IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

1 hour ago, sbenyo said:

Not working in either user or admin levels. I also tried to copy the firmware txt file to the same directory as the tool and it is still the same.

Hmm, now the possible causes may be: incorrect RS232 connection or corrupted tool.exe file. If the case is the latter, you might try this one which I previously received from T+A.

It looks like the same tool I used. I tried in anyway and first time

I used it after download it opened almost completely hidden at the bottom of the desktop. I dragged it and up and was able to see it. I thought it was resolved so I closed and opened it again now it doesn't work again. It shows in taskbar but nothing happens and I cannot get the real window opened. This is really frustrating.

Update - After playing more with compatibility settings it opened again at the very bottom. I will try to see if it works now.

1528525347_TA.PNG.6b7a172200ac1a34cdb13d8e5ddb5fbb.PNG

I have some progress....

It seems the problem is related to DPI compatibility. I checked the DPI settings and it seems to open.

Now I have connection problem. Is the DAC8 supposed to be OFF like the manual suggests? I may be using the wrong wiring (I am not sure my cable is RJ12 it may be RJ11 and it might be an issue).

Changed the cable and switched it to the CTRL port (used the SYS by mistake). Now I'm connected!!!

Testing looks fine. Cross fingers!

435488581_TA1.PNG.ea94a6d96a6ec8b0b3ed7241897e7f51.PNG

13 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

I have some progress....

It seems the problem is related to DPI compatibility. I checked the DPI settings and it seems to open.

Now I have connection problem. Is the DAC8 supposed to be OFF like the manual suggests? I may be using the wrong wiring (I am not sure my cable is RJ12 it may be RJ11 and it might be an issue).

435488581_TA1.PNG.ea94a6d96a6ec8b0b3ed7241897e7f51.PNG

Are you 100% sure you need COM3 port.  If I were you, I wuld want to try the other ones (1-4) just to make sure.

Dirk

A bit nerve wrecking process. Slow firmware burning. At the end "SUCCESS" message and it says restarting please wait...

DAC shuts down and nothing happens. I then disconnected and reconnected. Finally v2.70 firmware!!!

It was not easy but it's over now. Anyone that needs assistance with it, feel free to contact me. Thanks for all the help (mental one as well :) )

1329535158_TA2.thumb.PNG.e4d51e704065652e08c19a6018305fff.PNG

1 hour ago, sbenyo said:

-snip-

It was not easy but it's over now. Anyone that needs assistance with it, feel free to contact me. Thanks for all the help (mental one as well :) )

Congratulations. But the culprit of your firmware update problem appears all deriving from using a wrong pin assignment between RJ11/12 and RS232 cables. If the pin assignment was correct before the initiation of firmware update, the service tool would have opened smoothly and you could have gone straight to the updating process without such sweating. Please keep your experience to your own and do not extend it to others.

Rgds,

28 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

If I update the Amanero firmware, can I go back to the T+A original one if I don't like it?

No.

Where can I find instruction how to update the Amanero firmware?

Go to: https://amanero.com/combo384_firmware.htm

Find the name of firmware_2006be10, then download  the file right to it (oem tool 117). Read carefully the manual in it as well as the instruction from T+A. Once more:  READ them many times until you fully understand them.

Rgds,

Thanks! 

I still think I had 2 different problems. The first problem is with the service tool not opening (or not visible). It was the the DPI compatibility (Windows 10). I can now open it even without any cables connected. Before I could not. It still opens almost non-visible at the very bottom and I have to drag it up to be able to use it.

The cable issue was the second one. I had wrong cable. The tool doesn't do anything until I choose the COM port and try to connect. Anyway it works now. I hope my experience will help others.

Thanks for the update details. I will check them carefully before I try. Do you know if I can revert back to original firmware if I don't like it?

4 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

-snip-

Thanks for the update details. I will check them carefully before I try. Do you know if I can revert back to original firmware if I don't like it?

Du you mean the Amanero firmware? If so, the answer is no because the updating process includes erasing the firmware chip. Anyway, the process itself is quite simple and you can repeat it many times until you accustom to it.

BTW, for CPLD, select CPLD for 1081 (not 1080) or you will have to select "CPLD_1081_DSDSWAPPED" if there is a problem of LR channel swap after update. For firmware, always select 2006be10 which enables native DSD512 on linux (and on Win10). If you need an ASIO driver for Win10, search this GitHub Amanero issue thread. You can find the location by the post from Domenico, the author of Amanero firmware.

Rgds,

Thanks sbenyo. As I said above, I had exactly the same problems as you regarding the visibility of the service tool. I followed your suggestions regarding the compatibility settings and then I was able to open the window (which was only just visible at the bottom of the screen) and run the firmware update, which went smoothly. I then installed Amanero CPD1081 with 2006be10 and I have just played DSD512 for the first time from Linux . Success!

1 hour ago, Montage said:

Thanks sbenyo. As I said above, I had exactly the same problems as you regarding the visibility of the service tool. I followed your suggestions regarding the compatibility settings and then I was able to open the window (which was only just visible at the bottom of the screen) and run the firmware update, which went smoothly. I then installed Amanero CPD1081 with 2006be10 and I have just played DSD512 for the first time from Linux . Success!

That's great! I hope it's worth it. I will update my firmware soon.

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:54 PM, Montage said:

Comparing DSD512 on Linux versus Windows was it worth the wait?

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

Blue2 - I do not have a Windows renderer for comparison, I use a SinatureRendu which is  Linux based. So it was just a matter of allowing higher rate DSD playback for the limited music that I have that is greater than DSD128. Upsampling to DSD512 has been a bit unreliable on my server so I have tended to not use it. I know that it is claimed that the DAC8DSD is best at DSD512 but I have generally preferred PCM to DSD. Obviously this is an individual equipment and taste preference (and perhaps an unwillingness to invest in a higher power server with attendant noise and cooling problems!)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also flashed my dac8 to 2006be10 a few days ago. Boot HQplayer NAA image on my CL100 via USB. Work like a charm in most time.

I only detected some distortion one time during turning down volume of my preamp. I'm not sure if I can blame on amanero firmware or something else, will keep an eye on it for a bit more time.

Soundwise, it's wonderful. I sense better transparency and there is even no pop when switching tracks. Maybe because of better I/O optimised on HQplayer OS than windows 10, the lyrics timing on ROON syncs correctly to the track. I used to run NAA on Windows 10 and always got 1-2 seconds of latency time (was quite annoying when I tried to switch track or view lycris)

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have just upgraded the firmware to v2.70, and would like to proceed Amanero firmware update.

But I am in doubt which guideline should follow.

There is a guideline from OE333's S0143_DAC8DSD_Service_Mode, but the said service mode cannot be invoked after pressing WIDE button for more than 1 minute.

There is another guideline on Amanero web which need to open casing and short the pins on the device.

Can you advise me which one to follow?

Hello, i was an satisfied user of the T+A DAC8 but i sold it during the release of the T+A DAC8 DSD.

Now i want to know - is there any other DAC which outperforms the DAC 8 DSD ?

(i did not follow the DAC history for a year...).

What i found: the Waida di322 looks interessting too..

Hope you can help me :) Thanks!

23 hours ago, salaryman said:

Hi I have just upgraded the firmware to v2.70, and would like to proceed Amanero firmware update.

But I am in doubt which guideline should follow.

There is a guideline from OE333's S0143_DAC8DSD_Service_Mode, but the said service mode cannot be invoked after pressing WIDE button for more than 1 minute.

There is another guideline on Amanero web which need to open casing and short the pins on the device.

Can you advise me which one to follow?

OK I get it done. No need to use the front panel.

Just use the T+A service tool with SERV_MODE 97 to erase the USB, then use the Amanero tool to flash CLPD and CPU,

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 4:53 PM, salaryman said:

OK I get it done. No need to use the front panel.

Just use the T+A service tool with SERV_MODE 97 to erase the USB, then use the Amanero tool to flash CLPD and CPU,

Does it mean it is possible to flash the Amanero firmware without need to open the DAC and physically erase the USB as described in the instructions? Is this reversible so I can go back to original USB if needed?