IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

It rocks BIG TIME. The one I heard had more time on it. Units tend to sound thinner and more anemic when not broken in. QB-9 DSD was almost unlistenable before break in. Ayre makes a great break in CD, by the way. Very excited. Breaking in is part of the ritual. This will go faster than normal because I will run the TV sound into it as well. I expect headphone and rear outputs will need individual break in, however.

Warm up is a factor too. In the morning at Evanston QX-5 was just okay, but by the late afternoon when I went back it was killer and liquid smooth. I did not even want to leave that room!

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

It rocks BIG TIME. The one I heard had more time on it. Units tend to sound thinner and more anemic when not broken in. QB-9 DSD was almost unlistenable before break in. Ayre makes a great break in CD, by the way. Very excited. Breaking in is part of the ritual. This will go faster than normal because I will run the TV sound into it as well. I expect headphone and rear outputs will need individual break in, however.

Warm up is a factor too. In the morning at Evanston QX-5 was just okay, but by the late afternoon when I went back it was killer and liquid smooth. I did not even want to leave that room!

How would you describe the improvement over the QB-9? (That's essentially what I've got in my Ayre DX-5). I've barely finished paying for the "twenty" upgrades to the MX-R's and KX-R, so I have no business thinking about spending more for a while, but...

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

How would you describe the improvement over the QB-9? (That's essentially what I've got in my Ayre DX-5). I've barely finished paying for the "twenty" upgrades to the MX-R's and KX-R, so I have no business thinking about spending more for a while, but...

The DX-5 has a very different output circuit and power supplies to the QB-9. It would be a mistake to think they sound the same.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

The DX-5 has a very different output circuit and power supplies to the QB-9. It would be a mistake to think they sound the same.

Of course they wouldn't sound the same. That wasn't my question. I'm just trying to get feedback from someone who has what I have as to the magnitude of improvement.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

The old DAC isn't in the same category as this DAC. That I could tell late Sat night as it continued to burn in. As good as that DAC was, it's not the same thing. Neither is the universal player etc.. We used the DX5 to spin discs to the qx5 and for a transport I was impressed but it is in no way as good as streaming Tidal or even playing off a basic Macbook that has NO upgrades.

As for magnitude of upgrade, I actually had that conversation with Alex and he just said that this is a whole new ballgame. Again, none of us know how good this DAC will be, but we do know that it's already outstanding and that's without full break in.

You have the R stack, so this would be a great DAC for sure. You know your budget better than any of us do, lol. If you want a DAC that equals your current system, I'd give this DAC a listen for sure, but you'll need to start setting some dollars aside as you'll probably want it, lol.

The old DAC isn't in the same category as this DAC. That I could tell late Sat night as it continued to burn in. As good as that DAC was, it's not the same thing. Neither is the universal player etc.. We used the DX5 to spin discs to the qx5 and for a transport I was impressed but it is in no way as good as streaming Tidal or even playing off a basic Macbook that has NO upgrades.

As for magnitude of upgrade, I actually had that conversation with Alex and he just said that this is a whole new ballgame. Again, none of us know how good this DAC will be, but we do know that it's already outstanding and that's without full break in.

You have the R stack, so this would be a great DAC for sure. You know your budget better than any of us do, lol. If you want a DAC that equals your current system, I'd give this DAC a listen for sure, but you'll need to start setting some dollars aside as you'll probably want it, lol.

It's tempting. I don't use the DX-5 transport for music anymore, having ripped all our CDs and SACDs. We do use it for Blu Ray movies, but I suppose I could sell the DX-5 to raise some cash and buy an Oppo or similar for Blu Ray use.

It's tempting. I don't use the DX-5 transport for music anymore, having ripped all our CDs and SACDs. We do use it for Blu Ray movies, but I suppose I could sell the DX-5 to raise some cash and buy an Oppo or similar for Blu Ray use.

IF you can, I love that idea. Lot's of folks will want a gently used DX-5 I'm sure. I've got so many Blue Ray players in the house. Folks tease me all the time, but the ones I use all the time are my Marantz as the picture is awesome, but if I were to buy a new one I'd just get a Panasonic for less than 200. It have a wonderful picture and you don't care about the internal DAC since you are taking the optical out and sending it to the QX-5/Twenty.

One thing I spoke at length with Alex on is how they handled all the legacy inputs. Each one if optimized for best sound quality and the lowest jitter. We all get way too wrapped up in sample rates and high res music now that marketing talks about sampling rates. I really wish everyone would have gotten on talking about bits since the biggest SQ difference is bits vs sample rate. Redbook sampled at 44 can sound much better than an average recording at higher sample rates. Upsampling of music hasn't sounded best for me either in my systems.

Sorry to go on a tangent, but it was part of the conversation. By getting a true digital hub, all you need are inputs from any digital out devices and it surely will have enough of each input you desire. Since you already have HD storage, that's going to be your main input and you will stream Tidal from the QX-5/Twenty. It's just simple and the new remote is excellent.

Yes, if you can, just sell the DX5 and get the QX5 and an inexpensive blue ray that you like the picture of and make it simple and call it a day. JMHO, but it's your dollars lol...

One thing I cannot currently do with my system is stream video. Does the QX-5 have an HDMI audio input suitable for connecting an Apple TV? I don't think I'd want to connect it permanently, since it would introduce noise, but once in a while it would be nice to be able to watch something from iTunes or Netflix.

One thing I cannot currently do with my system is stream video. Does the QX-5 have an HDMI audio input suitable for connecting an Apple TV? I don't think I'd want to connect it permanently, since it would introduce noise, but once in a while it would be nice to be able to watch something from iTunes or Netflix.

Ultra, there is an easy way to connect your video sources, but it only does the audio for it. It's not the HDMI connection though since they are only doing the audio. I personally stream most everything from my TV or satellite box, but I too use Apple TV and use the optical output. Nothing you will listen to is more than 96 for sampling anyway and their optical inputs are all optimized to deal with the higher jitter rates you get from these types of sources that use these outputs. Hope I said that properly. You'd still just do the HDMI to the TV and run all the audio through the QX5. There's some setting you can use to deal with any time delays also. It's called movie mode or something like that. You can see it in the instructions. Each input has it's own personally set up label and mode. It's really cool. Most will only use 4 or 5 inputs i'd assume, so it's only going to take a few minutes to set them up and then it's done until you change things up, lol. I do the same with the AX5 and you do the same with the KXR I'm sure. Since you are used to the Aryre menu, it's going to be a breeze once you get in there to do it.

Right, there is an audio mode I think for each input which does some buffering to slave the incoming signal to the QX-5's clock for less jitter, but that solution breaks sync with video so it can be disabled for video sources. I am going to run the toslink out or my TV to get all the video source audio into the dac including Roku, Comcast, video game console. Probably not a great solution but with so many devices having only HDMI output there is not much choice. A small HTPC with netflix and a blu ray drive would enable input to QX-5 via async usb for movies.

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

ctsooner, Apple TV has no optical out. So if the new Ayre piece has no HDMI input, that would be a limitation for me.

I isn't that how I have my Apple TV hooked up? Hmmm, I'll have to look. I have an older one though. As Blackstone said you can run it through the TV and then get the optical out of the TV. I have always had my bedroom system set up that way and inside the Panasonic I have an audio delay feature for just this reason. It hasn't really hurt the sound that much, plus with all the inputs the Apple TV would be the only one you need to do this for. I also watch as much over the air TV as there is no compression and the sound is awesome for concerts on public TV, lol. Ultra, I think you'd be just fine. I really do. They've worked hard to make all the inputs sound as good as they can. I also have an Empirical Audio Synchromesh thatI've had to use with my last DAC to get all the digital hook ups I have needed. It sounds GREAT and I may keep it and see what I like best. I have a feeling the Synchromesh will be sold, lol.

Roku 4 with optical out is the way to for 4k streaming. To hell with apple tv!

That's great Blackstone. I didn't realize that. Is their audio quality better than Apple also? When we spend so much on audio, I guess spending an extra hundred on a comparable streamer for video isn't that costly lol.

Ayre added QX-5 to their website and indicated that it is now shipping. Not that I believe it but it is a good sign! My birthday is Saturday...there is still time!

Yes, they just added it and it has started to ship. First the dealers and then the first group of us who put our orders in. It's all good. Can't wait myself, lol. I'm sure you'll let us know when yours arrives, lol.

Ayre added QX-5 to their website and indicated that it is now shipping. Not that I believe it but it is a good sign! My birthday is Saturday...there is still time!

I've talked to Alex about all your complimentary posts and he has agreed to not put you lower on the list just because you are a customer of mine :)

I've talked to Alex about all your complimentary posts and he has agreed to not put you lower on the list just because you are a customer of mine :)

If you would have shared some of the corned beef I got for you with Alex I would probably have the unit already!

The logistics of getting our corned beef are daunting living in the city. I very nearly ate your supply myself. When I move to the burbs in September I will have better access to the deli.

My family owns a deli and we make our own corned beef. I bribed Scottsol with corned beef to get the demo configured the way I wanted. Of course Scottsol might have done this for me without corned beef, but it was the only way to be sure. Nevermind that I am actually in the market for speakers and amps as well (QX-5 will be my best component) --the corned beef was the decisive factor!