IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

Pat, upgrade over what DAC? If it's any of the Ayre DAC's, then it's not even a question other than the dollars involved. If it's SQ, this is a whole new world. Anyone who has one has said this. My dealer is in shock daily as it keeps breaking in and he has many hours on it already. Heck nearly out of the box, it was far and away better than the 9 or Codex. Forget what goodies it offers (tons more than most any other on the market). Even it's digital volume control is excellent and I hate driving directly. That's me, but I'd much rather use a top notch preamp for SQ. Do you live near a dealer? If so, I'd go take a listen if you can.

Evidence is in the individuals ears, so that's a hard one. The bass is tighter, deeper and more detailed. It's neutral, musical and dynamic. Very dynamic and fun to listen to. The micro and macro dynamics make it so special. The sound stage and placement of instruments/voices was spectacular compared to other 15k DAC's I've listened to. I am very familiar with the new Berkley, Trinity, DCS Rossini as well as the stack. I've heard many of the boutique brands and even owned one. I know what the newest PS Audio sounds like with the new software they released. Haven't heard the newest Laminator, but I did the one before it. I do feel this Ayre will be right there with any of the DAC's I've listened to under at least 15k. I think once I get mine and get at least 600 hours or so, it will be as good or better than anything under 20k. I will be trying to get other top DAC's into my house to compare of course. Again, JMHO. I would surely get to a dealer if you can. Feel free to PM me to discuss if you want to. I have spoken to a few folks who have over 500 hours on theirs and they all say the same things and use similar words. To me that says more than what one or two of us may have heard.

I'm watching and listening to you folk. Hopefully, your juries report back with evidence of improved SQ - the only reason why I'd upgrade.
If I had to chose between running the QX5 directly or keeping the current set up, I'd have to say you would like it run directly better because your source would be better and that's the most important part . . . There is no advantage in having a digital pre inside the DAC over having a KXR Twenty. That's a world class preamp, so that's why I say it.

I recall you used to own an AX-7. What do you suppose would be the bigger increase in SQ? Upgrading from QB-9 to QX-5 or going from AX-7 to AX-5?

Also, I'm curious to get your take on the Melco. I've heard only subtle, if any, differences in SQ by tweaking the computer but the Ayre-heads think the Melco makes a big difference.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Every system will be different. What are you using? Going from the 7 to the 5/TWenty is a HUGE difference. I have found that feeding the best source has worked for ME and in MY system. When I get my own qx5 up and burned in on my system in my room, I'll have a better idea, but since I no longer have the 7 and honestly if I did, I wouldn't want to take the time to exchange the two to hear the difference in the scenario you ask about. The 7 is now discontinued, so the dealers wouldn't even be able to answer that question. I haven't heard the N1ZH, which is the unit I'm going to get, but right now the Mac Mini I"m putting up for sale to get he Melco may be as good as it. It's as good as the top Antipodes and it's sister Mac is being used in shows to show off one of the top DACs i the world, the new Empirical Audio OSDX. It has a huge Paul Hynes power supply and the mating cord is a hand drawn silver cord that makes a huge difference. Steve rebuilt everything inside the Mac that he could so it's clocked properly and is fed clean power. He lowered noise wherever he could and installed a much larger RAM and SSD. I love my server currently, but I want to network my server and the Melco is best for MY purposes as I'm not a tech guy. I know I can do it with the Mac easily, but I'd rather just do the Melco and use the ethernet ports on it and not USB.

Personally, I feel that in order

Speaker

source (server then DAC)

amplificaion

cabling

tweeks

I recall you used to own an AX-7. What do you suppose would be the bigger increase in SQ? Upgrading from QB-9 to QX-5 or going from AX-7 to AX-5?

Also, I'm curious to get your take on the Melco. I've heard only subtle, if any, differences in SQ by tweaking the computer but the Ayre-heads think the Melco makes a big difference.

Pat, upgrade over what DAC? If it's any of the Ayre DAC's, then it's not even a question other than the dollars involved. If it's SQ, this is a whole new world. Anyone who has one has said this. My dealer is in shock daily as it keeps breaking in and he has many hours on it already. Heck nearly out of the box, it was far and away better than the 9 or Codex. Forget what goodies it offers (tons more than most any other on the market). Even it's digital volume control is excellent and I hate driving directly. That's me, but I'd much rather use a top notch preamp for SQ. Do you live near a dealer? If so, I'd go take a listen if you can.

Evidence is in the individuals ears, so that's a hard one. The bass is tighter, deeper and more detailed. It's neutral, musical and dynamic. Very dynamic and fun to listen to. The micro and macro dynamics make it so special. The sound stage and placement of instruments/voices was spectacular compared to other 15k DAC's I've listened to. I am very familiar with the new Berkley, Trinity, DCS Rossini as well as the stack. I've heard many of the boutique brands and even owned one. I know what the newest PS Audio sounds like with the new software they released. Haven't heard the newest Laminator, but I did the one before it. I do feel this Ayre will be right there with any of the DAC's I've listened to under at least 15k. I think once I get mine and get at least 600 hours or so, it will be as good or better than anything under 20k. I will be trying to get other top DAC's into my house to compare of course. Again, JMHO. I would surely get to a dealer if you can. Feel free to PM me to discuss if you want to. I have spoken to a few folks who have over 500 hours on theirs and they all say the same things and use similar words. To me that says more than what one or two of us may have heard.

Dear ctsooner, Since I am hesitating between several DACs including the PSAudio Direct stream and the QX-5, how do you feel they compare SQ wise ?

Indeed, I have a BHSE+SR009 that need a very precise BUT also musical & warm DAC to warm up a little my Stax set-up without loosing his wonderful precision.

Based on what I've heard, I feel the Ayre will probably be plenty warm. It's the most neutral of the two as well as the most dynamic as long as you are feeding it a great source. That's the key. What is your connection and cable? How do you have your. Modem, router and internet connection set up? Tons of variables but to me, I like the Ayre better than the PS Audio, but keep in ind that I also chose The Empirical over the PS Audio too. It's a great DAC, but didn't give as good sound for many of us. There is that huge Audiogon thread that you are on and I'm in contact with many on the thread and we talk all the time. A few of us have also sent them back and forth to try so I really have had many in MY SYSTEM. Yours. At be different but you must get to hear the QX5 if you are shopping for any DAC in the 20k down range. It hits much higher than its priced plus all the inputs are optimized as is the balanced headphone amp that BLACKSTONE LOVES. I heard the cans amp single mode not broken in and was blown away and I have been listening to an Antelope as well as Woo. JMHO

I think I may just sell it to the highest bidder and just move the music to a hard drive and then once I get the Melco, move that music over to it. Is that pretty easy to do?

Simply hook the drive to the Melco via USB, the Melco will ask if you want to transfer the contents and , being a clever guy, you will enter "yes".

We love the Melco not only because of the great sound, but we can let our computer averse customers self install and usually not have to call for help.

Scott, thanks. That's what I had been told. That's one reason I'm getting it and forgoing Roon. The QX5 arrived!!!! (thanks Alex ;) ). I"m very excited as I unpacked it and hooked it up and walked through the set up instructions. I called the guys at Ayre and they walked me through my Tidal and wifi set up. I have to use wifi for now as I'm waiting to get my Melco up and running before getting an electrician in to run cables etc for separate optical set ups for the Ayre, Melco, Apple TV and the TV itself. I figure that once I have an electrician in the house, I'll also ask him if he can separate the wall outlets in the audio area from the other outlets and lights in the room (or on that breaker). I'm also moving my internet over to Comcast at 300 mbs I think he said. Then I'll get the top Arris modem and I"m still figuring out the correct router. Then it will be the fiber optic converter for the ethernet runs and I should be set.

Sound quality: stone cold it was not good. For those coming into this from other lower DAC's, you will be very happy and realize your sound stage will have both width and depth. You will hear bass that you haven't heard yet. This is all with streamed Tidal via wifi, lol. I won't use the server until this weekend. It's been on since yesterday at 2pm or so. I have surgery on Wed, so if I leave on the TV solid, it should be sounding good by the time I get back. The bones are sure there though. Even this morning my wife asked me what I changed in the system as the bass is really thumping (I went to music this morning from the TV feed). The nice thing is that unlike their pre amp or integrated, you don't need to burn in each input separately. You also don't need to turn up the volume like those two to get a proper break in. This thing already sounds big and ballsy. I wan't sure if I was going to happy with the bass coming from the DAC I am. I can tell you that I know how this will break in as I've heard one that is and it's special. I'm pretty excited about this.

Simply hook the drive to the Melco via USB, the Melco will ask if you want to transfer the contents and , being a clever guy, you will enter "yes".

We love the Melco not only because of the great sound, but we can let our computer averse customers self install and usually not have to call for help.

Hi All, NewBie here. I'd like to chime in on this QX 5 thread after following this thread and the one on the other site( Abaolute Top tier Dac ) I purchased one unheard from these rave reviews Thursday and now have 45 hours on mine and yes it was cold and sterile at first but sure has opened up now.

I spoke to Mike at Arye this morning about burn in time as I mentioned 600 plus hours he said around 4-500 the unit we'll be broken in but will continue to bloom. When I asked Mike about connections he stated the Ethernet connection would sound the best which conterdicts what has been reported on the forums. I at this stage am just running USB has I let the unit burn in before I play with connections much.

So just to add confusion I upped my power amp from a Bryston 3BST to a 4B "Cubed," which is the latest from Bryston (not sure if it is the best amp in product lineup as I have not done that much research), for the weekend, thanks to audio guru and enabler in chief Scottsol @ Audio Consultants -Evanston.

I wanted to take an older power amp out of the chain that might be QX-5 Twenty back a bit. Assuming the Bryston is quieter and more transparent, in addition to being more powerful, which I believe it is, I can tell you I like my QX-5 Twenty even more with this amp. There was never really much doubt the new Bryston amp would be better, but when you change a downstream component there is always the possibility you won't like everything you hear upstream. That is certainly not the case here! I have been playing music I just normally would not play or sit and listen to for any extended period time simply because the sound (with both amps) is so engaging. I have hard time believing even the most orthodox analog and tube enthusiast would not like this thing. I feel like there should a wall of LP records in here, not a hard drive. It has that mojo. Frankly QX-5 Twenty was a big step up in price point for me and I did not even believe this kind of "mojo" even existed.

Next week I am going to track down a VX-5 Twenty power amp for a full slab of Ayre goodness and then I will know for sure if speakers or an amp is next on the list. I am ruling out the AX-5 Twenty because I think the multiple analog inputs and volume control are unnecessary for me with this QX-5 Twenty and separates leaves the door open for a really good pre down the road after the rest of the system is addressed.

That is all for now!

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

I am using async USB from my PC directly to QX-5 Twenty until I can get a Melco in there. Then I will likely use async USB from the Melco. I have no experience with streaming. I only 24 bit lossless files and redbook if I must.

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

350 on the headphones and about 100 on the main ouputs.

I have now had the unit on since Wed I believe it was around 2:30pm. I will say the top is getting hot, but not hotter than it has been. I have it well ventilated though and don't think it's a problem. The sound so far is outstanding. I hear it hourly getting better and better. I love waking up and turning up the volume after a good night sleep. Major difference daily. This DAC will be a keeper, that's for sure. It's a killer folks and punches way out of it's league. I can't wait to get the Berkley Ref 2 back in the system after this thing breaks in. I can already tell it will beat it by a large margin. I'll be hearing the Chord Dave in a few weeks, but the Dave I have heard didn't have nearly the bass of this unit and that's without break in. Chord usually has a very strong high end that will sound etched in the wrong system. There is no forgiveness in that DAC. It's one of the most detailed DAC's I've ever heard and I've heard many of the newest car priced DACS as Chris calls them, lol.

This QX5 so far is very relaxed, detailed and dynamic as heck. Both extensions of the range will get better and better and the sound stage will get bigger as it breaks in, but already it's crazy good. I know that many die in the wool analog junkies are loving this unit and hear how great digital done right can be. This Mac Mini that I'm about to put on the market is sounding SOOOO much better than it did with my Empirical Audio DAC and that thing crushes SO many DAC's I've heard and that's why I bought i in the first place. I really thought I had heard the best from the Ayre AX5 Twenty, but it's now showing bass I haven't heard in this room ever. It's going to tighten up even more, but it's already sounding outstanding. Tuneful and revealing are two words that pop out to me as I listen to a wonderful cut of Spinning Wheel by BS&T. I'm hearing the venue of Paul Simon as he sings Diamonds on the soles of her shoes. It's a wonderful cut and it's only in 44.1. Now listening to Midnight Rambler in 176 and I heard the difference from the 44.1 cut I have. Very subtle, but it's there. I so prefer listening in native sample rates. I am not an upsample fan by any means.

Yes, if you are thinking about doing this, just do it. If you are looking at the DAVE or this one, personally I'm a fan of this Ayre as to me the Chord makes a great great DAC, but it just doesn't dig as deep as other DAC's (not just this one) are right now. This thing is a special one. Now I'm about to sell the Treo's and upgrade to the Quatro's. It's worth it as I'll now be feeding it an even better signal and will get to hear the purity of the high end, the depth and emotion of the vocals and the air movement that a powered sub will give me.

Hi CT, I was reading an earlier comment you made on page 6 I believe ( I was told that the Ethernet connections if set up properly and isolated will be a quieter connection than any USB regardless of how much thought they put it to the USB connection. So much for newbies to learn) Could you be more specific for a newbie on a proper set up for ethernet connection, what router and connections?

I will be using a Melco that has an isolated ethernet connection directly into the DAC, so it's quiet with no extra noise from the house grid. An ethernet connection will pass bad packets (where the info is stored), but will ask the host unit to fix them and resend them (this is a very basic way of putting it). USB will not ask for bad packets to be resent. Ayre uses the top Melco's ethernet connection during their R&D work. I will also have to have both units on the network for updated and to stream, plus I'll be using the Melco as a NAS so my Linn bedroom system can see it too. I will be using a fiber optic converter with a linear power supply on the Melco and Ayre end of things to cut down on as much noise as I can. There are inexpensive converters that will work fine, but at this level, there are commercial switches, routers and converters that will be quieter most probably. I'm waiting on a friend to get back to me on specific components that he finds works best for him. Then I'll probably try going that route. Go read Michael Lavorgna's piece on conversion on his website Audio stream. He has the best write up and pics on the subject. There are numerous threads on this site outlining conversation, but they are very technical and probably over my head in many aspects. Hopefully that will help you out. If you are serious about this topic, I'd start on Audiostream.com first and then with a base knowledge head over to the multitude of threads over here. That's exactly what I ended up doing and I learned a ton. Then I heard this in action at a store in FL and was blown away at how quiet the line was. It was amazing. They just had the basic components that audio stream laid out, bu they had a LPS on the end of the chain that made a difference.

Hi CT, I was reading an earlier comment you made on page 6 I believe ( I was told that the Ethernet connections if set up properly and isolated will be a quieter connection than any USB regardless of how much thought they put it to the USB connection. So much for newbies to learn) Could you be more specific for a newbie on a proper set up for ethernet connection, what router and connections?

Looks like there is a firmware update for both the network module and the general firmware. And it looks like they addressed my input switching issue but I have not installed this yet.

[TABLE=width: 800, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]Ayre QX-5 Digital Hub Firmware Update

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Release Information:

Release date: October 12, 2016.

Category: Latest Official Release

Network Firmware Version: 02.08.09

General Firmware Version: B

For a list of previous revisions, click redarrowrt_sm.pnghere.

Release Notes:

This firmware is designed only for the Ayre QX-5. Compared to the previous official release of firmware 02.07.13 and general firmware A, this version focuses on addressing a few bugs discovered at release.

Please note that BOTH the network and general firmwares must be updated seperately in order to complete the update. If only one update is completed, the unit will still exhibit the same behavior as the previous firmware version.

1. Resolved a bug encountered when connecting to the network via AP mode. This bug caused the QX-5 to display
    "AP ..." and never display "CONNECTED", even after having found the network. The unit will now correctly display "CONNECTED" when it has successfuly connected to the network.
  2. Resolved a bug that could occasionally cause the network playback to drop off while switching to inputs other than 10. This was encountered in some networks while actively sending the network module a file while simultaneously playing a different sample rate through a different input that was selected. This would cause the module to no longer respond to commands until the unit was powered off and back on.
  3. Added AyreLink ID "D" when selecting DX-5 from the pre-programmed inputs naming list.
  4. Modified the QX-5 to only accept volume up/down commands via AyreLink for product ID "Q" to avoid conflicts with other Ayre devices found in a typical system. Before it would accept all AyreLink volume commands regardless of product ID.
  5. Added an option to reset the network connection via the Setup Menu (found under NET). This allows the user to force the network module to search again for a network connection via a connected Ethernet connection and can be used if a connection is not found when first setting the unit up. Before, the QX-5 may not see an Ethernet connection if the Ethernet cable is connected after the unit has already been plugged in and powered on and could only be reset by turning the power off and back on again. Using reset also forces the network module to forget all WiFi settings and device naming previously setup. This is useful if using the QX-5 wirelessly with a different network.

Firmware Updates:

Firmware updates may be made available for the QX-5 Twenty. These updates may provide new features and/or improve the use and reliability of your unit. There are two types of firmware updates that are available for the QX-5 Twenty.

Do not turn off the QX-5 Twenty while updates are in progress.

Firmware Upgrade Instructions:

Warning: Although the firmware upgrade is an easy and usually trouble-free process, it is important to ensure that the power supply to the player is stable, and the upgrade process is not interrupted. A failed firmware upgrade can render the player unusable.

Network Updates

Network updates only affect the network module of the QX-5. Whenever the QX-5 Twenty is switched from standby to operation mode, the installed network device will connect with the Ayre web server to check for a network update. If an update is available, the unit will show the word UPDATE? in the display. Choose either to begin the upgrade by pressing the right-hand button (illuminated green) or cancel the update by pressing the left-hand button (illuminated red). If the update is cancelled, note that the QX-5 will ask to update the network module every time it is taken out of standby mode. As it is important to stay current with updates, there is no way to permanently cancel an update check.

If you press the right-hand button, the update will begin and the word UPDATING along with numbers (5…10…15…etc.) will appear on the display, showing the progress of the update until complete at 100, and the display will read UPDATE DONE.

General Firmware Updates

General updates affect the firmware for the unit’s operating system, display, digital filters, etc. The general firmware of the QX-5 Twenty may be updated for ease of use and reliability. The unit’s firmware version can be found by accessing the Setup Menu.

1) Enter the Setup Menu, from MAIN INPUT, scroll to the right (using the right arrow on the control ring) until you see FW REV.

2) Press the right-hand button and the firmware version will be displayed as "FW-X xx.xx.xx". The letter following "FW-" is the general firmware revision. The "xx.xx.xx" portion shows the network firmware revision.

3) If the QX-5 Twenty’s firmware version does not match the version listed next to General Firmware Version at the top of this page, then download the new version from redarrowrt_sm.pnghere

4) Extract the QX5boot folder from the QX5boot.zip file and save the folder and all of its contents to the root directory of a USB flash drive. It is very important that this folder appears at the root level of the flash drive or the QX-5 will not recognize it.

5) Find the rocker switch on the back panel of the unit and switch it to “OFF”.

6) Insert the USB flash drive into the port labeled “Firmware Update” on the back panel.

7) Turn the rocker switch on the back panel of the unit to “ON”. The firmware update will commence automatically. While the unit is updating itself, left-hand button will be illuminated red. When complete, the unit will return to system-sleep mode.

8) Return the unit to operation mode by pressing the right-hand button.

9) Remove the USB flash drive from the back of the unit. If it is accidentely left in, the unit will re-update itself every time it is turned on.

Contact Ayre Support:

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

2300-B Central Avenue

Boulder, CO 80301 USA

Phone: (303) 442-7300 [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks. Wl do this when I get back home. Alex said it would be out SOON lol. He's a man of his word

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I just did both updates. Input switching looks rock solid now. I can switch from a live WASAPI stream from jriver to TV and back again and to ethernet and back no problem. Looks like I might get the digital "hub" I always wanted after all.

I use the Audio Research DAC8. Reasons why I chose it, over an Ayer DAC, are lost in the folds of time.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

Ok. So you have heard the QX5 burned in vs the AR ? I'm very familiar with all the AR Dacs. I am pretty close with many who are also familiar with the 8 and 9 and prefer the Ayre by a lot in all areas. I have auditioned the 9 vs the QX5 in the same system using all AR ref amps ( have owned and loved AR gear and still do love the amps) and purchased the QX5. Again, just my ears but some folks love other gear. It's all good.