IGNORED

David Bowie - Blackstar (2016)

And finally, I found this on Youtube based on the article comments. I don't know if the rework and this are the same thing:

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

First one would have to find out if this really exists (a DR database entry can be faked) and then what it is.

I remember that some time ago a "full dynamics" version of the Depeche Mode album "Delta machine" was circulating in filesharing networks, with DR12 instead of DR6.

But it turned out to be the result of someone playing around with a dynamic expander tool. Of coursing this will not restore the original dynamics but just add artificial dynamics.

This Blackstar version could also be an incorrectly labeled vinyl rip.

Claude

Sorry if OT...normally I am all about original CD releases (big time!) but the 2003 Mix of Ziggy that comes in the CD version of the Five Years box set as the alternate version is really good - highest DR in the DB for that title. I ended up just deleting the new 2015 master.

DR Peak RMS Filename

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR12 -3.90 dB -19.94 dB 01 Five Years.m4a

DR16 -1.49 dB -19.93 dB 02 Soul Love.m4a

DR16 -1.06 dB -19.02 dB 03 Moonage Daydream.m4a

DR14 -2.79 dB -19.29 dB 04 Starman.m4a

DR13 -2.42 dB -19.93 dB 05 It Ain't Easy.m4a

DR15 -1.68 dB -18.75 dB 06 Lady Stardust.m4a

DR13 -2.40 dB -17.04 dB 07 Star.m4a

DR14 -2.18 dB -18.67 dB 08 Hang On To Yourself.m4a

DR15 -1.59 dB -18.09 dB 09 Ziggy Stardust.m4a

DR13 -3.74 dB -17.70 dB 10 Suffragette City.m4a

DR12 -3.12 dB -20.64 dB 11 Rock & Roll Suicide.m4a

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of files: 11

Official DR value: DR14

==============================================================================================

Thanks for that info, I'll add that to my ebay wish list.

First one would have to find out if this really exists (a DR database entry can be faked) and then what it is.

I remember that some time ago a "full dynamics" version of the Depeche Mode album "Delta machine" was circulating in filesharing networks, with DR12 instead of DR6.

But it turned out to be the result of someone playing around with a dynamic expander tool. Of coursing this will not restore the original dynamics but just add artificial dynamics.

This Blackstar version could also be an incorrectly labeled vinyl rip.

If I had only known I would never have sold my Phase Linear 1000 DR Ecpander, it made LP's almost listenable back in the day.. Think I'll add finding another clean used one to my ebay list too.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23303[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23304[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23305[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23306[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23307[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23308[/ATTACH]

Forgive my forgiveness, but I just downloaded the new Bowie's vinyl, Blackstar from what I "think" is a 'reputable' site. My Audacity does not look like what I see. In fact I compared my version to two of my friends and again it doesn't look like anything what yours has. I am curious if someone can explain ... So, now I am wondering

Vinyl Black Star.png

Black Star Lossless 1.png

Black Star Lossless 2.png

Spectrum Vinyl Blackstar.png

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but who knows how your copy was ripped. It could be with any cartridge, phono section, table, phono pre-amp, ADC, and editing s/w. We also don't know if, and how much it was processed once digitized. Also, to compare FR you probably want to extend you x-axis a bit more.

I did not do the vinyl rip, but just posted the rip data for comparison and the DR of 10 is consistent with that found in the DR database. What DR does your copy have? If it is not 10-11 then I have no idea what you have there.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f14-music-analysis-objective-and-subjective/david-bowie-blackstar-2016-a-27177/index3.html#post501096

Forgive my forgiveness, but I just downloaded the new Bowie's vinyl, Blackstar from what I "think" is a 'reputable' site. My Audacity does not look like what I see. In fact I compared my version to two of my friends and again it doesn't look like anything what yours has. I am curious if someone can explain ... So, now I am wondering

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

What I am trying to convey is I have the same text file as you (on page 3), but I 'think' my frequency analysis is different than yours as I can't seem to tweak my old version of Adobe Audition 3 hence why I was using Audacity which I can't figure out either (I hope now that makes sense) LOL and I don't know how to get the dBs or the DRs. HELP LOL

If someone can tell me or show me how to tweak Adobe Audition 3 and/or Audacity then I can show you and others.

Oh I see. I wish I was more help but you can download the DR calculating app from the upper-right corner of this site:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

I calculated this myself with this app so you could do this too to directly compare and see if it matches. Be sure to select the log button so it saves the complete results as a .txt file :)

What I am trying to convey is I have the same text file as you (on page 3), but I 'think' my frequency analysis is different than yours as I can't seem to tweak my old version of Adobe Audition 3 hence why I was using Audacity which I can't figure out either (I hope now that makes sense) LOL and I don't know how to get the dBs or the DRs. HELP LOL

If someone can tell me or show me how to tweak Adobe Audition 3 and/or Audacity then I can show you and others.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

What does that link (Dynamic Range Database) show? Will it help me determine if I have the real thing or what? I don't understand.

Update: I am uploading so I should be getting a text file soon I believe

I am not sure what I just did on Dynamic Range Database, can you tell junker?

You have to download the app in the upper right corner so you can analyze the files on your local drive. Then, you can compare what you have to what I have and what is listed online for this title.

• 3 weeks later...
Ground zero Hiroshima... quite a story ! thank you

You're welcome, glad you like it.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels