IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Making these recommendations / predictions is really outside of our work here. Barrows, John, and Alex have provided honest feedback based on their limited listening experience with preproduction units. I also want to be clear that these are not tests per se and rather just listening sessions. Soon there will be plenty of people including Chris posting their experiences with every possible combination imaginable. I know that we have become accustomed to having to tweak everything, but things are changing. Just get the best power supply you can afford and enjoy the music.

nowadays many people try to avoid USB audio in their systems because they think that USB is bad way to extract audio.

but your findings tend to prove that it is the computer hardware who sucks and not the asynchronous USB protocol in itself .

if it"s true do you know you are going to save from destruction thousands of USB dacs ? :)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I think we are talking past each other.

Isn't the MSRP of $640 inclusive of the US tax in the State/County where the uRendu is produced, i.e. $640 is what a US citizen will pay for this unit?

In this case, shouldn't this local tax be deducted before export?

Or is the $640 the net price for export sales?

Or, to re-phrase, doesn't a local tax apply in the Sonore fabrication state?

It's the opposite. MSRP is not inclusive of tax. If you happen to be in a state where Sonore pays tax, then you pay extra.

So yes $640 is what most US citizens will pay (no tax), but $640 + tax is what people local to Sonore will pay. Since you're not local to Sonore, you pay $640.

This is one reason why internet e-commerce is booming in the USA! It is not like Europe, where VAT is levied in every eurozone country.

There are so many possible variables, that is is impossible to test them all. My experience suggests that Ethernet provides a great deal of "isolation", but it is important to consider that "isolation" is never absolute. Hence we may have different experiences in different system contexts.

In my own experience I am sufficiently satisfied that having a consumer NAS running, well removed from the audio system (in another room) physically (to eliminate the possibility of airborne interference or just audible noise) and on another phase of the electrical AC supply (to provide additional electrical "isolation") is adequate to reduce any interference to levels so low as to not matter at all.

In my system, running a Synology NAS via an Apple router to the µRendu, I am getting significantly better performance than with my very tricked out, dedicated server (Linux/stripped down version of Vortexbox, like an Antipodes), which runs on an internal LiFePO4 battery supply, with separate, discrete linear regulated, power supplies, SOtM output card. The only "computer which I consider is "in the system" is the µRendu, whose noise profile is very, very low.

But, every system context is different, so people will have to do their own optimization for their system environment.

Do you run LMS on the Synology or something else? I would like to know how you serve your music to the microRendu please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

It's the opposite. MSRP is not inclusive of tax. If you happen to be in a state where Sonore pays tax, then you pay extra.

So yes $640 is what most US citizens will pay (no tax), but $640 + tax is what people local to Sonore will pay. Since you're not local to Sonore, you pay $640.

This is one reason why internet e-commerce is booming in the USA! It is not like Europe, where VAT is levied in every eurozone country.

Thanks for this clarification, jelt2359.

It would help if Sonore added The 'MSRP' term to the $640, though.

But I guess all is clear now.

There are no customs fee in Norway for this kind of product, so the final cost (if bought direct from Sonore in the US) will be $640 plus $160 (25% import tax in Norway) which makes $800 plus (a minor) shipping cost.

Norway is not a member of EU, btw.

This is what I've asked before, but it seems that not having English as my native language is a problem for me.

my system is microRendu ready. With Roon and HQPlayer.

I need a Micro Rendu!!!!

Jesus, I will be in the US in June. Is it possible to have the microRendu avaiable for buying at this time, after you supply people in the waiting list?

I live in Brazil and it would be practical to buy at the US and bring it with me.

That should be okay.

Barrows: Yes, every system is different, but are you saying that significant sound quality improvements are likely when installing a microRendu, thereby removing my current Vortexbox, SOtM card etc. (see sig) to another room and using those only as a networked server?

Barrows will chime in and these are just my comments. Your unit can remain anywhere as long as you have it connected to the network. It's still a great ripper, NAS and server and can be used in combination with the microRendu.

Interesting. And, the best LPS for the microRendu I'm assuming?

We are recommending power supplies from 50 USD to 1000USD so there is something in there for everyone. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs a 1000 USD power supply and there are some great values in the 300-500 USD range.

Between what barrows and John were saying, I was thinking one could also run a small server using the Alix APU: PC Engines apu system boards There's a SATA port with power connector *and* m-SATA port on these series boards. Load up your favorite Linux/NetBSD/FreeBSD on the m-SATA SSD; connect 4 or 6TB HDD; power the unit using your favorite power supply.

I have mirror RAID on my Linux desktop where I also rip and tag my music. Using the APU board as the server would add another level redundancy for my music files and allow me to keep my desktop off.

*Plus*, with the APU only consuming 6W-12W of power, just leave it on so that it can serve music to the rest of the house. nanoRendu multi-zone? ARM+wifi+DAC+Maxim 9744 class D amp???

Nick

Either one should make for a good server. The Sonicorbiter operating system can be renamed by location via the GUI. So you can call one masterBR and another one livingRM. When you look up the units in http://www.sonicorbiter.com it will find them on your network and it will allow you easy access to each unit's GUI for configuration. You can access the GUI from any browser on the network. The microRendu can work multi zone with synced playback with SqueezeLite and RoonReady output modes. For my masterBR I was thinking of a microRendu -> AudioQuest DragonFly USB DAC/Preamp/Headphone Amp.

in case of using an airport express with the microrendu do you think it will be better to use it linked with an ethernet cable to the computer or by wifi to have less noise as with the ethernet links? and pushing the limit to have a LPS for the airport too?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

We are recommending power supplies from 50 USD to 1000USD so there is something in there for everyone. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs a 1000 USD power supply and there are some great values in the 300-500 USD range.

Thanks Jesus

No.

Bummer, I would've loved to hear your products.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Are Sonore looking for uRendu agents outside of US or will it only be sold via your Internet shop and US distributors?

If it is sold without power supply, I reckon CE marking will not be an issue?

How about ROHS compliance? Are you using led-free solder?

Primary sales are going to be from our website. We are also looking into Amazon fulfillment from within the EU. The plan is to try Amazon fulfillment with a small batch of units and see how it goes and at what expense.

We are seeking CE, FCC and RoHS certificates. There is no ETA on this and it's unclear how this will affect the unit's price.

in case of using an airport express with the microrendu do you think it will be better to use it linked with an ethernet cable to the computer or by wifi to have less noise as with the ethernet links? and pushing the limit to have a LPS for the airport too?

I don't think you will be happy with the results if you use that device. I have a 1st generation unit hooked up to a SE and I get a ton dropouts.

We are seeking CE, FCC and RoHS certificates. There is no ETA on this and it's unclear how this will affect the unit's price.

So the $640 price is subject to change based on the cost of certification? Will the initial units be sold in the USA at $640 without these certificates?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I would use an Airport Extreme with Wifi.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Roon server sits on a machine on your network that sees the music files and builds its library. Roon remote is on a tablet or computer that you use to browse that library. microRendu (in RoonReady mode) accepts Roon stream and plays it to your DAC.

Thank you for that explanation even a novice (me) can understand.

I would use an Airport Extreme with Wifi.

Matt

as the Extrem cost nearly half price than the Micro rendu i will try first my gen3 airport express in wifi ( 300 Mbit/s) and see if i will have drop outs .. the Extreme can share a Hard disk on it"s usb port too.

thanks.

So the $640 price is subject to change based on the cost of certification? Will the initial units be sold in the USA at $640 without these certificates?

Let's see how it goes. We will sell the units without the certifications until we get the units certified. If the certification process goes as planned the certifictaes should apply to all unit because we are certifying a production run unit. No sale can be contingent on us obtaining the certification.