IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

On 11/13/2019 at 2:46 AM, sbenyo said:

Does it mean it is possible to flash the Amanero firmware without need to open the DAC and physically erase the USB as described in the instructions? Is this reversible so I can go back to original USB if needed?

Yes for the USB upgrade, no need to open case.

But I'm not sure if you can go back to original USB.

As far as I know, the original USB firmware is not available. So it is sort of irreversible change. But I think the old original Amanero firmware (that works only with Windows) is still available from Amanero? But it needs changing the drivers on Windows as the T+A drivers wouldn't recognize the DAC anymore.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:50 PM, Miska said:

Best way to do MQA is to decode it in software and use regular upsampling filters with it. There's absolutely no need to put such stuff into a DAC. DAC's only job is to convert digital samples to analog, not decode some obscure lossy compression.

Makes sence.  But, I'm a little confused.  Wasn't the whole schtick behind MQA's press, that it also does some peculiar 'compensation for different DAC's various faults and differences'?  So, they'd supposedly need to do something in the DAC, itself.  Not that I ever plan to use MQA, but I'm just curious as to why SW over HW.

13 minutes ago, UELong said:

Makes sence.  But, I'm a little confused.  Wasn't the whole schtick behind MQA's press, that it also does some peculiar 'compensation for different DAC's various faults and differences'?  So, they'd supposedly need to do something in the DAC, itself.  Not that I ever plan to use MQA, but I'm just curious as to why SW over HW.

As far as currently known it doesn't. And for that, you don't need a new content format. You can process such things with DSP for all content, since it would be related only to the DAC, not to the content.

The upsampling filters MQA has are very leaky ones.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 months later...

Hi

I recently ordered a new FM8 remote and realized the it does not work with the the older firmware version,

With above issue and since I am trying to utilize SMS-200ultra neo as a main streamer I am thinking of updating my DAC 8 DSD firmware to 2.70 and Linux USB driver using the link provided by OE333 in the previous pages.

I've managed to download the service tool and other related documents but can some one inform me how I can download

the new firmware 2.70 file? There seems to be no download link in the pages..??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

48 minutes ago, John K said:

Hi

I recently ordered a new FM8 remote and realized the it does not work with the the older firmware version,

With above issue and since I am trying to utilize SMS-200ultra neo as a main streamer I am thinking of updating my DAC 8 DSD firmware to 2.70 and Linux USB driver using the link provided by OE333 in the previous pages.

I've managed to download the service tool and other related documents but can some one inform me how I can download

the new firmware 2.70 file? There seems to be no download link in the pages..??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It should come with the service tool.

https://github.com/OE333/DAC8-Service-Tool

37 minutes ago, John K said:

Thanks for the info. So the firmware is included in the service tool program?(exe file)

No, it is not included in the .exe file.

You can find it here: https://github.com/OE333/DAC8-Service-Tool/tree/master/DAC8DSD_firmware

Godd luck !

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

just a little hint:

If you have access to a T+A MP8 streamer (maybe your dealer has one in his shop) then you can let the MP8 do the firmware upgrade and you don't have to worry about anything.

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

1 minute ago, OE333 said:

just a little hint:

If you have access to a T+A MP8 streamer (maybe your dealer has one in his shop) then you can let the MP8 do the firmware upgrade and you don't have to worry about anything.

Thanks OE333, unfortunately our dealer does not have the MP8 at hand. 

I got to your link and I can see the codes in the txt file but I cannot seem to download the txt file. Do I just copy and paste the codes into txt file? 

If you go to the top of the repository (https://github.com/OE333/DAC8-Service-Tool) you will see a "Clone or download" button.

Use this and it will give you the choice to download the complete repository as a .zip file.

This will give you the whole contents of the repository including the firmware file.

But you could also copy the code and paste it into a text file.

In this case make sure the file has the same name (UPD_DAC8_DSD_V_270.txt) as the original file and make sure to save it as a plain text file.

21 minutes ago, OE333 said:

If you go to the top of the repository (https://github.com/OE333/DAC8-Service-Tool) you will see a "Clone or download" button.

Use this and it will give you the choice to download the complete repository as a .zip file.

This will give you the whole contents of the repository including the firmware file.

But you could also copy the code and paste it into a text file.

In this case make sure the file has the same name (UPD_DAC8_DSD_V_270.txt) as the original file and make sure to save it as a plain text file.

Finally managed to download the whole file, must have been something wrong with my computer.

I managed to download it using different computer.

Thanks once again for all the help! I will report on the update and how it works it sotm sms-200 ultra neo.

I would like to report that I have safely upgraded the firmware to 2.70 without any issues,

The provieded manual and instructions were very intuitive and easy to follow,

One thing that I needed to do from my side was to make a RS232 -> RJ12 converter using lan cable and tool bough from

local hardware store. The manual was very informative and I was able to make correct pin connection without any problem.

Another good thing was that my logitech harmony was able to utilize all the functions of the new remote with the firmware update which was a big plus as I can now control the brighness option using the remote.

As for the newly bought FM8 remote I had to send it back as there were some issues with it, I believe it will function without any problem once I receive it back. 

I am currenly holding on to linux driver update as previous experience using SOTM SMS200 Ultra Neo's NAA streaming to DSD128(DOP) resulted in some stuttering and not sure if the new linux driver will fix that problem.

My current setup using NUC8I7HVK (roon server on separate fanless computer) with Hqplayer upsampling to DS512 through

USB connection with igalvanic 3.0 is producing pretty good sound so I plan to stay at this setting for time being.

I would like to thank OE333 and others who helped me out with helpful suggestions! You guys rock!  

the middle age crisis certainly here , i wonder what dac to try after the T+A  , not that i taught that it doesn't sound marvellous in DSD512 with HQP but sometimes i remember old machine like some Theta , Wadia 2000,  Cello reference dac , EAD DSP9000 etc.. and if they were surely more technically limiited  ( 16/18 bits at 44/48K for the most)   i liked the sound of them , you can say more meet on the bones type or it was just good sounding distorsions i don't know...

so i wonder what kind of dac could fit in this categorie  nowadays ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

Dear music lovers

I am annoyed by the contradictory statements regarding firmware updates from Amanero and T + A.

Amanero writes the firmware runs perfectly on Windows and Linux!

T + A writes amanero does not offer suitable firmware for a long time that supports both operating systems!

The aim is to equip the DAC with the firmware that enables DSD256 + on a Linux PC. (DSD128 remove restriction)

It is idiotic and incomprehensible that the DAC has to be sent to the T + A factory to update the firmware.

These circumstances motivated me to do this myself!

Since there are many audiophile friends here, I am sure someone is willing to help me.

I have already thoroughly informed myself about this.

First of all, the adapter has to be found so that the DAC can be connected to a Windows PC.

Does anyone offer this for purchase?
Or does someone have a good manual with which I can make it myself?

Many thanks for your support.

Best regards
Andre

3 hours ago, fantasia said:

It is idiotic and incomprehensible that the DAC has to be sent to the T + A factory to update the firmware.

Please note:

The most comfortable and also the safest way to update the DAC8DSD Firmware is via Web-Update through a MP8 streamer....

Regarding the cable adapter: please send me a PN.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:09 PM, juanitox said:

the middle age crisis certainly here , i wonder what dac to try after the T+A  , not that i taught that it doesn't sound marvellous in DSD512 with HQP but sometimes i remember old machine like some Theta , Wadia 2000,  Cello reference dac , EAD DSP9000 etc.. and if they were surely more technically limiited  ( 16/18 bits at 44/48K for the most)   i liked the sound of them , you can say more meet on the bones type or it was just good sounding distorsions i don't know...

so i wonder what kind of dac could fit in this categorie  nowadays ?

Those older DACs offered less resolution and some tended to favour, to at least some extent, warmth over accuracy. But, they were "musical". I don't know if you would still prefer the sound of those DACs today if you could hear and compare it to the sound of music produced by the T+A DAC 8 DSD and HQP at DSD512. I don't believe that audio memory is retained over lengthy periods of time.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Those older DACs offered less resolution and some tended to favour, to at least some extent, warmth over accuracy. But, they were "musical". I don't know if you would still prefer the sound of those DACs today if you could hear and compare it to the sound of music produced by the T+A DAC 8 DSD and HQP at DSD512. I don't believe that audio memory is retained over lengthy periods of time.

sure life was better yesterday ,  just because i was younger but i have compared my T+A DSD8 in DSD512 with old machine in my loca lshop ( Wadia 2000, Sonic frontiers SFD1 , ML 360S, )   the Mark levinson was the worst even in 24/96K , but hte Wadia 2000 was very sweet sounding with tons of details  with a simple Mutec USB /spdif converter.    the T+A in PCM was So So in compare.

sure in DSD512 with HQP and Polysinc long LP , DSD5 V2  the T+A was in another league everywhere but has a " too clean taste" that seems to me unreal.    ( perhaps i just need a noisy tube preamp after the T+A to get what i want 😉)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

2 hours ago, juanitox said:

sure life was better yesterday ,  just because i was younger but i have compared my T+A DSD8 in DSD512 with old machine in my loca lshop ( Wadia 2000, Sonic frontiers SFD1 , ML 360S, )   the Mark levinson was the worst even in 24/96K , but hte Wadia 2000 was very sweet sounding with tons of details  with a simple Mutec USB /spdif converter.    the T+A in PCM was So So in compare.

sure in DSD512 with HQP and Polysinc long LP , DSD5 V2  the T+A was in another league everywhere but has a " too clean taste" that seems to me unreal.    ( perhaps i just need a noisy tube preamp after the T+A to get what i want 😉)

Isn't ca clean sound what we are all after? 
Can you describe why the sound seems unreal?

8 hours ago, juanitox said:

I owned a couple of those dacs you yearn for and in no way shape or form would I ever trade my T+A for that sound again.  What speakers do you have?  Try different filters with HQP, you can certainly change the sound with a filter change.  My favorite right now is Sinc-M with DSD5v2 256+fs.  I also like Ext2, closed form 16M and the XTR MP 2s (I can't run the non 2s version).  Also what server are you using to send to your dac?  Do you have any means of isolating the USB signal from the dac.  The T+A has a pretty good filter on the USB for noise, but I still prefer some isolation between the server and dac.

you are certainly right ,  i really like the T+A  and HQplayer   i use now  polysync long LP  DSD5EC DSD256  , i have a InTona usb isolator too.    and the DAc driectly attack a 2A3 amplifier or a Pass Aleph3   ( during the 2A3 mods 😊) my speaker are DIY with 12" Field Coil speaker , no filter.. so i can hear every litttle change in HQP , computer, or electronic side..   as i said perhaps i need a preamp with the more r"analog" and relaxed sound  i can get with some old Dacs  ( call it distorsions if you like ) . 

i will try a Transformer based Passive preamp soon to use the Fixed output of the T+A  and will report if there is a change in my  " too clean" feeling ....