesn't seem to make any significant difference to what version of Audirvana I'm using.

For Those who wants to know and maybe Damien :-)

I was not expected the opposite, but whishing it :-)

A+ 2.5.3 direct mode still does not work with MacOS Sierra (10.12) public beta 2 released today

unchecking it brings the music back :-)

27565d1468010926t-audirvana-plus-2-multi-channel-sound-5-surround-channels-and-1-lfe-low-frequency-effects-channel-pulse-code-modulation-direct-stream-digital-conversion-snapz001.jpg

Hi. I have the same issue. I was going to try replacing the IOAudiofamily.kext file with an older one. However, I found that disabling Direct Mode and then loading a file and then re-enabling Direct Mode does keep Direct Mode checked in preferences (until you restart A+). Does anyone know if this workaround actually enables Direct Mode or if it's only keeping the option checked in preferences?

Hi. I have the same issue. I was going to try replacing the IOAudiofamily.kext file with an older one. However, I found that disabling Direct Mode and then loading a file and then re-enabling Direct Mode does keep Direct Mode checked in preferences (until you restart A+). Does anyone know if this workaround actually enables Direct Mode or if it's only keeping the option checked in preferences?

You can try cheating, lol but software can't...

u just have to restart A+ with Direct Mode On and you will see it ain't loading...

Now it is on Beta 4 of 10.12 still not working...

it will not work again i think, till Damien Sort it out again... maybe soon with 2.6 release

You can try cheating, lol but software can't...

u just have to restart A+ with Direct Mode On and you will see it ain't loading...

Now it is on Beta 4 of 10.12 still not working...

it will not work again i think, till Damien Sort it out again... maybe soon with 2.6 release

Yes, I mentioned that restarting A+ causes direct mode not to work. I'm wondering if disabling and re-enabling Direct Mode and loading a new track creates a workaround.

If not, does anyone know if replacing the IOAudiofamily.kext file with an older version enable Direct Mode to function properly?

Without Direct Mode my DAC and A+ works perfectly... buffer at max...

Did you notice a difference without Direct mode with your setup?

i'm pretty sure if there is one, it is very little to hear a difference...

if you have a backup of your system or willing to mess up with it till an update, it is easy for you to try...

for me, i can live without Direct Mode till Damien find a workaround...

All was good with 10.11.6... so i already go over for nothing with 10.12 who has more security things in it :-)

Without Direct Mode my DAC and A+ works perfectly... buffer at max...

Did you notice a difference without Direct mode with your setup?

i'm pretty sure if there is one, it is very little to hear a difference...

if you have a backup of your system or willing to mess up with it till an update, it is easy for you to try...

for me, i can live without Direct Mode till Damien find a workaround...

All was good with 10.11.6... so i already go over for nothing with 10.12 who has more security things in it :-)

Mine still crashes with anything higher than Yosemite. I tried contacting Damien many times about this but never got a response. It would be nice if he just would respond" I'm aware of the problem and working on it"

Mine still crashes with anything higher than Yosemite. I tried contacting Damien many times about this but never got a response. It would be nice if he just would respond" I'm aware of the problem and working on it"

i had an old mac mini early 2009 or late 2008... can't remember now...

i put 4 gb of ram instead of 2... A+ was still having hiccups when i tried to upsampled to 352/384... same thing with JRiver... but with JRiver, i could upsampled 16/44 to 2 DSD with my DAC... all was good... but i discover that JRiver was not that good upsampling to DSD instead of upsampling to PCM... there was differences in hearing the same song comparing DSD to PCM upsampling.

Then, A+ was able to Upsampled to DSD128 with my DAC... all my problems went away since then... no hiccups, no losing 1 second in music playing... Heaven :-)

If it plays good for you with Yosemite, why bother with new system if it doesn't work...

Stay with yosemite... many had problem with El Captitan, USB port and on...

I have now an old Mac Mini Late 2012, with i5, 16gb of ram, not SSD, A+ 2.5.3, 10.12b4 and all is good...

this computer is for music only... My other Mac is iMac early 2008 with only 4gb of ram and i use it for everything else... screen sharing with the Mac Mini...

i just updated to last Mac system, 10.11.6... can't go higher now... but all is running good...

that is life... everyone is getting older...

i just got new glasses, so i'm still new again :-)

with all that Damien is already working on... I don't see why he should also support *betas* of an OS yet to come :-/

latest *official* Mac OS is Yosemite, and A+ works just fine with it ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

with all that Damien is already working on... I don't see why he should also support *betas* of an OS yet to come :-/

latest *official* Mac OS is Yosemite, and A+ works just fine with it ;)

euh... El Captian is the latest... Sierra is coming in a couple of months.

sure, sorry, I was meaning 10.11.6 -> El Capitan

blush.png

headphones system:

It seems that I have found a solution to the "loading first track" problem. Earlier I had only one folder loaded in audirvana. All music was under "albums". Now I tried a solution to create 26 subfolders, "123..." - "Z", so now I have loaded 26 search paths in the library for Audirvana to load files from. The result seems to be that when I'm using 2.5.3 I can not stress audirvana to get stuck at "loading first track" anymore. If I load 2.4 instead, the problem remains. Sad thing about that is that I like 2.4 more SQ wise.

Currently running A+ 2.5.3 with OS 10.11.4 and iTunes 12.3.3. Can I upgrade to OS 10.11.6 and iTunes 12.4.3 without breaking Direct Mode and iTunes integrated mode?

Loudspeaker systems: 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.6GHz -> 10.11.6 -> Audirvana 3.5 -> Schiit Yggdrasil OG / HoloAudio Cyan 2 -> Yamaha A-S3000 / HoloAudio Bliss -> Celestion Ditton 66 / Genelec 8030C & BK XXLS400

Headphone systems: 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.6GHz -> 10.11.6 -> Audirvana 3.5 -> Schiit Yggdrasil OG / HoloAudio Cyan 2 -> HoloAudio Bliss / Sparkos Labs Aries -> Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 / Focal Utopia / Sennheiser HD600