IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, emcdade said:

Anyone got DSD512 going on a Linux streamer yet?

I’m dying to try this out on my SMS-200, hear no difference to my Windows streamer, and put my SMS-200 on eBay lol!

the Dac8 DSD don't worked in DSD512 with linux in2016/2017 / 2018 and won't work in 2019  too..

end of the story...

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 6:17 AM, louisxiawei said:

I was told that the units after June 2018 are all installed with the latest firmware (CPU firmware: DSD512x48x44) which fix the "pop" noise, so in terms of the firmware, I don't think it's a beta test.

However, with users' own RS232 cable flash, we cannot use T+A official driver but driver downloaded from the Amanero website. From my experience, Amanero driver for windows 10 has glitch (producing blow sound during the track switch). But the windows 7/8/vista has no such problem on my windows 10. I'm still waiting for Amanero to fix this. Whether T+A official driver has this glitch, no idea.

T+A previously commented that the pop noise only happened on few batches with certain firmware. My DAC8 DSD was purchased in early 2017 in the UK and I think the firmware version was labeled on the box saying V2.0. Some of my other friends purchased their units (V2.2) from Hong Kong sometime in 2017, and they also found the pop noise.

Or borrow a MP8 unit to do the update from the local dealer if they have one. Maybe contact T+A to arrange this?

Hi everyone! New here.

I borrowed DAC 8 DSD from my dealer for a test drive. It has version 2.3 firmware. Not sure about production date, but it was delivered about 3 month ago. It definitely has this 'faint pop' glitch.

Had a long conversation with T+A support and that what the final answer was:

"there is a new firmware for Amanero, that solves the problem with low pop noise on the right channel when playing DSD512. This new firmware is ok and can be installed!  Amanero offers one more new firmware, that supports DSD512 via a Linux-based player. This firmware is not ok and would not supported by T+A. Sorry for the confusion!

The update can be done by our distributor. So if you can return your DAC8 DSD to your dealer / distributor, we want to instruct our distributor, how to update your DAC8 DSD."

I will not post the entire answers, but it it seems, that the main firmware of DAC have no relation to this bug, only USB receiver frimware matters. 

Now I hope to see the detailed instructions they will give to a dealer. Will post more info in case of success.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:44 AM, Em2016 said:

From all your measurements of DAC8 DSD, is the performance sweetspot with HQP at DSD256 or DSD512?

Or very close between both (no difference)?

Do you still have yours or sold it?

Yes I have it, performance between the two is quite similar so it is hard to say which one would be better. You pretty much need to listen and decide which one works better for you.

Only audio gear I have ever sold is one pair of speakers... :D

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes I have it, performance between the two is quite similar so it is hard to say which one would be better. You pretty much need to listen and decide which one works better for you.

I didn't tried DSD512 on my DAC8DSD yet but using HQP (NAA) DSD256 is a quite big SQ step forward compared to DSD128.

It is unexpected but a very good news. Thank you for your work @Miska !

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

On 2/1/2019 at 4:26 PM, volpone said:

Hi,

Using T+A DAC8 DSD "Service Mode" (FW 2.7) and AMANERO OEM TOOL 117 i've easily updated AMANERO USB firmware to 1099c (CPLD 1080) : DSD native (vs DoP) is OK up to DSD256 (tested with RoonBridge and NAA - ALLO USBridge / DietPi). Good step forward !

Sound is better (vs DSD128 DoP), no glitches, no hisses, no switching noise from ROON / HQPlayer.
Still hope AMANERO will succeed to fix DSD512 with Linux ... finger crossed and thank"s to T+A excellent support !

This is encouraging! I am running Allo Usbridge with HQ Player as well. I think I will try and update the firmware as well.

Should I be writing to T+A support requesting the required firmware and software?

PC (Roon +  HQ Player) | Allo US Bridge Sig + Shanti LPS | SOTM TX-USB Ultra + SPS500 PSU| T+A Dac 8 DSD | Luxman C-900u + M-900u | PMC MB2 Se

On 2/4/2019 at 1:47 PM, ronnie.sengupta said:

This is encouraging! I am running Allo Usbridge with HQ Player as well. I think I will try and update the firmware as well.

Should I be writing to T+A support requesting the required firmware and software?

Hi Ronnie,

Yes, better to ask T+A support for advices and "how to".

However, if your DAC FW is >= 2.6 then you should be able to use "Service Mode" to update AMANERO USB FW online from a WIN PC.

Required 1099c FW and OEM tool 117 are freely available from AMANERO web site.

Best.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 3:09 AM, sbenyo said:

If I understand correctly, the T+A DAC8 DSD does not any external power for USB.

The DAC works fine with just a simple cable between the DAC USB input and the computer USB so nothing else is needed.

While the T+A DAC 8 DSD does not require the 5v as an operating voltage supply, it does require the 5v for identification. That information comes directly from T+A in Germany in response to my query. I believe that this is commonly referred to as "handshaking".

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, OE333 said:

The little AcePC T8 might be capable of streaming native DSD1024 as well. I will do some DSD1024 testing next week with this micro PC and the new T+A SDV3100HV and will report if it works.

Glad you pop up. Hope T+A can release a DSD1024 capable DAC8 DSD soon.😉

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

I think it's a bit disappointing that T+A cannot make thier flagship DAC8 product support Linux properly for so long.

I know it's not only up to them and that they have great support on this but it's still something that should have been put to high priority either by finding an existing solution or creating a new one, giving us, the existing users, some hope.

Unfortunately being tied to Windows is a limitation especially when there are many good Linux based streaming solutions out there.  From what I know and I hope I am not mistaken, there are also solutions that allow DACs to use DSD512 with Linux so it's not a global limitation.

I am pretty sure that everyone buying this DAC, chose it for it's special native DSD512 support. I am also sure that people that bought it long ago did not believe it will not have support for Linux for such a long time.

With all this said, I am still a happy customer that enjoys this DAC very much using dedicated Windows machine to drive it. I still hope T+A and Amenero will be able to come with something at the end that will help keep us onboard.

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

This is not cheap but I believe recommended by @Miska for Windows NAA.  Comes already assembled in fanless case and powered by 5Vdc.

https://up-shop.org/home/179-up-squared-gatewaypentium-n4200-w8g-memory64g-emmc-boardwovesa-plate.html?search_query=gateway&results=13

Looks good, but in a minimum order quantity of 25 units it definitely isn't cheap. o.O Know anyplace to get just one? 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

On 4/8/2019 at 9:26 AM, Miska said:

And Logic Supply's CL100 is what I used for Windows based NAA for DAC8 DSD. I maxed out the RAM and have also 256 GB SSD in it, but no wireless modules. So not very cheap, but quite solid build. I replaced the standard PSU which had annoying coil whine with one made by Mascot.

What is the advantage for the dac8 in term of input signal quality with HQplayer between a Main pc with a USB isolator and a Main Pc with a NAA mini pc ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

41 minutes ago, juanitox said:

What is the advantage for the dac8 in term of input signal quality with HQplayer between a Main pc with a USB isolator and a Main Pc with a NAA mini pc ?

That depends... No simple answer. Now I'm running it straight from the server's  DAC-UP -USB port. But sometimes there are other advantages too, such as being able to move the server out of the listening room.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

That depends... No simple answer. Now I'm running it straight from the server's  DAC-UP -USB port. But sometimes there are other advantages too, such as being able to move the server out of the listening room.

Does using NAA help at all with 8kHz USB packet noise measurements? 

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

Have you ever had any issues with using external USB isolator, which means double USB isolation (since DAC8 DSD has USB isolation already?)?