IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

That's great news. Until now I though the only way was to open the DAC and shorten the USB circuit. 🙂

This is also encouraging for T+A to issue an official update one day. This can be done easily by everyone.

As for the DSP update, it seems it's part of the T+A firmware update. There is probably a way to do just this part. Let's see if anyone else knows about it.

1 hour ago, sbenyo said:

That's great news. Until now I though the only way was to open the DAC and shorten the USB circuit. 🙂

This is also encouraging for T+A to issue an official update one day. This can be done easily by everyone.

As for the DSP update, it seems it's part of the T+A firmware update. There is probably a way to do just this part. Let's see if anyone else knows about it.

@sbenyo is correct with his assumption that the update of the DSP software is part of the T+A firmware update.

But:

A) Regarding the DSP update:

1.) The DSP is not in the signal path for DSD signals. So the DSD performance of the DAC8DSD is not affected in any way by the DSP software.

2.) DSP is only for upsampling PCM signals (all incoming PCM is upsampled to 352.8 / 384 kSps.

3.) The 4 upsampling algorithms (FIR short, FIR long, Bezier polnominal interpolation, Bezier/IIR) are unchanged since production start. So there is no reason and no need to do a firmware upgrade just because of DSP processing.

B) Update of the DAC8DSD firmware in general

1.) The older firmware versions have no known bugs - so there is no need for a bugfix firmware update.

2.) The only reason to upgrade to firmware V2.70 is that this version brings the "USB update through front panel buttons" feature.

3.) With older firmware versions a USB update is also possible. It is initiated either by serial connection and "Service Mode 97" command as @Gavin1977 mentioned in a foregoing post (this is the official T+A way), or the "quick and dirty" method with opening the case and shorting 2 pins at the USB receiver as @sbenyo mentioned.

Both ways are described in T+A service notes. (those interested in this write me a PN).

OE

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

Thanks for the information OE. You say the DSP change applies to PCM upsampling only and there are no bugs as such or changes to the filter algorithms. Could you please clarify the changes to DSP processing included in v2.70?

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

1 hour ago, blue2 said:

Could you please clarify the changes to DSP processing included in v2.70?

The DSP processing has never been changed. See my post above:

19 hours ago, OE333 said:

3.) The 4 upsampling algorithms (FIR short, FIR long, Bezier polynominal interpolation, Bezier/IIR) are unchanged since production start. So there is no reason and no need to do a firmware upgrade just because of DSP processing.

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 11:07 AM, OE333 said:

The DSP processing has never been changed. See my post above:

Actually that was why I asked as you said "@sbenyo is correct with his assumption that the update of the DSP software is part of the T+A firmware update." So I guess we can just set aside this part and believe the rest. Thanks

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

... maybe I have not expressed it correctly - what I meant was that if a DSP update is necessary it will be done as one part of the T+A firmware update.

i.e. The DSP firmware is included in the firmware update file. After updating its own firmware the main controller will check if the DSP firmware from the update file is newer than the installed DSP firmware and if so it will update the DSP.

in terms of updating the amanero USB receiver firmware via the service mode accessed with front panel buttons, the info in this thread references the dac8 dsd with V 2.70 firmware.

i see from the t+a service note:   The service mode is available only on DAC8DSD with firmware versions from V 2.60 onwards.

my dac8 dsd has firmware version 2.61 and i am indeed able to access the service mode.

i have attempted the update; however, the amanero OEM_TOOL_117 is failing to flash the firmware.

has anyone here successfully updated the USB receiver firmware with a dac8 dsd having V 2.6x firmware?

thanks!!

Hello music lovers

After another attempt, I would like to inform you that the latest Linux firmware 2006be13 plays perfectly.
Switching the DAC back and forth from PCM / DSD / PCM now works perfectly!

After consultation with Amanero it turned out that at the time of the first Flas ho the web server did not forward the file correctly to the Amanerotool !!

I would like to point out that the Amanerotool needs at least 5 seconds after selecting the CPU firmware selection before the flash process to transfer the firmware !!!!

This gives me the green light and the previous entry is invalid !!

I wish everyone good luck and enjoy listening to the music.

Best regards

amanero_flash.jpg

2 hours ago, fantasia said:

Hello music lovers

After another attempt, I would like to inform you that the latest Linux firmware 2006be13 plays perfectly.
Switching the DAC back and forth from PCM / DSD / PCM now works perfectly!

After consultation with Amanero it turned out that at the time of the first Flas ho the web server did not forward the file correctly to the Amanerotool !!

I would like to point out that the Amanerotool needs at least 5 seconds after selecting the CPU firmware selection before the flash process to transfer the firmware !!!!

This gives me the green light and the previous entry is invalid !!

I wish everyone good luck and enjoy listening to the music.

Best regards

amanero_flash.jpg

Firmware 2006be13 update

Unfortunately I have to tell you that the latest firmware on my system is not running properly again. (Daphile 20.07)

It sounds paradoxical but sometimes she plays everything correctly and sometimes not at all !! (hiss, whir, dropouts)

So I definitely cannot recommend the 2006be13!

Now I will flash the DAC back to the very good 2006be11.
With this the music server runs flawlessly !!

Maybe there are other users who have the same or similar problems.

I am very grateful for feedback, suggestions and tips.

Best regards

just to follow up for anyone having the same questions:

On 7/29/2020 at 11:20 AM, aKnyght said:

has anyone used WinOnX to run the Amanero OEM_TOOL_117 to update the USB receiver firmware?

this and another emulator did not work -- so, the update must indeed be done on a PC running Windows.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:21 AM, aKnyght said:

has anyone here successfully updated the USB receiver firmware with a dac8 dsd having V 2.6x firmware?

i have V 2.61 and was able to accomplish the update successfully.

23 hours ago, craighartley said:

Has anyone tried this?cpld_1082+firmware_2006be15r2

Hello everybody

I am happy to inform you that the very latest firmware CPLD 1082, 2006be15r2 works perfectly on my Daphile music server !!

I didn't expect a better sound quality!

Kudos to the Amanero developers!

Keep it up and a very good USB module will be even better!

Therefore, I give it the absolute green light and good luck with flashing!

Best regards fantasia

amanero_flash_linux_2006be15r2.jpg

On 8/6/2020 at 2:35 PM, fantasia said:
Hello everybody

I am happy to inform you that the very latest firmware CPLD 1082, 2006be15r2 works perfectly on my Daphile music server !!

I didn't expect a better sound quality!

Kudos to the Amanero developers!

Keep it up and a very good USB module will be even better!

Therefore, I give it the absolute green light and good luck with flashing!

Best regards fantasia

amanero_flash_linux_2006be15r2.jpg

Thanks, just upgraded.

Have you tried to feed in DSD512 from Windows?

I could not get it work since be11, not as well in this be15.

3 hours ago, salaryman said:

Thanks, just upgraded.

Have you tried to feed in DSD512 from Windows?

I could not get it work since be11, not as well in this be15.

Hi salaryman

I did not test the new firmware with Windows because I switched to Linux. (Daphile music server)

With the Amanero ASIO driver, the transmission of DSD512 should actually work.

The T + A driver does not work with this firmware!

If I find the time, I will test the DAC on a Windows 10 PC with the Amanero ASIO driver to see whether it works with the firmware.

Best regards and a nice weekend.

fantasia

37 minutes ago, fantasia said:

Hi salaryman

I did not test the new firmware with Windows because I switched to Linux. (Daphile music server)

With the Amanero ASIO driver, the transmission of DSD512 should actually work.

The T + A driver does not work with this firmware!

If I find the time, I will test the DAC on a Windows 10 PC with the Amanero ASIO driver to see whether it works with the firmware.

Best regards and a nice weekend.

fantasia

I would be grateful to know the answer to that too. 

• 3 weeks later...

just for to be sure  ,  if an amanero driver is installed with the service mode and the maintenance tool , there is no possibility for a come back to the T+A driver ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

On 8/6/2020 at 7:35 AM, fantasia said:

I tried this in my setup - SQ is still very good, but when changing between 44.1x and 48x base rates in DSD, there was a horrific pulsing noise for a few seconds.  Back to be11 and all good.

• 2 weeks later...

So, XLR is best on DAC8 DSD...  my amplifier is single ended so is it worth running a pseudo balanced cable or just stick with RCA?

Thinking about going for these: https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mcru-pure-silver-semi-balanced-interconnect/, if I stick with RCA then Oyaide TUNAMI TERZO RR seems very good for the price.

For my next amplifier I might go for a proper balanced design, so this is just a stopgap.

1 hour ago, Gavin1977 said:

So, XLR is best on DAC8 DSD...  my amplifier is single ended so is it worth running a pseudo balanced cable or just stick with RCA?

Thinking about going for these: https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mcru-pure-silver-semi-balanced-interconnect/, if I stick with RCA then Oyaide TUNAMI TERZO RR seems very good for the price.

For my next amplifier I might go for a proper balanced design, so this is just a stopgap.

Best option would likely be to run an XLR cable from the T+A to the amp.  Do not use adapters though, instead, get an XLR terminated at the source end with an XLR plug, and then terminated at the amp end with an RCA plug.  This way the signal remains balanced along the cable run, and you avoid the degradation caused by an additional set of connections (an adapter).  The cable should terminate the shield and XLR pin 3 wire to the shell of the RCA connector, and pin 2 to the center pin.  Many cable companies will make a custom cable like this for you (Cardas, probably Nordost, and I bet you could get Iconoclast to do such as well).  Looks like the cable in your link will work fine, but make sure the XLR end is the source end!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

12 minutes ago, barrows said:

Best option would likely be to run an XLR cable from the T+A to the amp.  Do not use adapters though, instead, get an XLR terminated at the source end with an XLR plug, and then terminated at the amp end with an RCA plug.  This way the signal remains balanced along the cable run, and you avoid the degradation caused by an additional set of connections (an adapter).  The cable should terminate the shield and XLR pin 3 wire to the shell of the RCA connector, and pin 2 to the center pin.  Many cable companies will make a custom cable like this for you (Cardas, probably Nordost, and I bet you could get Iconoclast to do such as well).  Looks like the cable in your link will work fine, but make sure the XLR end is the source end!

Cheers - ok Pseudo balanced it is.

4 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

I use these with excellent results:

https://www.lundahltransformers.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/1584_x.pdf

https://www.lundahltransformers.com/problem-solvers/

This is what happens internally in a lot of tube equipment with balanced inputs. With these you get the summed signal from both of the legs of your balanced output. One is inverted by the transformer and then added to the other; nothing is lost. Just use a standard balanced cable to these and then into the amp single-ended input with them. Any other way results in the loss of one leg of the signal.

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

I use these with excellent results:

https://www.lundahltransformers.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/1584_x.pdf

https://www.lundahltransformers.com/problem-solvers/

This is what happens internally in a lot of tube equipment with balanced inputs. With these you get the summed signal from both of the legs of your balanced output. One is inverted by the transformer and then added to the other; nothing is lost. Just use a standard balanced cable to these and then into the amp single-ended input with them. Any other way results in the loss of one leg of the signal.

Thanks for this.  Trouble with the LL1584-3FXPHM is that it converts XLR to unbalanced straight out of the DAC, therefore all benefits of XLR output are lost.

Further down the line I might fit either Lundahls internally to my amp, or purchase a powered input buffer (Neurochrome, Signal Transfer company or Eltim Audio using the THAT drivers)... or when I build my next amplifier I'll just design it around a balanced system... probably my preference.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, Gavin1977 said:

I wonder how these compare to high end RCAs. I have very good expensive Sablon RCAs and I am not sure if going semi-XLR will improve anything. I know that usually XLR to RCA requires some quality transformation and that there were dedicate adapters for that (e.g. Jensen Transformers). I wonder if this works well.

I was once looking for these Cardas adapters to use with my own RCA cables. At the end I decide not to buy them but I still wonder if this is a good solution that really makes any difference:

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRCGAMXLR