IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

I would like to thank all contributors to the DAC8DSD topic for adding their insights. Specifically I would like to thank OE333, Volpone and TWLuke as their contributions allowed me to easily update my DAC8DSD to the latest Amanero drivers so that I can now enjoy DSP upsampling from a Roon Nucleus to DSD256. I am confident T+A and Amanero will deliver DSD512 sometime in the future. For the moment I will enjoy my predominantly Flac 44.1 Khz music catalog upsampled to DSD256.

PieterJan

Is anyone using the T+A DAC 8 DSD with the latest Amanero USB firmware 2006be11 and HQPlayer Embedded via naa? 

With 2006be10 and the latest version of HQPlayer Embedded 4.15.1 I’m getting a click on the leading edge of the first note of music. I’m wondering if 2006be11 would solve this?

And if I upgrade the Amanero firmware to 2096be11, is there a way of going back to 2006be10 if I find the upgrade makes the situation worse?

18 minutes ago, craighartley said:

With 2006be10 and the latest version of HQPlayer Embedded 4.15.1 I’m getting a click on the leading edge of the first note of music. I’m wondering if 2006be11 would solve this? ...

I'm using DAC8 DSD with 2006be10, HQP latest Desktop version 4.3.1 and NAA 3.6: No click on the leading edge. Very stable at DSD512 rate. No problem to re-flash. Very stable at DSD512 

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

4 minutes ago, volpone said:

I'm using DAC8 DSD with 2006be10, HQP latest Desktop version 4.3.1 and NAA 3.6: No click on the leading edge. Very stable at DSD512 rate. No problem to re-flash. Very stable at DSD512 

Thanks for this. The click on leading edge only started when I upgraded to latest version of HQPlayer Embedded (and I have a later version of the naa), so it's not directly comparable. But I'd be interested to know if your experience changes if you upgrade to the new Desktop 4.3.2.

I have the 2006be11 firmware flashed to DAC 8 DSD and using HQplayer desktop 4.3.1

I did not experience any click on the leading edge.

As a side question will performance setting on HQplayer server computer have effect in streaming to NAA?

I am testing NAA with sotm-sms200 ultra and not able to go beyond dsd128 with the streamer (usb direct with the computer does dsd512), I am thinking maybe having the computer set to quiet mode have some effect with the computing power needed to stream to

naa device.

18 minutes ago, craighartley said:

so it's not directly comparable. But I'd be interested to know if your experience changes if you upgrade to the new Desktop 4.3.2.

Yes, It's not comparable. I will update to 4.3.2 and let you know.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

On 3/5/2020 at 9:57 AM, guiltyboxswapper said:

How do you mean?  Be10 variant has been very stable for many of us for months with a recent Linux kernel 🙂

Yes, I can confirm BE10 is stable and works well with Linux.

BUT: For this Amanero version a new Windows driver is required and this Windows driver still has some issues. This is why BE10 at this moment can not be used for series production devices.

For Linux users it is not difficult re-programming the Amanero chip to BE10 (or later) provided the DAC8DSD has firmware 2.6 or higher.

For DAC8DSD with older firmware I would recommend using a T+A MP8 streamer and let it do the firmware upgrade to the latest version.

For those without a MP8 (and if the T+A dealer of choice also does not have a MP8 at hand) there is the possibility of doing the DAC8DSD firmware upgrade with the T+A service tool - but please keep in mind that this option is at your own risk as it could brick your DAC8DSD if something goes wrong....

If now s.b. would like to know how big the chance is that the upgrade works:

Currently the ratio is 30:2. ---- I.e. 30 upgrades that I know of went well (some done by different members here on this forum), 2 upgrades failed and ended in a bricked DAC8DSD.

No. 1 of the failed upgrades was in China and there was no chance sending the device back - so I did not have a chance to investigate the cause for this failed upgrade.

No.2 just happened in Switzerland and this DAC8DSD is currently on its way to me so that I can do some forensic research. If somebody is interested I will post my findings here....

The good news is that a bricked DAC8DSD can always be brought back to life by T+A (or an authorized T+A service point).

My personal advice would be that users with some computer knowledge should be able to do the upgrade with the help of the T+A  Service Tool. Users without any computer knowledge should better use the MP8 to upgrade their DAC or send the device to a T+A service workshop.

If there are any questions, please send me a PN.

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

41 minutes ago, OE333 said:

BUT: For this Amanero version a new Windows driver is required and this Windows driver still has some issues.

Hi @OE333, in your opinion, any chance Amanero will succeed to fix Windows driver ?

Thank's for your work and support.

Setup details

1 minute ago, volpone said:

Hi @OE333, in your opinion, any chance Amanero will succeed to fix Windows driver ?

Thank's for your work and support.

I never give up my hope .... 😉

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

Good day

Despite very good and intensive research and the great support from OE333,

the firmware could not be successfully updated with the system tool from T + A!

As described in OE333, the device No. 2.

I was able to establish the connection without any problems and the Connect Test also worked perfectly!

Immediately after starting the flash button, an error occurred and the thing was almost done.

Unfortunately I was also unable to successfully flash the DAC with the last hope using the Revovery function!

My device is on the way to T + A for repair.

Caution is called for!

Think about it very well !!!!!

Maybe it was because the device had a rather old firmware! (Ver. 2.30)

Now the listening season has ended early for me!

I hope I could tell everyone who was interested in something positive.

Best regards

On 3/5/2020 at 9:57 AM, guiltyboxswapper said:

How do you mean?  Be10 variant has been very stable for many of us for months with a recent Linux kernel 🙂

Sorry, had no idea I was stepping on toes.. I meant to underscore the fact that it appears both Amanero and T+A are working to also deliver dsd512 to the windows crowd as well.

BTW I use Be11 variant which seems to max at DSD256 in my environment. I experienced one little glitch so far. When listening to TV audio using the OPT input at one time I experienced hardly any audible sound apart from crackling and hissing. Powercycling my DAC8DSD resolved that. This happened only once, all works well now.

3 minutes ago, PieterJan said:

Sorry, had no idea I was stepping on toes.. I meant to underscore the fact that it appears both Amanero and T+A are working to also deliver dsd512 to the windows crowd as well.

BTW I use Be11 variant which seems to max at DSD256 in my environment. I experienced one little glitch so far. When listening to TV audio using the OPT input at one time I experienced hardly any audible sound apart from crackling and hissing. Powercycling my DAC8DSD resolved that. This happened only once, all works well now.

Not at all (toe stepping).  I'd honestly forget about the Windows situation to be honest.  Makes sense.

I'm (often) when powering the DAC on, and defaulting to the OPT setting finding its having trouble picking it up as a PCM stream (changing filters = DSD on screen).  A few switches between inputs and its fine after that.  My OPT socket is not in the best of states, so I don't think its necessarily the firmware or even PCB at fault.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 9:05 AM, volpone said:

@volpone Can I ask if you are using the DAC8 DSD direct into your power amp? If so, what are you using as volume control: the DAC variable output, or software volume control in HQP?

50 minutes ago, craighartley said:

@volpone Can I ask if you are using the DAC8 DSD direct into your power amp? If so, what are you using as volume control: the DAC variable output, or software volume control in HQP?

Yes, DAC8DSD variable output (balanced) direct to NAD M22 power amp input (no preamp).

I'm using DAC's analog control ( + some attenuation in HQP to avoid "clipping" due to convolution filter on some tracks) 

Setup details

2 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

@craighartley built in, using Sonore's OpticalRendu as NAA.  

I can check for you by going line-out later to see if you have that issue with HQPlayer (popping), if that helps?

BTW, have made the upgrade to be11 - seems to be SQ improvements with it too!  

Thanks. I’d be very grateful if you could try line out volume from the DAC with HQPlayer volume control. 

2 hours ago, volpone said:

Yes, DAC8DSD variable output (balanced) direct to NAD M22 power amp input (no preamp).

I'm using DAC's analog control ( + some attenuation in HQP to avoid "clipping" due to convolution filter on some tracks) 

If it’s not too much trouble, I’d be very grateful if you could please try fixed output from the DAC8DSD and use HQPlayer alone to control volume. It’s with that arrangement that I get the clicks (and only with DSD output, not PCM). 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, FatalethaL said:

I've got a question:

If I do Roon Core (Gaming PC) + HQP upsampling and then stream it to a Roon Bridge (Intel NUC or the likes with WinOS), and then to T+A, will it work?

If you use HQPlayer for upsampling, you cannot stream to Roon Bridge, instead you need to stream to HQPlayer NAA.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 3/24/2020 at 2:26 PM, craighartley said:

If it’s not too much trouble, I’d be very grateful if you could please try fixed output from the DAC8DSD and use HQPlayer alone to control volume. It’s with that arrangement that I get the clicks (and only with DSD output, not PCM). 

Sorry @craighartley , I would have helped you with this test, but I'm really scared that I might blow up my speakers if something went wrong with HQP volume control. I have no way to impose safety limit on my power amp inputs. Do you still get clicks ?

Setup details