IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Have you ever had any issues with using external USB isolator, which means double USB isolation (since DAC8 DSD has USB isolation already?)?

I know but subjectively i prefer the dac8 dsd with an intona than without .

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

34 minutes ago, juanitox said:

I know but subjectively i prefer the dac8 dsd with an intona than without .

Understood but I was asking if this double USB ground isolation ever caused you any performance issues (dropouts or static or other).

I guess it's been fine for you then, so that's good.

On 4/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, OE333 said:

... I have installed NAA and roonbridge software plus the standard T+A Windows driver and did some testing last week. Everything works very well and without any glitches at all rates including DSD512. So I think this might be an alternative to Linux based ethernet bridges and might a considerable solution instead of waiting for native DSD Linux support....

Hi,

I'm satisfied with Amanero Beta FW 1099c using LINUX streamer (ALLO USBridge fed from ROON+HQP) up to DSD256 native. Good reliability and SQ.

To test DSD 512 "magic" i've tried using ASIO driver from a WIN 10 NUC. Lot of audible glitches (using 1099c beta FW) ! 
I presume 1099c is not supporting native DSD from ASIO and i have to reflash Amanero receiver to default T+A  firmware version. Could you please confirm ?

Question for me is to choose the better option (SQ related):

- Lightweight LINUX  ALSA streamer with DSD256 limitation => 1099c beta FW

OR

- More "noisy" WIN ASIO NUC (or other devices like AcePC T8 ) DSD 512 capable (default T+A / Amanero FW)

Any opinion, i have to choose "fromage ou dessert" .

Thank's.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

10 hours ago, volpone said:

To test DSD 512 "magic" i've tried using ASIO driver from a WIN 10 NUC. Lot of audible glitches (using 1099c beta FW) ! 

I presume 1099c is not supporting native DSD from ASIO and i have to reflash Amanero receiver to default T+A  firmware version. Could you please confirm ?

Question for me is to choose the better option (SQ related):

- Lightweight LINUX  ALSA streamer with DSD256 limitation => 1099c beta FW

OR

- More "noisy" WIN ASIO NUC (or other devices like AcePC T8 ) DSD 512 capable (default T+A / Amanero FW)

Any opinion, i have to choose "fromage ou dessert" . 

Yes, FW1099c is a beta test version for Linux only - it doesn't work properly with Windows (that is why we don't use it for series production). For Windows, please always use Amanero firmware version "DSD512x48x44" and CPLD version "CPLD_for_1080".

My recommendation clearly would be the AcePC T8 - I have tested it here for many hours. Transmission is very stable - I did not observe any lost packets or any other problems. I also can not find any difference in SQ or measured performance compared to a Linux based bridge. As the Ace PC is fanless it is also a good choice regarding mechanical noise.

Miskas recommended Logic Supply's CL100 is of course a more powerful alternative but at a higher price point...

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

On 4/17/2019 at 10:49 AM, guiltyboxswapper said:

Anyone tried AcePC T8 with a quality DC supply?  It's quite shocking how much off-the-shelf NUCs improve when fed a quality DC supply.  Shocking enough to move on my previous streamers (Allo USB Bridge, SMS-200 ultra neo).

Any "quality DC supply" example well suited to AcePC T8 power requirements ?
I assume that such power supply should be more expensive than the mini-pc itself, isn't it ?

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

• 2 weeks later...

@Ben-M, what you say sounds very promising! I really hope this time is a real direction, no more being in the dark and that we will finally get the DSD512 Linux support we are all looking for. I am sure everyone will benefit from it mainly T+A that will be able to open their already great flagship DAC to be competitive and compatible with many streaming devices/audiophile computer options.

Fingers crossed!

Good news for Linux users, hope they'll do it.

And also - new owner here. Finally have my DAC 8 DSD rocking with T+A R-series amp. Feeding it with DSD 512. What to say... It's a kind of magic. It sounds even more analogue to me than actual analogue sources. It just have more energy in every sound. Like an orchestra in a park or a band of streen musicians. And the music flows gapeless. The biggest difference I feel listening to classics, especially symphonic pieces. No too silent parts anymore, the music is always there, the vibrations and air. And of course jazz and vocals. Awesome.

The device has 2.7 firmware and Amanero drivers are ok from the factory. Hope that "DSD512/48 pop" bug is fixed in all new production from this year on.

Not sure about playback software yet, need more time to compare foobar2000 (dsd processor plugin SDM type B) and HQPlayer with different settings. The winner isn't obvious to me after short sessions. And foobar can play SACD images.

On 4/8/2019 at 7:10 AM, OE333 said:

Please consider that T+A never made any promises that the DAC8DSD could be used with Linux. In all specifications the only supported operating systems were Windows and MacOS. Especially native DSD512 was always specified to work only with Windows sources having the T+A ASIO driver installed.

Despite Linux was never officially supported by the DAC8DSD it works with PCM and DSD (DoP) up to DSD128 out of the box with recent Linux distributions - that is even more as promised.

For those who have HQPlayer or roon installed on a Linux based server and want to use it with DAC8DSD and DSD512 there is no problem - just use a Windows based ethernet/USB bridge and everything will work perfectly well.

DAC8DSD can be used in almost all systems and configurations - only for those insisting on native DSD512 directly from a Linux based PC (or bridge) this DAC is the wrong choice.

Please believe me, that T+A really would like to offer native DSD512 Linux support. We are really constantly encouraging Amanero to work on this but obviously things are not that easy...

An other point to mention: we chose the Amanero USB receiver because of its outstanding performance. It sounded (and measured) better than any other solution we tried and for our DAC8DSD sonic performance was the main concern.

Is there some incompatibility or error to use UltraRendu with HQPlayer as NAA active,  connected directly on T+A DAC 8 DSD (Roon and HQPlayer are installed on NUC-Windows 10) ?

Thank you !

13 minutes ago, EduZ said:

Is there some incompatibility or error to use UltraRendu with HQPlayer as NAA active,  connected directly on T+A DAC 8 DSD (Roon and HQPlayer are installed on NUC-Windows 10) ?

Thank you !

If I’m understanding your question correctly: the DAC doesn’t have a driver for working with Linux based sources such as the UR. It will work with Linux sources that are UAC2 compliant, limited to PCM 384 and DSD 128:

https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/tm_107_dac8dsd_linux_en.pdf

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, firedog said:

If I’m understanding your question correctly: the DAC doesn’t have a driver for working with Linux based sources such as the UR. It will work with Linux sources that are UAC2 compliant, limited to PCM 384 and DSD 128:

https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/tm_107_dac8dsd_linux_en.pdf

Thank you @firedog...   Really it was my doubt .  I woud like get a new DAC like a T+A DAC8 or Hegel HD30, but it needs be compatible with UR as HQPlayer NAA.   So, really I will have a limitation to run DSD. 

Is there some alternative for that?

6 hours ago, EduZ said:

Thank you @firedog...   Really it was my doubt .  I woud like get a new DAC like a T+A DAC8 or Hegel HD30, but it needs be compatible with UR as HQPlayer NAA.   So, really I will have a limitation to run DSD. 

get a windows device to use as a  streamer, or use USB from the server.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, EduZ said:

I don't see an issue. It doesn't need a driver because both units are UAC2 compliant. 

17 hours ago, EduZ said:

It has been mentioned by @Miskathat the delta between DSD 256 and DSD 512 - dependant on your setup, ofcourse - may not be so significant in some cases. 

Amanero 1099c USB firmware is stable upto DSD 256 in DOP with no problems though this will require following the T+A instructions and updating the Amanero's firmware to 1099c (not a difficult process if you have a DAC 8 DSD with latest firmware).  DOP DSD 256 should have no problems on the UR.

Might be a path forward if the T+A is your choice.

1 hour ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Amanero 1099c USB firmware is stable upto DSD 256 in DOP with no problems though this will require following the T+A instructions and updating the Amanero's firmware to 1099c (not a difficult process if you have a DAC 8 DSD with latest firmware).  DOP DSD 256 should have no problems on the UR.

Can you post a link to the specific instructions for the T+A update of it's USB firmware.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:02 AM, EduZ said:

Thank you !

On 5/4/2019 at 11:31 AM, EduZ said:

21 hours ago, EduZ said:

I meant an issue (to me) = incompability, because I can't use the UR plugged directly to DAC.

Can you clearly state what problem you are asking about? 

You want to connect a UR directly to your DAC, which may be a T+A DAC 8 DSD or a Hegel HD40. 

But what "incompatibility" are you -exactly- asking about or trying to avoid?

---------------------

In my opinion so far, I think EduZ has said somethings and there have been some replies, but overall there is confusion about what's actually being asked/discussed. 

I think that Firedog, guiltyboxswapper(...), and Jesus have all given good answers, but I don't feel that EduZ either understands the "problem" or the responses.

3 hours ago, Ben-M said:

Can you clearly state what problem you are asking about? 

You want to connect a UR directly to your DAC, which may be a T+A DAC 8 DSD or a Hegel HD40. 

But what "incompatibility" are you -exactly- asking about or trying to avoid?

---------------------

In my opinion so far, I think EduZ has said somethings and there have been some replies, but overall there is confusion about what's actually being asked/discussed. 

I think that Firedog, guiltyboxswapper(...), and Jesus have all given good answers, but I don't feel that EduZ either understands the "problem" or the responses.

@Ben-M  

You are totally right.  
Yes, I understood all posts from guys (including the option to use DoP by Windows) and I was trying explain in another post the same that you said here in your explanation.  
And my focal question is :

I want to connect a UR directly to DAC, which may be a T+A DAC 8 DSD or a Hegel HD30, and trying to avoid the incompatibility to play high level DSD, by the firmware version between UR and these DACs.

Thank you for help ! 

3 minutes ago, EduZ said:

@Ben-M  

You are totally right.  
Yes, I understood all posts from guys (including the option to use DoP by Windows) and I was trying explain in another post the same that you said here in your explanation.  
And my focal question is :

I want to connect a UR directly to DAC, which may be a T+A DAC 8 DSD or a Hegel HD30, and trying to avoid the incompatibility to play high level DSD, by the firmware version between UR and these DACs.

Thank you for help ! 

Please clarify what you mean by ‘high level’ DSD.