IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

I was told USB is still the best. I would not overthink your front end until you have the QX-5 and break it in. If you go Ethernet I hear Cat 7 cable is the way to go. Eventually Melco will need to address Roon support because the industry seems to be headed in that direction. I would just wait on the Melco and see what the QX can do first.

I will tinker with hq player. I have never heard it.

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

I was told USB is still the best. I would not overthink your front end until you have the QX-5 and break it in. If you go Ethernet I hear Cat 7 cable is the way to go. Eventually Melco will need to address Roon support because the industry seems to be headed in that direction. I would just wait on the Melco and see what the QX can do first.

I will tinker with hq player. I have never heard it.

I actually am going to be speaking with a couple of guys who have a large thread on Audiogon about this. I have held off on the front end to see where things are headed. I do want to get my CD's onto a disk drive etc, but I love Tidal and can stream that from the QX direction I believe. for now, I'll have to use an Airport Extreme for that I think. I still use the TT a lot too. Yes, Cat 7 is the best way to go right now and no one I know questions that. Possibly the engineers who say that copper is copper etc... may disagree. not sure about that and don't care, lol. Melco can't do anything to get Roon to run on it's system. That's why Roon is working on getting it to run in an ARM processor. That's all on Roon and I can't find out where they stand on that.

There is also a solid state drive version of the Melco that is not yet available in the US because of intellectual property issues with Samsung or something.

Frankly I am waiting for solid state drives to increase in capacity and come down in price before setting up a dedicated NAS. The absolute best SQ according to dealer is async usb from the Melco, which they claimed was "two levels" up from what I heard. Don't doubt it but I did not like the Melco's control app.

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

Just to clarify, I only heard the Melco via ethernet, not usb. There was a hiccup and we could not get it to work.

As to the Melco's quality, dealer assured me it surpassed everything they tried, including their attempts to create a bespoke custom server PC and competing devices, even with SoTm usb filters and all that stuff.

Just to clarify, I only heard the Melco via ethernet, not usb. There was a hiccup and we could not get it to work.

As to the Melco's quality, dealer assured me it surpassed everything they tried, including their attempts to create a bespoke custom server PC and competing devices, even with SoTm usb filters and all that stuff.

Heard similar too, but no one I know likes the Melco control apps. I have all Apple gear and want to use my iPad to control my system. I am fully aware of the SSD Melco. the best they have done so far is offer the same Melco with three power supplies in a HDD version. Was told it's awesome, but not the same as the SSD. The other option I have is just getting an Aurender for now and downloading my high res stuff to that and then ripping to the Aurender and letting everything else play out. If I get the Aurender, then I can set up a NUC for Roon if I even want that. I did like the Aurender app on it's own.

• 2 weeks later...
I spent some time with the QX-5 in my own system this past week and tested a number of different features. I mostly used it as a DAC with fixed output. I found the sound to be outstanding and definitely better than any of Ayre's previous DACs and players. I personally owned a QB-9 for many years and thought the QX-5 exceeded its performance in every way. I put it through its paces as a USB and Network DAC, as well as a Roon endpoint. I also used it with Spotify Connect and the Ayre recommended mcontrol app, both of which worked very well and sounded great.

If anyone has any questions regarding any of its functionality or sound quality, I'm happy to answer any questions.

Full disclose - I am an authorized Ayre Dealer

You have a PM.

Ok, so now I've spoke with someone who makes their own server using top grade parts and software etc... He can build in an A/D converter and put in an AES3 connection as it would most probably sound best with the Ayre. I have also spoken with Neal Van Berg who builds the Music Vault. I like his Diamond Ultra streamer/server. A close friend has one and swears by it. It has Roon built in, a blue ray ripper with dbpoweramp and a 2T or 4T WD Cloud for back up, an A/D converter to rip my albums and it can use an external clock if I ever want to go there. I've heard his older models and for the time, they were the best I had heard. He knows what he's doing and supports his products as good as anyone I know.

I'm still open, but these last two options seem to sound better than the Aurender N10 in USB form. I probably can't go wrong with either as the interface is nice and they are versatile. Has anyone heard the MV yet? I'd love impressions from others. Thanks.

Ok, so now I've spoke with someone who makes their own server using top grade parts and software etc... He can build in an A/D converter and put in an AES3 connection as it would most probably sound best with the Ayre. I have also spoken with Neal Van Berg who builds the Music Vault. I like his Diamond Ultra streamer/server. A close friend has one and swears by it. It has Roon built in, a blue ray ripper with dbpoweramp and a 2T or 4T WD Cloud for back up, an A/D converter to rip my albums and it can use an external clock if I ever want to go there. I've heard his older models and for the time, they were the best I had heard. He knows what he's doing and supports his products as good as anyone I know.

I'm still open, but these last two options seem to sound better than the Aurender N10 in USB form. I probably can't go wrong with either as the interface is nice and they are versatile. Has anyone heard the MV yet? I'd love impressions from others. Thanks.

I'd just purchase a reputable USB A/D converter instead of building one in. An RME or something similar.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I'd just purchase a reputable USB A/D converter instead of building one in. An RME or something similar.

thanks. I guess that could make sense. Just liked the idea of it being built right into the server/streamer. Dr Tone, what server do you use?

thanks. I guess that could make sense. Just liked the idea of it being built right into the server/streamer. Dr Tone, what server do you use?

Virtual with iSCSI LUNS on my NAS for storage. I don't waste audiophile money at the server my expectation bias of it not making a difference saves me money.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Virtual with iSCSI LUNS on my NAS for storage. I don't waste audiophile money at the server my expectation bias of it not making a difference saves me money.

Not sure if I understand. Are you saying that you don't feel a server make a difference? If so, have you ever auditioned various servers? Honestly, I've heard some bigger differences in servers than I have in turntable/arm/cartridges. I don't think I fully understand what your saying. Sorry. thanks

Not sure if I understand. Are you saying that you don't feel a server make a difference? If so, have you ever auditioned various servers? Honestly, I've heard some bigger differences in servers than I have in turntable/arm/cartridges. I don't think I fully understand what your saying. Sorry. thanks

A server to me is no where near my audio equipment and only accessible through my network. I think server is a direct connected source to you?

A server to me is no where near my audio equipment and only accessible through my network. I think server is a direct connected source to you?

yes, it's directly connected to the DAC. I take it your server is on the NAS and connected via the ethernet? I'm still learning about the digital side so that's why I say I don't understand. I've heard folks who use a server built into their NAS and I didn't like how it sounded at all. It was at a dealer who knew how to build things out. They are also a Wilson dealer and I hope no-one takes this the wrong way, Wilson's just aren't my kind of speaker, so that may have had something to do with it. It was all played through Ayre ref gear and I am an Ayre guy. I'm very familiar with Wilson's sound and I am very familiar with the Ayre ref gear too, but when we played the same tracks through an Aurender N10 all of us liked it better. Not sure if I'll understand your set up, but I need to ask so I can learn. thanks and please don't take my post on Wilson's or any of this as negative. Just not for me, that's all. :)

yes, it's directly connected to the DAC. I take it your server is on the NAS and connected via the ethernet? I'm still learning about the digital side so that's why I say I don't understand. I've heard folks who use a server built into their NAS and I didn't like how it sounded at all. It was at a dealer who knew how to build things out. They are also a Wilson dealer and I hope no-one takes this the wrong way, Wilson's just aren't my kind of speaker, so that may have had something to do with it. It was all played through Ayre ref gear and I am an Ayre guy. I'm very familiar with Wilson's sound and I am very familiar with the Ayre ref gear too, but when we played the same tracks through an Aurender N10 all of us liked it better. Not sure if I'll understand your set up, but I need to ask so I can learn. thanks and please don't take my post on Wilson's or any of this as negative. Just not for me, that's all. :)

My back end server is more of a corporate type environment for redundancy, easy expansion, and cloud backups. It was never designed specifically for audio. No offense, I don't think I could explain it and have you ever understand it.

I have a dedicated windows 10 box with a sotm battery powered usb card feeding my dac. It's running roonbridge.

No offense take on the Wilsons different strokes for different folks, but trying to compare music sources "servers in your words" across completely different analog audio harware is something I wouldn't even bother doing for obvious reasons. There needs to be some common frame of reference on the analog side.

My back end server is more of a corporate type environment for redundancy, easy expansion, and cloud backups. It was never designed specifically for audio. No offense, I don't think I could explain it and have you ever understand it.

I have a dedicated windows 10 box with a sotm battery powered usb card feeding my dac. It's running roonbridge.

No offense take on the Wilsons different strokes for different folks, but trying to compare music sources "servers in your words" across completely different analog audio harware is something I wouldn't even bother doing for obvious reasons. There needs to be some common frame of reference on the analog side.

Well put and I totally agree. The nice thing is that I do understand the basics and understand lot's of what you are talking about. I have been speaking recently with a lot of Windows architects I guess you'd call them, so I am learning a lot. Soon I may even be able to put it together and figure out things even more. Are you saying in your last sentence that all digital will sound differently on whatever amps I'll be using? Not sure I understood, but thanks for sharing what you have. Lot's of cool stuff.

Well put and I totally agree. The nice thing is that I do understand the basics and understand lot's of what you are talking about. I have been speaking recently with a lot of Windows architects I guess you'd call them, so I am learning a lot. Soon I may even be able to put it together and figure out things even more. Are you saying in your last sentence that all digital will sound differently on whatever amps I'll be using? Not sure I understood, but thanks for sharing what you have. Lot's of cool stuff.

No I was saying it would be impossible to tell the difference between digital front ends if you don't keep the analogue back end constant. You can't tell the difference between the microRendu and a macmini when one is played through a Ayre and Wilsons and the other through McIntosh and Magico. Brands as an example only.

No I was saying it would be impossible to tell the difference between digital front ends if you don't keep the analogue back end constant. You can't tell the difference between the microRendu and a macmini when one is played through a Ayre and Wilsons and the other through McIntosh and Magico. Brands as an example only.

I understand what you are saying. I go to that dealer regularly and know the equipment very well so when he plays two different digital pieces I can make a good general idea of what something sound like based on what I'm looking for. There are a few dealers I'm friendly with and have or do business with where i know the system and room and can make a pretty good evaluation for myself. the problem I have in trying to chose what to do on my digital front end is that I can't hear any of these servers that guys are putting together in their homes. It stinks for me since I bet some are better for the price than what I'll be getting. I can go hear the Music Vault in a system I"m fairly familiar with and I'll probably borrow a friends Aurender N10 to bring with me.

I have a DELA N1A ( a Japanese version of MELCO N1A) hook to Marantz N8005 via both ethernet and USB port. The ethernet connection easily surpassed USB, especially with "direct mode". I also tried ethernet to Oppo 105d and had the same result comparing with USB. So far the only connection I use is Ethernet.

cheers,

Kien Do

image.jpg

I have a DELA N1A ( a Japanese version of MELCO N1A) hook to Marantz N8005 via both ethernet and USB port. The ethernet connection easily surpassed USB, especially with "direct mode". I also tried ethernet to Oppo 105d and had the same result comparing with USB. So far the only connection I use is Ethernet.

Alex from Ayre will be there just like at the other stores he's been to. I believe this is the first Northeast showing of the QX5 and all are invited. Johnny Rutan has been mentioned as one of the best and honest dealers in the country in the last two Stereophile articles about two jazz musicians and their systems (must read articles I feel as it's a different slant than we usually see).

who else plans to attend? Would love to know ahead of time. i posted another thread about this. If you see a guy using a rollator (walk with wheels), thats me. Please come over to say hi. thanks.

cheers,

Kien Do

Yes, I spoke for a long time the other night with a very high end DAC maker the other night and he too said that the Ethernet connection is best, but ONLY if it's implemented properly. The AES/EBU connection can also be the best connection depending on the design of the DAC. I'm all over the board as to which way to go. I am still looking at the Melco N1A used as a NAS only and then using optical cable runs with the converters to use Ethernet connection to the Router for the QX5 streaming etc...

Can't wait to see the QX5 and listen next Saturday at Audio Connection in Verona, NJ...YES, I want to meet as many of you guys as possible, lol. I'm assuming it will be featured on the Vandersteen 7 mk2 with the Ayre MXR and KXR with all top end Audio Quest cabling.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great day at Audio Connections in NJ. I've become a fanboy of them (they aren't the only dealer I frequent) because Johnny is a great human being. He really does care. I continually see him keeping folks within they budgets and coming up with great systems.

The star of the day though was the QX5/Twenty. It was a fun day. The QX5 showed tons of promise and I'm glad that I purchased one. It only had about 30 hours on it and by 6pm last night, you could hear it breaking in little by little. The bones of it were there though and I know it will be killer once it's got a few hundred hours on it. Looks great, built great and the headphone amp was outstanding with my Noble Savant's and it had 0 hours on it, lol. The amp is built similarly to the Codex (to me one of digital's best buys), but with the best parts they had on hand as the budget allowed for that. I still can't believe that it has 10 digital connections you can use. What a digital hub and we used Roon to run it. I've never used Roon before, but Michael Lavorgna has been telling me use it before deciding what to use for a hard drive set up. I honestly think that I will just do the Qnap 471 with Roon on the SSD in the first bay and follow the set up that Michael shared and that's on the QNAP site. I will also do the optical conversation and run it to the system to get rid of the RF problems that an ethernet cable can have.

I can't really talk about HOW the QX5/Twenty sounded since it was nearly out of the box, but it's going to punch well above it's range like every other Ayre product. What an exciting company to watch as they continually keep upgrading what are good products and allowing we users to pay minimally for these upgrades so we don't feel left out in the cold. Alex from Ayre is a great guy and it was fun picking his brain on the QX5/Twenty as well as other Ayre products. Was a fun day for me personally as a few of my friends showed up from the boards.

I can't really talk about HOW the QX5/Twenty sounded since it was nearly out of the box...

I think this is the same demo unit making its round among US dealers, certainly, by now that unit is fully broken in, and if it ran continuously for a dozen hours or so prior to the demo then all its components definitely reached thermal stability.

You should have gotten a good conclusive indication of what the unit sounds like. I'm beginning to be concerned about this piece since I have read on a couple of posts that the initial indication was that the unit is on the cold side of neutral...

Any feedback from those who have actually heard this unit would be greatly appreciated. I'm debating between this piece and the highly acclaimed Chord DAVE DAC

Cheers :)

No, it is Audio Connections unit new out of the box. Johnny called me on Wed to tell me he was getting delivery later that day. He was a kid in a candy store lol

Lots have heard it but like any piece you can't tell full what it is until it's broken in. Based on what we heard yesterday I'd never say it was on the cool side of anything. Breaking in often is about extension on both ends as well as a smaller soundstage that isn't as solid as it will get. I did speak with Alex at length about the sound and it's very full and open. ayre always throw a big soundstage and the detail will be awesome as it's got the double diamond stage as well as the line filtering. Very very low noise floor. Ink black is what I heard. Personally it's worth waiting on and listening for yourself. That's just me though. All dealers just got them so give it two weeks.