IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

It has 10 inputs but... The 10th Is made of "1 ethernet and 2 associated USB" as It Is said In the manual. So, sélecting Input No10 mean may be Ethernet or USB with only one that be physically connected at once ?

Here is the response:

he is referring to the use of "USB Host" slots in order to host music on his home network using the QX-5. The answer to his question is yes, using an Ethernet cable connecting his QX-5 to his home network, and with a USB flash drive attached to one of the UBS Host slots.

He should then be able to play music from the USB flash drive using mConnect, and also be able to play music from his NAS through Roon to the QX-5. Notably, in order to switch sources, you have to pause the one you are currently using, wait a few seconds, then start playing from the new source.

Here is the response:

he is referring to the use of "USB Host" slots in order to host music on his home network using the QX-5. The answer to his question is yes, using an Ethernet cable connecting his QX-5 to his home network, and with a USB flash drive attached to one of the UBS Host slots.

He should then be able to play music from the USB flash drive using mConnect, and also be able to play music from his NAS through Roon to the QX-5. Notably, in order to switch sources, you have to pause the one you are currently using, wait a few seconds, then start playing from the new source.

Thank for the answer.

But... How so you select between Ethernet and USB input since they are booth Input No10 ??

reading the manual, I see that on the QX-5, the ethernet port and the 2 USB port, all 3, use the same input N°10, so... I wonder if it is possible to have the QX-5 connected to the network (where I have a NAS attached) and also at the same time with a USB Stick in the USB port, and then for music playing, being able to switch between local music (USB) using mconnect and the music stored on the NAS (using ROON) ?

Not sure but the manual is online. I'll ask tomorrow as imout auditioning the new 40k Paradigms tonight lol.

Nice. Some feedback please ctsooner. These must be the new flagship with twin BE drivers!

These are the new flagship 35k hybrid driven with the Anthem 700W monos on each speaker. I was part of a small group who got to audition as they will be going on tour. I got to meet the folks from Paradigm and they were wonderful people. Genuine and nice. They enjoyed the music more than the gear. That as really nice. So few companies seem to be like this.

This didn't sound like a Paradigm. It shows promise, but needs many more hours to burn in I think. The sound never left the speaker. I expected much more at this price range. When I noted that the bass was flabby and had a really bad hump at 50hz, I was told that it was the recording. It may have been, but I think it could easily have been the room. The speakers were set up way too close to each other so you couldn't hear them breath if you would. They were musical though. Voices were done very nicely. No harshness in the upper registers at all. I listened for a while and had no headache like I get from some of the top 'name' speakers in this range or higher. I was impressed by the coherency of these BE drivers They did a great job here. The bass needs help, but that's most probably the burn in, or I'm hoping for their sake it is.

I tried to listen with other speakers in mind. I love powered speakers or powered subs built in. I think it helps to match amps with speakers. I like these MUCH better than the B&W' D3 series. I like them much better than the Wilson speakers, but many won't fully understand what these are about. They are plenty dynamic when needed and on one of the Dire Staits tracks the bass was pretty tight. Just not what I get from a few others, but it's also not distorted. There was air around the notes and in time there will be more. Piano and cymbals were clean and musical. The harshness of the piano was there, but not fatiguing. HARD to do, but these can do it easily.

The cabinets are beautiful. Flawless and the silver was deep metallic. They have 4 or 5 colors that will fit into most any decor I'm sure. Even the len's are attractive.

Hard to say how good these will be, but like the QX5, the bones sure are there. I'll be going back in OCT after they get some hours on them. Not sure when they will be delivered for the public. Do they compete my favorite in the 30k range, the Vandersteen 5CT's? No, I don't feel they are close, but they need to break in. I also didn't love the Krell and Nordost Frey 2 cable, but they too need break in I was told. I do wish these companies would try and show equipment with broken in gear, even if their's isn't, lol. If you are in the market for a speaker in this range, it's a must audition as it's very musical. I've felt for years that Paradigm are hit or miss speakers. I have owned them and have my family purchase them in the past, but some can be hot and ragged on top and some seem very veiled. These did have a slight veiling, but I do think much will go away as they break in. I watched them crate them up afterwards and it's as professional as it gets. Big, strong crates and they fit easily with two men packing them up.

Their models all sound different to me. I've like the higher priced ines when paired with say Ayre top of the line. Not so much with lesser gear. I liked the old ten I think it was. Not in love with one of their newest speakers I heard recently but I'm sure if it was a five or seven. Sorry.

Thanks for the feedback ctsooner. Appreciate it.

Any time. It's difficult for me as I don't like most speaker lines. I feel strongly that too many tilt their treble between 1db to up to 5 db (even the Paradigm rep agreed with me as he's been with companies who have done this). I'm very sensitive to that and folks will tell me I'm crazy, but it's a known fact in the industry. It's a false sense of openness and larger sound stage. It couldn't be further from the truth of the recording and it often just adds some distortion. That's the one thing I really was pleased with on the Paradigm. The piano had real percussive attack and the notes sounded natural. Sometimes a close venue piano will almost hurt your ears, but not quite. That's what it gave me. Vandersteen and Tidal are two of a few speakers that I've heard that have done that for me. Some speakers are one trick ponies and can do dynamics or soundstage or vocals and non complicated music. These will be able to do it all I think. Hard to tell with gear that isn't broken in and with only 30 minutes or so listening. I do know the room a bit at least. I'd love to hear these side by side with the less costly Vandersteen 5CT's though. I don't think it would be close and the Paradigm is a few thousand more. Both are powered subs built in, but I like how Vandersteen runs their amps as it's voiced off the amp that you use to run 100hz on up. I got the impression that the Anthem 700w amps they use don't do that. They also cross over higher than where Vandy crosses over, not that it matters that much. They also use the ARC room correction to set up the bass which worked nicely in the room we heard it in. It's VERY rare to me to hear bass done correctly in most of these larger speakers because they use too many drivers and or ones that are too large and aren't fast enough to keep up with the amazing materials they use now for mids and tweeters. That's the coherency problem that I always talk about.

Sorry, MS day today as I'm all over the board, but these are just more random thoughts that came to mind and I just typed so I'M not coherent today ;)

Ok, latest update from my friend who has about 150 hours on it:

All his analog guys are in wonder. It's opened up on both ends. Bass is tight, tuneful and goes room moving low. He played some cuts with bass in the low 20's and he said it was the most powerful they've had in the room. The mids are lush and accurate at the same time. They are spending hours and hours listening to all types of music. Said that the highs are 'right'. It has the best air around notes for any digital they've had in the room ever. He's had many of the top name DAC's in this room as everyone wants him to sell their gear. Everyone in his shop feels that this is the best digital piece he's had in and that includes the Berk ref mk 2 as well as the Aesthetix and AR digital pieces.

WAs told that if it's on the recording, it will be heard. Resolving, smooth, deep and powerful were some of the words he used. I asked about the size of the soundstage. Said that it's as wide as what he gets with most of the analog rigs they've had in the room and it goes deep AND high. He was surprised at how rock solid it is. I'm very encouraged as I am coming from a world class DAC. This should be fun.

That's exactly what I heard! It was really wide!

Yes, but only when it's recorded that way. When it's a smaller venue and closely miked, you get that same intimacy that you expect. Delicate or ballsy, fragile or solid. It will give you what the producer laid down. The reason I believe him is that he is using a few recordings that he's been there while they were being produced, lol. When you audition this way, it's very telling and honest.

Nah, Don't let the price points fool you :)

Dealers will always tell you (with very few exceptions) that the much pricier product sounds better. That's not always the case.

Here's a perfect example, in my humble opinion and to my ears, the Chord DAVE DAC absolutely trumps the pricey dCS Vivaldi Stack. That's no hyperbole, listen for yourself and see if you come to the same conclusion. That's at $13k DAC versus the $100K+ stack. I'm purchasing the Ayre because it's within my allocated budget, otherwise I would get the DAVE. Having said that, I look forward to a side by side comparison of the the two units.

Happy listening :)

I listened to MSB select II + Power base + Electrostatic Headphone Amp +009 (Around 16K Euro) system at Canjam 2016 show. And I compared the sound with DAVE+LCD4 . I found the SQ is really close but different in tone color and integraty. DAVE is amazing but I prefer American sound rather than British sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I listened to MSB select II + Power base + Electrostatic Headphone Amp +009 (Around 16K Euro) system at Canjam 2016 show. And I compared the sound with DAVE+LCD4 . I found the SQ is really close but different in tone color and integraty. DAVE is amazing but I prefer American sound rather than British sound.

Well can you be more specific? What do you mean by american sound, british sound, integrity, etc.? :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Well can you be more specific? What do you mean by american sound, british sound, integrity, etc.? :)

Just like the difference in accent between American English and British English. Integrity means that MSB system can not improve anymore because they have a full solution. But DAVE system can still improve by adding Hi-End power cord, USB, power rege, isolation etc. The DAVE system only use the original power cord and AQ diamond USB to connect a noisy PC.