IGNORED

David Bowie - Blackstar (2016)

Predictably crushed... DR5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR6 -0.10 dB -7.73 dB 01 Blackstar.m4a

DR5 -0.10 dB -5.89 dB 02 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore.m4a

DR5 -0.10 dB -6.88 dB 03 Lazarus.m4a

DR5 -0.10 dB -6.10 dB 04 Sue (Or In a Season of Crime).m4a

DR6 -0.10 dB -7.35 dB 05 Girl Loves Me.m4a

DR6 -0.10 dB -8.07 dB 06 Dollar Days.m4a

DR6 -0.10 dB -7.65 dB 07 I Can't Give Everything Away.m4a

Number of files: 7

Official DR value: DR5

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

DR Peak RMS Filename

Yep, DR as expected for 2016. Pathetic :(

I'm listening to it on spotify right now. At risk of being a Pollyanna, I think it is supposed to lack dynamic range.

Even half decently recorded very loud music (e.g., early Nirvana) has DRs around 10, so how I wonder would this work as an artistic decision? A catalog of flat affect and ennui?

Reminds me of the critic's review of a Katherine Hepburn movie: "She ran the gamut of emotions from A to B."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm listening to it on spotify right now. At risk of being a Pollyanna, I think it is supposed to lack dynamic range.

Possible, but there is very little music that is really supposed to be without DR of at least 8. At least anything over a couple of miutes in length. And even music that is naturally "8" will sound way better than the same music compressed to "5".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The vinyl rip is purported to have DR10 which I personally feel is more true to the auditory vision. Also, I would argue that some of the Jazz motifs would sound better with some space between the notes and with more atmosphere IMHO. Some of the dub step-eque content might work compressed though I suppose.

The previous release, The Next Day did the same thing...

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Honestly, every best of 2015 release - except for Isbell - that I came across was P^$$# crushed this way...even Adele 25 for heavens sake. So, at this point the only thing I can think is just to start ripping fresh vinyl. I may pick up the new Korg phono / ADC / DAC and just start doing this when I have to. Sucks...

I'm seeing this across the board now. Maybe the digital is coming off one digital master to cover MP3, CD, and hi-res distribution intended to be played on headphones, in the car, and on radio (to stand out and sound modern)? My guess is vinyl has to have a lower RMS for tracking... Dunno. :/

That definitively disproves my speculation. WTF would they compress it more than for vinyl? From what little I understand, DR10 is quite good for vinyl.

Coldplay.jpg

Adele.jpg

That definitively disproves my speculation. WTF would they compress it more than for vinyl? From what little I understand, DR10 is quite good for vinyl.

Actually, due to the way the standard being tested works, if vinyl and a CD version are made from the same mastering, the LP will *measure* as having greater DR by a couple of points. So it isn't always that the CD version is compressed and the vinyl isn't, or is compressed less. But when the DR difference is more than a couple of points in favor of the LP, then the CD version has indeed been more compressed.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

All this talk about DR and nothing about content.

Well, it kind of blows chunks anyway, so no great loss.

I agree. Pure rubbish. Maybe that's the theme of the album. Bad music mastered badly. In that case, it's a success.

Edit: Went straight here from new posts. Should've checked thread location.

Honestly, every best of 2015 release - except for Isbell - that I came across was P^$$# crushed this way...even Adele 25 for heavens sake. So, at this point the only thing I can think is just to start ripping fresh vinyl. I may pick up the new Korg phono / ADC / DAC and just start doing this when I have to. Sucks...

Sigh, that may finally ween me off purchasing further CDs anymore and I'll probably go the same route with vinyl (or hopefully DSD if more become available).

First, I have a list of about 20 mods to do to our Technics Direct-Drive turntable...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Nowadays, Mastering job is just pushing a digital file into a brickwall plug-in like Wave L1/L2 limiter, with a hard threshold value to make it sound LOUD, they don't care about dynamic range...

A lot of amateurs would do that.

Usually, a great mastering 'engineer' wouldn't do that, but there is real financial pressure from clients requiring it be done this way (or else they look elsewhere).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Bad music mastered badly.

Is it really that bad?

Lazarus.jpg

DR Peak RMS Filename

Actually, due to the way the standard being tested works, if vinyl and a CD version are made from the same mastering, the LP will *measure* as having greater DR by a couple of points. So it isn't always that the CD version is compressed and the vinyl isn't, or is compressed less. But when the DR difference is more than a couple of points in favor of the LP, then the CD version has indeed been more compressed.

Mind explaining this a bit more? I'm not sure I get this:

"Actually, due to the way the standard being tested works ..."

Thanks.

Mind explaining this a bit more? I'm not sure I get this:

"Actually, due to the way the standard being tested works ..."

Thanks.

The TT Meter measures in accordance with an International Telecommunications Union (ITU) standard that isn't what we ordinarily think of as dynamic range (range from softest to loudest), but rather is a comparison of average loudness and peak loudness, similar to something commonly referred to as "crest factor." It's in essence a measure of the "spikiness" of a waveform. Consistency in the sound results in lower measurements, and CDs produce more consistency in sound than vinyl. Thus identical digital files recorded to CD and LP will show higher DR measurements for the LP.

Watch this:

[video=youtube;n-AE9dL5FG8]

Just bought it from Qobuz. Same values as expected

foobar2000 1.3.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1log date: 2016-01-09 10:56:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Interprètes Divers / Blackstar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR5 -0.10 dB -7.73 dB 9:58 1/7-Blackstar

DR5 -0.10 dB -5.88 dB 4:53 2/7-'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore

DR5 -0.10 dB -6.88 dB 6:22 3/7-Lazarus

DR5 -0.10 dB -6.09 dB 4:40 4/7-Sue (Or In a Season of Crime)

DR6 -0.10 dB -7.35 dB 4:52 5/7-Girl Loves Me

DR6 -0.10 dB -8.07 dB 4:45 6/7-Dollar Days

DR6 -0.10 dB -7.65 dB 5:47 7/7-I Can't Give Everything Away

Number of tracks: 7

Samplerate: 96000 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 3033 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

Never mind if I lose credibility, même pas peur : it sounds so good !! I love the sound !! (24/96) Pretty much in line (sound wise) with the aesthetic of the Berlin trilogy : very dense modulated with fulgurant incises.

I took details out of my sig but I get very clean fast controlled bass down below 20 from my multi amps active feedback loop controlled system ; might help...

last but not least : And at least one great song that has already caught me : Lazarus

Never mind if I lose credibility, même pas peur : it sounds so good !! I love the sound !! (24/96) Pretty much in line (sound wise) with the aesthetic of the Berlin trilogy : very dense modulated with fulgurant incises.

In my modest sound system Blackstar sounds pretty good. Do not care about DR figures either.