IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

External PSU Info:

FYI, I just spoke with Michal and I had a chance to ask him about PSU recommendations.

He said that internal PSU is 3A and that if you were to buy an external PSU, it would only benefit performance if it provided much more power than internal.

He said 12V would be okay, so long as it was at least 10Amp, and that even more than 10Amp would be better (12V , 14Amp was one suggestion he had).

He also recommended that I first by a car battery if I could figure out how to mod it, since it is cheap ($50) and has about 1,000 Amps.

Michal said that could possibly be an alternative to an expensive external PSU, but if not, at least a cheap way to test how an external PSU would sound vs the internal before spending the money on an external.

Gotta love Michal!

Gives folks all the options under the sun, including one that he hasn't monkeyed with (external power supply capability) because he's figured out that geeks like us (I'm including yours truly) will seek out the last 0.02% "improvement" wrought from add ons.

Personally guilty of Mapleshade big brass feet, brass damping weights and big ass maple base under my DSD192, powered by Virtual Dynamics 3 lead power cable with big magnets at each termination, and fed by HQ Player, PM, and A+ on a dedicated Quad Core Mini with SSD...

Has to be chuckling that 99% of the pro studio folks that have supported Mytek...just hook their Myteks up and record/play music, no frills.

Almost forgot the Synergistic Research quantum physics fuse in my Mytek!

Oh yeah, it sounds freakin' great...musicians in my living room, every night.

Tone with Soul

He also recommended that I first by a car battery if I could figure out how to mod it, since it is cheap ($50) and has about 1,000 Amps.

What I've used in the past for some of my own gear, instead of a huge car battery I've used smaller 12V motorcycle batteries. Many of the motorcycle battery models also have more suitable connectors (the round taps commonly used on car batteries are not very convenient).

AGM type are safer than the old style wet batteries, but require a charger that can correctly charge those.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

What I've used in the past for some of my own gear, instead of a huge car battery I've used smaller 12V motorcycle batteries. Many of the motorcycle battery models also have more suitable connectors (the round taps commonly used on car batteries are not very convenient).

AGM type are safer than the old style wet batteries, but require a charger that can correctly charge those.

The "audiophile" solution for this setup is a 12V AGM battery (cheap and small) and a CTEK charger. These are "closed" batteries - better suited for in your home use.

Memory tells me that the preferred smart chargers are the CTEK 3300 and the 7000 series. I think those are the low noise ones. Check if you are interested.

Amazon.com: agm 12v battery - Camera & Photo: Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C04SSNK/ref=s9_hps_bw_g421_i9

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The "audiophile" solution for this setup is a 12V AGM battery (cheap and small) and a CTEK charger. These are "closed" batteries - better suited for in your home use.

Memory tells me that the preferred smart chargers are the CTEK 3300 and the 7000 series. I think those are the low noise ones. Check if you are interested.

I think I have this model for temporary charging my bike, boat and accessory batteries (I have a separate fixed Cristec charger for frequent use at boat):

CTEK Ylläpitolaturi MXS 5.0 12V/5A | Motonet Oy

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I think I have this model for temporary charging my bike, boat and accessory batteries (I have a separate fixed Cristec charger for frequent use at boat):

CTEK Ylläpitolaturi MXS 5.0 12V/5A | Motonet Oy

The US and European models of CTEK chargers are slightly different, AFAIR, with different model numbers. I don't remember all the details. I just remember that a few years ago when I dealt with it that there are specific models considered "low noise" and suitable for audiophile use.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Firedog:

Thanks for the 12V AMG / CTEK recommendation.

Have you tried this combination before?

I looked at the AMG batteries and the CTEK charges and it seems a little confusing to me ( What type of cable I would need to go from battery to the Brooklyn, would I also need a battery case, cables from charger to battery, etc).

Do you think it is just easier/ better to buy an audio quality external LPSU?

If you could point me in the direction of a cable from battery to the Brooklyn that would also be helpful ( I think I read on this thread it is 2.5MM plug)?

Also, if anyone else is using this solution, pics would be helpful.

Thanks again for everyone's help and input!!

Firedog:

Thanks for the 12V AMG / CTEK recommendation.

Have you tried this combination before?

I looked at the AMG batteries and the CTEK charges and it seems a little confusing to me ( What type of cable I would need to go from battery to the Brooklyn, would I also need a battery case, cables from charger to battery, etc).

Do you think it is just easier/ better to buy an audio quality external LPSU?

If you could point me in the direction of a cable from battery to the Brooklyn that would also be helpful ( I think I read on this thread it is 2.5MM plug)?

Also, if anyone else is using this solution, pics would be helpful.

Thanks again for everyone's help and input!!

I have heard this combination, haven't owned it. You don't need a case, that's the reason for the AWG battery. The CTEK comes with the cable to attach to the battery, I think, but just ask the vendor. I couldn't find a picture of a cable that would go to the Mytek. There are some people on the site who've used this kind of setup with Dodd Audio products. I think Jason (jwtrace) is one of them, so try a PM, maybe you can get a picture.

Probably easier to use an LPSU. You might want to wait a bit and let a few others be the guinea pigs in this area and then finds out what works best.

Thanks Firedog!

I will wait a while before a do anything ( at least until I actually get the Brooklyn DAC, lol, I am still awaiting shipment of my 12/4/2014 pre-order!)

Most likely if others are reporting increased sound quality and performance via an external LPSU, then I would prob take my changes on "made in China" LPSU like a Teradek or similar as opposed to the 12 V AMG /Charger combo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23677[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23678[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23679[/ATTACH]

..wat? ;]

Wow, that's a pretty nice setup you've got there. Could you elaborate a bit on what you're using there and how?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Regarding the PSU upgrade conversation, could this be a solution?

DC 12V 24V 5V Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply for LED Strip CCTV - UK | eBay

I can handle screwdrivers being an hvac technician myself so since It qualifies Michal's specifications as far as specs are concerned It is cheap enough to give It a try..

I would like your opinions though and would like to avoid the bulk and complexity of battery-caharger combos. A nice aluminum box

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Assorted-Extruded-Aluminum-Project-Box-Enclosure-Electronic-DIY-Instrument-Case-/221895737110?var=&hash=item33aa043f16:m:m18bktAkbkk94kJ7xSydkcQ

with this inside it would be a perfect alternative for me and a prettier and more practical one as well.

Michal if you can spare some time your opinion would be valuable.

Finally let me clarify that I am quite satisfied with the unit as is. But since this Switching PSU looks like the one the Brooklyn uses and It's chief designer Michal said that 15 amperes would bring a substantial upgrade i wouldn't mind experimenting..

For me, an external power supply would mean two things: hopefully even better dynamics, and hopefully not a degradation of the other musical affairs: clarity, depth, involvement and so on.

Being a bit scrupulous on energy matters, I have measured what the Brooklyn draws from the net: 2.6 Watt when idle, 11 - 12 Watt in use. And as it is now, I'm very content!

Marc

Wow, that's a pretty nice setup you've got there. Could you elaborate a bit on what you're using there and how?

Thanks for your interest - it's kind of a broad question of what is going on that would probably take me a while to detail and probably not best suited for this thread...but, with regards to the Mytek Brooklyn's here is basically what I have (or will have) going on...

Mac Pro -> USB -> Mytek Brooklyn -> SM Pro Mpatch 2.1 -> SPL 2Control -> Focal CMS40

|

-> SPL 2Control -> Presonus sceptre s6

-> Rane AC225 -> 2X JL Audio Fathom f113

Other stuff of interest in the rack.. bunch of Black Lion Audio PM8 Summers, PUC2's, a BLA White Sparrow Dac, Mutec's new MC3+ USB -- lot of other stuff I can comment on later. Multiple studio monitor setups, pretty interesting audio routing system, also I will be testing with some Focal Electra 1008be's.

Lots of talk about power here...I will be feeding everything from a PerfectWave P10..unfortunately the unit I received was defective and I had to rip it out of my rack and I have yet to send it back. What was wrong with it? Zone A continually freaks out and the power blips like 100 times a minute... not good. That thing is one heavy mofo...don't do what I did and lift it yourself! My thoughts on power, yeah, you will probably see an improvement, but it all starts with your source. So for me as I have yet to see a true audiophile grade battery solution, I'll be sticking with the P10's AC->DC->AC regen method. Sure I could DIY it, but plugging a $2k DAC into some wonky DIY rigged power??? cmon... Anyway for now I'm using a Furman.. it's okay.

Will be testing the Brooklyn over next few days and will report back as soon as I have some initial impressions. Happy to answer any other more specific questions you may have.

Regarding the PSU upgrade conversation, could this be a solution?

DC 12V 24V 5V Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply for LED Strip CCTV - UK | eBay

I can handle screwdrivers being an hvac technician myself so since It qualifies Michal's specifications as far as specs are concerned It is cheap enough to give It a try..

I would like your opinions though and would like to avoid the bulk and complexity of battery-caharger combos. A nice aluminum box

3Assorted Extruded Aluminum Project Box Enclosure Electronic DIY Instrument Case

with this inside it would be a perfect alternative for me and a prettier and more practical one as well.

Michal if you can spare some time your opinion would be valuable.

Finally let me clarify that I am quite satisfied with the unit as is. But since this Switching PSU looks like the one the Brooklyn uses and It's chief designer Michal said that 15 amperes would bring a substantial upgrade i wouldn't mind experimenting..

This is what I have been considering:

Teradak DC12V 13A for NAS Audiophile HiFi DC 200W Linear Power Supply | eBay

a Teradak 12V 13A listed as "for NAS or Computer" it is $330 USA including shipping on ebay ( Ships from Hong Kong)

Also, another thing I've been looking at is. 12V 4.5A by Teddy Pardo which is $414 US plus shipping.

The Teradak is a good product. But a certain amount of them have issues, and the support from Teradak isn't great. There is some discussion here on the forum about their customer service.

The Teddy Pardo are very good and have a good rep. Teddy gives good customer service. He personally answers emails.

There is also the HDPlex - which is very popular among audiophiles - at about the same price.

Hello Everybody

Let me clarify this post further:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-new-digital-analogue-converter-brooklyn-26001/index11.html#post499728

MQA works but in the units sold so far is NOT ENABLED.

Just as described in my earlier post, I was streaming 2L MQA off internet throughout CES and it worked perfectly.

Brooklyn is at MQA LTD in UK now and needs to be fully tested and certified by MQA Ltd BEFORE we can offer this feature to customers. We are bound by license contract. This should happen very soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards, Michal at Mytek

Maybe I seem a bit impatient, but... how soon is very soon? I can borrow a Win laptop one week more, and I dearly hope to get the MQA update in time.

Marc

The Teradak is a good product. But a certain amount of them have issues, and the support from Teradak isn't great. There is some discussion here on the forum about their customer service.

The Teddy Pardo are very good and have a good rep. Teddy gives good customer service. He personally answers emails.

There is also the HDPlex - which is very popular among audiophiles - at about the same price.

Firedog:

Thanks for the info (yet again)!

I did feel like Teradak via ebay/ Hong Kong could be a little risky vs. Teddy Pardo, yet it is cheaper and higher amps (4.5A is the most Teddy sells for 12V). I have been emailing directly with him.

I am going to look into the HDPlex.

I plan on using the Mytek Brooklyn "as is" at first anyhow, but I do suspect that an external LPSU will deliver increased performance and SQ.

This is what I have been considering:

Teradak DC12V 13A for NAS Audiophile HiFi DC 200W Linear Power Supply | eBay

a Teradak 12V 13A listed as "for NAS or Computer" it is $330 USA including shipping on ebay ( Ships from Hong Kong)

Also, another thing I've been looking at is. 12V 4.5A by Teddy Pardo which is $414 US plus shipping.

Very nice but very expensive for that extra 5% of performance in a dac that already sounds absolutely fantastic as is. If I were to make such an investment I would first wait for other owner's feedback as well as the manufacturer's opinion. There may also be trouble with customs office to import this device (non EU approved such appliances usually get rejected)..

It might help to spin off a separate thread to cover linear supplies for the Brooklyn.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I asked Meridian today about MQA in their Explorer² USB dac. Here is the answer:

"Thank you for getting in touch with Meridian.

MQA Ltd have now issued full public release specification decoding libraries to their partners, which as you know include Meridian Audio. Our Engineering team is currently working on integrating these libraries into our software for testing in advance of full production release in the coming months."

FYI.

How about this for the Brooklyn? Michal?

Marc