IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

Just like the difference in accent between American English and British English. Integrity means that MSB system can not improve anymore because they have a full solution. But DAVE system can still improve by adding Hi-End power cord, USB, power rege, isolation etc. The DAVE system only use the original power cord and AQ diamond USB to connect a noisy PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

If you think there's a solution out there that doesn't need a proper audiophile mains cable, i'm afraid you're on the wrong track!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

At CanJam, I Liked a lot the AYRE QB-9 driving a BHSE electrostatic headphone Amp + Stax SR009.

Now that I owe myself a BHSE + Stax SR009 I need a new DAC.

but.... Since the Stax SR009 can sometime be on the bright side, I need to be sure that the DAC Is NOT bright ! In fact I look for a DAC with a signature close to the QB-9, but just... better.

So my question is: is the QX-5´s sound signature In the QB-9 style (but better) or totaly different ?

--> Is the QX-5 warmer or brighter than the QB-9 ? Warmer or brighter than the DAVE ?

Thanks In advance for your advice for a very good DAC for my BHSE/SR009.

These are the new flagship 35k hybrid driven with the Anthem 700W monos on each speaker. I was part of a small group who got to audition as they will be going on tour. I got to meet the folks from Paradigm and they were wonderful people. Genuine and nice. They enjoyed the music more than the gear. That as really nice. So few companies seem to be like this.

This didn't sound like a Paradigm. It shows promise, but needs many more hours to burn in I think. The sound never left the speaker. I expected much more at this price range. When I noted that the bass was flabby and had a really bad hump at 50hz, I was told that it was the recording. It may have been, but I think it could easily have been the room. The speakers were set up way too close to each other so you couldn't hear them breath if you would. They were musical though. Voices were done very nicely. No harshness in the upper registers at all. I listened for a while and had no headache like I get from some of the top 'name' speakers in this range or higher. I was impressed by the coherency of these BE drivers They did a great job here. The bass needs help, but that's most probably the burn in, or I'm hoping for their sake it is.

I tried to listen with other speakers in mind. I love powered speakers or powered subs built in. I think it helps to match amps with speakers. I like these MUCH better than the B&W' D3 series. I like them much better than the Wilson speakers, but many won't fully understand what these are about. They are plenty dynamic when needed and on one of the Dire Staits tracks the bass was pretty tight. Just not what I get from a few others, but it's also not distorted. There was air around the notes and in time there will be more. Piano and cymbals were clean and musical. The harshness of the piano was there, but not fatiguing. HARD to do, but these can do it easily.

The cabinets are beautiful. Flawless and the silver was deep metallic. They have 4 or 5 colors that will fit into most any decor I'm sure. Even the len's are attractive.

Hard to say how good these will be, but like the QX5, the bones sure are there. I'll be going back in OCT after they get some hours on them. Not sure when they will be delivered for the public. Do they compete my favorite in the 30k range, the Vandersteen 5CT's? No, I don't feel they are close, but they need to break in. I also didn't love the Krell and Nordost Frey 2 cable, but they too need break in I was told. I do wish these companies would try and show equipment with broken in gear, even if their's isn't, lol. If you are in the market for a speaker in this range, it's a must audition as it's very musical. I've felt for years that Paradigm are hit or miss speakers. I have owned them and have my family purchase them in the past, but some can be hot and ragged on top and some seem very veiled. These did have a slight veiling, but I do think much will go away as they break in. I watched them crate them up afterwards and it's as professional as it gets. Big, strong crates and they fit easily with two men packing them up.

Thanks for for the report. I'm a Paradigm fan. I loved my Signature S8s and only gave them up because I got a deal on my current fantastic Revel Salon 2s. Have you heard the Revels? Would you be prepared to do a quick comparison between the new Paradigms and the Revels?

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

Thanks for for the report. I'm a Paradigm fan. I loved my Signature S8s and only gave them up because I got a deal on my current fantastic Revel Salon 2s. Have you heard the Revels? Would you be prepared to do a quick comparison between the new Paradigms and the Revels?
j

Guys, I have two questions here. First off the QX5 seems to be a totally different DAC. All the Ayre products sound neither SS nor tube. They are just fundamentally correct.

If someone is wanting a new DAC, I may have an incredible deal for you. There is the ability to get the brand new Empirical Audio ODSX. If someone wants it now, they can chose any of the upgrade options or not. According to a friend whom I trust, he said it's the best DAC he's ever had in his house. He's got the first one to review and he's HONEST. He has the EMM 2 which is incredible. This DAC seems to be even better. It's just a DAC and can bet had with USB or ethernet (sounds the best, but is expensive to install). It's a long story, but I'd need to know in the next couple of days type of thing. First come first serve as this is a completely rebuilt upgrade with new mother board and new clock etc...Even the volume knob (yes it's also the best digital/analog preamp I've heard in any DAC so far) has a real diamond in it. Go to Empirical Audio's site to check it out. Googling the original ODSE/SE will tell you all you need to know. Someone can have this NEW DAC (16500 selling price) for around 10k or so. Please PM me quickly if you want to know more and are serious. This DAC costs more than the Ayre, but really is better than the Hugo Dave by far. If someone did the Duland Cap upgrade the highs will be right with the Dave and the Mids down will beat the Dave by a lot. Hugo isn't known for powerful bass like other top DAC's are. They are known for some of the best highs though. Again, PM me quickly and we can talk.

As for the Paradigm, the sound is not what the Signature is. It's a totally different speaker with much smoother highs and much much tighter and tuneful bass.

I have heard the Salons. I personally like the Paradigm's better. If I were to purchase a speaker in this range (can't afford it), I'd go listen to the Vandersteen Quatro's (for only 14k or the bigger Vandersteen 5CT's). The Quatro is the best buy in audio for ME. Going up in the line, you just get better sound, but that Quatro is so special. JMHO.

At CanJam, I Liked a lot the AYRE QB-9 driving a BHSE electrostatic headphone Amp + Stax SR009.

Now that I owe myself a BHSE + Stax SR009 I need a new DAC.

but.... Since the Stax SR009 can sometime be on the bright side, I need to be sure that the DAC Is NOT bright ! In fact I look for a DAC with a signature close to the QB-9, but just... better.

So my question is: is the QX-5´s sound signature In the QB-9 style (but better) or totaly different ?

--> Is the QX-5 warmer or brighter than the QB-9 ? Warmer or brighter than the DAVE ?

Thanks In advance for your advice for a very good DAC for my BHSE/SR009.

Yes. I like that system as well. That system sounds better than Dave+LCD4 .

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Do you think the Quattro is better than the 803D3?

Yes I think the Quatro is the top speaker I've heard under 25k. Vandersteen is one of the only companies who has it figured out. I know many top designers and folks in the industry. I've been around too long, lol. Most top speaker companies will actually tip the highs all the way up to 3 db or even more. I just spoke with the Paradigm guys about this as I heard their new ref speaker. I noticed how natural and airy the highs seem to be. We spoke and he agreed with me over designers tilting their highs to get their speakers to stand out in the store over others. Vandersteen won't do this as they are more revealing than most and they do it without distortion (that pure pistonic deal with the carbon fiber drivers). It's measurable too.

I have heard the B&W D3 speakers three times so far. They were all set up by the B&W rep so I assume they were at peak performance. The first one wasn't burned in enough and I couldn't listen. They were ragged on top and the bass wasn't tuneful at all. Way too forward. The other two sounded like different speakers. Much better, but still way too forward for MY tastes. I know many dealers who sell Vandersteens or have and also B&W and all have said the same thing. That's why B&W won't canabalize purchases from other top makers. I'd carry them for those who like that type of sound. They have grown so large over the years and are in it to sell speakers any way they can. That's not to say they don't have a great product line as they do. They are designed to catch someone's ear who isn't an audiophile and to get the to purchase them. Proac is the opposite over in England. They used to be similar size companies in the 80/90's I believe (I may be wrong, but was told that by a PRoac dealer so take it at that). It's like TV's being turned on really bright in the stores and folks go crazy over what a bright and colorful pic, but we all know that movie model or calibrating your set is MUCH better over time and if left in the store setting, it will hurt and fatigue your eyes eventually.

Not saying that B&W, Magico or Wilson (or many others) are going to be bad sounding or fatigue everyone, but I personally have always had a problem with the high end being ragged or fatiguing. I'm just sensitive to that as well as spitting sibilance by say Mellencamp Cougar on some speakers. That's just me and I'm NOT putting any other speakers down, but if you listen side by side, you will notice such subtle things that the Vandersteens (Treo on up) do ro don't do that set them apart. This is why so many in the industry use them in their own systems. I know of at least 20 folks who are well known writers, bloggers, owners of sites and electronic manufacturers who own Vandersteen Treo's or higher for their own personal systems, but won't talk about it. I never liked them until a few years ago when someone forced me to listen. I was hooked as something what just so right and we listened for hours.

Sorry to go on and I"m not crapping on your speakers or anyone else's speakers. It's my ear, but the short answer is Quatro's over B&W's. B&W though, over a few other top named speakers I won't name though, lol. Please understand in the context I wrote this as I can be raw when sharing as I'm honest or try to be. Thanks.

Yes I think the Quatro is the top speaker I've heard under 25k. Vandersteen is one of the only companies who has it figured out.

I agree. Vandersteens punch way above their price points and the 7 is among the very best speakers I've heard (the others being TAD Ref 1 and Vivid Giya). Plus, they are made in the US (albeit some drivers are sourced from Europe). My upgrade path includes the Treos; the Quatros are a bit above my budget especially given that I really want to get an AX-5 first! In the price range of the Quatro I would also consider something from Vivid (another company who has figured it out).

To the point of this thread, I'm still plenty happy with my QB-9 but look forward to hearing a QX-5 (unless it makes my system sound broken!). Also, some report that the Codex is better than the QB-9 in some ways and may be better overall. I heard one briefly but in a system unfamiliar and not with my music. It sounded plenty good but I wasn't able to judge it compared to my QB-9. Ayre's track record suggests the QX-5 will easily best them both and probably will compare favorably with products much more expensive. At that point, it becomes more a matter of personal taste rather than some objective "best".

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I'll post my thoughts on codex vs the 9 when I get home later. They are different sounding. Codex is very special I won't get into it but Ayre made it for a purpose and we all win because if it. I just sold one of the best sounding DAC going for under 20k. I just want the Qx5 for other reasons but I will say from feedback of my dealer (brutally honest folks) yuc

They look so angular wife would kill me. New family room is going to be 25 x 15 I don't see her signing off on those since she nixed all Wilsons. She thinks the 802 is cool though.

Have you heard Focal?

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

They look so angular wife would kill me. New family room is going to be 25 x 15 I don't see her signing off on those since she nixed all Wilsons. She thinks the 802 is cool though.

Have you heard Focal?

Wife LOVES the cabinet. In person I feel they are beautiful. I build wood furniture and feel the veneer work is outstanding. My wife likes the look of the Treo's over the Quartos as the grill going from top most of the way down, makes it disappear visually as much as it does sonically, lol....I love it after all those years with square towers.

Wife LOVES the cabinet. In person I feel they are beautiful. I build wood furniture and feel the veneer work is outstanding. My wife likes the look of the Treo's over the Quartos as the grill going from top most of the way down, makes it disappear visually as much as it does sonically, lol....I love it after all those years with square towers.

In rereading my post, I don't want it to sound like I think you are nuts not to like the look of the Treo, lol....Speakers are so personal for their looks as well as their sound. I like the look of many speakers that I don't like the sound of and visa versa. There are plenty I won't bring into the house to audition, because I hate the look for my room and decor in general. I personally don't like the huge speakers for many reasons. I have yet to hear one that is coherent to my ears and I don't like the visual of them. that's just me. I do appreciate a great looking cabinet though. Being a woodworker, I think it's cool when they are veneered perfectly (or as close as you can get with a natural material) and I greatly appreciate a non orange peel paint job ;). lol.

The QX-5 is moving to Canada.

LOL! How's the job market in Calgary? Whatever it takes to audition the QX-5!

OTOH, it may be a lot easier to just trade Trudeau for your choice of Trump/Clinton. Heck, we'll let you have both in exchange for a 1 hour QX-5 audition. No? How 'bout both for a stick of used gum?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

It's an oil town, so a nightmare. If you still have your job, count yourself lucky.

All my close friend in OK who own oil and gas companies are not doing good either. It's been brutal and it hurts the whole economy overall. There is a place somewhere between 50-75 a barrel that works for everyone. Tough situation for so many oil towns/cities.